UK Labour Party Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Labour Party Watch

#3281  Postby ronmcd » Aug 30, 2015 6:58 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Emmeline wrote:More from Dan Hodges on those tweets:

Dan Hodges @DPJHodges
Before everyone goes completely mad, me and @Hapoel4 had words. We both said silly things. We've apologised to each other.

I'm not a fan of Dan Hodges but if anyone thinks he is anti-semitic, you've got the wrong end of the stick. He's been criticising Corbyn for his associations with groups like Hamas & Holocaust deniers. Hodges is attacking those he regards as anti-semitic.

It would take particularly twisted logic to even suggest that Hodges may be anti-semitic. Hodges is attacking Corbyn for freely associating with anti-semites, racist, Holocaust deniers and the like. No surprise that the response of Corbyn supporters is to aggressively turn Corbyn's crimes onto his accuser.

Nobody is accusing Hodges of being anti-semitic. The only one suggesting that as far as I can see is Emmeline, I think in error. But here you are, repeating the smear against Corbyn. I am NOT surprised, am I.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3282  Postby Emmeline » Aug 30, 2015 7:13 pm

OlivierK wrote:Not aimed at you in particular, Emme, but I'm fucking heartily sick of people arguing that the only way to engage with an electorate that's just voted Tory is to be Tories, no matter your political party.

If we're going to talk about parallel universes and Alice in Wonderland politics, that's what does my head in.

Not aimed at you in particular either but I'm fucking heartily sick of people chucking the word "Tory" around at people who don't think Corbyn is the fucking dog's bollocks.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#3283  Postby Emmeline » Aug 30, 2015 7:17 pm

ronmcd wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:
Emmeline wrote:More from Dan Hodges on those tweets:

Dan Hodges @DPJHodges
Before everyone goes completely mad, me and @Hapoel4 had words. We both said silly things. We've apologised to each other.

I'm not a fan of Dan Hodges but if anyone thinks he is anti-semitic, you've got the wrong end of the stick. He's been criticising Corbyn for his associations with groups like Hamas & Holocaust deniers. Hodges is attacking those he regards as anti-semitic.

It would take particularly twisted logic to even suggest that Hodges may be anti-semitic. Hodges is attacking Corbyn for freely associating with anti-semites, racist, Holocaust deniers and the like. No surprise that the response of Corbyn supporters is to aggressively turn Corbyn's crimes onto his accuser.

Nobody is accusing Hodges of being anti-semitic. The only one suggesting that as far as I can see is Emmeline, I think in error. But here you are, repeating the smear against Corbyn. I am NOT surprised, am I.

No, it's not in error. There are people on Twitter who called him anti-semitic because they misunderstood his stance. I'm not saying anyone here definitely thinks that, hence the "IF" (and there are lots of silent guests on these threads).
Emmeline

Print view this post

#3284  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 30, 2015 7:28 pm

ronmcd wrote:Nobody is accusing Hodges of being anti-semitic.

No, of course not.

ronmcd wrote:But here you are, repeating the smear against Corbyn. I am NOT surprised, am I.

Hardly a smear if it's true, is it. I know a lot of people in politics, many of them have been in politics just as long as Jeremy, and amazingly not one of them has freely associated with anti-semites and Holocaust deniers.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3285  Postby mrjonno » Aug 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Corbyn has similar politics and associates with the same people George Galloway does, Galloway was kicked out of the party which shows how nutty Corbyn is
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3286  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 30, 2015 7:56 pm

They are very different characters though. Corbyn is polite and soft spoken, whereas Galloway is a gobshite. Which I suppose, if anything, shows how a calm, considered approach rather than a full-on confrontational assault is a much better way of getting people to take notice. A lesson that many Labour supporters not a million miles away could learn from.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3287  Postby chairman bill » Aug 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Corbyn also doesn't misrepresent other people's views & arguments. A lesson that some LibDem supporters not a million miles away could learn from. Just sayin'.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3288  Postby OlivierK » Aug 30, 2015 8:38 pm

Emmeline wrote:
OlivierK wrote:Not aimed at you in particular, Emme, but I'm fucking heartily sick of people arguing that the only way to engage with an electorate that's just voted Tory is to be Tories, no matter your political party.

If we're going to talk about parallel universes and Alice in Wonderland politics, that's what does my head in.

Not aimed at you in particular either but I'm fucking heartily sick of people chucking the word "Tory" around at people who don't think Corbyn is the fucking dog's bollocks.

Fair enough, but the argument does get made depressingly often, including recently by Tony Blair, which you brought here approvingly. It's really got very, very little to do with Corbyn - people were despairing of it when Labour came out with that idiotic mug, and whether Labour were now red Tories was debated in Scotland when some in Labour advocated tactically voting for the Tories to keep the SNP out, both of which pre-date Corbyn's rise.

If Corbyn weren't running, you can be sure that there would still be people who were tearing their hair out at the same argument being made by people like Liz Kendall, because the reason people hate the argument and think it's bollocks isn't because it's anti-Corbyn, it's because it's politically suicidal bollocks. How well are its most high profile backers - people like Kendall and Blair - doing in terms of getting the electorate on side? They're about as popular as the LibDems or ebola.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3289  Postby ronmcd » Aug 30, 2015 10:30 pm

OlivierK wrote:
Emmeline wrote:

Fair enough, but the argument does get made depressingly often, including recently by Tony Blair, which you brought here approvingly. It's really got very, very little to do with Corbyn - people were despairing of it when Labour came out with that idiotic mug, and whether Labour were now red Tories was debated in Scotland when some in Labour advocated tactically voting for the Tories to keep the SNP out, both of which pre-date Corbyn's rise.

If Corbyn weren't running, you can be sure that there would still be people who were tearing their hair out at the same argument being made by people like Liz Kendall, because the reason people hate the argument and think it's bollocks isn't because it's anti-Corbyn, it's because it's politically suicidal bollocks. How well are its most high profile backers - people like Kendall and Blair - doing in terms of getting the electorate on side? They're about as popular as the LibDems or ebola.

Yup.

I certainly wouldn't call Labour voters Tories, although when watching the newsnight panel last week I thought some of them if not all were more aligned with the Tories than Labour. But that didnt make them tories, or labour members, just average voters who dont have any loyalty to a party. But the POLICIES the POLITICIANS and especially leadership have pursued are seen as Tory, certainly round my way.

What's hilarious about it is the way it seems to be just the name Tory that offends Labour politicians (again, Im talking politicians not voters Emmeline) rather than the Tory policies they have been pursuing.

To me and many in Scotland, Labour became Tories in all but name. I guess it's the same as the current argument over principle vs electability (supposed) in the leadership campaign - I'd rather have the politicians with principle.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3290  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 30, 2015 10:37 pm

ronmcd wrote:What's hilarious about it is the way it seems to be just the name Tory that offends Labour politicians (again, Im talking politicians not voters Emmeline) rather than the Tory policies they have been pursuing.

Like all skeptics, what offends me is that it's never explained how policies that are claimed to be "Tory policies" are, in fact, Tory.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3291  Postby ronmcd » Aug 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
ronmcd wrote:What's hilarious about it is the way it seems to be just the name Tory that offends Labour politicians (again, Im talking politicians not voters Emmeline) rather than the Tory policies they have been pursuing.

Like all skeptics, what offends me is that it's never explained how policies that are claimed to be "Tory policies" are, in fact, Tory.

If there's one single thing I really genuinely couldn't give a shit about, it's offending you.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3292  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 30, 2015 10:48 pm

Oh, that much is obvious from the effort you put into doing just that. One day those evil liberals and their freedom-loving ways will be annihilated, comrade :awesome:
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3293  Postby ronmcd » Aug 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Oh, that much is obvious from the effort you put into doing just that. One day those evil liberals and their freedom-loving ways will be annihilated, comrade :awesome:

Not sure either part of that makes sense, but okay.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3294  Postby OlivierK » Aug 30, 2015 11:26 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

Really?

It's explained ad nauseam.

Fixing the deficit by regressively cutting spending on services (rather than by increasing revenue, or cutting spending on things like Trident) is the Tory way, and Labour were for it, but just a little less. Blaming poor services on pressure from immigrants rather than underinvestment is the Tory way, and Labour mimicked it. Claiming that governments need to be pro-business, while staying relatively silent on governments' need to be pro-social, is the Tory way, and people like Cooper are still going on that way now.

You yourself keep reminding people how Labour and the Tories had the same approach to university fees, and now you say that it's never explained how Labour has taken on Tory policies, even though you're one of the one's who's taken on the task of explaining it. You spent most of the election campaign spraying around the term "Labservative" because you felt Labour and the Tories were peas in a pod, and now you think nobody's ever explained how Labour policies have become more Tory? I mean, seriously: what the fuck?
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3295  Postby ronmcd » Aug 30, 2015 11:33 pm

OlivierK wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Really?

It's explained ad nauseam.

Fixing the deficit by regressively cutting spending on services (rather than by increasing revenue, or cutting spending on things like Trident) is the Tory way, and Labour were for it, but just a little less. Blaming poor services on pressure from immigrants rather than underinvestment is the Tory way, and Labour mimicked it. Claiming that governments need to be pro-business, while staying relatively silent on governments' need to be pro-social, is the Tory way, and people like Cooper are still going on that way now.

You yourself keep reminding people how Labour and the Tories had the same approach to university fees, and now you say that it's never explained how Labour has taken on Tory policies, even though you're one of the one's who's taken on the task of explaining it. You spent most of the election campaign spraying around the term "Labservative" because you felt Labour and the Tories were peas in a pod, and now you think nobody's ever explained how Labour policies have become more Tory? I mean, seriously: what the fuck?

That built to a fine crescendo :lol:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3296  Postby ronmcd » Aug 30, 2015 11:42 pm

Surely we want our politicians - of whichever flavour - to have principles underpinning their policies, put those policies to the public, and (controversial thought ...) try to convince the public of their merits. Perhaps even changing the minds of people based on argument?

What seems to be popular with our politicians and commentators is the idea principles only matter if they are *currently* popular with a majority of the *current subset* of the population who could be bothered to vote last time, human beings that current wisdom dictates are for some reason utterly immovable in their preferred policies.

That's not a principle I want to vote for. What the fuck is the point?
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3298  Postby Emmeline » Aug 31, 2015 6:11 am

OlivierK wrote: Claiming that governments need to be pro-business, while staying relatively silent on governments' need to be pro-social, is the Tory way, and people like Cooper are still going on that way now.

Bollocks!

Cooper has made it clear how pro-social she is but Corbynites just shut their ears & sing LaLaLa whenever she speaks.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#3299  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 31, 2015 7:22 am

Beatsong wrote:Re: Immigration -

Among the various leadership candidates, the only actual meaningful noise I've heard on the subject (as opposed to "hey, let's make a mug!" type transparent nonsense) has come from Corbyn. He has suggested that he might consider campaigning for leaving the EU, if the terms of our membership can't be renegotiated to do something about large scale tax avoidance by the rich and barriers in EU legislation to workers' rights.

Does that count as "connecting with people about their concerns"?

What?
Any data on this? It is all news to me. Barriers in EU legislation to worker's rights? Since when is that an EU problem?
Just because Britain's workers are some of the most poorly unprotected has nothing to do with the EU.

The fact that Corbyn would leave the EU just shows his understanding of the EU is on a par with Cameron literally zero.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3300  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 31, 2015 7:30 am

Emmeline wrote:
OlivierK wrote: Claiming that governments need to be pro-business, while staying relatively silent on governments' need to be pro-social, is the Tory way, and people like Cooper are still going on that way now.

Bollocks!

Cooper has made it clear how pro-social she is but Corbynites just shut their ears & sing LaLaLa whenever she speaks.

That is the Corbynite way. Why listen when you know you are right. Intelligent politics? My arse.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs