UK Labour Party Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Labour Party Watch

#12441  Postby Pebble » May 06, 2017 6:36 am

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/05/jeremy-corbyn-blame-meltdown-labour-leader

With no steer from the moderator, who remained studiedly neutral, they described Jeremy Corbyn as a “dope”, “living in the past”, “a joke”, as “looking as if he knows less about it than I do”. One woman admired Corbyn’s sincerity; one man thought his intentions were good. But she reckoned he lacked “the qualities to be our leader”; and he believed Corbyn was simply too “soft”.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12442  Postby minininja » May 06, 2017 7:29 am

I wish we lived in a democracy.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12443  Postby Tracer Tong » May 06, 2017 11:38 am

minininja wrote:I wish we lived in a democracy.

Surprise! You do.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12444  Postby solazy » May 06, 2017 12:32 pm

What a great week for Labour!
Dianne Abbot wants to recruit 10,000 more police and pay them £30 a year.
Jeremy Corbyn rushes up to Manchester to celebrate Andy Burnham's success as metro mayor only to find that Burnham avoids him by dining with his mates in a restaurant.
Politics in the UK is now phoney. No party leader will mix with the general public. They will only speak if surrounded by their own supporters and a neutral cameraman. The PM will not engage in a televised debate. Dissenters will be kept at a distance.
It did not used to be like this. It is now less of a democracy. We can't criticise the likes of Putin anymore.
solazy

Name: Steve Wilkes

Print view this post

#12445  Postby ronmcd » May 06, 2017 1:37 pm

solazy wrote:What a great week for Labour!
Dianne Abbot wants to recruit 10,000 more police and pay them £30 a year.
Jeremy Corbyn rushes up to Manchester to celebrate Andy Burnham's success as metro mayor only to find that Burnham avoids him by dining with his mates in a restaurant.
Politics in the UK is now phoney. No party leader will mix with the general public. They will only speak if surrounded by their own supporters and a neutral cameraman. The PM will not engage in a televised debate. Dissenters will be kept at a distance.
It did not used to be like this. It is now less of a democracy. We can't criticise the likes of Putin anymore.

(except for viewers in Scotland, where the democratically elected First Minister, from a party elected under PR, actually walks about the streets speaking to members of the public)
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12446  Postby mrjonno » May 06, 2017 2:38 pm

Err Scotland is a one party state as well and no the Green party doesn't count

Great English nationalists running England, Scottish nationalists Scotland, Northern Ireland likely to soon be dominated by a party that doesn't want to be part of the UK

UK such a well functioning united state
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12447  Postby ronmcd » May 06, 2017 4:01 pm

mrjonno wrote:Err Scotland is a one party state as well and no the Green party doesn't count

Great English nationalists running England, Scottish nationalists Scotland, Northern Ireland likely to soon be dominated by a party that doesn't want to be part of the UK

UK such a well functioning united state

That's fascinating, bollocks, but fascinating I'm sure. What it has to do with my response or the post I was responding to, I've no idea.

incidentally, this is the definition of "one party state":
A one-party state is a form of government where the country is ruled by a single political party, meaning only one political party exists and the forming of other political parties is forbidden.

Using the phrase for a situation where one party is dominant under FPTP is silly and incorrect. Using it for a situation where one party is dominant UNDER PR is silly, incorrect, and most often a simple political smear.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12449  Postby chairman bill » May 06, 2017 4:31 pm

ronmcd wrote:But other than that :thumbup:

Your problem is that you're just intolerant of fuckwitted political commentary. You should be ashamed of yourself.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12450  Postby ronmcd » May 09, 2017 11:27 am

Watching Daily Politics, and being - once again - very impressed by Sarah Champion as a front bencher for Labour. She handled Jo's attempted interrupts and misrepresentations better than any other Labour politician recently. She also sounds, amazingly, like she believes what she says. Makes a difference ...
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12453  Postby CarlPierce » May 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Seems there is chaos at the poster launch this morning.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12454  Postby chairman bill » May 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Not chaos? A coalition of chaos? We need strong & stablenessness.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12456  Postby Byron » May 11, 2017 5:25 pm

And as the SNP pipped the SLab branch office to the post, in Scotland, those policies won't be tainted by association with a Corbyn defeat.

Every time they're suggested by Labour members in future, it'll be, "What, you crazy? Remember 2017!"
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#12457  Postby ronmcd » May 11, 2017 6:19 pm

Byron wrote:And as the SNP pipped the SLab branch office to the post, in Scotland, those policies won't be tainted by association with a Corbyn defeat.

Every time they're suggested by Labour members in future, it'll be, "What, you crazy? Remember 2017!"

Scottish Labour - the (sub) party of "something for nothing", and bringing back booze & sectarianism in exchange for votes.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12458  Postby solazy » May 12, 2017 11:00 am

Corbyn in the press today. Has a £50,000,000,000 wish list. Runs over a BBC reporter. Lives in a Utopian fantasy world.
But wait a minute.
Compared to Sir Thomas More, 500 years ago, Corbyn is right wing and lives in a more Dystopian world.
The chief, and almost the only, business of the Syphogrants is to take care that no man may live idle, but that every one may follow his trade diligently; yet they do not wear themselves out with perpetual toil from morning to night, as if they were beasts of burden, which as it is indeed a heavy slavery, so it is everywhere the common course of life amongst all mechanics except the Utopians: but they, dividing the day and night into twenty-four hours, appoint six of these for work, three of which are before dinner and three after; they then sup, and at eight o'clock, counting from noon, go to bed and sleep eight hours: the rest of their time, besides that taken up in work, eating, and sleeping, is left to every man's discretion

I wouldn't vote for Corbyn but I'd definitely vote for that.
solazy

Name: Steve Wilkes

Print view this post

#12459  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 12, 2017 1:38 pm

1983 v 2017: how Labour's manifestos compare

In the wake of reaction to the party’s leaked manifesto, Alan Travis looks back at the ‘longest suicide note in history’

It is an irony of history that one of the little-remembered but key elements of Labour’s 1983 manifesto, infamously dubbed the longest suicide note in history, was a pledge that Britain would leave the European Economic Community within five years.

Fast-forward to 2017 and Labour’s leaked draft manifesto, with its vows to renationalise the railways and Royal Mail, has already been attacked as “dragging Britain back to the 1970s” and predictably dubbed by the Tories as “the new suicide note”.

The 1983 manifesto, The New Hope for Britain, was the product of the party’s labyrinthine internal processes. It included promises to cancel the Trident programme and to refuse to deploy US nuclear cruise missiles, to abolish the House of Lords, and to bring about “a fundamental and irreversible shift in the balance of power and wealth in favour of working people and their families”.

More...

Another suicide note?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12460  Postby mrjonno » May 12, 2017 1:51 pm

The suicide note was Corbyn acceptance speech on taking on 'leadership', and it wasn't really suicide more like murder by its membership
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs