‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

An Exclusive Interview With Bernie Sanders

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#241  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 25, 2017 3:08 pm

So it is not an anecdote when you say it? It is about quality which is from your stand point pure anecdotal.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#242  Postby Sendraks » Oct 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:So it is not an anecdote when you say it?

Are you unable to parse the parts of what Fallible said which are anecdotal, from the parts which are not.

Here. I will help you.

Read the reports? Which ones, those you cherry pick or all of them? I use the system and have done for over 30 years. It hasn't failed me, or my mother, or my father, or my daughter, or my husband. 4 out of those 5 would be dead now without it, I'd be dead twice over. Your nonsense about the NHS not working is very clearly just that. If you had had any dealings with it at all instead of relying on your wonky judgement, you wouldn't even begin to argue that point. You were completely unaware of the NHS walk-in services, or that you can get appointments with a pharmacist. You thought that anyone who couldn't get an appointment with their GP had no recourse but to rock up at A&E. Basic ignorance, rectified with a simple question, but you chose to make false claims instead. There is no semblance of a balanced or informed opinion coming from you on this matter - even when I directly tell you what the NHS has done for me, you, speaking from the Netherlands, presume to tell me that it's shit and to just accept it. No one should believe a thing you say on this issue when you are prepared to actually try to tell a long-term service user that black is white.

The part in blue is anecodote but, also happens to be factually true (case in point, Fallible is not dead). At no point in the blue text does Fallible make any statements about quality, just the outcomes.

The part in red is not anecdotal.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#243  Postby Fallible » Oct 25, 2017 3:16 pm

She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#244  Postby willhud9 » Oct 25, 2017 3:17 pm

The EHCI does not seem very reliable, relies on arbitrary cut-offs to "score" countries and over all just reading that report has no rhythm or rhyme to why they score the way they do i.e. on what mathematical principle are they basing their points?
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#245  Postby Sendraks » Oct 25, 2017 3:29 pm

willhud9 wrote:The EHCI does not seem very reliable, relies on arbitrary cut-offs to "score" countries and over all just reading that report has no rhythm or rhyme to why they score the way they do i.e. on what mathematical principle are they basing their points?

Indeed. :thumbup: This is much the same as what Oliver was saying about the Commonwealth Fund report, in that the methodology applied to weighting the different criteria will greatly effect the overall result and indeed the methodology for determining the individual scores is also going to have an effect.

The other issue with ranking systems is that they can lead the layperson to draw all sort of erroneous conclusions about what the ranks mean. Any ranking system will seek to have a top performer and a bottom performer but, this might not actually mean a great deal in terms of the quality of service delivered to an individual. The difference between "best" and "worst" in real terms, might actually be very small. Also, a ranking could simply indicate how much a good performer needs to improve to be the best, as opposed to it meaning that they are bad in any way.

The ignorant will wrongly assume that lower ranked performers are somehow "failing" when, the evidence simply doesn't support that conclusion.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#246  Postby Teague » Oct 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
The man was only identified as Rick in Michael Moore's Sicko and apparently there is no way to verify Moore's story or the exact circumstances. But don't let that stop you from repeating it despite not even knowing where the story came from.

The fact that I remembered the story is good enough to crap all over your dumbfuck reply. It doesn't even matter if "Rick" is real or not, the facts of the outcome would be the same unless you wish to argue they wouldn't be?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#247  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 25, 2017 4:28 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:So it is not an anecdote when you say it?

Are you unable to parse the parts of what Fallible said which are anecdotal, from the parts which are not.

Here. I will help you.

Read the reports? Which ones, those you cherry pick or all of them? I use the system and have done for over 30 years. It hasn't failed me, or my mother, or my father, or my daughter, or my husband. 4 out of those 5 would be dead now without it, I'd be dead twice over. Your nonsense about the NHS not working is very clearly just that. If you had had any dealings with it at all instead of relying on your wonky judgement, you wouldn't even begin to argue that point. You were completely unaware of the NHS walk-in services, or that you can get appointments with a pharmacist. You thought that anyone who couldn't get an appointment with their GP had no recourse but to rock up at A&E. Basic ignorance, rectified with a simple question, but you chose to make false claims instead. There is no semblance of a balanced or informed opinion coming from you on this matter - even when I directly tell you what the NHS has done for me, you, speaking from the Netherlands, presume to tell me that it's shit and to just accept it. No one should believe a thing you say on this issue when you are prepared to actually try to tell a long-term service user that black is white.

The part in blue is anecodote but, also happens to be factually true (case in point, Fallible is not dead). At no point in the blue text does Fallible make any statements about quality, just the outcomes.

The part in red is not anecdotal.

Here is a case of "never mind the quality feel the width". It does not matter how many services are created to cover shortcomings but it is about quality and service.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#248  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 25, 2017 4:35 pm

This is not quality or service:

A&E waiting times: Huge spike in patients forced to wait more than 12 hours

Rise branded 'catastrophic' after 1,597 patients waited more than 12 to be admitted between January and March this year, compared with just 15 patients in 2012

This is just one of many reports of failures in the NHS. It is being starved of money.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Sendraks » Oct 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:This is not quality or service:

A&E waiting times: Huge spike in patients forced to wait more than 12 hours

Rise branded 'catastrophic' after 1,597 patients waited more than 12 to be admitted between January and March this year, compared with just 15 patients in 2012

This is just one of many reports of failures in the NHS. It is being starved of money.

Lets put this "failure" into context shall we.

In that time period, the official stats say there were 1,598,216 decisions to admit to English NHS hospitals.
So of the total number of admissions, only 0.09% waited for more than 12 hours.

Obviously no patient should be subjected to a 12hour wait and that is a goal the system strives towards but, you do need to consider that the overwhelming majority of patients do not experience that kind of wait.

I'm not going to pretend that there are no problems but, they are not nearly as big or as catastrophic as you make them out to be.

It remains the case that you have no evidence to support your assertion that the NHS is a failing system.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#250  Postby willhud9 » Oct 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Jesus, Scot is using the links and arguments that conservatives over here use against UHC. Crazy.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#251  Postby aban57 » Oct 25, 2017 5:23 pm

I jusst found an article written by Scot :D

http://newsthump.com/2016/05/24/nhs-doc ... onditions/
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#252  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Oct 25, 2017 9:58 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:You are shown that your 60% claim is wrong in one thread yet you just move on to make a whole thread about your erroneous claim.

From the article that Skymutt cited and quoted.

Kaiser's tracking poll in July found 53 percent in favor of having all Americans get their health insurance from the government; 43 percent were against that. Opposition climbed to 60 percent when people were asked to consider that such a plan would call for higher taxes for many. A slight majority also swung against a single-payer plan when respondents were told that former President Barack Obama's health care law would be replaced as a result....

—In his Times article, Sanders cited an Economist/YouGov poll in April that found a clear preference for expanding Medicare to provide health insurance to all — 60-23. The survey did not address the cost or tax implications of taking that course. That survey was conducted using an opt-in online panel recruited with internet advertising, a methodology criticized by some because of concerns that it does not reach a random sample of Americans....

—The Pew Research Center in June found 60 percent who believe the federal government is responsible for ensuring health care coverage for all Americans, with 39 percent disagreeing. That supports Sanders' contention that people want health care as a right. But ensuring coverage is not the same as paying for it. Support for a single-payer system registered at only 33 percent in that poll. Many of those who felt the government has a responsibility for making sure people have coverage instead supported a mix of public and private programs.

The problem with your source is that it does not seem to consider the total cost. Yes, taxes may be higher, but people will pay less in taxes than they have to pay for health insurance today. But when you only talk about raising taxes and not the fact that you won't have to pay for expensive health insurance anymore, you obviously get the answers you are looking for. Of course fewer people are going to want something if you mislead them and ask "do you want a more expensive system?".

In other words, the number showing how many people support single payer without tax increase is more reliable because the tax increase is more than made up for by eliminating expensive insurance policies.

They should ask people if they support SP when they have to pay far less for healthcare under such as system than they do today.

Oldskeptic wrote:And, you're just sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling, "La La La". The fact is that the more people learn about Bernie's plan and how it would be funded the less they are in favor of it. Support for single payer plans like Bernie's, after the public is fully informed, drops to 33%.

See above. This is false. When people are misinformed and think they will end up having to pay more, fewer support it. But the fact is that people will pay less.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#253  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 26, 2017 2:01 am

Teague wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
The man was only identified as Rick in Michael Moore's Sicko and apparently there is no way to verify Moore's story or the exact circumstances. But don't let that stop you from repeating it despite not even knowing where the story came from.

The fact that I remembered the story is good enough to crap all over your dumbfuck reply. It doesn't even matter if "Rick" is real or not, the facts of the outcome would be the same unless you wish to argue they wouldn't be?

Except that Michael Moore lies more easily than he tells the truth. Moore staged the gun gift at the bank in Bowling For Columbine, lied about not being getting an interview with Roger Smith in Roger and Me, lied about being from Flint Michigan...

So, what should we believe from an account that Moore says is true, but is impossible to confirm? I'm not quite ready to believe that what Moore says about Rick from Sicko, and in no way am I ready to believe that anything like what "Rick" related is common.

That just because you remember something is good enough for you is telling. It demonstrates that your criteria is based solely on whether it fits well with your already formed opinions or not.

Hey, I read somewhere that Bernie Sanders fucks baby baboons on secret congressional trips to the Antarctic , but I can't be bothered to find a fucking link or cite sources. It's enough that I read it somewhere. Does that work for you?
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#254  Postby felltoearth » Oct 26, 2017 3:42 am

Moore was born and raised in Flint, ok a suburb of Flint but that's splitting hairs.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#255  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 26, 2017 6:19 am

felltoearth wrote:Moore was born and raised in Flint, ok a suburb of Flint but that's splitting hairs.

That's it? I suppose that if that is your only objection that you agree that Moore did lie about the other things I mentioned.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#256  Postby felltoearth » Oct 26, 2017 9:44 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Moore was born and raised in Flint, ok a suburb of Flint but that's splitting hairs.

That's it? I suppose that if that is your only objection that you agree that Moore did lie about the other things I mentioned.

That was the most glaringly obvious one. Everyone knows Moore employs rhetoric in his film making. I wouldn't say the points he is making are untrue.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#257  Postby Macdoc » Oct 26, 2017 10:33 am

Not only rhetoric but the films were purposefully polemical to hammer the point home.

That he gets under the skin of the OS types simply means it's working ....my guess is OS has never watched any MM film in full and is just trotting out what he's "heard". OS doesn't like satire when it hits a nerve, :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#258  Postby proudfootz » Oct 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:Michael Moore lies more easily than he tells the truth.

:coffee:

I'm curious which rightwing website this 'fact' comes from.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#259  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Oct 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Wait times are heavily influenced by how people use emergency departments. If people are showing up with the sniffles and are made to wait twelve hours, they get no sympathy from me. If you're not seriously ill, you don't get seen until all seriously ill people are taken care of. Frankly, I think triage nurses should be permitted to tell people they're insufficiently unwell to be in the ED and that they need to make an appointment with their GP or go to urgent care. We don't allow that here though.

Anyways, long wait times don't necessarily mean sick people aren't getting treated promptly.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#260  Postby Sendraks » Oct 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Interestingly, in the English NHS the biggest demand on A&E services happens during the summer.

In the winter, the impact on waiting times is caused by the complexity of cases into acute services, rather than people coming into A&E. In English hospitals, waiting times (trolley times) are from when a person has been seen and triaged before being admitted into a ward. People just coming into A&E don't usually need to be admitted.

English hospitals have a 4hr waiting target, for a person to be seen, treated and discharged. The press frequently misrepresents this target as people waiting 4hrs for anyone to see them. That is not the case.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs