The Clinton Victory Thread

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Clinton Victory Thread

#1721  Postby laklak » Jul 13, 2016 2:35 am

Bernie will NEVER back down! He'll go into the convention and if 265 improbable things happen he'll be the PRESIDENT! He's a man of PRINCIPLE! He's NEVER sold out, not once in his entire career!

Oh wait. Never mind.

HILLARY! HILLARY! HILLARY!

Lol.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1722  Postby Byron » Jul 13, 2016 5:27 am

Some of Sanders' more enthusiastic fans may've said that, but the man himself is a pragmatist, and knows full and well that with the primaries over, it's a choice between Clinton and Trump. Still, good to know we've averted an endorsement of the Donald, was worried for a microsecond there. ;)
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#1723  Postby quas » Jul 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Byron wrote:Some of Sanders' more enthusiastic fans may've said that, but the man himself is a pragmatist, and knows full and well that with the primaries over, it's a choice between Clinton and Trump. Still, good to know we've averted an endorsement of the Donald, was worried for a microsecond there. ;)

Who's to say Donald's not a pragmatist, like all other politicians are?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#1724  Postby Sendraks » Jul 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Byron wrote:

Glad that formality's out the way (and with it, all the third party talk). Now, for pity's sake, hurry up and Veep him.

This would surely be a winning ticket. But, it really depends on the extent to which Clinton and Sanders differences inhibit them from working together.

But, it'd be a nice outcome.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#1725  Postby Wilbur » Jul 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Sendraks wrote:

But, it'd be a nice outcome.

I don't know about "nice" but it'd be fitting - a bought in sould out shit who threw all his people over teaming up with a degenerate establishment bruja that can't fuck over the rest of us hard enough fast enough. The Ghoul and Turd 2016 ticket must really warm the cockles of the cuckolded heart.

Fuck Bernie.
Last edited by Wilbur on Jul 13, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baby hatred.
Wilbur
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1726  Postby Sendraks » Jul 13, 2016 12:44 pm

Uh huh
:coffee:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#1728  Postby Wilbur » Jul 13, 2016 1:09 pm

baby hatred.
Wilbur
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1729  Postby Wilbur » Jul 13, 2016 1:32 pm

#NEVERHILLARY #FUCKTRUMP #FUCKBERNIE
baby hatred.
Wilbur
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1730  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jul 13, 2016 1:43 pm

It would seem to make the most logical sense to VP Bernie. If they can work together would be the sticking point I would think. Still it would be a nice compromise to those who wanted Bernie to win.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1731  Postby Wilbur » Jul 13, 2016 1:53 pm

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
baby hatred.
Wilbur
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1732  Postby quas » Jul 13, 2016 3:26 pm

Byron wrote:

Glad that formality's out the way (and with it, all the third party talk). Now, for pity's sake, hurry up and Veep him.

Hillary Sanders? If you want a good cop bad cop dynamic duo, why not Trump Sanders instead?
quas

Print view this post

#1733  Postby quas » Jul 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Wilbur wrote:#NEVERHILLARY #FUCKTRUMP #FUCKBERNIE

#THISELECTIONDAYSCREWYOUGUYSIAMGOINGHOME

quas

Print view this post

#1734  Postby proudfootz » Jul 13, 2016 8:30 pm

I'd rather some of Sanders' proposals and programs get a chance than have Sanders in the VP slot.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1735  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jul 14, 2016 12:45 am

Me too. I think he'd be wasted as VP and can do more good as a senator. I'm sure over the next few years Clinton will have no trouble eeking out a worthy position in the white house for Sanders but VP isn't it.

I just hope, in addition to doing everything he can to ensure Clinton becomes president, he persistently, firmly nudges her towards progressive reform.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1736  Postby Mike_L » Jul 14, 2016 1:34 pm

quas wrote:
Wilbur wrote:#NEVERHILLARY #FUCKTRUMP #FUCKBERNIE

#THISELECTIONDAYSCREWYOUGUYSIAMGOINGHOME

:this: is probably the best course of action that disenchanted Americans can take. Don't vote at all. Or spoil the ballot. Or offer someone less objectionable than Trump/Clinton as a write-in candidate.

Ideally, there should be an eyebrow-raising low turnout on election day.
According to Wikipedia voter turnout in the U.S. presidential election (since the mid-2000s) has been around 55%.
Imagine if turnout for the 2016 election dropped way below 20%. That would send an unmistakable message that the system as it stands is no longer representative of the will of the American people.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1737  Postby Briton » Jul 14, 2016 1:39 pm

I would only vote for Clinton (actually against Trump) if i lived in a swing state. Do they count spoiled papers in the states?
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1738  Postby Mike_L » Jul 14, 2016 1:59 pm

Briton wrote:Do they count spoiled papers in the states?

Not sure. This suggests they keep some sort of tally...
The total number of spoilt votes in a United States election has been called the residual vote.

Vote Mickey or Bugs, I says... ;)
In the United States, cartoon and other fictitious characters are typically used as protest votes; as Mickey Mouse is the most well-known and well-recognized character in the United States, his name is frequently selected for this purpose as with Norman Evans. Other popular selections include Donald Duck and Bugs Bunny. The earliest known mention of Mickey Mouse as a write-in candidate dates back to the 1932 New York City mayoral elections, in which Mickey and Al Capone received one vote each.
Protest vote
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1739  Postby Teague » Jul 20, 2016 3:57 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Teague wrote:
Spastic continues to mean someone who's physically disabled. I'm assuming everyone here is thus in agreement that he should change his name?

Common, current usage, both in medicine and where I live, belies this assertion.

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Yep, most North Americans have no idea spastic is a slur for someone with CP elsewhere. Here it's a word used to describe irregular behaviour like irritable bowels or spontaneous muscle spasm. It doesn't refer to people except colloquially to call someone hyper.

Mong is just a slur that refers to people with Down's like retard. There is no cultural context in which it's benign. The people using it are using it as a slur with full knowledge it's a reference to people with Down's because it's used as such in the countries they originate from.

Old SS on the other hand used spastic to refer to his own energy levels and originates from somewhere it's not used as a slur hence he didn't even know.

Aaah so a case of special pleading then. Just because it means something different to you (like I originally argued but that wasn't good enough), it's ok then. I'll keep using the term "mong" then as they never heard about it in a few area in south america and greenland. :roll:
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1740  Postby Teague » Jul 20, 2016 4:24 pm

Sander's, by staying in the race has managed to secure a $15 minumum wage and Clinton is now adopting his education plan so you can thank him later for that.

Only a fool would think he wasn't going to endorse Clinton and, like he always said he would, he backed Clinton after losing the race so there's no big surprise there. Which bunch of fuckwits forgot that then?

Now Sander's needs to join the revolution and I believe he has plans to work on that so he's not done yet. What he should do is join wolf-pac and go for a convention. Get behind that movement could be massive. He'd have an army of supporters in every state willing to push through change after change.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs