UK General Election 2015

It is on, like Donkey Kong

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK General Election 2015

#1861  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 27, 2015 12:25 pm

chairman bill wrote:And do you know what? I've just realised how reading the shit that you write, is probably partly responsible for my hatred of the LibDems, maybe more so than anything they've actually done in office.

I'm sorry that my posting of uncomfortable facts, like the fact that dissatisfaction with the NHS is at an all-time low, so irritates you.

However, I'd suggest that if facts are causing such irritation, the problem is not with the facts.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1862  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:She's very much in a minority. Dissatisfaction with the NHS is at an all time low. Another coalition failure...

Evidence? or just another SD assertion?

Why don't you learn to use Google?

Which right wing think tank are you googling?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1863  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 27, 2015 12:30 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:She's very much in a minority. Dissatisfaction with the NHS is at an all time low. Another coalition failure...

Evidence? or just another SD assertion?

Why don't you learn to use Google?

Which right wing think tank are you googling?

The King's Fund is not a right wing think tank.

Lamentably piss poor trolling. Anything to avoid having to deal with the discomfort of reality, eh.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1864  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Oh you mean this bit:

It now seems certain that hospitals and other NHS providers in England overspent their budgets in 2014/15 by more than £800 million. This is despite nearly £900 million being provided by the Treasury or switched from capital budgets to plug the growing black hole in NHS finances. According to the regular survey undertaken for the report, almost 60 per cent of trust finance directors said that they were dependent on additional financial support or had drawn down their reserves in 2014/15.

The financial outlook for 2015/16 is even gloomier, with two-thirds of hospitals concerned about staying within budget over the next year. Although commissioners are more optimistic, 40 per cent of finance leads from clinical commissioning groups are also concerned about whether they will be able to balance the books in 2015/16.

Well done :thumbup: Crippled the NHS.

http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/articles/how-nhs-performing-april-2015

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1865  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Ignoring my point to push your own agenda. Well done.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1866  Postby ronmcd » Apr 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Worth reading from Alex Thomson of Channel 4:

Alex Thomson of Channel 4]Is St George now trying to slay the Sturgeon dragon?

I write from Inverness on St George’s day at a time when Westminster, London and England have rarely seemed so distant and foreign to so many – and that cuts both ways.

Not least because the main English parties are playing the nationalist card at every turn now in their St George-like attempt to slay the Sturgeon dragon.

Tricky ground for the English parties and the SNP, playing the nationalist card – especially for many north and south of Gretna Green.

Many Scots (and I am half English, half Scot) are enraged when they hear English politicians talking about a “constitutional crisis” should the SNP end up holding the balance of post-election power in Westminster.

You what? Seriously?

Here you will quickly be reminded that few English voices were ever raised when a Tory government was elected by other nations, to rule over Scots who never voted for them.

Again, and again, and again.

Many here will chuckle on St George’s day at the possibility that the English may get a taste of their own democratic medicine, should SNP MPs unelected in England, N Ireland and Wales, wield influence after 7 May.

Their good humour only warms at the sight of the John Majors, Boris Johnsons et al being wheeled out to talk Armageddon. It’s funny. It’s ironic.

And it is very echoey – the reverb of the Wave of Fear released by London during the referendum campaign back in the autumn.

Equally many here will cheer on English nationalism of the devolution kind. There’s enormous sympathy for Geordie, Scouse, Brummie, Mancunian or Cornish frustration with Westminster for obvious reasons – for those pushing regional English identity and regional devolution in England along the lines Nick Clegg has pushed recently.

Because they have tasted the Holyrood flavour here, and Scots of all parties and persuasions broadly approve its vintage.

Donald Dewar may or may not be spinning in his grave at what his limited Scottish devolution has become and how nationalism and national identity has developed.

Limited it was – past tense. The momentum has rolled on somewhat since then however. But its basis is not so much nationalism, Scottishness versus the English and Englishness, as that simple irony: Scots have had years of “constitutional crisis” to deal with.

Should it now be England’s turn then? As St George could have said but didn’t: “Saddle up and deal with it.”
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1867  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 27, 2015 2:41 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Ignoring my point to push your own agenda. Well done.

You had none.

It is not my agenda. I just was reporting the state of the NHS which you claimed everyone was satisfied with. Do people in Britain have so low expectations?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1868  Postby mattthomas » Apr 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

You had none.

It is not my agenda. I just was reporting the state of the NHS which you claimed everyone was satisfied with. Do people in Britain have so low expectations?

2014 data showed growing dissatisfaction with A&E services, but that doesn't matter because reasons...
mattthomas

Print view this post

#1869  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 27, 2015 2:56 pm

mattthomas wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

You had none.

2014 data showed growing dissatisfaction with A&E services, but that doesn't matter because reasons...

Strange how SD missed that :think:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1870  Postby chairman bill » Apr 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Oh, so that's the only metric is it? You need to get out more. Try a busy medical or surgical ward. Try a community mental health team. See the stress that staff are working under. See the staff near breaking point. See the staff who've had promotions frozen for seven years now. See the staff who are having their pay grades moved en masseto the next lower point because the service has to save money. Not just a 1% pay rise, but a 1% rise on a pay grade they're dropping. Staff on a Band 6 not getting any unsocial hours payments for working nights or weekends. Everyone working their socks off because of staffing shortages. Desperate that patients don't suffer, whilst staff are reaching a point of burn-out. And then having worked themselves to the bone, having been part of a contract bid that is £7million less than the private sector bid from a company with lots of Tory MPs & peers on the board or as shareholders, see the contract go to that private company. But hey, that's freedom 'n' liberty, and only people who hate freedom would complain.

And do you know what? I've just realised how reading the shit that you write, is probably partly responsible for my hatred of the LibDems, maybe more so than anything they've actually done in office.

I'm sorry that my posting of uncomfortable facts, like the fact that dissatisfaction with the NHS is at an all-time low, so irritates you.

However, I'd suggest that if facts are causing such irritation, the problem is not with the facts.

Ignoring my point* to push your own agenda. Well done.

* I replaced the majority of my post, the bit that constituted the main point I was making, which you accidently left out. Or something.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1871  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 27, 2015 3:15 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I just was reporting the state of the NHS which you claimed everyone was satisfied with.

I claimed no such thing. Stop lying, thanks.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1872  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
mattthomas wrote:2014 data showed growing dissatisfaction with A&E services, but that doesn't matter because reasons...

SD missed nothing, he just prefers not to cherry pick, and will instead look at the entire picture. I'll leave the selective ignorance to those attempting to push an anti-liberal agenda.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1873  Postby chairman bill » Apr 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Not an anti-liberal agenda, just an anti-ToryDem-fascist agenda. You simply don't look at the whole picture, you cherry pick that which suits your purposes (see my previous post).
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1874  Postby mrjonno » Apr 27, 2015 4:01 pm

What genuine liberal would support making people pay taxes so that others can get health care, ie the NHS?

That's actually an authoritarian view (which I have no problems with as I like authority when used wisely).
The Liberal view would be pay directly for your own health and charity looks after the unfortunate/stupid
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1875  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 27, 2015 4:15 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
mattthomas wrote:2014 data showed growing dissatisfaction with A&E services, but that doesn't matter because reasons...

SD missed nothing, he just prefers not to cherry pick, and will instead look at the entire picture. I'll leave the selective ignorance to those attempting to push an anti-liberal agenda.

How can you cherry pick from a heap of disasters.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1876  Postby ED209 » Apr 27, 2015 4:49 pm

It's basically like picking bits of sweetcorn out of shit, using a toothpick.

It's a thankless task but somebody's got to do it. Oh wait, nobody has to do it...
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#1877  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 27, 2015 5:27 pm

mrjonno wrote:What genuine liberal would support making people pay taxes so that others can get health care, ie the NHS?

That's actually an authoritarian view (which I have no problems with as I like authority when used wisely).
The Liberal view would be pay directly for your own health and charity looks after the unfortunate/stupid

Thanks for confirming that you don't understand what liberalism is. You fit in well here.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1878  Postby chairman bill » Apr 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Whereas you have a limited & fixed idea of what liberalism is
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1879  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 27, 2015 5:45 pm

Well the poor LibDems they are off wondering in the political wilderness. You cant blame them the poor dahlings. Following a leader into oblivion. Not nice you know.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1880  Postby Beatsong » Apr 27, 2015 6:53 pm

chairman bill wrote:Whereas you have a limited & fixed idea of what liberalism is

If it were fixed it would actually make more sense.

Jonno is right. Half the things that SD attacks as "illiberal" (such as high taxes on the rich, or high tax funding of centralised higher education) are things that the Lib Dems have, at various times, championed as much or more than Labour. But there is no logical or consistent rationale for when liberty should be tempered by other priorities - you basically just stick a wet finger in the air, see which way the wind is blowing and say "hmm, maybe now".

The only halfway consistent (let alone "fixed") application of "liberalism" as SD fetishizes it to government, would be an absolute libertarian abandonment of any concept of government at all. Of course the Lib Dems don't stand for that, and understand that that is not desirable. Their problem is the lack of a consistent and clear ideology for when, why and how that starting point of liberty should be moderated.

In SD's case, that problem is compounded by his penchant for having recourse to such naive and unnuanced conceptions of "liberty" whenever he feels like using them to attack policies he disagree with, while ignoring the fact that such naive conceptions are largely irrelevant to the actual process of government in the real world (even according to the Lib Dems' own approach and policies). And that they could be similarly used to attack pretty much anything that any government does ever, since the very idea of government is inherently illiberal.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs