Second Scottish Independence Referendum Announced

Nicola Sturgeon At Bute House

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Second Scottish Independence Referendum Announced

#701  Postby electricwhiteboy » Mar 30, 2017 11:37 am

mrjonno wrote:The BBC will be accused of being biased both sides , ie it will be reasonable neutral

The beeb's reporting on grass roots rallies was from an alternate reality at times. To be fair a some of the criticisms of the Beeb's commentary were folk crawling out of their echo chambers.

mrjonno wrote:Does anyone read the Daily Mail north of the border?

More than the Scotsman and Herald combined, but about half of the what The Sun or Daily Record gets.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#702  Postby Byron » Mar 30, 2017 12:20 pm

How many unionists complain of BBC bias?

*Tumbleweed*

The clue's in the name. I doubt most are consciously biased, the Union's just assumed to be the natural order of things. It's just like social issues: the Beeb don't weigh up liberal and conservative arguments, they just assume that the moral fashion around metro dinner parties is self-evident truth.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#703  Postby electricwhiteboy » Mar 30, 2017 12:42 pm

The beeb's neutrality falls under the bracket of false equivalence in a number of areas.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#704  Postby ronmcd » Mar 30, 2017 2:26 pm

The Man Who Wrote Article 50 Says It’s “Balls” To Say Scotland Won’t Get Into The EU

Lord Kerr told BuzzFeed News that if Scotland became independent after Brexit, its entry back into the EU would be "very fast".

"The Scots have to leave the EU with the UK – if the UK leaves – then go independent," said Kerr. "Once they’ve been recognised all round as independent they can then knock on the front door marked 'accession'.

"That’s the bad news, but the good news is that it would be a very swift accession negotiation. The sort of rubbish people talk about – back of the queue, behind the Turks – that’s all balls because there is no queue.

"People who are declared eligible to join can join as soon as they’re ready to accept the whole of the acquis. Since the Scots would, presumably ... still be applying something very close to the existing acquis, they'd be in very fast."
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#705  Postby Tracer Tong » Mar 30, 2017 2:35 pm

It only takes one veto, you know, as the good lord knows.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#706  Postby ronmcd » Mar 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:It only takes one veto, you know, as the good lord knows.

It beggars belief that an independent Scotland would be refused entry.

It also beggars belief when people claim it.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#707  Postby Tracer Tong » Mar 30, 2017 2:57 pm

ronmcd wrote:

You mean, you disagree with me. You're not quite sure with what you disagree, of course, but I must be wrong somehow.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#708  Postby ronmcd » Mar 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:
ronmcd wrote:

You mean, you disagree with me. You're not quite sure with what you disagree, of course, but I must be wrong somehow.

So you honestly think an independent Scotland would be refused entry?
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#710  Postby ronmcd » Mar 30, 2017 3:07 pm

Interesting fact. During the last referendum, in BBC and STV debates on Scottish television, unionist politicians would say (I'm paraphrasing here) "Of course we would be in the EU :roll: The question is how long it might take, or what the cost would be, we wouldnt get any of the UK rebate, how many commissioners, why take the risk etc".

This was in contrast to the UK metropolitan media who said Spain wouldn't allow us in. They were behind the curve in the debate. Then once the infamous poll appeared showing yes ahead in the weeks before the vote, the BBC ITV and SKY sent their 'big hitters' north to trample over their Scottish editors, and the original nonsense arguments and language ("separatists") reappeared.

And they are back again now.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#711  Postby Tracer Tong » Mar 30, 2017 3:22 pm

ronmcd wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:
ronmcd wrote:

So you honestly think an independent Scotland would be refused entry?

No, but I don't think it won't be, either. Lord Kerr is painting a picture that could only be painted with a crystal ball, and I suspect he's intelligent enough to know it. For me, that makes what he says not only misleading, but dishonest.

It's important to understand how closely related the independence of Scotland and Catalonia are, namely how keen the Spanish government is to stop the latter from 'seceding' and how it views the secession of Scotland as possibly giving succour to the Catalan independence movement. You may find this an interesting read. I suggest reading it not from the perspective of "Prove to me that Spain will veto Scotland's (re)application to join the EU!!!!" but from the perspective of "A Spanish veto is a real possibility". For of course it is.

Some food for thought, by the way: in 2008, Kosovo declared independence from Serbia. What is the only Western European country that has, to this day, not recognised that independence?
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#712  Postby fisherman » Mar 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Toying with a veto

Could Spain veto an independent Scotland from joining the EU? González Pons said Madrid won’t do that but other sources said the decision hasn’t been taken yet, suggesting that the Spanish position will depend on the Catalan situation when, and if, an independent Scotland applies to join the EU.

Spanish threats, all to suppress domestic democracy. A lot of member states are just as screwed up, or even worse than the UK.
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#713  Postby Tracer Tong » Mar 30, 2017 3:45 pm

fisherman wrote:
Toying with a veto

Could Spain veto an independent Scotland from joining the EU? González Pons said Madrid won’t do that but other sources said the decision hasn’t been taken yet, suggesting that the Spanish position will depend on the Catalan situation when, and if, an independent Scotland applies to join the EU.

Spanish threats, all to suppress domestic democracy. A lot of member states are just as screwed up, or even worse than the UK.

I suspect the Spanish government would say that Catalan nationalists are themselves suppressing democracy, insofar as they're undermining the 1978 Spanish constitution. And so it goes on.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#714  Postby ronmcd » Mar 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:

Some food for thought, by the way: in 2008, Kosovo declared independence from Serbia. What is the only Western European country that has, to this day, not recognised that independence?

With this, you've just made the point as to why Scotland is NOT like Catalonia, immediately after saying they were alike.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#715  Postby ronmcd » Mar 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Kosovo is not recognised as a state by Serbia.
Catalonia is not recognised as a state by Spain.
Scotland if independent would be recognised as a state by UK. AND Spain.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#717  Postby ronmcd » Mar 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Now, if we're trying to say that a UDI SCotland, breaking away from UK without the agreement of Westminster, would not be accepted into the EU? (by Spain, at the very least)

Sure.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#718  Postby Byron » Mar 30, 2017 3:58 pm

As Ron says, Serbia doesn't recognize Kosovo's independence. The only way it'd be comparable is if Scotland goes the UDI route and Westminster refused to accept it. Spain's recognized many other countries that've split and joined the EU.

Rajoy's government are, I admit, being spectacularly unhelpful. They certainly don't speak for all the Spanish people. Regardless, the only whiff of a veto comes from the speculation of unnamed "sources." So far, all Spain's said is that she wants Scotland to apply, which could well come with some holding pen not dictated by Madrid.

Enough running scared of vetoes. Worse case, if Spain did veto Scotland -- and there's no indication the she will -- then Scotland joins EFTA, which brings EEA membership and advantages like the freedom to cut your own trade deals. Vetoes only threaten cowed nations. IScotland wouldn't be some supplicant, but a proud country with much to offer. The attitude should be that, if Madrid did try anything, Edinburgh would have every chance of making them back down.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#719  Postby ronmcd » Mar 30, 2017 4:00 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ship-of-eu
The country’s foreign minister, Alfonso Dastis, said Spain hoped the UK would remain together but added that a sovereign Scotland would have to “join the queue” to get back into the EU.

Ignacio Molina, a senior analyst as the Elcano Royal Institute and professor of political science at the Autonomous University of Madrid, says Spain is extraordinarily unlikely to use its veto, not least because the Scottish push for independence is profoundly different from the Catalan one.

“No one’s talked about a veto and I don’t think there will be one,” he says. “Over the past 20 years, Spain has recognised many states – Slovenia, Macedonia, Croatia, Estonia and Lithuania – which all won independence legitimately. The last country Spain recognised was South Sudan.

“Spain isn’t anti-independence even if, for obvious reasons, it doesn’t like countries becoming independent. There’s no reason why Spain wouldn’t recognise a legally independent Scotland. It would make no sense and be absurd.”

But he nonetheless discerns a coded warning in Dastis’s comments about Scotland needing to join the queue. As the foreign minister – a veteran diplomat whose last job was as Spain’s permanent representative to the EU – should well know, the notion of a membership queue is a myth.

“There is no queue. It doesn’t exist. [Scotland] won’t be behind Turkey. That’s the only contentious thing the Spanish government has said. I think the idea was to introduce a note of complication: to tell Scotland that it won’t all be so simple and easy.”
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs