The Hollywood Sex Scandal

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Hollywood Sex Scandal

#521  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 08, 2017 9:59 am

Mike_L wrote:The producer presents a rather strong argument in support of his thesis.

You've offered an opinion, here. What do you think makes the argument a 'strong' one? What do you take to be his thesis?

Without wasting 18 minutes watching the entire video, it looks to me like a recap of identifying a certain type of society as 'the good guys'. Such a thesis contradicts itself by suggesting that what makes it 'good' makes it vulnerable to destroying itself. I didn't watch enough of it to identify just who the narrator picks out as the villain of the piece.

The kind of confusion that prompts such a screed is difficult to imagine. On top of all that, the voice-over sounds synthetic. One suspects the producer not to be a native speaker of English, or someone with a speech impediment, or something like that, for whatever that's worth. And on your recommendation, we're supposed to entertain an argument by an anonymous you-tuber. Not that there's anything wrong with doing so purely for entertainment. You brought it to us, Mike.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#522  Postby SpeedOfSound » Dec 08, 2017 12:50 pm

That video gives me something to think about. I have always been shocked that the worst bastard in my friend group had all the girls falling over him, while nice guys just sat and watched in horror at what he did to them.

Anyay. Two links. I don't really give a fuck anymore about women's issues or rights. I am resigning from a life of fighting for equal treatment of women. Not for some intellectual reason but because I am just tired and confused and now callous.

Think about this one: https://qz.com/833003/election-2016-all ... hite-ones/

Now read Al's speech and ask yourself how Trump or Moore would have given this same speech, compare the intelligence and the tone: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/12/0 ... transcript

As for the woman I will now work tirelessly for the colonization of Venus because I really want you to all move there. I mean that in the gentlest possible way.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#523  Postby Thommo » Dec 08, 2017 1:11 pm

Mike_L wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:Now lets see how women fare in this New-Biblican bible thumping world. Way to fucking go Girl.

There's an entire thesis along these lines... that Western women are responsible for their own undoing, in that "feminism" and "female sexual permissiveness" are causing (or at least hastening) the collapse of Western civilization.
Needless to say, it's a slightly controversial viewpoint! The 18-minute YouTube video includes this disclaimer:
"The following content has been identified by the YouTube community as inappropriate or offensive to some audiences."
Those who decide to view it anyway can simply click on the blue button "I understand and wish to proceed".
Perhaps the reason that this video is merely restricted (as opposed to completely binned by YouTube) is that it is not entirely without academic merit. The producer presents a rather strong argument in support of his thesis. I think most people on this forum will find it outrageous, but I'd encourage them to watch it anyway... because it's a view that's probably going to gain traction as the demographics of European countries are gradually (or not-so-gradually) transformed...

'Why Women Destroy Nations / Civilizations -- and Other Uncomfortable Truths'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxpVwBzFAkw

I watched 4 minutes and did some fact checking on what I'd seen up to that point, and it certainly wasn't putting forward points that had academic merit.

Perhaps you could outline which points are strong, and where the academic merit for these points is?
Thommo

Print view this post

#524  Postby Mike_L » Dec 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mike_L wrote:The producer presents a rather strong argument in support of his thesis.

You've offered an opinion, here. What do you think makes the argument a 'strong' one?

(Replying to Cito, and also to Thommo...)
"Strong" was perhaps a poorly-chosen word. "Multiple supporting arguments" is a better way of describing his approach. Whether or not there's validity in his "thesis" is another question altogether. FWIW, I don't endorse the video, but I do find it interesting.

Cito di Pense wrote:And on your recommendation, we're supposed to entertain an argument by an anonymous you-tuber. Not that there's anything wrong with doing so purely for entertainment.

It works on that level ("purely for entertainment").

Cito di Pense wrote:You brought it to us, Mike.

I'm the bringer of much jollity. ;)
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#525  Postby Mike_L » Dec 08, 2017 7:09 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:That video gives me something to think about. I have always been shocked that the worst bastard in my friend group had all the girls falling over him, while nice guys just sat and watched in horror at what he did to them.

:nod: I can identify, having made similar observations in my own social circles over the years.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#526  Postby willhud9 » Dec 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Mike_L wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:That video gives me something to think about. I have always been shocked that the worst bastard in my friend group had all the girls falling over him, while nice guys just sat and watched in horror at what he did to them.

:nod: I can identify, having made similar observations in my own social circles over the years.

The poor wittle nice guys losing out the girls to the "bad" boys trope is bollocks.

Newsflash: Being nice is nothing special. Being the polite guy is nothing special. Being courteous is nothing special. Women expect that shit on default. Whining that your "asshole friend" gets the girls while the nice guys watch in horror at what they did to them is nothing short of projection. Obviously he has something that your other friends did not. Maybe backbone, confidence, and the ability to actually provide something unique to the woman aside from niceness? Nah, can't be that. She's obviously just looking for the bad boy adventure. :nono:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#527  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Dec 08, 2017 7:19 pm

willhud9 wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
willhud9 wrote:There is a pretty damning photograph of Franken sexually assaulting her though.

Link?

Ah yes, I've seen this one.

But... This is sexual assault?! She is wearing a bulletproof vest. Even if his hands were physically touching her, they would not be touching her boobs.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#528  Postby Mike_L » Dec 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Quite a lot of assumptions there, willhud.
willhud9 wrote:Whining that your "asshole friend" gets the girls while the nice guys watch in horror at what they did to them is nothing short of projection.

There's no "whining" and there was no "projection", because I was a disinterested (if not uninterested) party.

Obviously he has something that your other friends did not. Maybe backbone, confidence, and the ability to actually provide something unique to the woman aside from niceness? Nah, can't be that. She's obviously just looking for the bad boy adventure. :nono:

The woman I'm thinking of "played the field" into her early thirties, then settled down with an ultimate "nice guy". He's now in the process of divorcing her after she admitted to having a sexual affair with another man. Her "bad boy adventure" cost her her marriage. She's now in London, staying with her brother and looking for a job, having left three kids (8, 11, 13 yrs) with their father in South Africa.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#529  Postby willhud9 » Dec 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Mike_L wrote:Quite a lot of assumptions there, willhud.
willhud9 wrote:Whining that your "asshole friend" gets the girls while the nice guys watch in horror at what they did to them is nothing short of projection.

There's no "whining" and there was no "projection", because I was a disinterested (if not uninterested) party.

Obviously he has something that your other friends did not. Maybe backbone, confidence, and the ability to actually provide something unique to the woman aside from niceness? Nah, can't be that. She's obviously just looking for the bad boy adventure. :nono:

The woman I'm thinking of "played the field" into her early thirties, then settled down with an ultimate "nice guy". He's now in the process of divorcing her after she admitted to having a sexual affair with another man. Her "bad boy adventure" cost her her marriage. She's now in London, staying with her brother and looking for a job, having left three kids (8, 11, 13 yrs) with their father in South Africa.

Cool I wasn't talking about your specific example. I was talking about the idea that nice guys don't get the girl. It is a bullshit trope no matter what kind of silly anecdotes you'd like to toss around.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#530  Postby willhud9 » Dec 08, 2017 7:56 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
willhud9 wrote:There is a pretty damning photograph of Franken sexually assaulting her though.

Link?

But... This is sexual assault?! She is wearing a bulletproof vest. Even if his hands were physically touching her, they would not be touching her boobs.

What the serious fuck? It is 2017 and people still don't understand how groping laws work? :nono:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groping#United_States

The breast does not have to be bare. If I cupped a woman's breasts through a thick sweater without permission than I groped her. Period. That is a form of sexual battery.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#531  Postby The_Piper » Dec 08, 2017 8:00 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Link?

I agree, it's a stretch to call that sexual assault.
It's a disrespectful thing to do in this case, a shitty thing, but sexual assault should mean something more serious. It does in my state, the charge covers forcible and statutory rape, down to groping of genitals through the clothing, but boobs aren't genitals.
It's still potentially a crime, but a misdemeanor. The fact that she's wearing body armor is a mitigating factor, I'd think.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#532  Postby Mike_L » Dec 08, 2017 8:04 pm

willhud9 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: compressed
Mike_L wrote:Quite a lot of assumptions there, willhud.

Cool I wasn't talking about your specific example. I was talking about the idea that nice guys don't get the girl. It is a bullshit trope no matter what kind of silly anecdotes you'd like to toss around.

Well, according to this, you're both correct and incorrect...
Why Do Women Fall for Bad Boys?
Why do the wrong men feel so right? A new study offers some answers.
By Vinita Mehta Ph.D., Ed.M.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/head-games/201310/why-do-women-fall-bad-boys

It's not just a matter of who. It's also a matter of when.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#533  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Mike_L wrote:Well, according to this...

Sez the fellow who thought for a minute or two that the aforementioned wack youtube video was making some good points. Or at least functioning as some kind of entertainment.

I don't mean to denigrate your critical skills, Mike, because your guess is as good as mine as to what's going on, and citing the psychobabble literature is not somehow suddenly going to make your guess better than mine. I mean, really: Why would you not be happy with your guess being just as good as mine?

Could it be that there is (or perhaps is not) a realignment of vast forces and fluxes taking place in the realm of human affairs? Do forgive the pun. When somebody purports to tell me what's really going on in my affairs, I want that person to have a better idea than I do as to what's really going on down there, deep in the bowels of human culture.

Admittedly, I don't have a clue, so I'm just waiting for some genius or messiah to come along and tell me what's really going the fuck on, and Vinita Mehta, Ph.D., does not have the byline to get that ball rolling.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#534  Postby Mike_L » Dec 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:

Sez the fellow who thought for a minute or two that the aforementioned wack youtube video was making some good points. Or at least functioning as some kind of entertainment.

I don't mean to denigrate your critical skills, Mike, because your guess is as good as mine as to what's going on, and citing the psychobabble literature is not somehow suddenly going to make your guess better than mine. I mean, really: Why would you not be happy with your guess being just as good as mine?

Have you watched the video in its entirety?
Is the study done by Gregory Louis Carter just "psychobabble literature"?
Does one necessarily have a bearing on the other?
And I've nowhere stated that my guess is better than yours.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#535  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Mike_L wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

I'll tell you the same thing I tell to anyone else who wants to let a link or a youtube video do their talking for them, and that's to say that you must give your precis of what you think somebody is saying, so that if it sounds interesting, I can follow up by reading the link. If it's not interesting enough to you to do that, then you have no fucking business recommending it.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#536  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Dec 08, 2017 8:26 pm

The_Piper wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Link?

I agree, it's a stretch to call that sexual assault.
It's a disrespectful thing to do in this case, a shitty thing, but sexual assault should mean something more serious. It does in my state, the charge covers forcible and statutory rape, down to groping of genitals through the clothing, but boobs aren't genitals.
It's still potentially a crime, but a misdemeanor. The fact that she's wearing body armor is a mitigating factor, I'd think.

Grabbing tits or even pretending to is, at best, unfunny and, at worst, sexual harassment and an assault.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#537  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:
Grabbing tits or even pretending to is, at best, unfunny and, at worst, sexual harassment and an assault.

Don't you really mean to say, "Don't grab any tits or any other protruding or flapping body parts unless somebody has actually demanded that you grab them." Is that about right, Rachel?

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#538  Postby Mike_L » Dec 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mike_L wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

I'll tell you the same thing I tell to anyone else who wants to let a link or a youtube video do their talking for them.

Black Pigeon and Vinita Mehta, Ph.D. may each amount to nought, but together they may just be the genius-cum-messiah you're waiting for.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#539  Postby Mike_L » Dec 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:I'll tell you the same thing I tell to anyone else who wants to let a link or a youtube video do their talking for them, and that's to say that you must give your precis of what you think somebody is saying, so that if it sounds interesting, I can follow up by reading the link. If it's not interesting enough to you to do that, then you have no fucking business recommending it.

"Must give...?" :lol:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#540  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Mike_L wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:I'll tell you the same thing I tell to anyone else who wants to let a link or a youtube video do their talking for them, and that's to say that you must give your precis of what you think somebody is saying, so that if it sounds interesting, I can follow up by reading the link. If it's not interesting enough to you to do that, then you have no fucking business recommending it.

"Must give...?" :lol:

Do you want to interest me in any of your tasty little tidbits, Mike? If you don't, stop pretending that you do.

Mike_L wrote:

Why are you asking me?

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs