UK Labour Party Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Labour Party Watch

#13041  Postby Byron » Jul 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:And, of course, those from less privileged backgrounds are given more leeway should their interview not go terribly well. Interviewers are looking for potential, not pedigree, as I know from personal experience.

Yes, allowances are certainly made, although it's a shame they're necessary.

CarlPierce wrote:Diane abbott is at it again and wants to employ three more police officers for a cost of £700 million and 64p in order double the number of officers on the beat or is it 18 million new officers for £3.65. I was really hoping she had gone to Oxford.

The other place has the privilege. :thumbup:
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#13042  Postby Matt_B » Jul 21, 2017 3:45 am

Whatever else you can say about Abbott, she's not exactly a toff from a privileged background. Besides, she read history, not mathematics. ;)

Back when I applied in the 80s, it was definitely easier for a comprehensive student to get into Cambridge rather than Oxford. You didn't have to study extra material for the entrance exam - you just took the STEP based on the same syllabus as your A levels - and you'd almost certainly get an offer if you were studying a STEM subject, even if it was AAAA11. Once there, it was pretty much down to how talented and prepared to work you were; the faculty didn't show any favoritism to those from public schools, so far as I could tell.

Nowadays, they've both opened up a bit more, even if there's still more to do. You can just apply via UCAS without having to submit a separate form. Oxford now also uses entrance tests that don't require extra study. Cambridge still seems to have the better reputation for access though; with more former comprehensive students having studied there they've at least got a slightly more diverse alumni network, I suppose. If anything, the biggest barrier is that a lot of talented students tend to count themselves out; there are a lot less applications per place for Cambridge and Oxford than many other universities because they don't even put one in.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#13043  Postby Beatsong » Jul 21, 2017 8:35 am

I'm a Labour member and I find Dianne Abbott an embarrassment. I'm certainly not alone in that.

I didn't see the car crash interview and I'm not particularly fussed about one mistake. But I've always thought she's just not very strong at handling questions, expressing a coherent view of Labour policies etc. She gets caught out and "loses" arguments all the time, basically allowing her opponent's view to stand and reducing the Labour one voiced by her to an emotional appeal in defiance of the facts.

She may be a very capable person in some areas and as a trailblazing black woman MP she's obviously an important figure, but as a professional politician having to do what politicians have to do, she's really not up to it. Labour need to understand that one of the main things the electorate require from them is a perception of competence, and not keep pushing them to vote for a front bench team containing people who clearly don't have it.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13044  Postby ronmcd » Jul 21, 2017 9:32 am

Beatsong wrote:I'm a Labour member and I find Dianne Abbott an embarrassment. I'm certainly not alone in that.

I didn't see the car crash interview and I'm not particularly fussed about one mistake. But I've always thought she's just not very strong at handling questions, expressing a coherent view of Labour policies etc. She gets caught out and "loses" arguments all the time, basically allowing her opponent's view to stand and reducing the Labour one voiced by her to an emotional appeal in defiance of the facts.

She may be a very capable person in some areas and as a trailblazing black woman MP she's obviously an important figure, but as a professional politician having to do what politicians have to do, she's really not up to it. Labour need to understand that one of the main things the electorate require from them is a perception of competence, and not keep pushing them to vote for a front bench team containing people who clearly don't have it.

She's more comfortable in the back bench This Week regular guest slot alongside Portillo than a front bencher, for sure. But she has to put up with shit others do not, and I respect her, always have. That she isn't cut out for a towing the line cabinet minister, or even well briefed shadow cabinet member, doesn't really bother me.

In the David Davis sleeze and incompetence rankings, she's not even on the list. Lots of Tories, and a big fat fuck libdem, they are ... Carl ...
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#13045  Postby The Hanging Monkey » Jul 21, 2017 10:47 am

Beatsong wrote:I'm a Labour member and I find Dianne Abbott an embarrassment. I'm certainly not alone in that.

She's also a hypocrite for sending her child to private school IIRC.
The Hanging Monkey

Name: Michael
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13046  Postby Tracer Tong » Jul 21, 2017 12:31 pm

How does that make her a hypocrite?
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#13047  Postby chairman bill » Jul 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:How does that make her a hypocrite?

Because she's supposedly against private schools?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13048  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Are the levels of public schools that low?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13049  Postby The Hanging Monkey » Jul 21, 2017 2:18 pm

chairman bill wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:How does that make her a hypocrite?

Because she's supposedly against private schools?

Yeah, she'd previously had a bit of a rant against them...and then sent her kid to one.
The Hanging Monkey

Name: Michael
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13050  Postby CarlPierce » Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Abbott had a brief relationship with current Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn when he was a councillor in north London in the late 1970s

Labour leadership contender Diane Abbott defied her critics today as she declared that sending her son to private school was "the making of him".

Ms Abbott, who once attacked Tony Blair and Harriet Harman for sending their children to selective state schools, has repeatedly come under fire from Labour colleagues and activists over the issue.

And now her kid has left she wants to slap VAT on private fees.

This takes real class.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13051  Postby Beatsong » Jul 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Are the levels of public schools that low?

Depends where you live and on a whole bunch of factors affecting which one you get into. But the best private schools will always have things (small class sizes, amazing facilities, sport and arts opportunities etc.) that are way beyond state schools. It just comes down to money. A lot of parents when the reach the income level that makes private school fees comfortably affordable, will just think "why not?"

Given that all Abbott really has going for her is left wing credentials - it's not like she has the media skill of Blair or the intellect of Brown - there's not much left of her after taking away points for the hypocrisy here.

Corbyn, to his credit, always supported state schools in deed as well as word and it was even the cause of his divorce, as his ex-wife wanted to send the kids to private school and he wouldn't have it.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13052  Postby Byron » Jul 21, 2017 5:46 pm

I can't blame Abbott for wanting the best for her son, and don't know if I find Corbyn's ideological purity over his kids' schooling any more appealing. Especially when, like Abbot, he benefited from a grammar education.

Given their own experiences, I'm less forgiving of the refusal of either to reexamine their opposition to any kind of selection by ability,* especially when the real world alternative's selection by wealth and (often pretended) religion.

* Not the 11+, but something like Germany's system, where around half of children benefit from selective education, with plenty opportunity to move if they develop later.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#13053  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 21, 2017 5:49 pm

I thought the comprehensives were meant to do that with their multi-streaming.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13054  Postby minininja » Jul 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Beatsong wrote:Labour need to understand that one of the main things the electorate require from them is a perception of competence, and not keep pushing them to vote for a front bench team containing people who clearly don't have it.

Absolutely not. Because the "perception" of competence is in most cases pure manipulation by the media. If Labour were to get rid of every politician that the tabloids jeered at the mistakes of, they'd have none left, which is precisely what those papers want. Why the fuck is it a news story when a black left-wing female politician forgets a number, but not when a white male right-wing politician does? It's a fucking disgrace to journalism for that small stumble to be making the news rather than the serious government failures that were being highlighted. It's no good playing the game when the game is rigged.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13055  Postby Byron » Jul 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I thought the comprehensives were meant to do that with their multi-streaming.

They were -- and that was over much opposition from advocates of mixed-ability classes, who accused streaming of betraying the comprehensive ideal -- but a comp. with streams can't replicate the culture of a selective school. If it did, the private sector would be withering on the vine as it was before grammars were abolished.

The entirely justified rebuttal of "What about those who fail the 11+?" would be a lot easier to meet if there was no 11+, enough selective schools for roughly half of students, with selection agreed between teachers and parents, and lots of high-quality trade and technical schools as an alternative.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#13056  Postby Byron » Jul 21, 2017 6:30 pm

minininja wrote:[...] Why the fuck is it a news story when a black left-wing female politician forgets a number, but not when a white male right-wing politician does? [...]

They've done the same to Corbyn, but yes, with the current government, the double-standard isn't even trying to hide itself.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#13057  Postby Matt_B » Jul 22, 2017 1:59 am

It also has to be said that BoJo has had so many car crash interviews that they've simply stopped being newsworthy. That said, the media do tend to soft pedal a bit whenever May or Hammond makes a gaffe.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#13058  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 22, 2017 7:57 am

Byron wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I thought the comprehensives were meant to do that with their multi-streaming.

They were -- and that was over much opposition from advocates of mixed-ability classes, who accused streaming of betraying the comprehensive ideal -- but a comp. with streams can't replicate the culture of a selective school. If it did, the private sector would be withering on the vine as it was before grammars were abolished.

The entirely justified rebuttal of "What about those who fail the 11+?" would be a lot easier to meet if there was no 11+, enough selective schools for roughly half of students, with selection agreed between teachers and parents, and lots of high-quality trade and technical schools as an alternative.

That is what we have. it is called the third stream. Here is a vid that gives an overview.

It works pretty well and allows plenty of flexibility. There are no failures. Primary education is a very laid back affair with no homework. Independence is important.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13059  Postby Fallible » Jul 22, 2017 8:11 am

There's no homework in primary schools here either.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13060  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 22, 2017 8:28 am

Fallible wrote:There's no homework in primary schools here either.

Since when?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs