Shadow cast over the success of the Rosetta Mission

By a shirt

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Shadow cast over the success of the Rosetta Mission

#921  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 29, 2015 9:10 pm

No problem, I get the gist. I don't doubt that women are also capable of such behavior, but I don't think that makes the behavior any less acceptable (if it is unacceptable). I'm sure there's women out there who would laugh at the guy's stupid shirt and tease him a bit for being such a raging heterosexual until he got the point and turned it down a notch, but:

1. We're talking about an apparently male-dominated environment, and there's some question as to why that is
2. We could reasonably assume that a woman going into science is going to be as much of a geek/as socially awkward as male scientists are, and aren't used to putting such obnoxious (if harmless) behavior in its place.

How should people deal with that? SHOULD they have to deal with that? I'm not really expecting definitive answers to these questions, I guess I just wanted to point out that it was a bit more complex than a dude wearing a shirt, even if that's all you ever see in the headlines. I do think the whole thing's been blown out of proportion, but the fact that we don't see as many women as men in these careers when it's never been easier for women to get into them is something that I've wondered about for a long time.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs