About your atheist convictions in regard to social issues

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: About your atheist convictions in regard to social issues

#61  Postby Thommo » Oct 03, 2013 8:22 am

Blip wrote:I'm not sure if I'm part of the target audience for your question, Thommo, as I remarked that I would have pretended belief in order to save my skin. Assuming I am, as I stated that I would never pretend belief for financial gain, it's just that I despise hypocrisy and affecting religious conviction would stick in my craw.

You weren't, you qualified your original answer very clearly, but thanks for your answer anyway! I do know what you mean, I try and avoid churches like the plague because it makes me feel like a hypocrite, but occasionally one has to just suck it up, like when my brother (who is an atheist) and his wife (who is some form of nonbeliever, not sure I'd call it atheism) got their children christened and asked me to be a godparent. I found the whole situation ridiculous, but the best way out seemed to be to to just agree and stay quiet in church.
Thommo

Print view this post

#62  Postby Scar » Oct 03, 2013 8:25 am

1. Would you marry/spend your life with a person of a different religion? If yes, would you participate in your spouse's religious rituals as a form of tolerance, or would you firmly oppose performing such rituals, considering them hypocritical acts?

I'm already spending my life with a catholic (who's by now learned not to try and discuss catholicism with me). I don't care much about marriage. I oppose participating in rituals as far as I can. (I would still, for instance, be present at funerals and such because I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I would not pray though)

2. Do you feel as if your atheism is a defining trait for you? By this I mean, do you consider your atheism as one of your main characteristics? Having answered the previous question, do you think that other people would say that your atheism is a defining trait for you?

No and no.

3. Would you pretend to not be an atheist/agnostic if there was a perceived monetary or social gain for you?

Nope. But I don't live in a country where this is a problem at all.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#63  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 03, 2013 9:00 am

Without reading much of this thread, here are my answers:

Lentes wrote:...

1. Would you marry/spend your life with a person of a different religion? If yes, would you participate in your spouse's religious rituals as a form of tolerance, or would you firmly oppose performing such rituals, considering them hypocritical acts?

Probably not. Religion is a too closely held belief set to tolerate any sort of significant difference for very long.

Lentes wrote:2. Do you feel as if your atheism is a defining trait for you? By this I mean, do you consider your atheism as one of your main characteristics? Having answered the previous question, do you think that other people would say that your atheism is a defining trait for you?

Pretty much, yes. It is, however, only one of a spectrum of concepts for which no basis in reality exists in which I don't believe to be true.

Lentes wrote:3. Would you pretend to not be an atheist/agnostic if there was a perceived monetary or social gain for you?

No. Pretend to be a theist for personal gain? No. The planet is filled with assholes who pretend to believe in some god or other for personal gain. No fucking way I'm going to be another one of those grubby little parasites.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby zulumoose » Oct 04, 2013 7:05 am

Thommo wrote:Can I ask a question of the various people who say they would never pretend to be a theist for any purpose? Why?

Atheism isn't a belief, it's not worth dying for, what possible reason would you have for not just pretending?

Edit: Just to add, that if this sounds too confrontational it isn't intended to be, I realise that people may simply have interpreted the question differently and thus omitted to specify if they would, I am merely curious as to if anyone really does value their atheism above their life and if so, why?

I have strong convictions about honesty, it has a lot to do with my self-image. I would not lie for profit or gain of any sort, it would have to be something compelling like protecting my children from imminent danger that would enable me to lie and not have great difficulty living with it afterwards.

The initial question was not as strongly worded as life-or-death, it was limited to monetary or social gain.

3. Would you pretend to not be an atheist/agnostic if there was a perceived monetary or social gain for you?
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#65  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 04, 2013 9:23 am

True. There are places on earth where adherence to the local theism may translate to life or death on that alone. I do not grace those places with the benefit of my shadow, nor will I ever.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Nebogipfel » Oct 04, 2013 10:44 am

Thommo wrote:Can I ask a question of the various people who say they would never pretend to be a theist for any purpose? Why?

Atheism isn't a belief, it's not worth dying for, what possible reason would you have for not just pretending?

Edit: Just to add, that if this sounds too confrontational it isn't intended to be, I realise that people may simply have interpreted the question differently and thus omitted to specify if they would, I am merely curious as to if anyone really does value their atheism above their life and if so, why?

It's an interesting point. I wondered a few times what i would do given the choice between conversion and death. Ultimately, I concluded: why should i throw away the only life i'm going to get, make a widow of my wife and deprive my kids of a father, just to make a point to some maniac who's probably incapable of understanding it?
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Thommo » Oct 04, 2013 11:15 am

zulumoose wrote:I have strong convictions about honesty, it has a lot to do with my self-image. I would not lie for profit or gain of any sort, it would have to be something compelling like protecting my children from imminent danger that would enable me to lie and not have great difficulty living with it afterwards.

The initial question was not as strongly worded as life-or-death, it was limited to monetary or social gain.

Thanks for your answer as well, it looks like I was reading too much into it, which makes more sense.
Thommo

Print view this post

#68  Postby Agrippina » Oct 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Nebogipfel wrote:

It's an interesting point. I wondered a few times what i would do given the choice between conversion and death. Ultimately, I concluded: why should i throw away the only life i'm going to get, make a widow of my wife and deprive my kids of a father, just to make a point to some maniac who's probably incapable of understanding it?

Exactly. I would also say between pretending and paying lip service, and being dragged off to prison and being labelled a "terrorist" because you happen to hold views that go against the ideology of the state, I would pretend and pay lip service. And I did.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Cthulhu's Trilby » Oct 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Lentes wrote:3. Would you pretend to not be an atheist/agnostic if there was a perceived monetary or social gain for you??

When I was about 13 I hatched a cunning plan to bring down the Roman Catholic Church by becoming Pope and then, at some much later apposite moment, I would throw off that funny little hat-thing and shout: "Aha! Fooled you all! I don't believe any of this nonsense!"

You would not believe the hours of tedious church servicery and dusty old theology it takes to even become a priest - yet more to become a cardinal - and that's not to mention the extraordinary amount of ring kissing and pole greasing it takes to actually become pontiff.

Anyway, I was rumbled before I could do the pull-back-and-reveal.

Cheers,

(Former) Pope Benedict XVI
Cthulhu's Trilby

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Matthew Shute » Oct 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Cthulhu's Trilby wrote:
Lentes wrote:3. Would you pretend to not be an atheist/agnostic if there was a perceived monetary or social gain for you??

When I was about 13 I hatched a cunning plan to bring down the Roman Catholic Church by becoming Pope and then, at some much later apposite moment, I would throw off that funny little hat-thing and shout: "Aha! Fooled you all! I don't believe any of this nonsense!"

You would not believe the hours of tedious church servicery and dusty old theology it takes to even become a priest - yet more to become a cardinal - and that's not to mention the extraordinary amount of ring kissing and pole greasing it takes to actually become pontiff.

Anyway, I was rumbled before I could do the pull-back-and-reveal.

Cheers,

(Former) Pope Benedict XVI

The funny thing is, papal infallibility means that your stated position would define what all true Roman Catholics would have to believe. You could make it official dogma. At least temporarily, all the faithful would have to believe that God is superstitious nonsense and that the Church has no moral or spiritual authority... because you say so!

:lol:

Of course, the other Cardinals would probably murder you, way before it got that far.

:shifty:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#71  Postby tolman » Oct 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Maybe the current Pope should be watching his back?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#72  Postby Thommo » Oct 05, 2013 4:57 am

tolman wrote:Maybe the current Pope should be watching his back?

I know what you mean, I keep reading news stories that give the appearance that some horrible fuckup has occurred and that they've elected an actual human being to the position of pope by accident. A real person with empathy, compassion and the ability to follow such biblical teachings as "judge not lest ye be judged" or "turn the other cheek", clearly not suited for the job of gay-basher in chief. :nono:
Thommo

Print view this post

#73  Postby Agrippina » Oct 05, 2013 5:44 am

Thommo wrote:
tolman wrote:Maybe the current Pope should be watching his back?

I know what you mean, I keep reading news stories that give the appearance that some horrible fuckup has occurred and that they've elected an actual human being to the position of pope by accident. A real person with empathy, compassion and the ability to follow such biblical teachings as "judge not lest ye be judged" or "turn the other cheek", clearly not suited for the job of gay-basher in chief. :nono:

I just read a book about John Paul I and the conspiracy theory about his having been murdered because he had the same policies as this pope, wanted to allow birth control and shut down the Vatican bank. This guy should perhaps watch his back.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Mister Agenda » Oct 07, 2013 8:40 pm

I don't have any convictions about social issues based on my atheism. My convictions about such things tend to be based on my humanism and pragmatism.
Mister Agenda

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby John Figgs » Oct 07, 2013 11:14 pm

These questions would fit neatly for any religion, all one has to do is replace atheist/agnostic with muslim, christian, any other religion or sect on the planet. This leads me to conclude that for most atheism is more than simply ''lack of belief'' its actually some sort of anti religion of some sort. Its kinda funny actually.
John Figgs

United States (us)
Print view this post

#76  Postby tolman » Oct 08, 2013 12:38 am

John Figgs wrote:These questions would fit neatly for any religion, all one has to do is replace atheist/agnostic with muslim, christian, any other religion or sect on the planet.

Well, that certainly seems to be the conclusion you already had, which you hoped to justify.

Had you actually had an open mind and been prepared to see atheism as not necessarily more than a lack of belief, quite clearly the answers to the questions would have been expected to be:

Question 1) - A range of answers, from people who married believers to people seeing it as a potential or likely issue, in some cases on tha basis of bad experiences with believers intolerant of non-belief.
(Had you asked a non-football fan whether they would want to spend their life with a serious football fan, you might expect similar kinds of answers, even from people who weren't anti-football, but who simply didn't want their life significantly revolving around it.)

Question 2) - One might expect many answers to be that it wasn't a defining trait, and that it surfaced largely in response to outside forces. Which is what you got.
(With the non-football-fan analogy, the typical non-fan isn't likely to think about football from one week to the next, unless someone pushes them to, or they see a story on the news about footballers or football supporters acting like twats.
However, in an environment where they were repeatedly pushed to think about it or comment on it (like working in an office full of football fanatics( they could easily get a reputation as being anti-football as a result of simply failing to be a fan or to care about it.)
Of course, to skew things hugely in favour of your desired conclusion, you were bringing up atheism as a topic in the first place, in a specific forum which is far from a random sample of atheists, in a subforum of that forum talking about about atheism.
Nevertheless, even then, you got a lot of people saying it wasn't a defining trait as far as they were concerned.

Try going onto a irrationalcredulism forum and asking questions of Muslims in an Islam section, about how much they think their belief is a defining characteristic of them.

Question 3) One might expect a range of answers, depending on people's individual temperament and personal histories. Which is what you got.

Personally, for me, the extent to which I would hold my tongue about my atheism is all about my own personal tensions between honesty and politeness in particular situations, and my social responses.
If anything, my approach to that is probably a mix of innate personality and my upbringing by parents who weren't atheists, but whose teaching and examples related to morality were based on humanity rather than religion, for which I hugely respect them.

John Figgs wrote: This leads me to conclude that for most atheism is more than simply ''lack of belief'' its actually some sort of anti religion of some sort. Its kinda funny actually.

It seems likely that what leads you to conclude that is a strong predisposition to conclude it.

It would be deeply retarded to ask some questions, consider if the answers can be fitted to a pre-existing conclusion and leave it at that.
To be rationally skeptical, one should honestly ask whether the answers are consistent with different conclusions. In doing so, one should bear in mind where the questions were asked.
As it is, you asked questions in a place likely to maximise the number of 'militant atheist' responses and you still got a cross-section of replies including many which don't fit the conclusions you seemingly want to justify.

I don't think Sherlock Holmes is quoted as saying said "Once one has found that vague evidence roughly fits with a preexisting conclusion, it's perfectly fine to just switch off one's mind, declare the case closed, and fuck off down the pub."

Personally, the great majority of my friends are atheists, not for any reasons of selectivity but simply due to the very small number of believers among people who share my social interests and/or my educational background. Unless prompted by some story of religion on the news, neither religion nor atheism come up at all often as topics of conversation.

I had a month on a mountain this summer with a group of students and some other old reprobates like me, all of whom (as far as I know) are non-believers. We were nicely insulated by distance from news reports of everyday stupidity, and despite the fact that there's a huge amount of time between the serious activities for talking about everything and anything, I really can't remember religion coming up as a topic meaningfully frequently, if it came up at all. I'm quite sure we spent vastly less time talking about it than talking about the state of the shit-pit.

But then maybe that's your experience of religious people in general - that they can go from one week or month to the next without particularly thinking of religion or letting it affect their daily life.

But if so, you should remember, not everyone is lucky enough to be CofE.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#77  Postby MrFungus420 » Oct 08, 2013 1:45 am

John Figgs wrote:These questions would fit neatly for any religion,

Since you planned the wording, that's no surprise.

John Figgs wrote:all one has to do is replace atheist/agnostic with muslim, christian, any other religion or sect on the planet.

Let's see...

Your first question was about religious differences. So of course it would fit neatly with any religion...or no religion at all. You could also replace "religion" with "political stance" and it would be just as neat a fit with people of all political stances or no stance at all.

Your second question was about whether or no we consider atheism to be a defining characteristic. And, if I remember correctly, you received almost universal negative responses on that one. That seems to be quite the opposite of religious people.

On the third question, the answers ran the gamut from absolutely not to no problem.

John Figgs wrote:This leads me to conclude that for most atheism is more than simply ''lack of belief'' its actually some sort of anti religion of some sort.

Really? Why?

None of your questions could possibly lead to that conclusion.

John Figgs wrote:Its kinda funny actually.

Actually, this attempt at making atheism into a religion is kinda pathetic.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#78  Postby Fallible » Oct 08, 2013 9:25 am

John Figgs wrote:These questions would fit neatly for any religion, all one has to do is replace atheist/agnostic with muslim, christian, any other religion or sect on the planet. This leads me to conclude that for most atheism is more than simply ''lack of belief'' its actually some sort of anti religion of some sort. Its kinda funny actually.

For most what? Idiots?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Thommo » Oct 08, 2013 9:37 am

I've never understood why people continually make sock puppet accounts, negative attention on internet forums seems like such a low level of human contact.
Thommo

Print view this post

#80  Postby tolman » Oct 08, 2013 4:19 pm

MrFungus420 wrote:
John Figgs wrote:These questions would fit neatly for any religion,

Since you planned the wording, that's no surprise.

It might not be his plan (they could be questions he found somewhere else).

In fact, it might not even be a plan, simply questions asked by someone lacking a basic understanding of what 'evidence' should mean to a grown-up.

It's clear that a particular subset of believers actually has that kind of childlike mindset - told that [deity] created the birds and bees, they see the existence of birds and bees as evidence for [deity], rather than just evidence not inconsistent with alleged [deity] just as it is not inconsistent with almost every other claimed deity, is not inconsistent with a good fraction of the infinite number of imaginable deities, and is also not inconsistent with non-deity based explanations of reality.
tolman

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism