Woman Recording Cop Activity Gets Cell Phone Smashed

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Woman Recording Cop Activity Gets Cell Phone Smashed

#41  Postby Teague » Apr 23, 2015 1:19 pm

OK but in the states, since the aggression and attitude is already way over the top, the body cams are going to be less threatening and keep the police in check, right - this is a good thing. I have no issue with the police wearing them. They show what happened don't they?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 1:27 pm

Ok in the states everything is already so fucked up a camera is not going to make any difference but in Europe I think we have not reached that level of aggression.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Warren Dew » Apr 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Briton wrote:
Steve wrote:
With the police using body cameras I heard the complaints dropped through the floor. And it isn't all due to police misconduct. Plenty of complaints are trumped up by the complainer. But if there is a recording being made it is that much harder to bullshit about it.

Where do you get your evidence for that? No doubt it happens but I'd be surprised if false complaints are not hugely out numbered by police abuse. What's the point of making a false complaint in any case? Nothing is going to happen if it's just your word against a cop. Sounds like a red herring to me.

The point of making a false complaint is to put the police on the defensive, which some view as a good thing in itself. In addition, a complaint can open up additional legal avenues if you are prosecuted.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby Teague » Apr 23, 2015 3:12 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Ok in the states everything is already so fucked up a camera is not going to make any difference but in Europe I think we have not reached that level of aggression.

But it is making a difference, like people have repeatedly told you in this thread :)
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Teague wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Ok in the states everything is already so fucked up a camera is not going to make any difference but in Europe I think we have not reached that level of aggression.

But it is making a difference, like people have repeatedly told you in this thread :)

In America. We dont use them here so there is no data also I dont think the police forces here compare in anyway to the law enforcement agencies of the States.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#46  Postby HughMcB » Apr 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Body cameras protect both civilians and police officers.

Fact Check: Do Police Cameras Decrease Police Complaints?

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as clearly it has benefits for identifying suspects, crimes and introduced as evidence in court.

I'd feel a lot more confident on a jury seeing video evidence of a crime in progress than a he said she said of events.

It's time for the police to modernize.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#47  Postby HughMcB » Apr 23, 2015 4:25 pm

First scientific report shows police body-worn-cameras can prevent unacceptable use-of-force
Researchers from the University of Cambridge’s Institute of Criminology (IoC) have now published the first full scientific study of the landmark crime experiment they conducted on policing with body-worn-cameras in Rialto, California in 2012 — the results of which have been cited by police departments around the world as justification for rolling out this technology.

The experiment showed that evidence capture is just one output of body-worn video, and the technology is perhaps most effective at actually preventing escalation during police-public interactions: whether that’s abusive behaviour towards police or unnecessary use-of-force by police.

The researchers say the knowledge that events are being recorded creates “self-awareness” in all participants during police interactions. This is the critical component that turns body-worn video into a ‘preventative treatment’: causing individuals to modify their behaviour in response to an awareness of ‘third-party’ surveillance by cameras acting as a proxy for legal courts — as well as courts of public opinion — should unacceptable behaviour take place.

During the 12-month Rialto experiment, use-of-force by officers wearing cameras fell by 59% and reports against officers dropped by 87% against the previous year’s figures.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 4:37 pm

In America Hugh.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#49  Postby HughMcB » Apr 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Well I guess we'll find out soon. Metropolitan Police officers start wearing body cameras.

But in the meantime I really can't see your argument. I know, I know you generally think the USA is garbage, but I don't see how the use of body cams is not useful elsewhere. Or as you suggested, somehow provocative.

I've been rolled up on by police a couple of times in my youth in Ireland, most of the time the guards were complete cunts to us in things they said and did, despite us doing nothing illegal. Sometimes they pulled shit that I thought wasn't legal (like taking sealed cans of beer from us despite being of age). I would have liked for there to be film rolling. Another friend of mine got the shit kicked out of him while handcuffed for laughing at a guard. Again, I'm sure he would have appreciated a tape of that.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 23, 2015 4:53 pm

I think it is the wrong move. If procedures are followed and the force is well trained there is no need of them. It is just another step towards robocop which is the mentality in America but not in Europe.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#51  Postby orpheus » Apr 23, 2015 11:54 pm

Videocameras are everywhere. Shops, parking garages, schools, hospitals, libraries, other public and private buildings, sidewalks, pedestrian crossings, parks, other public and private outdoor spaces, roads, highways, street intersections, tollbooths, state borders, etc. I've never, ever heard any police representative complain about this. Indeed, the conventional wisdom is that it helps prevent crime. And if crime does occur and is captured on video, this is also universally regarded as a good thing. It can help identify the criminals. It can help determine what really happened. It can be compelling evidence in court. Again, police seem to think this is self-evidently good.

So why do they have a problem with their own activities being recorded? Indeed, they are far more likely than Joe Citizen to be where crime may be taking place — that's their job. Shouldn't they welcome this? Why the inconsistency?
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#52  Postby NineBerry » Apr 24, 2015 8:10 am

It clearly is a inconsistency. Just as police over here are highly offended when people demand riot police officers wear a visible identification number for identification of misbehaviour during a police operation.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby Teague » Apr 24, 2015 9:56 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:I think it is the wrong move. If procedures are followed and the force is well trained there is no need of them. It is just another step towards robocop which is the mentality in America but not in Europe.

Considering both parties know they're being filmed, I don't see how this is going robocop. Also, no training in the world is going to make a determined cunt stop being a cunt, right?

I wonder how the figures have dropped for people actually resisting arrest? It only says complaints and police violence has dropped, what about the people being violent towards the police?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 24, 2015 10:42 am

This is going very robocop. Cant see it? Next step? Central control? It is just not necessary.
Police here anyway have a totally different approach thank goodness. We have here the ME which is a sort of riot police but even their attitude is laid back in fact it is quite funny to see them operate. If things do get rough then they do swing into action and they do act. I was once caught up in a demo with the ME in action. A woman member saw I did not belong and protected me while I managed to get out.

I dont know maybe it is Dutch society.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Teague » Apr 24, 2015 11:08 am

What do you mean by "central control"?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 24, 2015 11:10 am

Teague wrote:What do you mean by "central control"?

Using the camera's to direct the men(robots).

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Teague » Apr 24, 2015 11:22 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:

:shock:

So you mean in the next 500 years?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 24, 2015 11:28 am

Teague wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

No Teague within the decade well in America at least.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Teague » Apr 24, 2015 11:38 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Teague wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

So in 10 years we're going to have fully automated robots that can chase down suspects and arrest them? If that's the case they would be doing trials now and going through development - do you have any links to either of these?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Teague wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Teague wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

So in 10 years we're going to have fully automated robots that can chase down suspects and arrest them? If that's the case they would be doing trials now and going through development - do you have any links to either of these?

Fully functional no but halfway house. Could be.

Something like this for extra speed and power? Extra amour?

Is it so far away?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs