The Clinton Victory Thread

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Clinton Victory Thread

#261  Postby Columbus » Apr 02, 2016 6:03 pm

Clinton has skipped campaigning in Wisconsin to focus on New York. She's willing to lose big in Wisconsin because not winning by 15 plus points in New York will be a total embarrassment to her and her campaign.

It's called pragmatism.
New York has so many more delegates than Wisconsin that boosting her win there could produce more delegates than the total number from Wisconsin.

I don't see why pragmatic behavior is so difficult for Sanders and Trump supporters to understand.
Tom
Nothing real can be threatened
Nothing unreal exists
Herein lies the peace of God
Columbus

Name: Tom
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#262  Postby Willie71 » Apr 02, 2016 6:26 pm

Columbus wrote:
Clinton has skipped campaigning in Wisconsin to focus on New York. She's willing to lose big in Wisconsin because not winning by 15 plus points in New York will be a total embarrassment to her and her campaign.

It's called pragmatism.
New York has so many more delegates than Wisconsin that boosting her win there could produce more delegates than the total number from Wisconsin.

I don't see why pragmatic behavior is so difficult for Sanders and Trump supporters to understand.
Tom

The point is that New York should be locked up, not slipping away. Bernie didn't need to worry about Vermont, did he?

Wisconsin could bring Sanders another 60 delegates or so. Bad idea to give them up, to save face in New York.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#263  Postby Boyle » Apr 03, 2016 12:51 am

To be fair Vermont has less people than San Francisco and is about as diverse as blended egg whites. New York has a lot more convincing to get done.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#264  Postby purplerat » Apr 03, 2016 1:02 am

Willie71 wrote:
Columbus wrote:

It's called pragmatism.

Tom

The point is that New York should be locked up, not slipping away. Bernie didn't need to worry about Vermont, did he?

Wisconsin could bring Sanders another 60 delegates or so. Bad idea to give them up, to save face in New York.

NY being Hillary's state is more perception than reality so no it really shouldn't be locked up so easily. I believe it's also the second biggest state left in terms of delegates so there's no reason to think it has anything to do with embarrassment.

Really these comments seem to be an attempt to find something, anything, negative to say about Clinton even when it flies in the face of basic logic.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#265  Postby proudfootz » Apr 03, 2016 1:22 am

The problem being that if Clinton can't secure her 'home state' that would be evidence she is a weak candidate like Gore losing his home state.

Imagine the hay people would make if Sanders lost his home state!

Yes, Clinton could still beat Sanders in the primaries but still be a loser in the actual election.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#266  Postby OlivierK » Apr 03, 2016 1:30 am

Bernie was born and raised and educated in New York.

Hillary's from Illinois, via Arkansas. NY's her "adopted" state, which is just a nicer way of saying she's a blow-in.

New Yorkers know a Brooklynite when they see (and hear!) one.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#267  Postby purplerat » Apr 03, 2016 1:39 am

yup. Not only is Bernie a native New Yorker but he's also served neighboring Vermont for far long than Hillary briefly was representing NY. Clinton is viewed as much if not more as a carpetbagger in NY than being any sort of representative of the state. What connect she does have is primarily NYC alone and even there Bernie still has her beat out as being the real thing.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#268  Postby Columbus » Apr 03, 2016 3:24 am

Apparently he is going to.
That is not a big deal. Not in huge urban states like NY, IL, and CA. He will probably win Wisconsin and get trounced in New York. But he will still get more delegates from New York than Wisconsin. I believe that they are both proportional election systems.
Tom
Nothing real can be threatened
Nothing unreal exists
Herein lies the peace of God
Columbus

Name: Tom
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#269  Postby Willie71 » Apr 03, 2016 9:54 pm

The media is starting to give Sanders some credit. Even discussing the possibility of winning New York. I chose the Morning Joe segment, but several outlets are reporting the same thing. Clinton is losing favour?

We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#270  Postby proudfootz » Apr 04, 2016 2:40 am

Columbus wrote:

That is not a big deal. Not in huge urban states like NY, IL, and CA. He will probably win Wisconsin and get trounced in New York. But he will still get more delegates from New York than Wisconsin. I believe that they are both proportional election systems.
Tom

New York is still in play.

I'm using 'home state' in the sense of where their political home is.

AFAICT no one thinks of Clinton as being from Illinois - her elective career is in New York.

Sanders won Vermont.

Will Clinton win New York?
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#271  Postby OlivierK » Apr 04, 2016 2:53 am

proudfootz wrote:
Columbus wrote:

Tom

AFAICT no one thinks of Clinton as being from Illinois - her elective career is in New York.

Sanders won Vermont.

I still think of Clinton as from Little Rock, AR, but I may just be showing my age.

What drew her to NY was her Wall St donor base. I'm genuinely clueless as to what the general NY attitude to Wall St connections is: are they proud of the fact that Wall St is in NY?
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#272  Postby Willie71 » Apr 04, 2016 4:46 am

OlivierK wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Columbus wrote:

Tom

Sanders won Vermont.

I still think of Clinton as from Little Rock, AR, but I may just be showing my age.

What drew her to NY was her Wall St donor base. I'm genuinely clueless as to what the general NY attitude to Wall St connections is: are they proud of the fact that Wall St is in NY?

From what I've read, there are those who benefit from Wall Street, who love it, but the general population is pretty anti Wall Street. This was from op eds, so it's not verified.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#273  Postby purplerat » Apr 04, 2016 1:48 pm

People in NY feel the same way about Wall Street as the rest of the country does. Much like Hillary NYers don't really view Wall Street as being "ours".
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#274  Postby Teague » Apr 04, 2016 2:59 pm

So Clinton wanted to debate Sanders at the NCAA finals, then at 7am in the morning after initially cowarding out of a debate at all. So having to debate she's now trying to make them when nobody will watch them.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#275  Postby Willie71 » Apr 04, 2016 10:30 pm

Nevada results change: Sanders actually won. It seems Clinton's delegates didn't show up handing the win to Sanders, she's more electable?

http://usuncut.com/politics/bernie-wins ... ic-caucus/
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#276  Postby Macdoc » Apr 04, 2016 11:23 pm

And Hillary comes out not only with a loss but terrible optics of win at any cost scheming. - from the article above.

On Friday night, accusations of cheating came from both sides, which resulted in the attempted removal of credential committee chair Christine Kramar.

“We caught the Hillary campaign cheating, we caught the Nevada Democratic Party secretary cheating,” said Angie Sullivan, another member of the credentials committee for the Clark County Democratic Convention. “When it was apparent Bernie started winning, they really turned up the heat.”

THESE were the elected officials for both candidates linking arms to prevent the police taking away the Chair at the behest of Hillary's campaign team

At the 1:20 mark of the video below, the officer reads the trespassing statute to the seated members of the credentials committee, but then reiterates that he won’t be arresting them.

“We were standing in solidarity with Christine, because we knew if we didn’t stand strong, it would affect the integrity of the credentials and the voting,” Glass said.

But despite the controversy, Sanders still pulled out a victory in Clark County. Watch the crowd erupt into cheers and applause when the final numbers are read aloud by a CCDP official (numbers are read at the 1:30 mark)

I like her even less now... :nono:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#277  Postby Willie71 » Apr 04, 2016 11:59 pm

Macdoc wrote:And Hillary comes out not only with a loss but terrible optics of win at any cost scheming. - from the article above.

On Friday night, accusations of cheating came from both sides, which resulted in the attempted removal of credential committee chair Christine Kramar.

“We caught the Hillary campaign cheating, we caught the Nevada Democratic Party secretary cheating,” said Angie Sullivan, another member of the credentials committee for the Clark County Democratic Convention. “When it was apparent Bernie started winning, they really turned up the heat.”

THESE were the elected officials for both candidates linking arms to prevent the police taking away the Chair at the behest of Hillary's campaign team

At the 1:20 mark of the video below, the officer reads the trespassing statute to the seated members of the credentials committee, but then reiterates that he won’t be arresting them.

“We were standing in solidarity with Christine, because we knew if we didn’t stand strong, it would affect the integrity of the credentials and the voting,” Glass said.

But despite the controversy, Sanders still pulled out a victory in Clark County. Watch the crowd erupt into cheers and applause when the final numbers are read aloud by a CCDP official (numbers are read at the 1:30 mark)

Every passing week, it gets worse and worse for Clinton.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#278  Postby GT2211 » Apr 05, 2016 12:10 am

Macdoc wrote:And Hillary comes out not only with a loss but terrible optics of win at any cost scheming. - from the article above.

HRC's campaign team asked for her to be removed days prior to any votes for leaking info.
http://heavy.com/news/2016/04/bernie-sa ... on-videos/

Saying 'despite the controversy Sanders still pulled out a victory'. That is in fact part of the controversy. He lost the vote in the county by 10%. That the candidate who lost by double digits comes away with more delegates is an indictment to the system. And its made worse by the county emailed delegates telling them they didn't need to attend Saturday's session if they were there Friday which meant they wouldn't be counted in the vote.
gt2211: Making Ratskep Great Again!
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

#279  Postby Willie71 » Apr 05, 2016 12:23 am

GT2211 wrote:

HRC's campaign team asked for her to be removed days prior to any votes for leaking info.

Saying 'despite the controversy Sanders still pulled out a victory'. That is in fact part of the controversy. He lost the vote in the county by 10%. That the candidate who lost by double digits comes away with more delegates is an indictment to the system. And its made worse by the county emailed delegates telling them they didn't need to attend Saturday's session if they were there Friday which meant they wouldn't be counted in the vote.

You might want to look into this a bit more. The Clinton letter was very clear to be there for the vote. The DNC wanted the chair out for not rigging the system for Clinton. She caught the Clinton campaign cheating.

I know, she'll get things done, and is the better candidate. :nono:
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#280  Postby GT2211 » Apr 05, 2016 12:30 am

Willie71 wrote:
GT2211 wrote:

You might want to look into this a bit more. The Clinton letter was very clear to be there for the vote. The DNC wanted the chair out for not rigging the system for Clinton. She caught the Clinton campaign cheating.

I know, she'll get things done, and is the better candidate. :nono:

What are you even talking about? Are you confusing the two separate Clinton letters along with the party one?
gt2211: Making Ratskep Great Again!
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs