UK General Election 2015

It is on, like Donkey Kong

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK General Election 2015

#1941  Postby nunnington » Apr 29, 2015 2:52 pm

Yes, I was just looking at the tabloids, who appear to be mocking this. WTF, so there are no go areas in elections, or people you don't talk to. Brand probably speaks for a fair number of young people, who are switched off politics, so you just ignore them? This sounds either elitist or frightened, or maybe both.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#1942  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 29, 2015 3:03 pm

Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1943  Postby infiniteentropy » Apr 29, 2015 3:26 pm

nunnington wrote:Yes, I was just looking at the tabloids, who appear to be mocking this. WTF, so there are no go areas in elections, or people you don't talk to. Brand probably speaks for a fair number of young people, who are switched off politics, so you just ignore them? This sounds either elitist or frightened, or maybe both.

The tabloids are threatened by new media. Did I really just use the term new media with a straight face. Nearly everyone I know that is under 45 no longer relies on the printed press or even on traditional TV or radio news but instead takes there news from a number of sources and also sites that analyse various stories.
infiniteentropy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1944  Postby chairman bill » Apr 29, 2015 3:36 pm

Brand has tapped into a huge sense of pissed-offness* with politics as practised in the UK at the moment. The establishment may well have cause to feel threatened by this body of people doing anything about it. Whilst they don't vote, and simply constitute a dissatisfied 'great unwashed', that establishment doesn't give a shit. When they start getting a bit necky, and have the temerity to raise their voices, they need to be put in their place. If they ever get organised, or get behind someone or some party that is, everything could change. Privilege is threatened, and so the news media are mocking Brand, hoping that will put these people back in their box. I don't think it will work. Miliband has used the S-word. Who knows what could happen next?

* This really should be a proper word
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1945  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 29, 2015 3:54 pm

chairman bill wrote:Germany has no HE tuition fees, so I fail to see why they're needed anywhere in the UK

Good point. Perhaps you can ask your leaders why they introduced them.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1946  Postby chairman bill » Apr 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Germany has no HE tuition fees, so I fail to see why they're needed anywhere in the UK

And you can ask your's why they increased them, and have now adopted a policy of keeping them. I think they're all wrong on this.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1947  Postby smudge » Apr 29, 2015 4:03 pm

Definitely right for Miliband to do the Brand interview. I'm not sure if it will make much difference but if he picks up some votes from youngsters engaged in politics all the better. No banana skin for the Tory press to leap onto.

What is it with Brand and invading peoples personal space?! Has anyone else noticed? He just leans in way too close- in your face literally.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1948  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 29, 2015 4:07 pm

chairman bill wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

And you can ask your's why they increased them, and have now adopted a policy of keeping them. I think they're all wrong on this.

Well I can tell you why we "increased" them, and that's because both Labour and the Tories were committed to implementing the Browne review, which recommended increasing them. By having Lib Dem input, we were able to get the threshold for repayments raised and various other improvements so that going to university actually works out cheaper for the poorest graduates than it did before.

With hindsight, we should have left Labour and the Tories to screw the students over together and reaped the electoral benefits, but there we are, silly Lib Dems doing the best thing for the country and being punished for it.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1949  Postby ronmcd » Apr 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
chairman bill wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Well I can tell you why we "increased" them, and that's because both Labour and the Tories were committed to implementing the Browne review, which recommended increasing them. By having Lib Dem input, we were able to get the threshold for repayments raised and various other improvements so that going to university actually works out cheaper for the poorest graduates than it did before.

With hindsight, we should have left Labour and the Tories to screw the students over together and reaped the electoral benefits, but there we are, silly Lib Dems doing the best thing for the country and being punished for it.

Comedy. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes less so.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1950  Postby ronmcd » Apr 29, 2015 4:15 pm

smudge wrote:Definitely right for Miliband to do the Brand interview. I'm not sure if it will make much difference but if he picks up some votes from youngsters engaged in politics all the better. No banana skin for the Tory press to leap onto.

What is it with Brand and invading peoples personal space?! Has anyone else noticed? He just leans in way too close- in your face literally.

Those who are attacking/ridiculing Miliband for this (including bbc news presenters I noticed today) are missing the point. Nobody is going to be put off voting Labour because Miliband (shock!) spoke to someone, and those who don't vote and respect the colossal cock that is Brand will listen to Miliband a little more, hopefully, and might actually vote. No loss in doing it.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1951  Postby chairman bill » Apr 29, 2015 4:46 pm

Brand represents the great unwashed, and Cameron was very dismissive. Hardly surprising - Brand has a regional accent FFS. One must maintain standards, if one is to be a Conservative PM.

I hope a lot of those disillusioned people now vote Labour.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1952  Postby nunnington » Apr 29, 2015 4:50 pm

I should think Cameron is panicking. He is being outfought, and if SNP win every seat, Labour are in with maybe 260 seats. Watch the right-wing press screech, it's illegitimate! I'm not mad on Miliband, but he is a fighter.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#1953  Postby mattthomas » Apr 29, 2015 4:51 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

Ed Milliband wasn't even an MP when tuition fees were introduced... Back to the old bollocks argument of faux monolithic organisations again I see :coffee:

I get where you're coming from, I'm scared of David Cameron upsetting the Argentinians because the Tories went to war with them when he wasn't even an MP. /Sarcasm
mattthomas

Print view this post

#1954  Postby minininja » Apr 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Find out which of your parliamentary candidates have pledged support for the NHS Reinstatement Bill. And if they haven't, please ask them to do so.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1955  Postby ED209 » Apr 29, 2015 5:39 pm

mattthomas wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Ed Milliband wasn't even an MP when tuition fees were introduced... Back to the old bollocks argument of faux monolithic organisations again I see :coffee:

I get where you're coming from, I'm scared of David Cameron upsetting the Argentinians because the Tories went to war with them when he wasn't even an MP. /Sarcasm

I suspect the reason SD jabbers on about labour policies from up to 20 years ago is that the yellow tory party wishes it were contesting the 1997 election, way back in the party's heyday.

As opposed to the 2015 election, when the yellow tory party is going to get fucked.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#1956  Postby ED209 » Apr 29, 2015 5:45 pm

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status ... 32/photo/1

Another poll showing clegg is on course to lose his seat. lol.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#1957  Postby chairman bill » Apr 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Labour is currently ahead in local polling, in its target 50 Tory seats, and reckoned likely to win at least 44 of them.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1958  Postby ronmcd » Apr 29, 2015 6:09 pm

ED209 wrote:https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/593428951307026432/photo/1

Another poll showing clegg is on course to lose his seat. lol.

But didn't you hear? The libdems have their own super secret polling which shows they are winning, private polling which includes leading questions to distort the answers ALWAYS trumps any polls which don't show a libdem lead. Libdems are winning everywhere, FACT*.

(*fact not guaranteed)

In other news, some stuff that made me laugh out loud today (and yes, the first image is real, the Scottish Tory Leader was driving around on a fucking tank today, with the weird Scottish Tory flag on it):

'That chap's got a spare bedroom. Open fire!'

Has any Labour leader ever run a worse campaign than Jim Murphy?
When Jim Murphy became the Scottish Labour leader last year he suggested the party could hold on to every one of their seats north of the border.

Today's Ipsos-MORI poll suggests he is on course to lose every single one.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1959  Postby ED209 » Apr 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot. Yellow tory voters are special in that they alone need to be reminded of who their MP is when asked which way they'll vote. And nick clegg particularly is extremely popular among his constituents who don't know who the fuck he is.
ED209

Print view this post

#1960  Postby chairman bill » Apr 29, 2015 9:12 pm

To be fair, if asked whether you might vote LibDem, some might offer a grudging 'yes'. When reminded that the LibDem candidate is Clegg, most would say "Fuck off! I'm not voting for that shit!"
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs