Are you proud about being an atheist?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Are you proud about being an atheist?

#281  Postby BlackBart » May 08, 2014 7:39 am

quas wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
quas wrote:Christian: Jesus is God.
Muslim: He is not.

And there go the goalposts. Christians claim Jesus and God were one and same. Muslims claim Jesus is merely a prophet and that he and God are separate entities. That does not alter the fact that Muslims and Christians both worship the God of Abraham.

Edit: Missing word syndrome again. :teef:

That matters how?

It matters because it's a humpty-dumpty usage of atheism.

Muslims and Christians are as completely irreconcilable as ever. They have vastly different religious practices: praying times, praying rituals, dietary restrictions, etc. They might as well be worshipping totally different gods since both of them consider each other as infidels. Even Muslims and Jews with more similar religious practices and beliefs (circumcision, no eating pork, doesn't believe that Jesus is divine, etc.) don't mix very well at all.

Yes, already know this. But worshipping a different god or is not atheistic towards the other person's god. Atheism is a lack of belief in supernatural deities, that's it. Saying worshipping a different god is atheistic is like saying wearing a different coloured pair of trousers is being naked.
The fact that Muslims, Christians, and come to that, Jews as well, actually worship the same god that revealed itself to Abraham further illustrate that your analogy is flawed. Worshipping the same god a different way isn't atheistic either.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#282  Postby quas » May 08, 2014 9:18 am

Which is why the word 'intheistic' should be used, as in worshipping a different god is intheistic.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#283  Postby Cito di Pense » May 08, 2014 9:24 am

quas wrote:Which is why the word 'intheistic' should be used, as in worshipping a different god is intheistic.

Once again, what was the motivation for augmenting taxonomy? Is the classification of positions vis a vis theism a science? No? I thought not. If not, then what was the motivation? To win an argument on the internet? Semantic hairsplitting for self-labeling? That's more like it. Theism is silly. Done and dusted, unless you have an argument for some serious aspect of theism.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#284  Postby BlackBart » May 08, 2014 10:25 am

quas wrote:Which is why the word 'intheistic' should be used, as in worshipping a different god is intheistic.

:what: Why do we need to pull a word out of our arse? Especially a word that would be paradoxical and redundant? It would be paradoxical because someone who believes in a different god to someone else is still a theist, so they'd be a 'intheistic theist'. It would be redundant because as there is more than one claimed god, every theist would be intheistic.

Besides, we already have words we can use;
Polytheist - someone believes in more than one god.
Monotheist - someone who believes in one god.
Atheist - someone who lacks belief in any gods.
If we need to differentiate between theists who worship the same god in a different way we can just refer to their sect.

Not sure what the issue is here. :scratch:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#285  Postby DarthHelmet86 » May 08, 2014 11:00 am

There are more terms that can be used as well, deist, gnostic, agnostic and anti-theist. This itheist/intheist really only seems to be about making out that the person is better than others because of their lack of a belief in a god.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#286  Postby BlackBart » May 08, 2014 11:07 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:There are more terms that can be used as well, deist, gnostic, agnostic and anti-theist. This itheist/intheist really only seems to be about making out that the person is better than others because of their lack of a belief in a god.

Ah. An analogue of Dawkin's 'brights' then? That didn't work out too well. :coffee:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#287  Postby tuco » May 08, 2014 11:08 am

babel wrote:
tuco wrote:Out of curiosity, is anyone proud anything? Because I find the concept of being proud hmm let me rephrase it, I cant imagine being proud (of) anything.

When I'm proud, I am because I have done something, achieved something. I'm never proud of who or what I am.

Really? I do not think I have used the expression: I am proud (of) .. ever in my life.
tuco

Print view this post

#288  Postby Paul » May 08, 2014 11:12 am

tuco wrote:
babel wrote:
tuco wrote:Out of curiosity, is anyone proud anything? Because I find the concept of being proud hmm let me rephrase it, I cant imagine being proud (of) anything.

When I'm proud, I am because I have done something, achieved something. I'm never proud of who or what I am.

Really? I do not think I have used the expression: I am proud (of) .. ever in my life.

You say that like you're proud of it :wink:

edit: can't believe I committed the your/you're error! At least I'm not too proud too admit it
Last edited by Paul on May 08, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#289  Postby Cito di Pense » May 08, 2014 12:15 pm

Paul wrote:
tuco wrote:
babel wrote:

You say that like your proud of it :wink:

:thumbup:
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#290  Postby tuco » May 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Paul wrote:
tuco wrote:
babel wrote:

You say that like you're proud of it :wink:

edit: can't believe I committed the your/you're error! At least I'm not too proud too admit it

I said that like .. according to you, but I did not say it in fact so I am not sure what your point is.
tuco

Print view this post

#291  Postby Paul » May 08, 2014 1:14 pm

It was a joke :roll:
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#292  Postby tuco » May 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Well, at least 2 people got it.
tuco

Print view this post

#293  Postby Paul » May 08, 2014 1:25 pm

If I make just one person smile today ...
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#294  Postby BlackBart » May 08, 2014 1:26 pm

:teef:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#295  Postby tuco » May 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Paul wrote:If I make just one person smile today ...

Yeah, that is something to be proud of ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#296  Postby quas » May 08, 2014 5:21 pm

BlackBart wrote:

:what: Why do we need to pull a word out of our arse? Especially a word that would be paradoxical and redundant? It would be paradoxical because someone who believes in a different god to someone else is still a theist, so they'd be a 'intheistic theist'. It would be redundant because as there is more than one claimed god, every theist would be intheistic.

Besides, we already have words we can use;
Polytheist - someone believes in more than one god.
Monotheist - someone who believes in one god.
Atheist - someone who lacks belief in any gods.
If we need to differentiate between theists who worship the same god in a different way we can just refer to their sect.

Not sure what the issue is here. :scratch:

I thought you understood. Wasn't it you who complained about my "humpty-dumpty usage of atheism"? (post #281) You got confused when I used atheism and intheism interchangeably, and yet you didn't think it necessary to use 'intheism' whenever one needs to differentiate between atheism and intheism?
quas

Print view this post

#297  Postby BlackBart » May 08, 2014 5:34 pm

What in God's name are you babbling on about?! I'm not confused at all thanks. I don't think it's necessary to use the word 'intheism' at all! For anything! And I don't think it's necessary to differentiate between atheism and intheism because there's no such fucking word as 'intheism'!!!
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#298  Postby quas » May 08, 2014 5:51 pm

BlackBart wrote: And I don't think it's necessary to differentiate between atheism and intheism because there's no such fucking word as 'intheism'!!!

Oh, come on. The concept of intheism exists (and you don't even seem to deny this). It's not something I invented. If the word to describe the concept of intheism didn't yet exist, then it's only a matter of time until someone invented that word. And, believe it or not, I didn't invent it. Many others before me had done so.
quas

Print view this post

#299  Postby BlackBart » May 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Cool story, Bro.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#300  Postby Fallible » May 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Who gives an actual shit?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism