Woman Recording Cop Activity Gets Cell Phone Smashed

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Woman Recording Cop Activity Gets Cell Phone Smashed

#21  Postby orpheus » Apr 23, 2015 4:22 am

Steve wrote:Regarding police and body cameras. I think any police action gets tossed if the body camera or sound recording is turned off. They sometimes point in useless directions - that might also be grounds. And I also think the police do not get first access to them. They get uploaded and stored for maybe 3 years. In the case of being evidence they get stored like any other evidence.

With the police using body cameras I heard the complaints dropped through the floor. And it isn't all due to police misconduct. Plenty of complaints are trumped up by the complainer. But if there is a recording being made it is that much harder to bullshit about it.

Also the police do not investigate their own. Or at least, complaints against the police get citizen oversight. There should be an independent group steering these investigations, one not tied to the justice system. Obviously the justice system will be used to apply the law, but the oversight should be run to give some separation and protection from police manipulation.

We're thinking along similar lines. In one of the other threads about current examples of police brutality, I posted this: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p2214374

Incidentally, isn't it a hell of a sad and disgusting thing that there's more than one thread now? One incident is bad enough. But this trend is appalling.

Edit: typo
Last edited by orpheus on Apr 23, 2015 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Thommo » Apr 23, 2015 4:25 am

orpheus wrote:Incidentally, isn't it a hell of a sad and disgusting thing that there's more than one thread now? One incident is bad enough. But this trend is appalling.

It seems appalling, but it could yet be a good sign - maybe it's happened for far too long, but now we are realising and seeing just how much it happens. This could be a precursor to something good, like all police officers wearing body cams, something that I thoroughly approve of after all I've seen and read on the subject.
Thommo

Print view this post

#23  Postby orpheus » Apr 23, 2015 4:58 am

Thommo wrote:
orpheus wrote:Incidentally, isn't it a hell of a sad and disgusting thing that there's more than one thread now? One incident is bad enough. But this trend is appalling.

It seems appalling, but it could yet be a good sign - maybe it's happened for far too long, but now we are realising and seeing just how much it happens. This could be a precursor to something good, like all police officers wearing body cams, something that I thoroughly approve of after all I've seen and read on the subject.

Let's hope. Clearly there are widespread systemic problems. It would be great if being in the spotlight helps change things.

One thing just came to mind. What about requiring police to wear cameras that not only record, but also automatically upload to a remote server in real time? I'm not a techie; others here are much more knowledgable about these things. But it seems to me that that would add still another element to prevent cops tampering with the video. For even greater security, I could imagine the signal (a) being encrypted, and (b) going to not one remote server, but to several. Each would be controlled by an independent entity: non-police, non-political, and independent from each other.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Thommo » Apr 23, 2015 5:02 am

orpheus wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Let's hope. Clearly there are widespread systemic problems. It would be great if being in the spotlight helps change things.

One thing just came to mind. What about requiring police to wear cameras that not only record, but also automatically upload to a remote server in real time? I'm not a techie; others here are much more knowledgable about these things. But it seems to me that that would add still another element to prevent cops tampering with the video. For even greater security, I could imagine the signal (a) being encrypted, and (b) going to not one remote server, but to several. Each would be controlled by an independent entity: non-police, non-political, and independent from each other.

It sounds hypothetically possible, I doubt there will be the will though, due to the associated costs. Even just outfitting all cops with body cams will probably go a long way with these serious issues. All the research I've seen shows that both cops and the public behave better with these things fitted, whether that be in the UK where shooting isn't an issue or the US where it's been very present in the media lately.
Thommo

Print view this post

#25  Postby Briton » Apr 23, 2015 7:26 am

Steve wrote:
With the police using body cameras I heard the complaints dropped through the floor. And it isn't all due to police misconduct. Plenty of complaints are trumped up by the complainer. But if there is a recording being made it is that much harder to bullshit about it.

Where do you get your evidence for that? No doubt it happens but I'd be surprised if false complaints are not hugely out numbered by police abuse. What's the point of making a false complaint in any case? Nothing is going to happen if it's just your word against a cop. Sounds like a red herring to me.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 8:37 am

Just rack up aggression.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Briton » Apr 23, 2015 9:39 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Just rack up aggression.

What would, body cams?
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 9:45 am

Briton wrote:

What would, body cams?

Amongst other things. You dont think a cycle of aggression is taking place? Do you think this is perfectly logical for a law enforcement agency to act? I would not call them police. Police have brains. These idiots are one step away from robocop which I think will appear on American streets within the next decade. In a society where aggression pays who is going to stop it?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Briton » Apr 23, 2015 9:50 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Briton wrote:

What would, body cams?

Amongst other things. You dont think a cycle of aggression is taking place? Do you think this is perfectly logical for a law enforcement agency to act? I would not call them police. Police have brains. These idiots are one step away from robocop which I think will appear on American streets within the next decade. In a society where aggression pays who is going to stop it?

It's already been demonstrated that body cams have had a positive effect on interactions between the police and the public. Thinking they would rack up aggression seems a bit odd.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Steve » Apr 23, 2015 9:54 am

Briton wrote:
Steve wrote:

Where do you get your evidence for that? No doubt it happens but I'd be surprised if false complaints are not hugely out numbered by police abuse. What's the point of making a false complaint in any case? Nothing is going to happen if it's just your word against a cop. Sounds like a red herring to me.

I was told by a friend I trust. He is 82 and a bit blind, but he reads on te interwebs, but he doesn't get things confused. He is a bit conservative, and we will argue over over stuff but his sources always check out. I will ask him when I see him next.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 23, 2015 9:55 am

He sounds amazing.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 10:00 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:It's already been demonstrated that body cams have had a positive effect on interactions between the police and the public. Thinking they would rack up aggression seems a bit odd.

Once again a complete misunderstanding.

I presume you do live in a society that does have a police force and not a law enforcement agency?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Teague » Apr 23, 2015 10:05 am

HughMcB wrote:Same shit, different day;
Despite court rulings, people are still getting arrested for recording on-duty cops

They need to press charges for assault by this marhsal.

Just think about the working minds of these people who want to make it illegal to film the police at their jobs. They want to go through all the trouble of writing up and implementing the new law for what reason? Do they even give a reason for trying to make it illegal? Are they that corrupt that these fuckheads need a law so they can continue being the assholes that they are?

Recording the police doing their jobs is entirely harmless and protects people when the cops know they're being filmed. They, on the other hand, don't want you seeing what they're doing because then they can't abuse everyone as much.

The fact is, they're being shown daily what a bunch of cunts they are. The fact that they're trying to make it illegal gives the BIGGEST reason to keep it legal!

What a disgusting and vile group of people.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 10:08 am

If you dont train them what can you expect?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Briton » Apr 23, 2015 10:34 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:It's already been demonstrated that body cams have had a positive effect on interactions between the police and the public. Thinking they would rack up aggression seems a bit odd.

I presume you do live in a society that does have a police force and not a law enforcement agency?

I wrote that, not Rachel.

You said you think body cams would rack up aggression, in what way am I misunderstanding?
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 10:44 am

Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

You said you think body cams would rack up aggression, in what way am I misunderstanding?

Sorry. Bad quotes.

I was in the police for a while and always found the more casual approach in many situations worked far better than the heavy handed methods. Having a camera on you with it staring at the individual you are talking to is heavy handed.

I am glad that the Dutch police dont use them and have never seen the use of them. Aggression seems to be a standard working method in American law enforcement agencies. Never had any time for it when working in the streets of Edinburgh.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Briton » Apr 23, 2015 10:51 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Sorry. Bad quotes.

I was in the police for a while and always found the more casual approach in many situations worked far better than the heavy handed methods. Having a camera on you with it staring at the individual you are talking to is heavy handed.

I don't see these cameras as being 'heavy handed' and we already have evidence from the USA that body cams have had a positive effect.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 23, 2015 10:58 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:

How the fuck did you make this mistake? My name appears NOWHERE in the post that contains the quote you've attributed to me.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 11:01 am

That is an American situation not a European one. I never had handcuffs with me as they were not standard issue. The only weapon I had was a useless piece of wood which we called a baton. Only used a couple of times usually for hammering nails.
In America it started with the zero tolerance approach which started the demise of the friendly cop. Now we have almost robocops running around.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 11:02 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

How the fuck did you make this mistake? My name appears NOWHERE in the post that contains the quote you've attributed to me.

I dont know. You never make mistakes?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs