Prop 8 Trial: Perry vs. Schwarzenegger

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Prop 8 Trial: Perry vs. Schwarzenegger

#101  Postby Tbickle » Aug 05, 2010 1:05 pm

mmmcheezy wrote:I have the hugest crush on Rachel Maddow!

I try to stay away from all nightly political or news based shows as I just get far too angry and or depressed by the state of our journalism, BUT I do love Maddow whenever I catch her.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#102  Postby natselrox » Aug 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Move over, girl. She's all mine. :bat: (But she's gay. So you have better chances.)
Last edited by natselrox on Aug 05, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#103  Postby pennypitstop » Aug 05, 2010 1:06 pm

natselrox wrote:
crank wrote:
DoctorE wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujoLI8Ej31U[/youtube]

I love it at the end with the Lars Larson caller saying they won't be happy until 'they impose gay marriage on all of us'. Damn, that woman has found us out, we're planning on making every straight couple divorce and the wives marry each other and same for the husbands.

Then she says it will get overturned, that time would set it all right. You can hear that bit of hysteria creeping in, that desperation, they know they are losing, she was whistling past the graveyard, time is winning out as the old fuckers die off and the youths accept it. Their ideology is a putrid rotting mass of medieval thinking that will soon be almost totally replaced.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

To Crank.

And :heart: to Rachel! :fly:

:clap:
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
pennypitstop

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#104  Postby mmmcheezy » Aug 05, 2010 1:07 pm

natselrox wrote:

Move over, girl. She's all mine. :batsy: (But she's gay. So you have better chances.)

She seems pretty devoted to her girlfriend. :waah:
But she's just so adorable--I love the pictures of her not behind the desk, with her crazy glasses and teenage boy wardrobe.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Sityl » Aug 05, 2010 1:09 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Barack Obama wrote:...With the increasing diversity of America's population, the dangers of sectarianism are greater than ever. Whatever we once were we're no longer a Christian nation - at least not just. We are also a Jewish nation and a Muslim nation and a Buddhist nation and a Hindu nation and a nation of non-believers. And even if we did have only christians in our midst - if we expelled every non-christian from the United States of America - whose christianity would we teach in the schools? Would it be James Dobson's or Al Sharpton's? Which passages of scripture should guide our public policy? Should we go with Leviticus, which suggests that slavery's OK, and the eating of shellfish is an abomination? Or we could go with Deuteronomy, which suggests stoning your child if he strays from the faith, or should we just stick to the sermon on the mount, a passage that is so radical that it's doubtful that our own defence department would survive its application? So before we get carried away, let's read our bibles now. Folks haven't been reading their bibles.

Which brings me to my second point. Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal rather than religion-specific values. What do I mean by this? It requires that the proposals be subject to argument and amenable to reason. Now, I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, to take one example, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice, I can't simply point to the teachings of my church or invoke god's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all. Now, this is going to be difficult for some who believe in the inerrancy of the bible, as many evangelicals do but, in a pluralistic society, we have no choice.

Politics depends on our ability to persuade each other of common aims based on a common reality. It involves compromise - the art of what's possible. And, at some fundamental level, religion doesn't allow for compromise. It's the art of the impossible. The god's spoken and followers are expected to live up to god's edicts, regardless of the consequences. Now, to base one's own life on such uncompromising commitments may be sublime, but to base our policy on such commitments would be a dangerous thing, and if you doubt that, let me just give you an example:

We all know the story of Abraham and Isaac. Abraham is ordered by god to offer up his only son. Without argument he takes Isaac up to the mountaintop and he binds him to the altar, raises his knife and prepares to act as god commanded. Now, we know things work out. God sends down angels to intercede at the very last minute. Abraham passes god's test of devotion. But it's fair to say that if any of us, leaving this church, saw Abraham on the roof of a building raising his knife we would, at the very least, call the police, and expect the department of children and family services to take Isaac away from Abraham. We would do so because we don't hear what Abraham hears. We don't see what Abraham sees. And so the best we can do is act in accordance with those things that we all see and that we all hear. The common laws of basic reason.

So, we have some work to do here, but I am hopeful that we can bridge the gap that exists and overcome the prejudices that all of us to one degree or another bring to this debate, and I have faith that millions of believing Americans want that to happen. No matter how religious they may be or may not be people are tired of seeing faith used as a tool of attack. They don't want faith used to belittle or to divide because in the end that's not how they think about faith in their own lives.

That jibes perfectly with his stance on this. He does oppose gay marriage, but he recognises that he can't come up with a universal reason for presenting it as law, that is amenable to reason.

My head just exploded. Obama went (in my views) from chocolate jesus to corporate whore over the last year and a half. Seeing that, I'm relieved to see that he didn't have a lobotomy when he took the oath of office. I'm so happy to think that, despite the fact his policies are republican, his intellect is sharp. I was very glad to hear him mention non-believers more than once.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Tyrannical » Aug 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Bypass the will of the people and advance your agenda through judicial fiat. How typical of the Left.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#107  Postby natselrox » Aug 05, 2010 1:13 pm

@Cheezy: I feel like floating in air when she starts to speak... Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

:heart:

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Aug 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Tyrannical wrote:Bypass the will of the people and advance your agenda through judicial fiat. How typical of the Left.

I know. It's horrible when things aren't decided by the will of the people. I'm still disugusted that Congress proposed that ammendment that allowed those pesky blacks to vote.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#109  Postby hackenslash » Aug 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:Bypass the will of the people and advance your agenda through judicial fiat. How typical of the Left.

I know. It's horrible when things aren't decided by the will of the people. I'm still disugusted that Congress proposed that ammendment that allowed those pesky blacks to vote.

hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#110  Postby Sityl » Aug 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Tyrannical wrote:Bypass the will of the people and advance your agenda through judicial fiat. How typical of The Left Constitution of The United States of America.

Fixed that for you.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Tbickle » Aug 05, 2010 1:20 pm

:lol:

Yeah, it's always better to leave the rights of people up to the whims of a group of people claiming moral superiority.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#112  Postby CookieJon » Aug 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Tyrannical wrote:Bypass the will of the people...

I wasn't aware that the citizens of the US put up with the Constitution against their will.

Why don't you just chuck it out if everyone hates it so?
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Weaver » Aug 05, 2010 1:24 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Barack Obama wrote:...snip

That jibes perfectly with his stance on this. He does oppose gay marriage, but he recognises that he can't come up with a universal reason for presenting it as law, that is amenable to reason.

Thanks for that - I agree with your assessment.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Weaver » Aug 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Should we let majority votes decide whether or not we can own guns?

Some rights are too important to be left up to the "will of the people" - they must be protected by judges who know how to read and apply the protections enshrined in the Constitution.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#115  Postby SPMaximus » Aug 05, 2010 1:28 pm

natselrox wrote:@Cheezy: I feel like floating in air when she starts to speak... Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

:heart:

Where is his adams apple? :whistle:

*ducks and covers*
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Sityl » Aug 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Weaver wrote:

I'd put down five that says Tyrannical broke out in a cold sweat at that idea. :wink:

Come here, Tyrannical :hug:

Sityl

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Well if you like her so much, why don't you marry her :mrgreen:
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#118  Postby natselrox » Aug 05, 2010 1:31 pm

SPMaximus wrote:
Where is his adams apple? :whistle:

*ducks and covers*

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#119  Postby mmmcheezy » Aug 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

Well if you like her so much, why don't you marry her :mrgreen:

I'm already taken. :nono:
Why oh why didn't I wait for Rachel Maddow??? Curse this perfect relationship with Mr. Cheezy! :rage:
[I was hoping we had a fist-shaking smiley, but alas, the rage smiley will have to do]
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Tyrannical » Aug 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Weaver wrote:

Some rights are too important to be left up to the "will of the people" - they must be protected by judges who know how to read and apply the protections enshrined in the Constitution.

There is an established method to change the constitution, and it is not by judical "imagination". No right ever existed previously, nor was it ever nvisioned by anyone that voted for the amendment the judge's ruling is based on.

It's judges like that which play fast and loose with intepetations and imagined rights to further their own personal political agenda that need to be investigated and impeached when the Republicans take over in early 2013.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs