The effects of Brexit??

How will Brexit affect UK and the rest of EU?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The effects of Brexit??

#61  Postby Globe » Jun 29, 2016 8:23 am

Warren Dew wrote:
Globe wrote:"The main one is economic, as the majority of people with British state pensions could see their income reduced. The United Kingdom keeps the value of retirement payments to its overseas nationals in the EU in line with the UK, but this doesn't happen with its retirees living in some other countries. The exact policy that the UK will adopt when it leaves the union isn't yet known".

I'm pretty sure the terms of the exit will be negotiated by people who have summer homes in Spain and such. I doubt they'll be the ones harmed.

I'm sure Globe's retiree friends will be allowed to stay: pensions paid by Britain being spent in Spain are not something sensible Spanish governments would turn down.

Ah but you see... It doesn't matter if the retirees are allowed to stay. (Btw my friends and neighbours work and have businesses, not retired)
Because they wont be able to afford to stay, especially not if they have to pay private medicare on top of all the other monthly expenses.
They most likely wont be given full pension, and a lot of them are just scraping by as it is.
"Justice will be served!
As soon as I can find you a piece that hasn't gone rotten." - Globe

I don't accept sexism, no matter what gender is being targeted with an -ism.
Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 29, 2016 8:33 am

Also heard that many were caught in a property trap and are unable to sell their houses.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#63  Postby mrjonno » Jun 29, 2016 11:15 am

A sensible restriction on freedom of movement would be only people working or likely to get work can move (which is the situation now but not enforced), good bye pensioners
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 29, 2016 11:32 am

mrjonno wrote:A sensible restriction on freedom of movement would be only people working or likely to get work can move (which is the situation now but not enforced), good bye pensioners

Most countries in the world dont mind pensioners as long they are not a burden on the state.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Warren Dew » Jun 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Fallible wrote:... the actual quote was 'the rich suffer tenfold more than the poor'.

Exactly why I made my comment. The poor weren't the ones going under the guillotine in the French Revolution.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#66  Postby Warren Dew » Jun 29, 2016 5:17 pm

Globe wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
Globe wrote:"The main one is economic, as the majority of people with British state pensions could see their income reduced. The United Kingdom keeps the value of retirement payments to its overseas nationals in the EU in line with the UK, but this doesn't happen with its retirees living in some other countries. The exact policy that the UK will adopt when it leaves the union isn't yet known".

I'm pretty sure the terms of the exit will be negotiated by people who have summer homes in Spain and such. I doubt they'll be the ones harmed.

I'm sure Globe's retiree friends will be allowed to stay: pensions paid by Britain being spent in Spain are not something sensible Spanish governments would turn down.

Ah but you see... It doesn't matter if the retirees are allowed to stay. (Btw my friends and neighbours work and have businesses, not retired)
Because they wont be able to afford to stay, especially not if they have to pay private medicare on top of all the other monthly expenses.
They most likely wont be given full pension, and a lot of them are just scraping by as it is.

I doubt they'll have to pay private medicare; if Spain doesn't cover British expats any more, Britain doesn't have to cover EU folks, so they'll have money to cover their overseas citizens.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Fallible » Jun 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
Fallible wrote:... the actual quote was 'the rich suffer tenfold more than the poor'.

Exactly why I made my comment. The poor weren't the ones going under the guillotine in the French Revolution.

Oh dear. Don't you think so? Maybe you need to read up a bit more about the whole thing. The Reign of Terror would be a useful place to start, although you can probably guess that it wasn't very nice from its name. You might also want to look into just how long it took to implement all those revolutionary promises mentioned, as well as all the battles going on at home and elsewhere involving the French at that time.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#68  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 29, 2016 6:02 pm

Warren Dew wrote:I doubt they'll have to pay private medicare; if Spain doesn't cover British expats any more, Britain doesn't have to cover EU folks, so they'll have money to cover their overseas citizens.

There wont be because the NHS fails to collect monies from other countries. It is just to much bother.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#69  Postby mrjonno » Jun 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Effects of Brexit, my sister in law voted out because she doesn't want Muslims coming to the country who will rape her children. My views I don't want people in this country with attitudes that tend to lead to concentration camps.

Avoiding her as I do believe I can shut up if she does I don't think she will and I will say something that will make my marriage very difficult
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby scott1328 » Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm

Fallible wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:

Oh dear. Don't you think so? Maybe you need to read up a bit more about the whole thing. The Reign of Terror would be a useful place to start, although you can probably guess that it wasn't very nice from its name. You might also want to look into just how long it took to implement all those revolutionary promises mentioned, as well as all the battles going on at home and elsewhere involving the French at that time.

One wonders how a dead aristocrat suffers more than a living, starving, ignorant peasant encrusted in filth.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Fallible » Jun 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Yup. The guillotine was brought in precisely because it was a humane method of execution. Yer plebs were hanged. Until the Revolution, that is, when the guillotine was decreed the only allowable method of execution regardless of social rank or nature of crime, so all your criminals and so on were put to it as well as the well heeled; in fact the first person executed by guillotine was a common criminal (robbery with violence). Thousands of people were executed that way during the years up to the end of the Terror, ridiculous numbers. Whichever way you cut it (haha), it's wrong to say the rich suffered tenfold more than the poor during that time, and death by guillotine is quite a bad example of suffering anyway.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Mazille » Jun 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Warren Dew wrote:

You know, politics aside, you should really read up on your history, man.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Warren Dew » Jun 30, 2016 1:27 am

Fallible wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:

Maybe you should read up on who got executed in the Reign of Terror, starting with Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Or do they qualify as "poor" by your lights?
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#74  Postby Warren Dew » Jun 30, 2016 1:31 am

scott1328 wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:

One wonders how a dead aristocrat suffers more than a living, starving, ignorant peasant encrusted in filth.

I'd much rather be the live peasant, thankyouverymuch.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#75  Postby scott1328 » Jun 30, 2016 1:41 am

We're talking about suffering. You made the asinine claim that rich suffer ten times more than the poor and then cited the French Revolution as proof. Dead people don't suffer.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Thommo » Jun 30, 2016 2:08 am

I have the strangest feeling that the commonalities between any post Brexit economic decline and the civil unrest and summary punishment of the French Revolution are likely to be thin on the ground.

I wouldn't suggest that it's in any way a good comparison, but I can't help feeling that the class distribution of the negative consequences of (say) the Irish potato famine might end up being slightly closer.

Sometimes this site is surreal. I got called pedantic numerous times last month, and yet here we are with a dozen people arguing about who suffered most and whether death counts as suffering in the French revolution in a thread about the effects of Brexit.

Please note - I do not intend any personal or individual criticism by these comments, we all get sidetracked sometimes, and I'm undoubtedly worse than most.
Thommo

Print view this post

#77  Postby scott1328 » Jun 30, 2016 2:12 am

The Irish potato famine? That was when Nicole Kidman's parents went to Kansas and she met Tom Cruise and they had a wagon race to claim territory and Nicole's rich parents cheated and got primo real estate
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Fallible » Jun 30, 2016 6:29 am

Warren Dew wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:

Maybe you should read up on who got executed in the Reign of Terror, starting with Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Or do they qualify as "poor" by your lights?

My degree was partly in the French Revolution, however I did check some sources before posting just to be sure. I didn't really need to, because it's fairly clear that you're trying to bluff your way through this. Everyone knows that the aristocracy and the King and his bint were put to the guillotine. Remember, your claim was that the rich suffered tenfold more than the poor at times like the French Revolution, and that it wasn't the poor going under the guillotine. 'Suffering' does not equal 'dead'. Death is when suffering stops. The turmoil during that period was great, with violence and deprivation being rampant, and the revolutionary changes taking years to be brought in. Who do you think fought in the battles and starved on the streets? Marie Antoinette? Secondly, it was the poor going under the guillotine. It was the only means of execution allowed. The guillotine was used for all condemned criminals and 'threats to the Revolution', regardless of social rank. There was a law. You're just plain wrong.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Fallible » Jun 30, 2016 6:31 am

scott1328 wrote:The Irish potato famine? That was when Nicole Kidman's parents went to Kansas and she met Tom Cruise and they had a wagon race to claim territory and Nicole's rich parents cheated and got primo real estate

Now this is someone who's done his reading. :nod:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Corneel » Jun 30, 2016 10:19 am

Warren Dew wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:

Actually Louis XVI was executed before the Reign of Terror.

Also,from wikipedia :
Among people who were condemned by the revolutionary tribunals, about 8% were aristocrats, 6% clergy, 14% middle class, and 72% were workers or peasants accused of hoarding, evading the draft, desertion, or rebellion.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs