UK Labour Party Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Labour Party Watch

#9461  Postby Byron » Aug 23, 2016 5:00 pm

logical bob wrote:This is a strange suggestion. If things happened as described (and Corbyn's spokesmen hasn't denied it) then the chances are that Onwaruh is opposed to Corbyn because of that situation, which is hardly an ulterior motive. Are you seriously suggesting that if any MP who abstained on the Welfare Bill has anything negative to say about Corbyn's leadership it should be presumed that they've made it all up?

She was opposed to Corbyn long before this: she backed Andy Burnham in the leadership race; although she was one of those who nominated Corbyn to widen the debate, people who're subjected to particular loathing by the Blairites, and under immense pressure to prove themselves.

No, we shouldn't assume that any MP who abstained is lying, which is why I said that allegations shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. They do, however, appear amidst an organized smear campaign, and it's perfectly reasonable to be skeptical of how the events are presented, and of the weight put on them.

Even if every word is true, is this worse than handing control back to the Blairites? Because that's the inevitable consequence of voting against Corbyn.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#9462  Postby Pebble » Aug 23, 2016 5:03 pm

More honesty from Jeremy?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/23/jeremy-corbyn-virgin-trains-disputes-claim-over-lack-of-seats

"The Virgin statement said that, as well as unreserved seats, Corbyn walked past seats that were reserved but not taken, meaning they were available for other passengers to use. Branson used the image in his tweet."

"The train operator published a picture that it said appeared to show the Labour leader sitting in a seat at 11.46am, shortly after a freelance film-maker travelling with his team had finished shooting. "
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9463  Postby minininja » Aug 23, 2016 5:37 pm

Yeah, apparently.

Passengers dispute Virgin Trains' claims about Jeremy Corbyn 'sitting on floor'

The row over whether Jeremy Corbyn had to sit on the floor of a Virgin train has taken a new twist after passengers on the service disputed the company’s version of events.

Earlier this month Mr Corbyn released a video of himself sitting on the floor of a Virgin East Coast train arguing that “this is a problem that many passengers face every day”.

The train company, however, has released CCTV stills showing Mr Corbyn finding a seat on the train, saying that it “clearly wasn’t the case” he could not find somewhere to sit. Though Mr Corbyn did not claim that there were no seats on the train, he said it was “ram-packed”.

Other people on the train have however come forward to say it was in fact very busy, at least at the start of the journey.

One passenger, Keren Harrison, posted a picture of herself on the train with Mr Corbyn and gave an account of events that contradicted the company's version.

"I was on said train and it was very busy!" she said. "He got seat about 45 mins in when staff started shuffling people around!"

But it's all a complete non-story anyway. Regardless of precisely how long it took to find a seat on that particular journey, it's an experience that many passengers have.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9464  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 23, 2016 5:40 pm

Of course when Jeremy is lying it is a non story.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9466  Postby mrjonno » Aug 23, 2016 5:52 pm

Pebble wrote:More honesty from Jeremy?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/23/jeremy-corbyn-virgin-trains-disputes-claim-over-lack-of-seats

"The Virgin statement said that, as well as unreserved seats, Corbyn walked past seats that were reserved but not taken, meaning they were available for other passengers to use. Branson used the image in his tweet."

"The train operator published a picture that it said appeared to show the Labour leader sitting in a seat at 11.46am, shortly after a freelance film-maker travelling with his team had finished shooting. "

That's the bacon sandwich moment I reckon ,where he goes from not trusted with the economy or country to actually being laughed at
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9467  Postby ronmcd » Aug 23, 2016 5:59 pm

mrjonno wrote:
Pebble wrote:More honesty from Jeremy?

That's the bacon sandwich moment I reckon ,where he goes from not trusted with the economy or country to actually being laughed at

Irony?

I'm like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory at the moment, I can't tell if people are being serious or not.

When does this hell end?
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9468  Postby minininja » Aug 23, 2016 6:04 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Of course when Jeremy is lying it is a non story.

No, sorry. The very worst you can say about Corbyn in this, even if you take as absolute truth everything Richard Branson says about how wonderful Virgin train services are, is that he engaged in a minor PR stunt in order to comment on a problem with our public transport services that thousands of people regularly face. How the fuck is that the top story in the news today?
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9469  Postby ronmcd » Aug 23, 2016 6:06 pm

So. This is nice?

You can do analysis of Corbyn and his "movement" (I have done it) but the essence of the whole thing is that they are just thick as pigshit.

https://twitter.com/JananGanesh/status/ ... 0836807680
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9470  Postby ronmcd » Aug 23, 2016 6:06 pm

minininja wrote:

No, sorry. The very worst you can say about Corbyn in this, even if you take as absolute truth everything Richard Branson says about how wonderful Virgin train services are, is that he engaged in a minor PR stunt in order to comment on a problem with our public transport services that thousands of people regularly face. How the fuck is that the top story in the news today?

It's not. The top story is some people got off a plane and the BBC wet themselves.

For HOURS.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9471  Postby minininja » Aug 23, 2016 6:19 pm

ronmcd wrote:
minininja wrote:

It's not. The top story is some people got off a plane and the BBC wet themselves.

For HOURS.

This is what I've got on the BBC, Telegraph and Guardian:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
BBC.png
BBC.png (503.58 KiB) Viewed 664 times

Telegraph.png
Telegraph.png (565.54 KiB) Viewed 664 times

Guardian.png
Guardian.png (377.94 KiB) Viewed 664 times

It's fucking bonkers.
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9472  Postby Pebble » Aug 23, 2016 6:23 pm

minininja wrote:

It is only a story because Corbyn deliberately set out to have himself filmed showing how much a man of the people he was, sitting in the corridor and on behalf of the proletariat refusing an offer of an upgrade. He created the whole story deliberately, so should not be surprised that its veracity is checked.

But unlike Cameron - he is not a publicity seeking politician, he doesn't do sound bites etc - Really?
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9473  Postby GrahamH » Aug 23, 2016 6:31 pm

It does seem to be a complete non-story as far as clais of a stunt are concerned.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/passe ... 05631.html

It seems that no unreserved seats were availailable so he sat on the floor with other passengers who couldn't find seats. staff, probably concerned about the potential for negative PR, upgraded a family to 1st class, freeing some seats. Corbyn and others then sat in those seats for the rest of the journey. Hold the front page!!
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#9474  Postby GrahamH » Aug 23, 2016 6:33 pm

There is no evidence that Corbyn deliberately set out to do this. None. He was accompanied by a cameraman who was filming him. He has done other fly on the wall documentaries about his work. Nothing suspicious about that.
Last edited by GrahamH on Aug 23, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#9475  Postby Byron » Aug 23, 2016 6:33 pm

minininja wrote:

Calculated smear campaign (even heading up the BBC, which is just a Blairite propaganda agency these days), which just goes to show how desperate they are. So what if it's true? Somehow worse than eternal neoliberalism and the frontiers of the state being slashed back to gunboats and MPs' expense forms?

Still, for all the wretchedness of the agenda setting, the Blairite media pack seem to sense that they've got their fox cornered. Either the chicken coupers have managed to gerrymander Frothy Coffee to victory, or they've got some other fix in the works, whether it's seizing Labour's name and assets, or setting up a new party with enough dodgy donors to make it work.

Given their judgment to date, Corbyn shouldn't take the champagne off ice just yet.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#9476  Postby Byron » Aug 23, 2016 6:37 pm

GrahamH wrote:It does seem to be a complete non-story as far as clais of a stunt are concerned.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/passe ... 05631.html

It seems that no unreserved seats were availailable so he sat on the floor with other passengers who couldn't find seats. staff, probably concerned about the potential for negative PR, upgraded a family to 1st class, freeing some seats. Corbyn and others then sat in those seats for the rest of the journey. Hold the front page!!

It's beyond pathetic, into the realm of, well, ordering a "frothy coffee" and denouncing fancy glasses and little biscuits as petite bourgeoisie degeneracy. Well done, Smith, you've succeeded in bringing the media around to your level.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#9477  Postby ED209 » Aug 23, 2016 7:02 pm

In light of the guardian etc having now retracted their febrile and incorrect reporting after being faced with multiple eye-witness accounts from members of the public and the footage from the accompanying camera crew that filmed the entire situation, I suggest that anybody still believing virgin train's clearly untrue statement is either a troll or an imbecile, and very possibly both.

If there is a real story in all this it's that virgin trains illegally published CCTV footage, in breach of DPA, in order to smear an elected politician who threatens to return their heavily taxpayer-subsidised rail monopoly to public ownership. And the response of the BBC and media (and most shamefully, elements of the labour party) has been to wank themselves into a stupor over this brazenly illegal and chilling misuse of the surveillance all passengers are under.

It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#9480  Postby ED209 » Aug 23, 2016 7:42 pm

The series of nine tweets from graun journalist @charlesbanthony, who

- was there,
- took pictures and video,
- spoke to other passengers, and
- isn't a thick cunt

Completely demolishes todays #smearoftheday succinctly and thoroughly.

As it should do, because he's been pointing it all out for 6 days now so has had lots of practice.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs