UK Coalition watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Coalition watch

#7421  Postby chairman bill » Aug 23, 2014 12:33 pm

Looks like another illiberal act by this coalition government.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7422  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 23, 2014 3:54 pm

smudge wrote:You seem happy to freely dish out accusations of criminality to a certain group of people (those that are members of a political party that tends to oppose yours) and yet are quick to cry 'due process' when it comes to an individual that is within your political 'in group'.
It seems rather illiberal to tar every individual within the 'out group' with the same brush. It demonstrates a one eyed view if you don't apply your cry for 'due process' to individuals that are not in your 'in group' and may be members of an 'out group'.

It's not a complicated point.

No, it's just an idiotic point.

Give me ONE good reason why ORGANISATIONS and INDIVIDUALS should be treated the same.

chairman bill wrote:If Rennard can't be thrown out of the LibDems without formal proof of his guilt, then Blair shouldn't be tagged as a war criminal without the same. Your stance is a hypocritical one. Fact.

You just keep raising the same pathetic false equivalence again and again. Yawn.

And I always thought you were against the Iraq War too...
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7423  Postby chairman bill » Aug 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:You just keep raising the same pathetic false equivalence again and again. Yawn.
You just keep evading the simple equivalence again & again. Yawn.

Being against the Iraq War, is not the same as being against the facts. I don't expect facts to concur with how I see things. I would very much like to see Bush & Blair arraigned before the ICC, and if the evidence points that way, as I think it might well do, convicted. I would also very much like a formal International Court ruling on the legality or otherwise of the second Iraq War. Until that time, Blair is not a war criminal, and the war was not illegal. Inconvenient facts, but facts nonetheless.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7424  Postby smudge » Aug 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

Give me ONE good reason why ORGANISATIONS and INDIVIDUALS should be treated the same.

Er, no. Thats not the issue.
The point is that you feel its fine to throw around accusations of criminality at your opponents but are quick to cry due process when accusations involve a member of your in group.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7425  Postby chairman bill » Aug 23, 2014 9:58 pm

smudge wrote:The point is that you feel its fine to throw around accusations of criminality at your opponents but are quick to cry due process when accusations involve a member of your in group.

Which is hypocrisy, pure & simple. And very illiberal too. Fancy that.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7426  Postby mattthomas » Aug 24, 2014 8:41 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
smudge wrote:You seem happy to freely dish out accusations of criminality to a certain group of people (those that are members of a political party that tends to oppose yours) and yet are quick to cry 'due process' when it comes to an individual that is within your political 'in group'.
It seems rather illiberal to tar every individual within the 'out group' with the same brush. It demonstrates a one eyed view if you don't apply your cry for 'due process' to individuals that are not in your 'in group' and may be members of an 'out group'.

It's not a complicated point.

No, it's just an idiotic point.

chairman bill wrote:If Rennard can't be thrown out of the LibDems without formal proof of his guilt, then Blair shouldn't be tagged as a war criminal without the same. Your stance is a hypocritical one. Fact.

You just keep raising the same pathetic false equivalence again and again. Yawn.

Why are you trying to sidestep the fact that you referred tp Blair by name as a murderer and war criminal?
mattthomas

Print view this post

#7427  Postby ED209 » Aug 24, 2014 9:44 am

We know why :lol:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#7428  Postby mrjonno » Aug 24, 2014 9:46 am

The shear hypocrisy of the Lib DEm'scriticising a war policy that the majority of the Condem government supported. Well who cares as long as it gets them a cabinet car
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7429  Postby mattthomas » Aug 24, 2014 1:05 pm

mrjonno wrote:The shear hypocrisy of the Lib DEm'scriticising a war policy that the majority of the Condem government supported. Well who cares as long as it gets them a cabinet car

I disagree. Not a single broke the line... they all voted against.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#7430  Postby ED209 » Aug 24, 2014 1:59 pm

99% of blue tories voted for it vs something like 75% of labour, so today's torydem shambles is pro-war.

As we saw when both yellow and blue tories were united in trying to drag us into intervening in syria on the side of IS(IS) only a few months ago, but were fortunately defeated.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#7431  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 24, 2014 3:19 pm

smudge wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

The point is that you feel its fine to throw around accusations of criminality at your opponents but are quick to cry due process when accusations involve a member of your in group.

Stop the misrepresentation. I accuse the Labour government of illegally invading Iraq, because it is a fact that Iraq was (a) invaded (b) illegally (c) at the behest of the Labour government. There is no conflict between this fact, and the fact that Chris Rennard has not been found guilty of anything.

What a fucking cheek to accuse ME of double standards when this entire thread is one politically-motivated liefest!

I must say, though, I was under the impression that most of the Labservative supporters here were anti the Iraq War. Presumably only when it's convenient.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7432  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 24, 2014 3:32 pm

chairman bill wrote:
smudge wrote:The point is that you feel its fine to throw around accusations of criminality at your opponents but are quick to cry due process when accusations involve a member of your in group.

Which is hypocrisy, pure & simple. And very illiberal too. Fancy that.

I think we're all fully aware by now that you have an odd definition of illiberal.

Let me give you some examples of illiberal behaviour:

- Illegally invading another country
- Locking people up for months without charge
- Expanding the power of the state at the expense of the individual
- Extraordinary rendition and torture
- Imprisoning children
- Mandatory ID cards

Now, let me give you an example of some things that are not illiberal

- The principle of innocent until proven guilty
- Freedom of speech and expression
- Proportional representation
- Equal marriage rights
- Lifting low paid workers out of income tax

Hopefully these examples will enable you to avoid the same errors in future.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7433  Postby smudge » Aug 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
smudge wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Stop the misrepresentation.

The only one doing any is you. To the extent that engaging with you seriously becomes rather a waste of time.
Its often impossible to tell if you are actually serious, if you have misunderstood or are confused, if you are being intentionally provocative or are simply trolling.

Strontium Dog wrote:What a fucking cheek to accuse ME of double standards when this entire thread is one politically-motivated liefest!

:lol:
It must be all these other people then! Is that because you are a "valiant defender of Liberty" by any chance?

Strontium Dog wrote:I must say, though, I was under the impression that most of the Labservative supporters here were anti the Iraq War. Presumably only when it's convenient.

Totally fucking irrelevant.
The issue is clear to anyone who has glanced at the exchange. Your endless attempts to muddy the water are transparent and comical.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7434  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Oh, I agree, the agenda is perfectly clear. Labservative supporters want me to shut up about the Labservatives' illegal invasion of Iraq, because it makes their party look like the illiberal morality void that every real liberal knows it is. So they invent a false equivalence between my criticism of their party's illegal activities, and my belief in due process for individuals accused of wrongdoing. Then they hurl abuse at me for not acknowledging their divine right to do and say whatever they please, which, let's face it, all criticism of the Lib Dems in coalition is about. "You're Lib Dems, you're not supposed to be in power! Power is for the ruling Labservative Party, and the Labservative Party alone. Everything is your fault, even though you have less than 10% of MPs in the Commons."

One day tyranny will be dead, and the liberals will have slain it. Until then, I guess you just gotta roll with the punches.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7435  Postby smudge » Aug 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

Hopefully these examples will enable you to avoid the same errors in future.

:lol:
If you keep posting these amusing ditties we'll have to request a thread split to games and fun!
One could have hours of fun playing within those amusing lists...if only there were enough hours in the day! :lol:
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7436  Postby DaveD » Aug 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Oh, I agree, the agenda is perfectly clear. Labservative supporters want me to shut up about the Labservatives' illegal invasion of Iraq, because it makes their party look like the illiberal morality void that every real liberal knows it is. So they invent a false equivalence between my criticism of their party's illegal activities, and my belief in due process for individuals accused of wrongdoing. Then they hurl abuse at me for not acknowledging their divine right to do and say whatever they please, which, let's face it, all criticism of the Lib Dems in coalition is about. "You're Lib Dems, you're not supposed to be in power! Power is for the ruling Labservative Party, and the Labservative Party alone. Everything is your fault, even though you have less than 10% of MPs in the Commons."

One day tyranny will be dead, and the liberals will have slain it. Until then, I guess you just gotta roll with the punches.

Many of the people in this thread, myself included, aren't members of any political party, so most of that drivel fails immediately. The last flourish is simply quixotic nonsense.
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7437  Postby smudge » Aug 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh FFS! Nearly spat my tea all over my lap!

Classic, SD! :cheers:

One day....tyranny will be dead....(walks into the sunset. Or lamppost.) .
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7438  Postby chairman bill » Aug 24, 2014 4:10 pm

What is this 'Labservative' idiocy? When did Labour go into coalition with the Nazty Party?

Here's the thing - I think the invasion of Iraq was illegal, but that's just my opinion, it hasn't been established as fact. When an international court rules, let me know. 'Til then, claiming it was illegal is no more factual than any charge against Rennard. Similarly, your claims against Blair are of a kind - accusations, nothing more.

Something else you need to get your head around - criticism of the LibDems, or the Tories, does not equal support for any other party. In addition, support for a party, doesn't necessarily equate to support for every policy they come up with, nor every act they take in government. This might prove difficult for someone given to knee-jerk support & apologism for a party, but trust me, some of us are capable of more nuanced politics.

The other thing worth noting, is that liberalism is not the sole preserve of parties with 'liberal' in their name. I know, difficult for some to comprehend, but trust me on this one. Further, parties with liberal in their name, are capable of illiberal acts & policies. Worth remembering that.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7439  Postby Peter Brown » Aug 28, 2014 11:31 am

Tory economics explained in 6 seconds
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#7440  Postby THWOTH » Aug 28, 2014 12:04 pm

Tory MP seeks re-election as member of UKIP.

guardian.com wrote:Tory MP Douglas Carswell defects to Ukip and forces byelection
Carswell says he is resigning from parliament and standing for Ukip at a byelection in his Essex seat of Clacton

A hand grenade has been thrown into David Cameron's general election campaign after the Eurosceptic Tory MP Douglas Carswell defected to Ukip, triggering an immediate byelection.

Carswell, a leading member of the generation of Tory Eurosceptics, said he had endured sleepless nights in the runup to his decision.

He has decided to resign immediately as MP for Clacton, in Essex, guaranteeing a difficult byelection for the Tories. As the sitting MP Carswell will have an immediate advantage.

Sitting alongside the Ukip leader Nigel Farage, Carswell said: "It's nice to be a member of a party where I agree with the leader." Farage joked: "It is early days."...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... byelection
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs