US Senate says climate change not caused by humans

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

US Senate says climate change not caused by humans

#1  Postby Keep It Real » May 04, 2015 1:40 pm

In 50-49 vote, US Senate says climate change not caused by humans

WASHINGTON — The Senate rejected the scientific consensus that humans are causing climate change, days after NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration declared 2014 the hottest year ever recorded on Earth.

The Republican-controlled Senate defeated a measure Wednesday stating that climate change is real and that human activity significantly contributes to it. Sen. Brian Schatz, D-Hawaii, offered the measure as the Senate debated the Keystone XL pipeline, which would tap the carbon-intensive oil sands in the Canadian province of Alberta.

The Senate voted 50-49 on the measure, which required 60 votes in order to pass.

“Only in the halls of Congress is this a controversial piece of legislation,” Schatz said.

The chairman of the environment committee, Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., is an enthusiastic denier of climate change, saying it is the “biggest hoax” perpetrated against mankind.

“The hoax is there are some people so arrogant to think they are so powerful they can change the climate,” Inhofe said Wednesday on the Senate floor. “Man can’t change the climate.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/01/22/politics/senate-not-ready-to-tie-climate-change-to-mankind/?utm_source=BDN+News+Updates&utm_campaign=a4475d81a1-RSS_AFTERNOONUPDATE_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_715eed3192-a4475d81a1-82523041

What a corrupt, incompetent leadership the US has. Very depressing. :nono:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

Re: US Senate says climate change not caused by humans

#2  Postby Animavore » May 04, 2015 1:46 pm

The "man can't change the environment" argument is so monumentally stupid. A look at Google maps is all it takes to show that we can, and do, change the environmet. No other animal shows any evidence of their existence from 30,000 feet. Without humans on the planet, one might suspect a planet entirely populated by plant life without close examination.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby NineBerry » May 04, 2015 1:49 pm

Animavore wrote:The "man can't change the environment" argument is so monumentally stupid. A look at Google maps is all it takes to show that we can, and do, change the environmet. No other animal shows any evidence of their existence from 30,000 feet. Without humans on the planet, one might suspect a planet entirely populated by plant life without close examination.

Corals won't agree.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » May 04, 2015 1:50 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Animavore wrote:The "man can't change the environment" argument is so monumentally stupid. A look at Google maps is all it takes to show that we can, and do, change the environmet. No other animal shows any evidence of their existence from 30,000 feet. Without humans on the planet, one might suspect a planet entirely populated by plant life without close examination.

Corals won't agree.

They're nothing but a bunch of planty bastards anyway :P
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby NineBerry » May 04, 2015 1:52 pm

Corals are animals, not plants. But this strengthens your point. Even some small animals like corals are able to change the face of the earth.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » May 04, 2015 1:55 pm

I know they are animals.

The point is you can see lots of clear evidence of our affecting the environment with your own eyes. It might be the case that the problem with convincing people of change in our atmosphere is that, unlike devastation of forests and massive pollution of the ocean, you can't see it directly.

Of course our whole atmosphere was created by little life-forms in the first place by oxygenising it. So I don't know how it's arrogant to assume we can't change the environment. I can only suspect some fucked-up, supernaturalist viewpoint on how the environment came to be to be the root. A dimwitted view that only God can change the face of His creation.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Arcanyn » May 04, 2015 1:59 pm

I love this notion that if they can convince people that humans didn't cause climate change, that this would somehow make it not a bad thing. I'm sure if a comet was discovered to be on collision course with Earth, everyone would just shrug their shoulders and say "oh, well, we didn't put it there, so there's no need to do anything about it."
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Arjan Dirkse » May 04, 2015 3:47 pm

Climate change will cause the end of civilization, pretty much. In 500 years all that's left will be tiny communities of humans in Siberia and Greenland, or Antarctica.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#9  Postby pcCoder » May 04, 2015 4:55 pm

How many nuclear bombs do we have? If there were all evenly distributed over the entire world and detonated, would that affect the environment? Oh, wait, man can't change the environment. /sarcasm
pcCoder

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Arcanyn » May 04, 2015 5:53 pm

I suppose Yahweh would step in at the last minute to stop them from going off, or something.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 04, 2015 6:28 pm

I found the study 50 of the Senators used to come to their decision.

Here's a cover shot:
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby orpheus » May 05, 2015 12:40 pm

Arcanyn wrote:I love this notion that if they can convince people that humans didn't cause climate change, that this would somehow make it not a bad thing. I'm sure if a comet was discovered to be on collision course with Earth, everyone would just shrug their shoulders and say "oh, well, we didn't put it there, so there's no need to do anything about it."

That's an excellent point.

I also find it hilarious that a bunch of self-important politicians think they can decide the existence of non-existence of scientific phenomena by vote. It's like a Monty Python sketch.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Cito di Pense » May 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Keep in mind, folks, that human beings are not actually distinct from the earth. AGW is just something that happens. Believing humans can do something about it, well, that's humanism for ya. I'm not telling you not to believe that, if you need something to believe in.

The Senate has a completely different agenda in declaring that humans do not cause climate change.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Teague » May 05, 2015 3:08 pm

50/99 senators are thick as shit.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Keep It Real » May 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Or corrupt (more likely IMO).
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#16  Postby Alan B » May 05, 2015 3:38 pm

Oh dear! The "I'm not a scientist" Republicans sticking their fingers in their ears as usual. Ignorant twats! :roll: :roll:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 05, 2015 10:43 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Or corrupt (more likely IMO).

I think this is closer to the truth.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby lucek » May 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Didn't grass kick off an ice age?

Cyanobacteria turn the oceans from green to blue?

Coccolithophores make the cliffs of dover?
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Rumraket » May 06, 2015 2:24 am

Last I checked the atmosphere contains a significant amount of oxygen. Where'd that come from?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#20  Postby Briton » May 06, 2015 7:52 am

Keep It Real wrote:Or corrupt (more likely IMO).

...and dishonest. Most probably believe that climate change is happening, and that human activity is contributing to that in a big way, but they don't care. As most are Christians, why should they?
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs