~*~Unofficial 2016 US Presidential Election Thread~*~

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: ~*~Unofficial 2016 US Presidential Election Thread~*~

#1881  Postby Willie71 » May 10, 2016 3:25 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:I keep hearing that Bernie isn't a loser because he got farther than anyone expected and did things that some thought impossible. Fine, if that's a win then Bernie has made his point and put anyone paying attention on notice that the desire for drastic changes in social programs and policies is larger than almost anyone thought.

Now it's time for Bernie to get behind the only person left that can even come close to making those changes happen. It's time for Bernie's supporters to get out from behind Bernie and start contributing to the campaigns of their Democratic candidates for the house and senate, mayors and governors. And not just contributing money to their campaigns, get out and do something for your candidates from school boards and city boards to the senate and house to the state house and the governors mansion to the white house. Want to make changes that matter try to help change the makeup of the nation's government to where Republicans are just side liners complaining that nothing is going their way.

The problem is that the Democratic Leadership doesn't want what Sanders supporters want. That's the problem. They aren't motivated by the lesser of the evils. They want populism.

I'd ask you to back up your assertion, but you probably won't anymore than you have in the past.

Sanders supporters are looking to the midterms.

Why the fuck would they do that? That's just a dumb as shit thing to say or do. What? All of Bernie's supporters don't want to play anymore and are just going to take their toys home and come back in two years hoping everyone will place nicer then?

They want progressives, not third way democrats.

Think about it, if they help get enough Democrats elected there is no need for third way Democrats making compromises with Republicans.

For fuck sake this just keep getting stupider and stupider. Why don't we all just go off in a petulant sulk because we're not getting everything just how we want it. We can all stay home and let Trump have the presidency and Republicans take both houses. At least that way we'll all have something legitimate to bitch and moan about.

The DNC doesn't want these people.

Prove it. Or just fucking give up. If that's the way you or they feel then why not try to do something about it. Fight to change the things you don't like. If you don't like the "establishment" then fight the power. Just because Bernie's not going to get the nomination doesn't mean everything's over. All is not lost if don't let it be.

As a group we, in '07 about twenty of us in our small town, decided on a strategy to try to make our votes count in Republican Utah. We made a plan to be Democrats nationally and Greens locally, and it worked. We still voted for Democrats in Utah's hopeless presidential, senate, and congressional races, and course Utah went all republican in those races. But we encouraged people to run as Greens or, yes, progressive independents in local and county races, and guess what? Some of them won because I and liked mined people got out and talked up our local candidates all over the place. It really doesn't take much more than just asking friends, family, and casual acquaintances If they're going to vote for -inserted name here-. They ask who's that? And you tell them all about your guy/gal and if they seem interested or impressed you ask something like, "Have you heard about Jill?" and go on to someone else that's Green or progressive independent and on it goes. And soon Jill goes from a no one that anyone really knew was even running to someone that a lot of people are considering voting for.

What are they supposed to do?

Your choices are something or nothing, you'll have to decide I guess. My hope is it's something for most.

Independents and third parties are approaching 1/2 of the country. Neither the republicans nor democrats have the support of 1/3 of the country. (I think the democrats are close iirc.)

Bernie's woken up what appears to be a sleeping giant. It would be sad to have it just nod off again.

Seriously, Bernie has gotten a lot of young people exited about politics that probably haven't been before or wouldn't have been without him. If his "troops" are as loyal to him as they seem to be he should be able keep them exited in a way that Hillary probably can't.

And, in my opinion if Bernie wants the ear of the next administration he has the opportunity now to earn it. Or he can keep his principles and remain a lonely voice of dissension that no one really listens to.

You are uninformed regarding what third way stands for. It's all about the professional class. Manufacturing, blue collar, and service industries be damned.

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/23/america ... t_partner/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Way

Call people petulant, but the reality is they gave legitimate grievances and are disenfranchised. It's not about Bernie, but about having a representative that is meaningful.

People have been bitching that the Bernie supporters don't do anything for downticket elections, and now you criticize them for looking forward? Wtf?

Why don't I do something g about it? I did. I vited for progressives provincially and federally. We weren't so brainwashed to believe the BS that progressivism is a pipe dream, and we are getting our investments in green energy, schools, the medical system, and infrastructure. We also have had pretty amazing economic growth too, since we got rid of the conservatives. Third way is a huge failure.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1882  Postby Oldskeptic » May 10, 2016 5:38 am

Willie71 wrote:

You are uninformed regarding what third way stands for. It's all about the professional class. Manufacturing, blue collar, and service industries be damned.

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/23/america ... t_partner/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Way

Call people petulant, but the reality is they gave legitimate grievances and are disenfranchised. It's not about Bernie, but about having a representative that is meaningful.

People have been bitching that the Bernie supporters don't do anything for downticket elections, and now you criticize them for looking forward? Wtf?

Why don't I do something g about it? I did. I vited for progressives provincially and federally. We weren't so brainwashed to believe the BS that progressivism is a pipe dream, and we are getting our investments in green energy, schools, the medical system, and infrastructure. We also have had pretty amazing economic growth too, since we got rid of the conservatives. Third way is a huge failure.

Case you haven't noticed this aint Canada where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average, but a six pack of beer will cost you a half a day's wages. This is 'merica where you can get a 20 pack of PBR and six Slim Jim's for twelve ninety-nine at the combination gunshop-minimart just around the corner. An' case the rest of all you fereners have figured it out yet we do things a might diffrent 'round these parts.

Hell, we got more people in one state than you got in your whole damn country an' we got fifty of 'em. You're all pretty much what you call homogenized, 'cept for some of you that think you're French. Aint a surprise to me that you all get along so well that you can do nice things for each. I think that's just precious and I'm all sorts of happy for all of you.

I lived in Summerland B.C. for a while, ran the restaurant and bar at the yacht club there on Lake Okanagan for a couple of seasons. Liked it pretty well there 'cept for the price of tequila. Everyone was real nice too because I learned real quick to tell everyone I met that I was from Mexico and not 'merica.

Edited to and that I gave you one of your thumbs up on your last post just because you're such a good example of how sweet and kind Canadians always are.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#1883  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 10, 2016 8:54 am

I'll add that we've got stronger beer so that six-pack actually gets one of us pissed drunk.

In truth (not that that isn't true - the amount I have to imbibe to get a good buzz is always a bit of a shock when I cross the border) living in and around Vancouver is horrible. Our healthcare costs are covered but that's it. The cost of living is through the roof, those of us whose educations aren't paid for by our parents come out of a BA with $40,000 debt (don't get me started on those who do a BSc or continue our educations), the job market is oversaturated so we end up working low-paying admin positions irrelevant of our educations or tending bar (pays better) and still can't make ends meet in and around the city. If we do a graduate degree or retrain in a trade we have a better chance of employment in our field but still can't afford a home much less a family.

The only thing we have going for us is we pay little for healthcare, which is marvelous and I don't want to imagine my life without it. That and we live somewhere very pretty but we make so little money we can't afford to really do any of the things living here supposedly affords us. I can't afford to snowboard. I can't afford to SUP. I can't afford to do much of anything outdoors that keeps people in BC. Thank fuck hiking is cheap! I have a horrible life here. I'm here because out-of-province costs for university are through the fucking roof. Soon as my studies are done, I'm gone and never coming back. This is a city that hates the people who live in it. The only thing that gets me through the day is a sense of humour and I still cry about my financial destitution a lot. All the nice things that apply to Canada in general don't apply to some parts of it. Every time I hear an American say they're running away to Canada I think, "Don't come here! Your life will be worse here! You'd be better off in Calgary!" I mean that, and Calgary sucks!
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1884  Postby Oldskeptic » May 10, 2016 10:52 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I'll add that we've got stronger beer so that six-pack actually gets one of us pissed drunk.

I Found Out wrote: "Canadians boast longer lives, safer communities, free nationalized healthcare, a cleaner environment, the most gold medals in Olympic hockey, and, of course, poutine. But, contrary to popular belief, one thing they don’t do any different than their friends to the south is make stronger beer.

And another myth bites the dust.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#1885  Postby proudfootz » May 10, 2016 11:35 am

Back in the olden days (before the craft beer boom) my friends and I would cross the Ambassador Bridge between Detroit and Windsor to get cases of Canadian beer.

American beers had a bad reputation: Stroh's, Hamm's, Schlitz, Pabst, Budweiser, etc. up against Molson's and Labatt's.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1886  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 10, 2016 11:46 am

In the world of cheap beer, yeah, that's absolutely true. Outside of pisswater, American, Canadian, it's all roughly the same alcohol percentage.

Pabst is the cheapest virtually everywhere I go though so sometimes you just pound back 30% more than you're used to. The hostel I was staying at a few weeks ago had a bar - it's actually an extremely beautiful old hotel but the neighbourhood has gone to seed so it's been turned into a hostel and they've kept the bar open - and served people staying at the hostel PBR for $2. You just can't do better than that.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1887  Postby Mike_L » May 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Carling Black Label, South Africa's top-selling lager, has its origins in Canada.

Lightly hopped (not too bitter), nice color and flavor. I like it. :nod:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1888  Postby Teague » May 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Clinton's the worst candidate the dems have ever ran. She would historically be the worst candidate ever to run if it wasn't for Trump who's worse so historically, you have the two least favorable politicians to ever run in an election.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1889  Postby Shrunk » May 10, 2016 3:32 pm

And yet Clinton beat Sanders. Which shows that many people are, thankfully, mature enough base their vote on factors other than how much they like someone.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1890  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Shrunk wrote:And yet Clinton beat Sanders. Which shows that many people are, thankfully, mature enough base their vote on factors other than how much they like someone.

Which is something many are finding hard to accept.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1891  Postby laklak » May 10, 2016 3:38 pm

Mrs. Lak watches those home improvement shows, a couple are set in Canada. I was flat floored by house prices. Now granted most of these are filmed in large urban centers, but Jesus, people talk about 800,000 like it's nothing.

It evens out. Spend an additional 500,000 on your house, or pay 1000 a month for good medical insurance. If I've got the 1000 I'd pick that, because a half a million buys one fuck of a lot of health insurance. However, if I'm not earning much then I'd take the other side.

As for beer, I only drink Mexican. Dos Equis, because I'm just that interesting.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1892  Postby Boyle » May 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Shrunk wrote:And yet Clinton beat Sanders. Which shows that many people are, thankfully, mature enough base their vote on factors other than how much they like someone.

Maybe. Kerry lost to Bush, and while I wasn't super cognizant of that election I remember a big reason being that Bush was more likable (and the economy was doing "great"). Elections are about people selling themselves, so while Clinton may be better overall for the country than Trump (low bar there, watch your head), she has to come across as more likable. I think she probably will, but if she was just personally odious and that bled through into her public appearances? Nah. Or, maybe, this election has a very low standard for "worst candidate running".

Like, do you believe that Trump would win if he was a details man with great plans, the best plans, the most beautiful plans? Saying sexist/racist/stupid shit is an easy way to lose. It's not a fight over ideas, it's a fight over people. It has been since Nixon lost to Kennedy because he looked like a hot pile of shit on TV. People don't want a hot pile of shit leading the nation. It's embarrassing.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1893  Postby OlivierK » May 10, 2016 3:58 pm

laklak wrote:If I've got the 1000 I'd pick that, because a half a million buys one fuck of a lot of health insurance. However, if I'm not earning much then I'd take the other side.

Meh, at 1000 a month from the time you turn 18, half a mill doesn't even get you to age 60.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1894  Postby laklak » May 10, 2016 4:00 pm

It's a lot cheaper than that when you're young, though. We were paying $1050 a month for two of us, and me an old fart. But point taken.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1895  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 10, 2016 4:04 pm

I wouldn't move to that States if I hadn't secured a job through which I was provided comprehensive healthcare coverage first.

laklak wrote:Mrs. Lak watches those home improvement shows, a couple are set in Canada. I was flat floored by house prices. Now granted most of these are filmed in large urban centers, but Jesus, people talk about 800,000 like it's nothing.

Lol, average cost of a detached home in the metro Vancouver area (which includes suburbs of Vancouver) is $1.2 million. I haven't heard of a house for 800 thou in over a decade.

They're giving houses away for free in major cities in central and eastern Canada so there's that. You can live on fairly little but have a high standard of living in most of Canada. Not here though!
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1896  Postby Willie71 » May 10, 2016 4:05 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:In the world of cheap beer, yeah, that's absolutely true. Outside of pisswater, American, Canadian, it's all roughly the same alcohol percentage.

Pabst is the cheapest virtually everywhere I go though so sometimes you just pound back 30% more than you're used to. The hostel I was staying at a few weeks ago had a bar - it's actually an extremely beautiful old hotel but the neighbourhood has gone to seed so it's been turned into a hostel and they've kept the bar open - and served people staying at the hostel PBR for $2. You just can't do better than that.

The best cheap beer I have found is Brewhouse Pilsner.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1897  Postby Boyle » May 10, 2016 4:07 pm

laklak wrote:Mrs. Lak watches those home improvement shows, a couple are set in Canada. I was flat floored by house prices. Now granted most of these are filmed in large urban centers, but Jesus, people talk about 800,000 like it's nothing.

Eh, $800k isn't bad. But, I'm coming out of SF so my idea of a decent price for a decent home is like. . . well, average price is $1,000,000 and that's for what is probably a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath place with a shit yard/no yard and no views.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1898  Postby Willie71 » May 10, 2016 4:08 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I wouldn't move to that States if I hadn't secured a job through which I was provided comprehensive healthcare coverage first.

Lol, average cost of a detached home in the metro Vancouver area (which includes suburbs of Vancouver) is $1.2 million. I haven't heard of a house for 800 thou in over a decade.

They're giving houses away for free in major cities in central and eastern Canada so there's that. You can live on fairly little but have a high standard of living in most of Canada. Not here though!

In my area the average home price is a bit over $425,000. Starter homes in the low to mid $200's. If you want a garage and a concrete driveway, $300,000 and up. I live on a $900,000 property, but we have 3.5 acres in an area less than 1/2 h from a major center. For perspective, we mortgaged $600,000, and we pay $1120 biweekly.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1899  Postby laklak » May 10, 2016 4:11 pm

Yeah I hear it's expensive out there, that's why I live in the Benighted South. My nephew is doing his surgical residency in Honolulu, talk about fucking expensive. $2500 a month rent for a 400 sq ft "one bedroom". Quotes necessary because the "bedroom" has a folding door you can pull across the room.

Fuck that for a game of soldiers. My other nephew just bought a 3 bed 3 bath pool home on a full acre just 20 minutes from downtown Sarasota for $275K.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1900  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 10, 2016 4:27 pm

You can rent a room in an apartment in Vancouver for $1,300/mo. I've seen some ads that offer free accommodations but they require me to be a young attractive woman and "open-minded". I'm not sure what that means.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs