The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#241  Postby proudfootz » Mar 02, 2020 2:41 am

Face masks are unavailable, hand sanitizer is hard to get, and rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide is flying off the shelves.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#242  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Mar 02, 2020 2:57 am

That stuff we have in piles. Since I bleed at the drop of a hat my wife has an ER load of first aid stuff, which includes all of the above plus. A liter of hydrogen peroxide is out on the counter right now.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#243  Postby felltoearth » Mar 02, 2020 3:25 am

We went through SARS here. No biggie when it came to food. Stores remained well stocked.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#244  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 02, 2020 4:35 am

proudfootz wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:my worry is a isolated island would be like that cruise ship and suffer a explosion of cases. Safety is probably a city or town isolated by a farming landscape where the locals instantly put outsiders on the road out of town....sort of island, not a true island where there's no means of escape if it goes lame.

You're worrying about a hypothetical that really isn't attached to reality. You're not going to go and hop off to some island just to hide from a virus.

In the unlikely scenario where you find yourself in an infected area, the best thing you can do is stay indoors so that you don't come into contact with any pathogens. Stock up on dried fruits, canned goods, frozen vegetables and wait it out. All the comfort of your own home, and as safe from viruses as is possible to achieve.

I live on the West Coast of the USA. People are already flooding my local grocery stocking up on food in anticipation of COVID-19.

Just an anecdotal experience, but one data point.

It's not a terrible idea to be prepared, but obviously if everyone does it then things tend to go a bit crazy. I generally try to keep plenty of long term stores around anyway having experienced several life-stopping events here from coups, to militants locking down the streets, to floods all making it difficult to get out and about or buy stuff.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#245  Postby aufbahrung » Mar 02, 2020 6:10 am

I'm assuming the science will not achieve a breakthrough before society goes into meltdown, meaning a long slow adaption and population bottleneck of unknown size and scope. Social answers are best, learn a lot from the black death including how to survive...and how the most ordered communities crumbled whilst the more lax ones thrived. Feudalism and its ordered social structure gave way to the enlightenment, free movement and trade and artisans.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 152736.htm
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#246  Postby Thommo » Mar 02, 2020 6:16 am

Assuming? You're talking about a disease that's comparably fatal to flu, but vastly less widespread.
Thommo

Print view this post

#247  Postby gobshite » Mar 02, 2020 6:23 am

aufbahrung wrote:I'm assuming the science will not achieve a breakthrough before society goes into meltdown, meaning a long slow adaption and population bottleneck of unknown size and scope. Social answers are best, learn a lot from the black death including how to survive...and how the most ordered communities crumbled whilst the more lax ones thrived. Feudalism and its ordered social structure gave way to the enlightenment, free movement and trade and artisans.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 152736.htm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-22/ ... s/11991456
gobshite

Print view this post

#248  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 02, 2020 12:59 pm

aufbahrung wrote:I'm assuming the science will not achieve a breakthrough before society goes into meltdown,...

Translation: I had another rummage around in my navel, and I am proud to present this ball of pungent fluff.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#249  Postby Svartalf » Mar 02, 2020 1:14 pm

Thommo wrote:Assuming? You're talking about a disease that's comparably fatal to flu, but vastly less widespread.

For the time being, here, in France, they say the question is not whether the epidemic will reach stage 3 but when.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#250  Postby Thommo » Mar 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Does that mean this?

https://www.verywellhealth.com/understa ... ic-2615488
Phase 3: Small clusters of human beings have contracted the virus in one community. There is potential for the spread of the virus if others outside that community come into contact with those humans who are infected. At this point, the illness may be epidemic in that community, but it is not pandemic.

If so that sounds quite plausible to me (not that I really know anything), but some way short of "society goes into meltdown, meaning a long slow adaption and population bottleneck of unknown size and scope".
Thommo

Print view this post

#251  Postby Svartalf » Mar 02, 2020 1:34 pm

I'm not sure, I'm not familiar with our health service's protocols, but from what I understand from the news, stage 2, the current one, is that the germ is circulating in the country to a degree, and stage 3 is that it's widespread.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#252  Postby felltoearth » Mar 02, 2020 3:13 pm

Svartalf wrote:I'm not sure, I'm not familiar with our health service's protocols, but from what I understand from the news, stage 2, the current one, is that the germ is circulating in the country to a degree, and stage 3 is that it's widespread.

“Widespread” meaning what exactly?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#253  Postby Alan C » Mar 02, 2020 5:41 pm

Disinfectants, particularly wipes, flew off shelves at the local supermarkets around here. I'm not sure but some shelf labels referred to antibacterial products. if that's all they were affected then they'd be of buggerall use I would think. I did get a box for use in the car and some hospital grade spray to use on door handles etc, I've had a can at work prior to this virus to randomly use.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#254  Postby Fallible » Mar 02, 2020 5:48 pm

I carry hand sanitiser around with me, and try not to touch surfaces with bare hands.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#255  Postby The_Piper » Mar 02, 2020 6:15 pm

This is when slight germophobia and experience with food allergies/cross contaminating surfaces suddenly becomes an asset. :teef:
I already have an extra month's supply of asthma medicine and plenty of hand sanitizer, though the sanitizers are past their expiration dates. I'll pro'lly grab an extra bottle of bleach and put some in a tiny spray bottle. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#256  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Mar 02, 2020 6:54 pm

The_Piper wrote:... the sanitizers are past their expiration dates. ...

they should do just fine, unless you plan to drink them :cheers:
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#257  Postby The_Piper » Mar 02, 2020 7:38 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
The_Piper wrote:... the sanitizers are past their expiration dates. ...

they should do just fine, unless you plan to drink them :cheers:

I figured they'd be fine, maybe just use more of it. I'm a lazy germophobe, I rarely use hand sanitizer as it is.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#258  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 02, 2020 8:00 pm

Interestingly soap is still on all the shelves. The thing that we're constantly being reminded to use more. But face masks (the things with questionable benefits) are flying off the shelves.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#259  Postby Ironclad » Mar 02, 2020 8:37 pm

What is that spray the Chinese authorities are using any time after TV camera passes by? And more importantly, would anything sprayed under nooks and crannies kill a virus?
Do the Chinese have cockroach sized viruses! Oo
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#260  Postby laklak » Mar 02, 2020 8:55 pm

We've got our first "presumptive" case in Sarasota! Woot woot, up there with the big kids now. Been nice knowing all y'all.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs