'Rogue' US soldier kills Afghan civilians

at least 16 civilians dead

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 'Rogue' US soldier kills Afghan civilians

#101  Postby Globe » Mar 12, 2012 6:16 am

quixotecoyote wrote:
Globe wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
Globe wrote:And I don't think anyone here blame the INDIVIDUAL SOLDIER.

Everyone should be blaming the individual soldier or soldiers who did it.

Globe wrote:Not that it makes it right, and not that the guy shouldn't be allowed to spend the remainder of his life in a facility where he can't hurt anyone else.

If the stories are right, the guy should be executed, not just because he's a murderer, but because he endangered the lives of his fellow soldiers by helping turn the civilians against them - and his execution would help alleviate that harm.

So you are going to solve the problem with people getting killed.... by killing yet another person? :scratch:
What do you think you are going to achieve by killing a little more and creating a little more grief?

Given the rampaging mobs after the Korans got burnt, I figure the Afghanis would appreciate the gesture.

I doubt it.
I don't think they give a shit whether that individual lives or dies.
I think they want to see the back of those they see as occupiers.
"Justice will be served!
As soon as I can find you a piece that hasn't gone rotten." - Globe

I don't accept sexism, no matter what gender is being targeted with an -ism.
Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Warren Dew » Mar 12, 2012 6:43 am

Globe wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
Globe wrote:And I don't think anyone here blame the INDIVIDUAL SOLDIER.

Everyone should be blaming the individual soldier or soldiers who did it.

Globe wrote:Not that it makes it right, and not that the guy shouldn't be allowed to spend the remainder of his life in a facility where he can't hurt anyone else.

If the stories are right, the guy should be executed, not just because he's a murderer, but because he endangered the lives of his fellow soldiers by helping turn the civilians against them - and his execution would help alleviate that harm.

So you are going to solve the problem with people getting killed.... by killing yet another person? :scratch:
What do you think you are going to achieve by killing a little more and creating a little more grief?

I don't say it will solve the problem - that would require a commander in chief that recognized the fact that the Afghan intervention has become pointless and counterproductive, and actually acts on that recognition, which doesn't seem like it's going to happen for a while.

What it will do is prevent this particular incident from doing too much more damage, by deterring other American troops from going on drunken rampages and by partially assuaging Afghan outrage that will likely also result in more deaths.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#103  Postby biscuit » Mar 12, 2012 6:44 am

Peter Brown wrote:My perspective.

The work is stressful. The Pentagon knows full well such work can lead to a mental breakdown, but even Army medics can’t say who that one person will be if any that tour or what might happen when they snap.

I’ve had a burnout. Nine years of accumulated pressure, fine one moment, gibbering out of sight in a closed room the next, six years on and still having mental issues after effects.

The man snapped, I feel sorry for him because he literally became someone else when he killed civilians and if he recovers, he might remember what happened like a bad dream where you see what happened but it can’t be you doing what you did, as I do.

Nobody knows for sure if he (or even they) was suffering from a mental breakdown. Of course this would be the best way for the military to report it for damage limitation. Some of the witnesses report him/them being drunk. It is not unusual for US soldiers to commit crimes while underthe influence of drink or drugs

"Strictly forbidden by the American military in Iraq and Afghanistan, alcohol has been involved in a number of crimes committed by soldiers there. Alcohol- and drug-related charges were involved in more than a third of all army criminal prosecutions of soldiers in the two war zones — 240 of the 665 cases resulting in convictions, according to records obtained by The New York Times through a Freedom of Information Act request. Seventy-three of those 240 cases involved some of the most serious crimes committed there, including murder, rape, armed robbery and assault, records of convictions show."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/12/world/americas/12iht-alcohol.4885466.html?pagewanted=all
biscuit

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Peter Brown » Mar 12, 2012 7:52 am

These people do have families you know.

Are you one of them? How do you know how they feel? Remember in the UK we had riots and a father’s favourite son was killed by rioters by a car. He didn't call for their deaths, he said no revenge killings I'm a Muslim and his father, I have my faith in Allah and Allah wouldn't want revenge murders. He was being the best follower of Islam he could be at that moment?

All you and I deserve is no cover up of what happened and how to prevent it in future if possible.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#105  Postby Rick » Mar 12, 2012 7:56 am

Oops . . .
Rick

Print view this post

#106  Postby sandinista » Mar 12, 2012 8:37 am

Peter Brown wrote:
These people do have families you know.

Are you one of them? How do you know how they feel? Remember in the UK we had riots and a father’s favourite son was killed by rioters by a car. He didn't call for their deaths, he said no revenge killings I'm a Muslim and his father, I have my faith in Allah and Allah wouldn't want revenge murders. He was being the best follower of Islam he could be at that moment?

All you and I deserve is no cover up of what happened and how to prevent it in future if possible.

wtf ate you on about? fathers favorite son muslim revenge faith murder whaaa? You take one, single example and think that explains something? Am I one of them? ffs, I don't have to be part of someones family to know it would hurt to have a family member murdered. I don't have to hit myself in the head with a hammer to know it's going to hurt either. :roll:
Our struggle is not against actual corrupt individuals, but against those in power in general, against their authority, against the global order and the ideological mystification which sustains it.
sandinista

Print view this post

#107  Postby Peter Brown » Mar 12, 2012 8:58 am

dupe message
Last edited by Peter Brown on Mar 12, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#108  Postby Rick » Mar 12, 2012 8:59 am

And just because they’re all sons of Islam, doesn’t mean they’re all the same, especially if they happen to be Afghanis.

Revenge-killings are well nigh a certainty.
Rick

Print view this post

#109  Postby Peter Brown » Mar 12, 2012 9:02 am

I don't have to be part of someones family

Yes you do if you are going to act and call for punishments in their name. Get used to it, this is a forum for thinkers and rational people.

sandinista wrote: I don't feel sorry for him at all, just his victims. Fuck him.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#110  Postby Peter Brown » Mar 12, 2012 9:09 am

Revenge-killings are well nigh a certainty.

Point being it doesn't make them right, or of much use. Real justice would what can we do to help, what can we do to prevent.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#111  Postby Peter Brown » Mar 12, 2012 9:20 am

Nobody knows for sure if he (or even they) was suffering from a mental breakdown. Of course this would be the best way for the military to report it for damage limitation.

Be a boring thread if no opinions could be made unless you were medically trained and actually there wouldn’t it.

So it has been suggested it was a mental breakdown, by me or the media, take your pick. It’s not like this guy has form for waking up doing a spot of PE and murdering a few babies before breakfast is it? And such things like breakdowns do occur in and out of military service, and break downs come in all forms, some bloody and some violent, so it is likely to have been that than a conspiracy just to kill kiddies by the Pentagon.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#112  Postby Rick » Mar 12, 2012 9:29 am

The world doesn’t run on what’s right, justice, or fair, Peter Brown.

If western politicians had a smidgen of decency, they’d pull the troops out of there immediately. The whole notion of sacrificing the lives of more young men in an exercise of futility, to prop up a totally corrupt regime and in a place where we never had any right to be to begin with, is plain obscene, inexcusable.
Rick

Print view this post

#113  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 12, 2012 10:39 am

Rick wrote:The world doesn’t run on what’s right, justice, or fair, Peter Brown.

If western politicians had a smidgen of decency, they’d pull the troops out of there immediately. The whole notion of sacrificing the lives of more young men in an exercise of futility, to prop up a totally corrupt regime and in a place where we never had any right to be to begin with, is plain obscene, inexcusable.

So handing Afghanistan back to the Taliban would be good outcome? For whom? For me, the prospect of handing the civilian population of Afghanistan back to those monsters is an obscenity. To think you could countenance handing a country over to people who throw acid in the faces of schoolgirls... Shame on you.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#114  Postby advaitya » Mar 12, 2012 10:44 am

Was creating Taliban an obscenity? Handing them back to those monsters? White man's burden comes in subtle hues these days.
advaitya

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#115  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 12, 2012 10:48 am

advaitya wrote:Was creating Taliban an obscenity? Handing them back to those monsters? White man's burden comes in subtle hues these days.

Why not both? Another wrong isn't likely to make it right, is it?
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Panderos » Mar 12, 2012 10:58 am

Maybe we should just spend 3 months conducting a large survey of Afgans asking them if they want us there or not, and bugger off if they don't.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#117  Postby advaitya » Mar 12, 2012 10:59 am

Made of Stars wrote:
advaitya wrote:Was creating Taliban an obscenity? Handing them back to those monsters? White man's burden comes in subtle hues these days.

Why not both? Another wrong isn't likely to make it right, is it?

Yup keep yourself on the mission to 'civilize' the other and right the wrongs. We've seen the outcome and more's to come.
advaitya

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Durro » Mar 12, 2012 11:02 am

chairman bill wrote: Were you trained in trolling, or does it just come naturally?

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Chairman Bill, if you are concerned about possible rule violations, please simply report them rather than backseat moderate yourself and run the risk of being sanctioned for personal insults.

Durro
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Peter Brown » Mar 12, 2012 11:24 am

In the end what choice will there be? Maybe take a leaf from Iran and train up female ninjas to protect the women from the men?
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#120  Postby sandinista » Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Peter Brown wrote: Get used to it, this is a forum for thinkers and rational people.

so what are you doing here?

Panderos wrote:Maybe we should just spend 3 months conducting a large survey of Afgans asking them if they want us there or not, and bugger off if they don't.

Bugger off would be the answer. Choosing between foreign occupation monsters and local monsters people will choose the local. IMO.
Our struggle is not against actual corrupt individuals, but against those in power in general, against their authority, against the global order and the ideological mystification which sustains it.
sandinista

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs