UK Coalition watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Coalition watch

#7861  Postby minininja » Nov 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Two arsehole Tories today decided to filibuster to stop a bill that otherwise had cross-party support, which would have protected tenants against revenge evictions by dodgy landlords.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 91461.html
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7862  Postby chairman bill » Nov 28, 2014 6:52 pm

Disgusting stuff, but really it's just par for the course for the Nasty Party.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7863  Postby mrjonno » Nov 28, 2014 8:17 pm

chairman bill wrote:Disgusting stuff, but really it's just par for the course for the Nasty Party.

If the Tories are the nasty party what does that make UKIP?
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7864  Postby DaveD » Nov 28, 2014 9:12 pm

mrjonno wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Disgusting stuff, but really it's just par for the course for the Nasty Party.

If the Tories are the nasty party what does that make UKIP?

Rebadged Tories.
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7865  Postby Strontium Dog » Nov 28, 2014 9:52 pm

So, what is the reason Labour didn't bring this rule in during their 13 years in power?
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7866  Postby OlivierK » Nov 28, 2014 10:14 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

So, what is the reason Labour didn't bring this rule in during their 13 years in power?

Did the LibDem's raise the issue during Labour's period of government, only to have Labour dismiss it? (genuine question)
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7867  Postby smudge » Nov 29, 2014 8:28 am

minininja wrote:Two arsehole Tories today decided to filibuster to stop a bill that otherwise had cross-party support, which would have protected tenants against revenge evictions by dodgy landlords.

Depressing on two counts.
1) That it happened.
2) That I have to find out about it from Minininja on an internet forum and didn't notice ANY mention of it on the evening news coverage. Is it any wonder that so many people are disengaged with politics when our main TV news outlets think celebrities are more worthy of coverage than such things? Its a real effort to keep up with whats actually going on in politics and even then we have to pick through mountains misinformation and bias reporting. Pathetic.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7868  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 29, 2014 9:38 am

smudge wrote:
minininja wrote:Two arsehole Tories today decided to filibuster to stop a bill that otherwise had cross-party support, which would have protected tenants against revenge evictions by dodgy landlords.

Depressing on two counts.
1) That it happened.
2) That I have to find out about it from Minininja on an internet forum and didn't notice ANY mention of it on the evening news coverage. Is it any wonder that so many people are disengaged with politics when our main TV news outlets think celebrities are more worthy of coverage than such things? Its a real effort to keep up with whats actually going on in politics and even then we have to pick through mountains misinformation and bias reporting. Pathetic.

A hidden hand at work? I agree though. More interested in idiots copying American idiots on Black Friday.

Why dont they have thanks giving while they at it. I always said Britain should join the United States and leave Europe alone.

Like Cameron's latest:
David Cameron urges EU support for migration plans

David Cameron has urged other EU leaders to support his "reasonable" proposals for far-reaching curbs on welfare benefits for migrants.

Britain's prime minister said lower EU migration would be a priority in future negotiations over the UK's membership and he would "rule nothing out" if he did not get the changes he wanted.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-30224493

Well we will kick out of Europe all the British on that get benefits here. I wonder if he has considered that?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7869  Postby mrjonno » Nov 29, 2014 11:11 am

Am i the only one who thinks immigrants are basically a lot nicer more productive people than those who moan about immigrants (on the whole).

I would certainly rather live next to a Polish plumber than a zombie UKIP supporter
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7870  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 05, 2014 2:46 am

Meanwhile, an instance of what can only be described as rampant, venal and egregious corruption and graft has come to my attention.

Stephen Dorrell, who for four years held the Chair of the powerful Health Select Committee, and was instrumental in pushing through measures to soften up the NHS for piratisation, has now taken a job with KPMG, a company bidding on a £1 billion health service contract, but refuses to step down as an MP for the remaining six months of his tenure, despite his own admission that the new paid corporate post is "incompatible" with his status as a holder of political office.

From here, we read the following:

The Mirror told how the MP has begun working three days a week as a KPMG adviser. Mr Morris, a Health Committee member who served under Mr Dorrell, said: “There is obviously a conflict of interest. Just six months ago he was chairing the Committee.

“Now he advises a firm looking to benefit from NHS privatisation.”

Mr Dorrell told his local party he would step down in May because his new job would be “incompatible” with his role as an MP. But we revealed he will hold both posts for six months, sparking fury from doctors and health unions.

This latest development is also covered here and here.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7871  Postby chairman bill » Dec 05, 2014 7:40 am

There are loads of Tories with significant financial interests in private bodies that are bidding for, and winning, contracts to run NHS services. They should all be barred from holding public office.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7872  Postby The Hanging Monkey » Dec 05, 2014 7:53 am

I'd do more than that to them...
The Hanging Monkey

Name: Michael
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7873  Postby Fallible » Dec 05, 2014 7:58 am

mrjonno wrote:Am i the only one who thinks immigrants are basically a lot nicer more productive people than those who moan about immigrants (on the whole).

I would certainly rather live next to a Polish plumber than a zombie UKIP supporter

My daughter's friend from the Philippines, Kheana, is coming for tea later. During the recent 8-man (girl) sleepover, she was the only one out of all of them who offered to help me clear up the following morning. Polite and lovely, and about 10 times more sensible than the rest of them. She's welcome any time. Unfortunately my daughter's friend from Hungary, Noémi, dropped a bog roll down the toilet and ground Doritos into the rug. I guess people are just people after all.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7875  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 05, 2014 11:27 am

catbasket wrote:38 Degrees petition re Stephen Dorrell's conflict of interest. Over 98,000 signatures so far.

101,867 and counting as of 11:27 am today.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7876  Postby smudge » Dec 05, 2014 12:10 pm

Gotta laugh at the Tory whinging and whining about the "bias BBC" . Coverage on the day of Gideon's Autumn bullshit-fest was pretty soft- strange how the line seemed to harden once everyone had a chance to look at Gideon's figures and 'plan' in detail.
Poor Tories. A shame they have no friends in high places.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7877  Postby ED209 » Dec 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
catbasket wrote:38 Degrees petition re Stephen Dorrell's conflict of interest. Over 98,000 signatures so far.

101,867 and counting as of 11:27 am today.

An absolutely criminal level of contempt for the electorate. Torydems profiting from their NHS privatisation, which wasted billions of pounds of public money and for which they had no mandate, ought to be locked up :nono:

Speaking of which, in more bad news for the torydems their nasty and stupid prison book ban has been declared unlawful :coffee:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#7878  Postby chairman bill » Dec 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Oh well that's OK then. It means rapist Tories still get to be able to read stuff when they're banged up inside.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7879  Postby ED209 » Dec 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Yes, it seems the yellow tories had an influence in government after all :coffee:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#7880  Postby mrjonno » Dec 06, 2014 7:05 pm

Fallible wrote:
mrjonno wrote:Am i the only one who thinks immigrants are basically a lot nicer more productive people than those who moan about immigrants (on the whole).

My daughter's friend from the Philippines, Kheana, is coming for tea later. During the recent 8-man (girl) sleepover, she was the only one out of all of them who offered to help me clear up the following morning. Polite and lovely, and about 10 times more sensible than the rest of them. She's welcome any time. Unfortunately my daughter's friend from Hungary, Noémi, dropped a bog roll down the toilet and ground Doritos into the rug. I guess people are just people after all.

Immigrants are by their very nature going to be more adventurous, more determined to make a go of things and with a far smaller support network they know they have to succeed or they are going to be a lot of trouble.

The guts it takes to travel the world and make a go of things is incredible. I've worked in Switzerland before out of a hotel and hated it (not Switzerland just the experience of no roots or stability)
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs