katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Richard Dawkins Vs. William Lane Craig

#23  Postby MattHunX » Nov 22, 2010 3:10 pm

katja z wrote:

Good catch, thanks! :cheers:

Thanks indeed. YouTube is either messed up these days, or they delete the videos or they get deleted for some infringement.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#24  Postby Shrunk » Nov 22, 2010 3:14 pm

Animavore wrote:i thought dawkins was never going to debate wlc.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/nonth ... ig#p582094
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby borealis » Nov 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Bookmarking.
"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible."
Oscar Wilde
borealis

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins and Craig debate!

#26  Postby Bud's Brain » Nov 22, 2010 6:08 pm

I just can't see RD being so blatantly rude. Dismissive, yes, but it's just not subtle enough. WLC's version of the 'conversation', I'm sure. And he comes out smelling like a good christian, making friends with enemies etc.

BB
So many Christians, so few lions.
Bud's Brain

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Shrunk » Nov 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Bud's Brain wrote:I just can't see RD being so blatantly rude. Dismissive, yes, but it's just not subtle enough. WLC's version of the 'conversation', I'm sure. And he comes out smelling like a good christian, making friends with enemies etc.

I'm not actually sure that Dawkins knows any more about Craig than his article advocating genocide if it's commanded by God. It's certainly the only thing I've seen Dawkins actually acknowledge. In light of that, I think Dawkins' response, if as reported, is understandable. Come to think about it, I'm not sure how to justify any other response.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#28  Postby borealis » Nov 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Craig's smile gives me really bad shivers. :no:

Funny thing by the way, all theists seem to agree, that if God exists, then universe has a purpose.
I thought that christians believe, that after they die, they spend eternity in heaven. Then what? Nothing. They just float in heaven forever. What sort of purpose is that? :scratch:
"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible."
Oscar Wilde
borealis

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby The Plc » Nov 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Bud's Brain wrote:I just can't see RD being so blatantly rude. Dismissive, yes, but it's just not subtle enough. WLC's version of the 'conversation', I'm sure. And he comes out smelling like a good christian, making friends with enemies etc.

I'm not actually sure that Dawkins knows any more about Craig than his article advocating genocide if it's commanded by God. It's certainly the only thing I've seen Dawkins actually acknowledge. In light of that, I think Dawkins' response, if as reported, is understandable. Come to think about it, I'm not sure how to justify any other response.

Someone also put a video of Craig slandering Dawkins through a wilful misreading of Dawkins' view that religious labeling and indoctrination of children should count as a form of child abuse. Craig claimed that if people like Dawkins ever came to politcal power they would advocate taking children away from their families and have them raised by the state in athiest foster homes, which is nothing that Dawkins even remotely suggested. Dawkins posted that he considered it libel, but nothing further.

I'm sure he's not ignorant of who Craig is and what he's about, as he and his apologetics gets brought up now and again on his website discussion forums. His pithy answer to the Kalam cosmological argument as put by Craig was 'You forgot step four, hence Jesus died for our sins and regularly turns into a cracker'.
The Plc

Print view this post

#30  Postby Shrunk » Nov 23, 2010 2:17 am

The Plc wrote:His pithy answer to the Kalam cosmological argument as put by Craig was 'You forgot step four, hence Jesus died for our sins and regularly turns into a cracker'.

:lol:
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Xaihe » Nov 23, 2010 4:53 am

When Craig started talking (around 1 hour 14 minutes) about atheists' make belief and illusion of purpose, my irony meter exploded :lol: .
Consciousness is make believe. Just think about it.
Xaihe

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Arcanyn » Nov 23, 2010 6:46 am

borealis wrote:Craig's smile gives me really bad shivers. :no:

Funny thing by the way, all theists seem to agree, that if God exists, then universe has a purpose.
I thought that christians believe, that after they die, they spend eternity in heaven. Then what? Nothing. They just float in heaven forever. What sort of purpose is that? :scratch:

The purpose is much more sinister than that. The purpose, according to Christianity, is for humans to exist solely as a means to an end, to be useful to another being. What desires, aims, and interests we have are irrelevant. Our lives have purpose for the same reason a hammer has a purpose - because some other entity finds it to be useful. The viewpoint put forth by Craig is that the only way our lives can have meaning is if we exist to be used, and that we have no value in and of ourselves. Thus, there can be no purpose in atheism, because we weren't created for the benefit of somebody else, and there's no big powerful being going around exploiting us.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#33  Postby tnjrp » Nov 23, 2010 7:17 am

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence
~ Adept Corteswain, Warhammer 40.000 Necron Codex
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#34  Postby THWOTH » Nov 23, 2010 8:23 pm

trubble76 wrote:Is David Icke going?

And is Craig going to weasel out of debating him if he is?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Peter Brown » Nov 23, 2010 9:52 pm

The religious used the Chewbacca Defense in this debate.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#36  Postby Rumraket » Nov 23, 2010 10:05 pm

Peter Brown wrote:The religious used the Chewbacca Defense in this debate.

The Chewbacca Defense...
I'm intrigued. Please elaborate :popcorn:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#37  Postby Think Floyd » Nov 23, 2010 10:18 pm

MattHunX wrote:The only "over-zealous" speaker I've heard, and keep hearing with pleasure, on the atheistic/scientific side is Neil deGrasse Tyson. But, unlike the theists, in their fervor, who don't actually say anything worthwhile, not to someone who relies on reason, Tyson and Co. are simply passionate about something that IS, something that exists, and not something they (desperately) wish would exist.

You can tell that Tyson absolutely loves his work, he has such astounding passion for it.
chairman bill wrote:
Unbridled capitalism is a scary & destructive beast. So long as society acts to tame & control it, it works quite well.
Think Floyd

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby THWOTH » Nov 23, 2010 10:18 pm

Rumraket wrote:

The Chewbacca Defense...

"Look at the monkey, look at the silly monkey..."
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Matt_B » Nov 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Rumraket wrote:

The Chewbacca Defense...

It's not as exciting as it sounds. Basically, you just spout a load of nonsense about Chewbacca (or something equally irrelevant to the discussion) and end with an appeal that it supports your argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Peter Brown » Nov 23, 2010 10:21 pm

Rumraket wrote:

The Chewbacca Defense...

Cochran
Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense
Peter Brown

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism