UK Labour Party Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Labour Party Watch

#12301  Postby GrahamH » Apr 20, 2017 10:22 pm

1. Does it ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU?
2. Does it deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union?
3. Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities?
4. Does it defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom?
5. Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime?
6. Does it deliver for all regions and nations of the UK?

If his tests are not met, Labour will not back the deal in the commons.

http://labourlist.org/2017/03/keir-star ... arliament/
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#12302  Postby Byron » Apr 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Yes, I'm aware of the yawnsome six tests, having already posted them. They're not a commitment to staying in the EEA, even if, in reality, that's the only way they'll be met. They could just as easily lead to the UK crashing out the EU without a deal.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#12303  Postby ronmcd » Apr 20, 2017 10:48 pm

I can't even read those 6 points. The words never form into actual policies and all appear to be "blah".

Also - how hysterical to have 6 demands after voting THROUGH Tory brexit. Why the fuck bother? May as well go home, labour. You're done. It's over. RIP. Get ready to move your stuff out your offices, Timmy and The Liar are going to be moving in, installing slides and bouncy castles in the whips office.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12304  Postby Byron » Apr 20, 2017 11:06 pm

Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#12305  Postby chairman bill » Apr 21, 2017 4:54 am

But those were the things the Tories said they'd deliver. So Labour is saying, deliver that or we'll vote down any other deal you offer. Opposing Article 50 would have been pointless, given the Tory majority, and the fact that Labour accepted the referendum result, on what basis would they oppose it anyway?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12306  Postby ronmcd » Apr 21, 2017 9:24 am

They put down lots of amendments during the article 50 process, at a time when May was trying to prevent Parliament and even her own MPs from having any vote AT ALL. And all the amendments were rejected. That was the point at which carte blanche was given to May, and it should have been stopped. Or resisted, at least.

Now, it's too late. So now trumpeting their red lines comes across as, well, irrelevant.

And will labour votes even be needed when we get to a vote on the final deal? The 25 labour MPs by then will be irrelevant, it'll be Christian Crusader Timmy The Virtuous who will be opposing.

I want to cry.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12307  Postby GrahamH » Apr 21, 2017 9:45 am

Byron wrote:Yes, I'm aware of the yawnsome six tests, having already posted them. They're not a commitment to staying in the EEA, even if, in reality, that's the only way they'll be met. They could just as easily lead to the UK crashing out the EU without a deal.

What is the relevance to staying in the EEA except for the those benefits? If those benefits can be secured without EEA membership why oppose that?
And surely any opposition to Tory Brexit "could just as easily lead to the UK crashing out the EU without a deal". Insisting on EEA membership when May has already ruled that out being a prime example.

What do you want Labour to do that will suck up all those militant remainer votes, lose no Leaver votes and guarantee prosperity without risk? Maybe they could jump into an alternate universe.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#12308  Postby ronmcd » Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

GrahamH wrote:
Byron wrote:Yes, I'm aware of the yawnsome six tests, having already posted them. They're not a commitment to staying in the EEA, even if, in reality, that's the only way they'll be met. They could just as easily lead to the UK crashing out the EU without a deal.

What is the relevance to staying in the EEA except for the those benefits? If those benefits can be secured without EEA membership why oppose that?

Is Byron not saying the only way to get those benefits IS to be in EEA?

It's a little like the idea post June 2016 from the brexiteers that we would have the same benefits of EU membership without the bad bits.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12309  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 21, 2017 9:51 am

You cant get EEA benefits outside the EEA. That is May's fantasy Brexit. But the EEA is not the answer. You get the single market but at a price and you have to accept any rules that the EU makes and accept the four principles. What is the whole purpose of Brexit? Not a half baked cake.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12310  Postby ronmcd » Apr 21, 2017 9:52 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:You cant get EEA benefits outside the EEA. That is May's fantasy Brexit. But the EEA is not the answer. You get the single market but at a price and you have to accept any rules that the EU makes and accept the four principles. What is the whole purpose of Brexit? Not a half baked cake.

We're in the shit, and no mistake.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12311  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 21, 2017 9:52 am

ronmcd wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

It's a little like the idea post June 2016 from the brexiteers that we would have the same benefits of EU membership without the bad bits.

That is Fantasy Brexit.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12312  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 21, 2017 9:53 am

ronmcd wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:You cant get EEA benefits outside the EEA. That is May's fantasy Brexit. But the EEA is not the answer. You get the single market but at a price and you have to accept any rules that the EU makes and accept the four principles. What is the whole purpose of Brexit? Not a half baked cake.

We're in the shit, and no mistake.

You can say that again. :eh:

You just could not imagine any worse scenario.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12313  Postby GrahamH » Apr 21, 2017 9:58 am

ronmcd wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Yes, Byron is saying that, but Byron want's a commitment to staying in the EEA apart from that. I'm not clear what more he wants than the benefits the EEA provides, that he says the six test entail. He seems to think that pushing for the benefits risks crashing out, but somehow pushing for EEA membership does not. How can that be?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#12314  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 21, 2017 10:09 am

May will never accept EEA. You still have pay and agree to the four principles. For me it is a bad deal. A half baked cake.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12315  Postby Byron » Apr 21, 2017 9:20 pm

chairman bill wrote:But those were the things the Tories said they'd deliver. So Labour is saying, deliver that or we'll vote down any other deal you offer. Opposing Article 50 would have been pointless, given the Tory majority, and the fact that Labour accepted the referendum result, on what basis would they oppose it anyway?

On the basis that the referendum said jack about the EEA, and several Leavers promised that single market membership wasn't at risk.

At the least, via the Lords, Labour could've delayed A50 by over a year (even if May resorted to the creation of peers, it'd take time, and could well've collapsed her administration). Even from a Brexit POV, that'd be to the UK's advantage, taking the country past the French and German elections, and giving Whitehall time to get itself organized.

More ambitiously, with May's minuscule majority, Labour could've set the agenda, aggressively lobbying Tories in swing or high Remain seats, banding together with other parties, and building overwhelming pressure on May to go with the EFTA, or some other kinda EEA option.

But no, Corbyn folded, and at every step, danced to May's tune. I know why -- he's a longtime Lexiter -- but doesn't make it close to inevitable. It was his choice, and he chose ... poorly.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#12316  Postby Byron » Apr 21, 2017 9:25 pm

GrahamH wrote:What is the relevance to staying in the EEA except for the those benefits? If those benefits can be secured without EEA membership why oppose that?
And surely any opposition to Tory Brexit "could just as easily lead to the UK crashing out the EU without a deal". Insisting on EEA membership when May has already ruled that out being a prime example.

What do you want Labour to do that will suck up all those militant remainer votes, lose no Leaver votes and guarantee prosperity without risk? Maybe they could jump into an alternate universe.

They can't be achieved outside the EEA, 'cause Brussels has made it abundantly clear that there'll be no single market à la carte, and with Switzerland, showed that it means business.

Never mind "militant" Remain voters: Labour clearly advocating the EEA would build consensus among moderates and many Europhiles, as the SNP did with its own EEA options. Labour's current policy pleases no side: hardcore Brexiters will go with the Tories; and Remainers of all stripes, alienated by Labour, will be tempted by the Lib Dems. Unless you're devoted to Lexit, there's no point to it.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#12317  Postby ronmcd » Apr 21, 2017 10:21 pm

Byron wrote:
Never mind "militant" Remain voters: Labour clearly advocating the EEA would build consensus among moderates and many Europhiles, as the SNP did with its own EEA options. Labour's current policy pleases no side: hardcore Brexiters will go with the Tories; and Remainers of all stripes, alienated by Labour, will be tempted by the Lib Dems. Unless you're devoted to Lexit, there's no point to it.

Woman on Newsnight, this very minute (23:14), said the same thing - talked of friends who can't now vote labour as remainers, disappointed, and will have to hold their noses and vote libdem.

Wasnt there recent analysis that suggested labour had made a terrible mistake, assuming they needed to support brexit to win support back? I seem to remember the claim was the demographics meant they were wrong that those voters would come back, and they were effectively driving away the ones they could win, who were going to the libdems.

All in all, very scotlab.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12318  Postby Byron » Apr 21, 2017 10:49 pm

It's eerily similar to a slice of SLab seppuku. I'd assumed that English Labour would be spared by their facing Timmay!, not Salmond or Sturgeon, but at this rate, who knows.

As for Labour's assumptions about its electorate, John Curtice noted that even in Brexit heartlands, among Labour voters, Remain enjoyed a clear majority. Corbyn's mistaken majorities in Labour seats with majorities of Labour voters, although "mistaken" may be unfair, since this devotee of Bennism doesn't need much persuading to junk the EU so Labour can intervene in the economy as it pleases.

If that economy's removed from the single market, it'll need divine intervention to save it.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#12319  Postby ronmcd » Apr 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Byron wrote:It's eerily similar to a slice of SLab seppuku. I'd assumed that English Labour would be spared by their facing Timmay!, not Salmond or Sturgeon, but at this rate, who knows.

As for Labour's assumptions about its electorate, John Curtice noted that even in Brexit heartlands, among Labour voters, Remain enjoyed a clear majority. Corbyn's mistaken majorities in Labour seats with majorities of Labour voters, although "mistaken" may be unfair, since this devotee of Bennism doesn't need much persuading to junk the EU so Labour can intervene in the economy as it pleases.

If that economy's removed from the single market, it'll need divine intervention to save it.

Ah, John Curtice, makes sense. The man with a twitter account checking if he's on tv:

https://twitter.com/JohnCurticeOnTV
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12320  Postby monkeyboy » Apr 23, 2017 8:03 am

Another well meant but ill thought through idea. Four more bank (public) holidays for the UK. On our four countries' patron saints days. What's wrong with that? They would be March 1st, 17th, April 23rd and Nov 30th. With Easter bouncing around March and April depending on where the Jewish calendar decides Christians will declare chocolate-fest, we could conceivably end up with 5 day chocolate -fest holidays. Or the ridiculous run of 7 out of the what would be 12 public holidays rammed into 3 months and 4 more into just over 1 month in December. Only one to cover the rest of the year being the end of August.
I don't mind the idea of more public hols but maybe spread them out a bit more over the year. I'll still end up working most of them.more half baked ideas from all parties here
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs