Republican Watch

People who say "Democrats are as bad as Republicans" are almost as bad as Republicans.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Republican Watch

#1  Postby Seabass » Dec 25, 2017 7:04 am

Texas GOP candidate cites ‘Biblical law’ on homosexuals and vows to ‘gladly execute a convicted sodomite’

“I’d gladly execute a convicted adulterer, sodomite or bestialiter,” he wrote. “Biblical law is a blessin.”

In 2012, Kilgore legally changed his name to Larry SECEDE Kilgore.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

Re: Republican Watch

#2  Postby Rumraket » Dec 28, 2017 12:26 pm

While on the subject: http://theweek.com/articles/745252/how-crush-trump

How to crush Trump

Ryan Cooper

Liberals, do not expect Robert Mueller to save you from President Trump. Only politics can stop Trump and the Republican Party.

Many Democrats and liberals have spent 2017 fixated on the Russia-Trump story, especially the idea that Trump himself actively assisted Russian efforts to swing the election to him. Trump smells incredibly guilty of something, the circumstantial evidence is strong, and Mueller's investigation has already netted two guilty pleas (of George Papadopoulos and Michael Flynn) and one indictment (of Paul Manafort).

It is right and proper for this investigation to proceed. However, liberals should not delude themselves that it is definitely going to topple Trump like Watergate toppled Nixon. The American government is dramatically more corrupt than it was in the 1970s, and the Republican Party is rotten to the bone. If some smoking gun on Russia-Trump appears, there will be no Barry Goldwater-style intervention to usher Trump quietly from the White House.

On the contrary, it's highly likely that if Mueller gets close to the president, Trump will simply fire him, and the Republican elite will help him do it. Republican hacks are already whipping themselves into a froth by smearing Mueller (who was appointed head of the FBI by George W. Bush) as some kind of deranged communist, and using that as a convenient excuse to carry out a partisan purge of the FBI.

Republican congressional leaders, glorying in their latest transfer of wealth to the ultra-wealthy, will either look the other way — perhaps their upcoming plan to gut Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid — or join in the fun. The only Republicans who are meaningfully anti-Trump are a tiny handful of powerless, untrustworthy neoconservative warmongers.

(...)
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#3  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Dec 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Seabass wrote:Texas GOP candidate cites ‘Biblical law’ on homosexuals and vows to ‘gladly execute a convicted sodomite’

“I’d gladly execute a convicted adulterer, sodomite or bestialiter,” he wrote. “Biblical law is a blessin.”

So he isn't openly gay?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 31, 2017 6:21 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Seabass wrote:Texas GOP candidate cites ‘Biblical law’ on homosexuals and vows to ‘gladly execute a convicted sodomite’

So he isn't openly gay?

I so want to see a news item featuring this guy being caught knob polishing in a public toilet. Though he'd have to go some way to beat George Alan Rekers for lulz-worthiness in this regard. :D
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Dec 31, 2017 6:36 am

is there another country in the world where the walls and doors in the public toilets have huge gaps?
i'd expext non-gay homopobes in governments would gave put a stop to that by now.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Seabass » Jan 03, 2018 1:27 am

This is what happens when Republicans have their way.

North Carolina is no longer classified as a democracy

In 2012 Elklit and I worked with Pippa Norris of Harvard University, who used the system as the cornerstone of the Electoral Integrity Project. Since then the EIP has measured 213 elections in 153 countries and is widely agreed to be the most accurate method for evaluating how free and fair and democratic elections are across time and place.

When we evolved the project I could never imagine that as we enter 2017, my state, North Carolina, would perform so badly on this, and other, measures that we are no longer considered to be a fully functioning democracy.

In the just released EIP report, North Carolina’s overall electoral integrity score of 58/100 for the 2016 election places us alongside authoritarian states and pseudo-democracies like Cuba, Indonesia and Sierra Leone. If it were a nation state, North Carolina would rank right in the middle of the global league table – a deeply flawed, partly free democracy that is only slightly ahead of the failed democracies that constitute much of the developing world.

Indeed, North Carolina does so poorly on the measures of legal framework and voter registration, that on those indicators we rank alongside Iran and Venezuela. When it comes to the integrity of the voting district boundaries no country has ever received as low a score as the 7/100 North Carolina received. North Carolina is not only the worst state in the USA for unfair districting but the worst entity in the world ever analyzed by the Electoral Integrity Project.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#7  Postby Seabass » Jan 17, 2018 11:37 pm

California is the 6th largest economy in the world. It's one of the few states that actually gives a shit about education, pollution, and gun violence, and generally tries to remain in the 1st world. So let's break off 90% of it and make a red state! And of course the Russian trolls and bots are promoting the shit out of this crap.

The conservative lunacy in the US know no bounds. Pre-Trump, I'd have written these morons off as a ridiculous joke, but I've learned not to take anything for granted during these Trumpy times.

Seabass

Print view this post

#8  Postby felltoearth » Jan 17, 2018 11:44 pm

How much of the "red state" contributes to the GDP of California? I'm guessing not very much by this graph. Let the fuckers go.
Attachments
IMG_3791.PNG
IMG_3791.PNG (256.93 KiB) Viewed 12751 times
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 18, 2018 12:00 am

Heh, California could let these wingnuts go, and then have all the fun of pointing to a real "shithouse country" when their descent into full-bore neoliberal insanity leaves them unable to make fucking pencils without outside assistance ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Seabass » Jan 18, 2018 3:26 am

That's a lot of land a resources to give up. And the last thing congress needs is two more Republican senators.

Meanwhile...

Study: 42 percent of Republicans believe accurate — but negative — stories qualify as ‘fake news’

Seabass

Print view this post

#11  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 19, 2018 9:52 am

No surprise there. It's standard right wing practice to hand-wave away embarrassing data. It's a trick that the American ones probably learned from the time they spent schmoozing with creationists. Though our Tory psychopaths don't have that excuse. At the moment, mouthing off about how Jeebus wants to smite TEH GAYZ, and trying to peddle creationist shit about the dung dumpster moola scow and its decrepit captain, leads to you being pointed and laughed at here. But I'm sure the Tories here are working on that one.

Meanwhile, the American manifestation of this practice has become florid, not because of subtlety or ingenuity, but the opposite - it's become florid due to its practitioners being thick-as-shit blatant about their lying. They've adopted the position "we have all the power and the money, we can do what the fuck we like". Nothing that a good pandemic can't sort out. Though it would be nice if any pandemic concentrated its virulence on the fat, pampered rich bastards.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Alan C » Jan 21, 2018 4:42 am

I seem to recall some Russian interest in California breaking away, they'd love the US to shatter into individual states as much as they'd want the EU/Nato to break up so we're devolving back towards competing nation-states rather than moving forward.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Seabass » Feb 03, 2018 11:08 pm

The Atlantic: The CDC Is About to Fall Off a Funding Cliff—It's already planning to pull back on work that protects the world from pandemics.
Last October, I wrote that a large pot of money, dedicated to protecting the world from infectious diseases, was about to run dry.

In December 2014, Congress appropriated $5.4 billion to fight the deal with the historic Ebola epidemic that was raging in West Africa. Most of that money went to quashing the epidemic directly, but around $1 billion was allocated to help developing countries improve their ability to detect and respond to infectious diseases. The logic is sound: It is far more efficient to invest money in helping countries contain diseases at the source, than to risk small outbreaks flaring up into large international disasters.

But the $1 billion pot, which was mostly divided between the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and USAID, runs out in 2019—a fiscal cliff with disaster at its foot. As I wrote:

That money has been used well, to train epidemiologists, buy equipment, upgrade labs, and stockpile drugs. If it disappears, progress will halt, and potentially reverse. The CDC, for example, would have to pull back 80 percent of its staff in 35 countries, breaking ties with local ministries of health.

This is now coming to pass. Two weeks ago, Betsy McKay at The Wall Street Journal reported that the CDC, with no firm promise of future funding, is indeed preparing to downsize its work in 39 countries. Those include the Democratic Republic of Congo, which recently experienced its eighth Ebola outbreak, and China, which is currently undergoing its worst outbreak of H7N9 bird flu. Lena Sun of The Washington Post confirmed this report on Thursday, writing that “notice is being given now to CDC country directors” as the first part of a transition.

The CDC is not the only affected agency. USAID also received $300 million from the same dwindling pot of money, which it used to expand its work in the Middle East and Asia. Those programs may also have to shut down in 2019.

These changes would make the world—and the United States—more vulnerable to a pandemic. “We’ll leave the field open to microbes,” says Tom Frieden, a former CDC director who now heads an initiative called Resolve to Save Lives. “The surveillance systems will die, so we won’t know if something happens. The lab networks won’t be built, so if something happens, we won’t know what it is. We can’t be safe if the world isn’t safe. You can’t pull up the drawbridge and expect viruses not to travel.”
continued...

Seabass

Print view this post

#14  Postby Alan C » Feb 05, 2018 10:12 pm

What the fuck is happening in Illinois? I thought that was just a Blues Brothers scene.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... d_nn_tw_ma

Jones, who claims to be a Vietnam veteran, lays out his platform on his campaign website. It includes stopping illegal immigration, doing away with sanctuary cities and repealing and replacing Obamacare. His campaign slogan: "It's Time To Put America First."

Trumpenführer will be all over that.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby purplerat » Feb 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Alan C wrote:What the fuck is happening in Illinois? I thought that was just a Blues Brothers scene.

Jones, who claims to be a Vietnam veteran, lays out his platform on his campaign website. It includes stopping illegal immigration, doing away with sanctuary cities and repealing and replacing Obamacare. His campaign slogan: "It's Time To Put America First."

In fairness to Illinois, and specifically the district this is happening, the reason this guy is likely going to be the GOP candidate is that the district is heavily slanted towards Democrats.

That said this is absolutely pathetic for Republicans that they can't muster a better candidate if for no reason other than to save face. But this what happens when you pander to the fringe of your base for 20 years, your base becomes all fringe.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Alan C » Feb 05, 2018 11:24 pm

purplerat wrote:
Alan C wrote:What the fuck is happening in Illinois? I thought that was just a Blues Brothers scene.

In fairness to Illinois, and specifically the district this is happening, the reason this guy is likely going to be the GOP candidate is that the district is heavily slanted towards Democrats.

That said this is absolutely pathetic for Republicans that they can't muster a better candidate if for no reason other than to save face. But this what happens when you pander to the fringe of your base for 20 years, your base becomes all fringe.

I see, I just saw an article pointing out the district's slant. It's still disturbing.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Teague » Feb 08, 2018 11:10 am

Paul Ryan just got paid off by the Koch's for $500,000
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby aban57 » Feb 09, 2018 9:10 am

Source ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19  Postby chango369 » Feb 09, 2018 11:31 am

aban57 wrote:Source ?

Snopes has an article about it.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Tero » Feb 09, 2018 1:28 pm

You have to get the real news from The Onion:
...congressional leaders told reporters Thursday that they had put aside their partisan differences for the good of the nation’s military contractors.

https://politics.theonion.com/congress- ... 822844000P
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs