UK Coalition watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Coalition watch

#7341  Postby chairman bill » Aug 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
smudge wrote:The only thing that is "bizarre" SD, is your posting style. And the regular 'toys out of pram' when people respond.

You keep calling me a Tory. A sick personal assault which is bizarrely (not at all bizarrely) permitted by the mods here. You're getting off lightly.

I don't think you're a Tory. Some of your posts are certainly far-right Tory-like, but in keeping with the right-wing of the LibDems. Further, you do offer apologetics for Toryism & the actions of Tories. I fully accept that that doesn't make you a Tory.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7342  Postby mrjonno » Aug 14, 2014 7:05 pm

SD choose to boast about 'tax cuts', you can't get more Tory than that. Considering the state of society at the moment that is purely sickening.

A real liberal would be considering tax rises and public spending increases to try and fix the mess we are in
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7343  Postby chairman bill » Aug 14, 2014 7:24 pm

mrjonno wrote:A real liberal would be considering tax rises and public spending increases to try and fix the mess we are in

No True Scotsman. Being a Liberal doesn't equate to knitting your own sandals out of brown rice & trimmings from your beard. Some are pretty nasty little right-wingers.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7344  Postby smudge » Aug 14, 2014 7:31 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
smudge wrote:The only thing that is "bizarre" SD, is your posting style. And the regular 'toys out of pram' when people respond.

You keep calling me a Tory. A sick personal assault which is bizarrely (not at all bizarrely) permitted by the mods here. You're getting off lightly.

Its the label that seems to fit your political position most to me.
If you care to make a decent argument (rather than throwing toys from pram) and explain to me why you self identify as a Liberal and specifically not a Tory, I may be willing to change my opinion.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7345  Postby Emmeline » Aug 14, 2014 7:32 pm

mrjonno wrote:SD choose to boast about 'tax cuts', you can't get more Tory than that. Considering the state of society at the moment that is purely sickening.

A real liberal would be considering tax rises and public spending increases to try and fix the mess we are in

I must be turning Tory then because I'm all for raising the personal allowance.

Re: public spending, I'm no economist but I strongly suspect that millions are either wasted or used inappropriately to benefit fat cats.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#7346  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 14, 2014 7:36 pm

mrjonno wrote:You talk about tax cuts when public services are being run to the ground, you don't get more Tory than that.

Run into the ground? By 2017, cuts will have taken public spending as a proportion of GDP back to 2005 levels.

By your logic, for the majority of Labour's term in office, public services were being run into the ground!

Given that the coalition cuts are a massive, er, 1% a year greater than the cuts planned by Labour, perhaps you could tell me whereabouts in that 1% do you draw the threshold between "Labour" and "As Tory As You Can Get"?

chairman bill wrote:I don't think you're a Tory. Some of your posts are certainly far-right Tory-like, but in keeping with the right-wing of the LibDems. Further, you do offer apologetics for Toryism & the actions of Tories. I fully accept that that doesn't make you a Tory.

I offer apologetics for some of Labour's actions too.

It's almost like I'm judging things on a case by case basis rather than playing pathetic tribal games, isn't it?
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7347  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 14, 2014 7:39 pm

mrjonno wrote:SD choose to boast about 'tax cuts', you can't get more Tory than that. Considering the state of society at the moment that is purely sickening.

These tax cuts disproportionately benefit LOW EARNERS.

Are you suggesting that only Tories want tax cuts for low earners?

mrjonno wrote:A real liberal would be considering tax rises and public spending increases to try and fix the mess we are in

Someone who was interested in honest debate would acknowledge Lib Dem plans to increase taxes in certain areas, like expensive property.

Someone who was interested in honest debate.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7348  Postby chairman bill » Aug 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I offer apologetics for some of Labour's actions too.
Really? I'm yet to read any

It's almost like I'm judging things on a case by case basis rather than playing pathetic tribal games, isn't it?
No
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7349  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 14, 2014 7:44 pm

smudge wrote:Its the label that seems to fit your political position most to me.
If you care to make a decent argument (rather than throwing toys from pram) and explain to me why you self identify as a Liberal and specifically not a Tory, I may be willing to change my opinion.

Frankly, I don't give a fuck what you think. Your opinions are of no interest to me, except insofar as you use them as a stick to attack me personally. Anyone taking my words as a whole and adjudging them to be "Tory" or anything like it has already proven that their motivation here is to provoke and incite.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7350  Postby chairman bill » Aug 14, 2014 7:47 pm

I disagree. Anyone taking your words as a whole, excluding those bits where you say you're not a Tory, might well conclude that you're a Tory. The only way I know you're not a Tory is because you say you're not a Tory.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7351  Postby smudge » Aug 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
smudge wrote:Its the label that seems to fit your political position most to me.

Frankly, I don't give a fuck what you think. Your opinions are of no interest to me, except insofar as you use them as a stick to attack me personally. Anyone taking my words as a whole and adjudging them to be "Tory" or anything like it has already proven that their motivation here is to provoke and incite.

:lol: There go the toys again! PMSL!
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7352  Postby smudge » Aug 14, 2014 7:58 pm

chairman bill wrote: The only way I know you're not a Tory is because you say you're not a Tory.

Is that a reliable way of 'knowing' Bill? :mrgreen:
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7353  Postby chairman bill » Aug 14, 2014 8:02 pm

It does raise a number of potentially problematic epistemological issues.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7354  Postby smudge » Aug 14, 2014 8:04 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7355  Postby mrjonno » Aug 14, 2014 8:14 pm

All the Lib Dem's so far have done is increase taxes for the low paid via tax credits and VAT.

Playing around with irrelevant tax brackets is just a way of trying to hide this. If you are paying any net tax and are earning under £20k you are doing something seriously wrong. When my wife was earning £12k she managed to get £8k on top of that in tax credits/benefits. You think she gave a shit want the tax levels were. In an ideal world that wouldn't be happening she simply would have been paid £20k a living wage, that's what 'liberals' should really be campaigning for

It's very simple only the rich/conservatives care about what the level of taxes they pay are, only the conservatives/rich talk about tax cuts
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7356  Postby minininja » Aug 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

Really?

Nick Clegg' plans to raise personal tax allowance 'will help better-off more than low-paid'
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7357  Postby ED209 » Aug 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Exclusive: Tory donor made a peer under false pretences, say Sikhs
Sikh leaders reject Government description of Lord Suri as a leading figure in their community

Downing Street deliberately created a misleading impression about a major Conservative Party donor who was awarded a peerage by David Cameron last week, The Independent has learnt.

Ranbir Singh Suri, 79, a jewellery magnate who is one of Britain’s richest Asians, was elevated to the House of Lords at the request of the Prime Minister. He has donated more than £300,000 to the Tories since 2004.

In its official citation for the new peerages, the Government described the new Lord Suri as a “businessman” and “former General Secretary of the Board of British Sikhs”. But The Independent has established that the Board has not existed for more than 20 years and only involved four or five people.

At the time of his appointment, Tory sources also described Lord Suri as a leading figure in Britain’s Sikh community. But one prominent Sikh organisation said this amounted to a “bare faced lie”.

The Sikh Federation UK said in a statement: “He is no leading figure in Britain’s Sikh community and he is not associated with any of the leading Sikh organisations. Many in the Sikh community simply see Lord Suri as a businessman who has donated large sums of money [to the Tories].”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 67510.html

Quick, tories! Say something about unions!
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#7358  Postby chairman bill » Aug 14, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm forming the Board of British Anti-theist Atheists, and hereby nominate myself as General Secretary. Anyone want to join?
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7359  Postby mrjonno » Aug 15, 2014 10:59 am

chairman bill wrote:I'm forming the Board of British Anti-theist Atheists, and hereby nominate myself as General Secretary. Anyone want to join?

Well I've fed up with atheists in the UK trying to copy American ones and play the oppressed minority card.

We aren't an oppressed minority, in fact we aren't a minority, time to do some oppressing of our own. Why as an atheist should I have to prove I'm a good person, what's wrong with being a bad person.

I do hope Chairman Bill is going to run a militant organisation, fed up with these non-militant atheists if you are going to be non-militant might well join the Church of England, Not as if they really do the god bit there anyway
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7360  Postby ED209 » Aug 17, 2014 10:58 am

Academies run by 'superhead' received advance notice of Ofsted checks
Whistleblowers say schools in Norfolk overseen by Rachel de Souza were able to prepare for visits days or weeks in advance

Academies run by a superhead praised by the government for producing schools that "outperform the rest" of the state sector had secret advance notice of Ofsted inspection dates, the Observer can reveal.

Evidence uncovered by this newspaper suggests that three schools in Norfolk, all overseen by Dame Rachel de Souza, knew of impending visits by inspectors days, and sometimes weeks, before Ofsted arrived.

One school was even able to draft in teachers who had never previously taught there to perform in front of inspectors, according to whistleblowers. Another, keen to make good on the advantage, was said to be a "hive of activity" in the days directly leading up to the inspection.

By law, schools can only be given half a day's notice of an inspection. Former education secretary Michael Gove has previously argued that schools should get no notice at all, to ensure that they do not evade proper scrutiny.

The revelations raise questions about the credibility of Ofsted, which has come under attack in recent years for becoming overly associated with the political goals of the government, including the promotion of the academy model, where schools are outside local authority supervision. Labour peer Baroness Morgan was removed as chair of Ofsted in May to be replaced by David Hoare, a trustee of the UK's largest academy chain, AET.

De Souza, a favourite of Tory ministers who was made a dame in the New Year honours for services to education, became an Ofsted associate inspector earlier this year, although the inspectorate denies this part-time role would have given her access to schedules of upcoming visits...

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ted-checks

More torydems in a nutshell:

1. Push an education system that removes local democratic oversight, introduces profit opportunities and centralises power in westminster.

2. Rig the inspection system to portray said ideologically torydem schools in a falsely favourable light.

3. Honours all round!
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs