On the banning and partial banning of words!

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: On the banning and partial banning of words!

#1081  Postby Oldskeptic » Jun 16, 2014 5:15 pm

Platko wrote:
Well you provide a link to a study, like Hackenslash did, and I'll be happy to critique it, like I did for Hackenslash. As I recall, by the time I was done, Hackenslash agreed the study Hackenslash linked to wasn't very good.

Yeah, you really straighten Hack out.

Hackenslash wrote:
No, the study was flawed because it was studying something predicated on the existence of a preposterous magical entity extracted from the recta of pre-scientific, ignorant bronze-age goat-roasters who couldn't tell their arses from their elbows.

I hope that clears things up.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#1082  Postby John Platko » Jun 16, 2014 5:28 pm

Agrippina wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
John Platko wrote:

It's not about losing face. It's about being precise and truthful. I don't know that there is extraterrestrial life but I wouldn't dismiss them as non-existent- which is how you seem to handle this kind of situation.

Of course it's about losing face. We're not talking about extraterrestrial life. We're talking about supernatural life. Life on another planet in another galaxy is easily tested for once we are able to travel to another galaxy.

I don't recall saying anything about another galaxy. Are you attempting a world record goal post movement?

What the hell do you think extraterrestrial life is, if it isn't from another galaxy? Do you have evidence for life outside of earth existing on another planet in the Milky Way? :think:

The evidence I have for extraterrestrial life outside the milkeyway is remarkably similar to evidence for extraterrestrial life in the milkeyway.

Also, we don't know if we will ever be able to travel to another galaxy. Until we can, by the type of "reasoning" you seem to be using, life in other galaxies is non-existent. And putting the goal post back to where I had it. Extraterrestrial life, by similar "reasoning" is non-existent - however existent it may be. :lol:

No, it's not non-existent. It's more possible than your reincarnation is. So how do you like them apples? Just because it hasn't been found yet, it doesn't mean it isn't there. I can hear the smartarse comments whirling around in your head "hmmmm let's see how I can sneak god into that argument..."

However, life on this planet existing after death on this planet, does not exist, therefore I dismiss it.

Yes, I know, we've already seen how head in the sand type reasoning works.

Allow me to inform you, ostriches do not put their heads in the sand to hide from reality. So your analogy falls flat right there.
They lay low to disguise themselves from predators to blend into the desert sand they don't actually bury their heads. (I know this because I recently visited a breeding farm). Also the male ostrich messes around with helping to look after the eggs, so ignorant people seeing this thought they were trying to bury their heads. :roll:
http://www.livescience.com/33196-why-do-ostriches-bury-heads-in-sand.html

I don't recall saying anything about ostriches. When did ostriches enter the discussion? I had something more like this in mind:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lq18_9uY8es

Please show me some evidence for life after death, otherwise, accept that you are going to stay dead after you die, and get over it.

Don't move the goalposts to make your point, stick to the subject at hand. I repeat this thread is not about the possibility or otherwise of life in another galaxy, it's about your claim that words that you want redefined such as "evidence." You want us to allow you to call some nonsense test for the supernatural like "anecdote" evidence for the existence of that supernatural. We are not talking about people claiming to have been raped by aliens. :roll: We're talking about people who claim they've been raped by God (either mentally or physically).

I don't recall saying anything about another galaxy. And I don't recall a discussion about people who claimed they were raped by God. Are you sure you're posting in the right thread?

So your virgin mother of god didn't get pregnant by some divine intervention, therefore your junior god, aka god the father in another guise, is just a lie? Or did Mary get raped by God? You tell me. :roll:[/quote]
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1083  Postby John Platko » Jun 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Platko wrote:
Well you provide a link to a study, like Hackenslash did, and I'll be happy to critique it, like I did for Hackenslash. As I recall, by the time I was done, Hackenslash agreed the study Hackenslash linked to wasn't very good.

Yeah, you really straighten Hack out.

Well to be fair, I don't think it was one of his best moments. Perhaps he didn't expect me to actually read the link. :snooty:

Hackenslash wrote:
No, the study was flawed because it was studying something predicated on the existence of a preposterous magical entity extracted from the recta of pre-scientific, ignorant bronze-age goat-roasters who couldn't tell their arses from their elbows.

I hope that clears things up.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1084  Postby ADParker » Jun 17, 2014 12:21 am

John Platko wrote:
ADParker wrote:
John Platko wrote:2) There's no reason to believe that prayers, if they are answered, are answered in any kind on predictable and/or repeatable way. And even if they are, there's no reason to believe that a scientific study would have access to all the variables required for an accurate prediction.

More irrelevance!
Your contention was about the ability to count the results, not what the results could mean or how the cold be interpreted.

Obviously one can count a natural state change like going from a state where modern medicine detects an illness to a state where modern medicine detects no illness. That is the role of the medical board at Lourdes, to determine if such a state change has occurred along with determining if there is a medical explanation for the state change. However scientific methods are unable to count when the supernatural plays any role in such a state change. For that kind of counting another process is needed. Someone(s) must weigh all available evidence, similar to a juror/jury in a trial, and make a judgment if the state change from potentially cured to actually cured was the handiwork of the supernatural.

On the topic of the study however: Your claim here is still ridiculous, because like so many you can't seem to be bothered to grasp what the study was testing for in the first place: The study was a test of a claim; that a certain action has a certain predictable result, that praying to god X in this particular way get these certain results (like the claim that if one prays in this way one will get what they pray for). Now; you (and all of those apologists) can blather on about how "that's not how prayer works!" and "you shouldn't expect results like that" blah blah blah. But that is entirely beside the point, as the study was about testing for those results, nothing more, nothing less. :roll:

The study was about testing what effect prayer had on results. However, there was no control group, i.e. no group that didn't have prayer in their corner. Furthermore, there was no control on who was prayed for and who was not prayed for. It would be like studying the effect of a certain pill on an illness with no control of who did and who did not receive the pill or how many pills they received! Therefore, the study was bogus.

If you can't keep to a single topic at any one time then there really is no point in arguing or even talking with you is there? :nono:

When I argue against your claim that; there's no reason to believe that prayers, if they are answered, are answered in any kind on predictable and/or repeatable way, you 'counter' by arguing against the methodology of the groups in the study instead?! :crazy: This is like that Gish Gallop crap; where the apologist throws out some many stupid little claims, and then 'argues' by the dishonest means of ignoring what has been argued against and jumping to any topic not yet addressed, and claiming some sort of victory because those ones haven't been challenged.

"a, b c and ....x, y and z are bogus!
"Here's why a is not at all bogus.........."
"Like I said; b is bogus, and you haven't offered any argument against that!"
"{Sigh} and here is why b is not bogus......"
"But it is bogus because look; c, d and e are bogus!"
:nono:

John Platko wrote:

It's like if a study gets negative results in a study to see if pouring cold water onto sheets of paper makes it catch on fire, and people complaining that the study was flawed because combustion doesn't work like that! :doh:
The reason MOST people got so upset of course is because they got it into their heads, contrary to all of the facts, that the negative result had something to do with the actual existence of their cherished believed in god. With my analogy one could imagine some people getting all upset because deep down they think the negative result is a challenge to their belief in the existence of fire or something daft like that. :lol:

Negative results? There's simply no reason to believe that the people who showed the best signs of recovery didn't have more prayers working for them. What part of, there was no control on who was prayed for, do you not understand?

Yes John Platko; negative results. The study reported negative results. :roll: How hard is that for you to grasp, seriously?! They reported no detection of the prayers having any discernible effect (besides a relatively minor increase in complications for those who knew they were being prayed for.)

But of course that is beside the point:
Because the negative results I noted here had nothing to do with that prayer study at all! I was all too clearly talking about a hypothetical :lol: :doh:
You are more and more showing signs of having a serious issue with comprehension here. Rather in line with those apologists who can't set their cherished beliefs aside even long enough to recognize that not everything is about that, to the point that some act as if one has attacked their god and their very soul by pointing out a trivial math error. :doh:

John Platko wrote:

It's because some people have a strong persecution complex about certain cherished beliefs (the cherishing of those beliefs and the persecution complex and excessive defensiveness of the beliefs being largely indoctrinated into them I strongly suspect) resulting in them leaping to interpretations of those beliefs being under attack regardless of the facts of the situation. :nono:

We don't need to speculate on psychological reasons why some may or may not like the study. We have the facts of the study. There was no control over who received prayers. And it's hard to imagine an ethical medical study which warns family and friends, "You're loved one has volunteered for a medical study, this study will evaluate the effects of prayer on recovery. Please refrain from praying that you loved one recovers. Thank you, the medical staff."

That might almost have been relevant if I had been talking about that prayer study John Platko. :nono:

John Platko wrote:

John Platko wrote:3) If such a study could be done and the cause effect relationship of prayer to healing could be modeled then it would have been a classification error to consider healing caused by prayer supernatural.

What the Hel are you on about?!
Again this has nothing to do with your own contention. :roll:

No; what positive results would show (and you can bet your arse apologists and 'believers' would be jumping up and down trumpeting it all over the place if it had!) is a correlation between the actions (prayers) and the results (whatever was being prayed for.) And that would provide grounds for further studies being warranted. There is always a cost/benefit measure to such things; there is little point in studying something until there is some indication that there is something there to study.
Those future studies might involve:
1. More studies to confirm, or otherwise, that the correlation actually exists.
2. Studies to try to determine what the causation(s) might be. Including studies to try to verify/discount particular possible causes.

:nono: hackenslash never thought it was that good. but you go on thinking that it was your 'brilliant; critique that convinced him. Not that you seem to need any further encouragement to be oh so impressed with yourself. :roll:

I would provide a study for you...except that you know; that would have nothing to do with what I said. :nono:
How about a silly picture instead?

John Platko wrote:I'm now saying what I've been saying. Doing science to explain the supernatural is :crazy: (Not to be confused with doing science to fix supernatural classification errors.)

The pointless stupidity in what you are saying is manifest in the first six words: "Doing science to explain the supernatural."

Science, nor reasoning, nor any of it, tries to "explain the supernatural"; they try to explain observed phenomena. "The supernatural" is what people make up as some kind of bullshit answer (some erroneously claim it as an explanation.)

What you are saying is like claiming that scientists are trying to explain Dark energy. No they bloody well are not; they are trying to explain the phenomena which has led them to offer "dark energy" as the placeholder label for whatever it is hopefully turns out to be the explanation.

In other words "explain the supernatural" is an idiotic term. For a start it presumes that "the supernatural" is real. :roll:

John Platko wrote:
{Sigh} if you can't even be bothered to address responses to your own claims properly then you are just wasting everyone's time, including your own.
"
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1085  Postby lyingcheat » Jun 17, 2014 1:46 am

If praying to a god worked you wouldn't need to do any tests. The effect would be obvious, not only as to the efficacy of prayer, but which god thing was online, after every natural disaster.

But the apparent fact is, no god thing seems to be listening to all those innocent children fervently praying night after night to keep their family safe and protect them from danger. No god thing seems to give a toss for anything the holy sacred officials pray for either.

The churches collapse during earthquakes just like every other building, sometimes with fervently praying devotees inside. Likewise, churches get blown away in hurricanes and washed away in floods in entirely unsurprising numbers.

People of this, or that, faith seem to die in natural disasters in numbers that reflect their proportion in the community.

Why is that?

(cue post-hoc rationalisations using 'supernatural logic' to support 'supernatural reasons' for 'supernatural mystery')

> Insert Witty Signature Phrase Here <
lyingcheat

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1086  Postby John Platko » Jun 17, 2014 2:20 am

ADParker wrote:
John Platko wrote:
ADParker wrote:
John Platko wrote:2) There's no reason to believe that prayers, if they are answered, are answered in any kind on predictable and/or repeatable way. And even if they are, there's no reason to believe that a scientific study would have access to all the variables required for an accurate prediction.

More irrelevance!
Your contention was about the ability to count the results, not what the results could mean or how the cold be interpreted.

Obviously one can count a natural state change like going from a state where modern medicine detects an illness to a state where modern medicine detects no illness. That is the role of the medical board at Lourdes, to determine if such a state change has occurred along with determining if there is a medical explanation for the state change. However scientific methods are unable to count when the supernatural plays any role in such a state change. For that kind of counting another process is needed. Someone(s) must weigh all available evidence, similar to a juror/jury in a trial, and make a judgment if the state change from potentially cured to actually cured was the handiwork of the supernatural.

On the topic of the study however: Your claim here is still ridiculous, because like so many you can't seem to be bothered to grasp what the study was testing for in the first place: The study was a test of a claim; that a certain action has a certain predictable result, that praying to god X in this particular way get these certain results (like the claim that if one prays in this way one will get what they pray for). Now; you (and all of those apologists) can blather on about how "that's not how prayer works!" and "you shouldn't expect results like that" blah blah blah. But that is entirely beside the point, as the study was about testing for those results, nothing more, nothing less. :roll:

The study was about testing what effect prayer had on results. However, there was no control group, i.e. no group that didn't have prayer in their corner. Furthermore, there was no control on who was prayed for and who was not prayed for. It would be like studying the effect of a certain pill on an illness with no control of who did and who did not receive the pill or how many pills they received! Therefore, the study was bogus.

If you can't keep to a single topic at any one time then there really is no point in arguing or even talking with you is there? :nono:

When I argue against your claim that; there's no reason to believe that prayers, if they are answered, are answered in any kind on predictable and/or repeatable way, you 'counter' by arguing against the methodology of the groups in the study instead?! :crazy:

What evidence did you present that prayers, if they are answered, are answered in any kind of predictable and/or repeatable way?

This is like that Gish Gallop crap; where the apologist throws out some many stupid little claims, and then 'argues' by the dishonest means of ignoring what has been argued against and jumping to any topic not yet addressed, and claiming some sort of victory because those ones haven't been challenged.

John Platko wrote:

It's like if a study gets negative results in a study to see if pouring cold water onto sheets of paper makes it catch on fire, and people complaining that the study was flawed because combustion doesn't work like that! :doh:
The reason MOST people got so upset of course is because they got it into their heads, contrary to all of the facts, that the negative result had something to do with the actual existence of their cherished believed in god. With my analogy one could imagine some people getting all upset because deep down they think the negative result is a challenge to their belief in the existence of fire or something daft like that. :lol:

Negative results? There's simply no reason to believe that the people who showed the best signs of recovery didn't have more prayers working for them. What part of, there was no control on who was prayed for, do you not understand?

Yes John Platko; negative results. The study reported negative results. :roll: How hard is that for you to grasp, seriously?! They reported no detection of the prayers having any discernible effect (besides a relatively minor increase in complications for those who knew they were being prayed for.)

But the study was bogus because they had no real idea which patients actually had people praying for them and which did not - if any? This is a very important point. The study had no control of who received prayers and who did not. Did you actually read the study?

Because the negative results I noted here had nothing to do with that prayer study at all! I was all too clearly talking about a hypothetical :lol: :doh:

I'm sorry but I didn't deem your pray to turn blue hypothetical worthy of my time. :nono:
Provide evidence that some god responds to such prayers and I'll reconsider.

So i focused on other aspects of the discussion.

You are more and more showing signs of having a serious issue with comprehension here. Rather in line with those apologists who can't set their cherished beliefs aside even long enough to recognize that not everything is about that, to the point that some act as if one has attacked their god and their very soul by pointing out a trivial math error. :doh:

John Platko wrote:

It's because some people have a strong persecution complex about certain cherished beliefs (the cherishing of those beliefs and the persecution complex and excessive defensiveness of the beliefs being largely indoctrinated into them I strongly suspect) resulting in them leaping to interpretations of those beliefs being under attack regardless of the facts of the situation. :nono:

We don't need to speculate on psychological reasons why some may or may not like the study. We have the facts of the study. There was no control over who received prayers. And it's hard to imagine an ethical medical study which warns family and friends, "You're loved one has volunteered for a medical study, this study will evaluate the effects of prayer on recovery. Please refrain from praying that you loved one recovers. Thank you, the medical staff."

That might almost have been relevant if I had been talking about that prayer study John Platko. :nono:

John Platko wrote:

John Platko wrote:3) If such a study could be done and the cause effect relationship of prayer to healing could be modeled then it would have been a classification error to consider healing caused by prayer supernatural.

What the Hel are you on about?!
Again this has nothing to do with your own contention. :roll:

No; what positive results would show (and you can bet your arse apologists and 'believers' would be jumping up and down trumpeting it all over the place if it had!) is a correlation between the actions (prayers) and the results (whatever was being prayed for.) And that would provide grounds for further studies being warranted. There is always a cost/benefit measure to such things; there is little point in studying something until there is some indication that there is something there to study.
Those future studies might involve:
1. More studies to confirm, or otherwise, that the correlation actually exists.
2. Studies to try to determine what the causation(s) might be. Including studies to try to verify/discount particular possible causes.

:nono: hackenslash never thought it was that good. but you go on thinking that it was your 'brilliant; critique that convinced him. Not that you seem to need any further encouragement to be oh so impressed with yourself. :roll:

I would provide a study for you...except that you know; that would have nothing to do with what I said. :nono:
How about a silly picture instead?

John Platko wrote:I'm now saying what I've been saying. Doing science to explain the supernatural is :crazy: (Not to be confused with doing science to fix supernatural classification errors.)

The pointless stupidity in what you are saying is manifest in the first six words: "Doing science to explain the supernatural."

Science, nor reasoning, nor any of it, tries to "explain the supernatural"; they try to explain observed phenomena. "The supernatural" is what people make up as some kind of bullshit answer (some erroneously claim it as an explanation.)

What you are saying is like claiming that scientists are trying to explain Dark energy. No they bloody well are not; they are trying to explain the phenomena which has led them to offer "dark energy" as the placeholder label for whatever it is hopefully turns out to be the explanation.

In other words "explain the supernatural" is an idiotic term. For a start it presumes that "the supernatural" is real. :roll:

John Platko wrote:
{Sigh} if you can't even be bothered to address responses to your own claims properly then you are just wasting everyone's time, including your own.
"

I didn't find anything else you posted there worthy of my time either.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1087  Postby John Platko » Jun 17, 2014 2:37 am

lyingcheat wrote:If praying to a god worked you wouldn't need to do any tests. The effect would be obvious, not only as to the efficacy of prayer, but which god thing was online, after every natural disaster.

That statement has built in assumptions about what types of prayers are answered and what type of effectivity is acceptable.
But different people pray in different ways and for different kinds of answers with a wide range of effectivity that is deemed reasonable to them.

But the apparent fact is, no god thing seems to be listening to all those innocent children fervently praying night after night to keep their family safe and protect them from danger. No god thing seems to give a toss for anything the holy sacred officials pray for either.

That's not the impression God leaves me with. I imagine God cares a great deal and I can't imagine that God doesn't listen to those prayers.

The churches collapse during earthquakes just like every other building, sometimes with fervently praying devotees inside. Likewise, churches get blown away in hurricanes and washed away in floods in entirely unsurprising numbers.

People of this, or that, faith seem to die in natural disasters in numbers that reflect their proportion in the community.

Why is that?

I imagine God is powerful but not all powerful and simply can't prevent such pain.

(cue post-hoc rationalisations using 'supernatural logic' to support 'supernatural reasons' for 'supernatural mystery')

I prefer a more natural flavor God, limited as my God may be, the universe is still pretty awesome. :thumbup:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1088  Postby Agrippina » Jun 17, 2014 7:18 am

Argh! I can't be bothered. People say stuff then when you ask them about that stuff, but using other words they say "but I didn't say that!" What's the point? :roll:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#1089  Postby ADParker » Jun 17, 2014 7:55 am

John Platko wrote:
ADParker wrote:

When I argue against your claim that; there's no reason to believe that prayers, if they are answered, are answered in any kind on predictable and/or repeatable way, you 'counter' by arguing against the methodology of the groups in the study instead?! :crazy:

What evidence did you present that prayers, if they are answered, are answered in any kind of predictable and/or repeatable way?

:what:

What evidence did you present that the world is a flat disc supported by four great elephants atop a giant space turtle?
It's about as relevant. :nono:

BECAUSE I argued against your claim in that my argument was that your claim was irrelevant. :roll:

John Platko wrote:

This is like that Gish Gallop crap; where the apologist throws out some many stupid little claims, and then 'argues' by the dishonest means of ignoring what has been argued against and jumping to any topic not yet addressed, and claiming some sort of victory because those ones haven't been challenged.

John Platko wrote:

But the study was bogus because they had no real idea which patients actually had people praying for them and which did not - if any? This is a very important point. The study had no control of who received prayers and who did not. Did you actually read the study?

Yes I read the study. Ages ago. Your ranting about the methodology is entirely irrelevant to my point about the results being negative. BECAUSE I DIDN'T EVEN BEGIN TO MENTION THE ACTUAL VALUE AND WORTH OF THOSE RESULTS. :nono:

John Platko wrote:

I'm sorry but I didn't deem your pray to turn blue hypothetical worthy of my time. :nono:

Oh...in that case:

You are so laughably wrong; Marvel Comics characters are much better than DC ones.

John Platko wrote:I didn't find anything else you posted there worthy of my time either.

And I didn't find anything you posted there worthy of my time, period.
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1090  Postby BlackBart » Jun 17, 2014 7:58 am

So, the God of John's imagination is incompetent. Useful to know. :teef:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1091  Postby John Platko » Jun 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Agrippina wrote:Argh! I can't be bothered. People say stuff then when you ask them about that stuff, but using other words they say "but I didn't say that!" What's the point? :roll:

Perhaps they want a discusion to continue along the path of things they actually said and not things people imagined they said. Sounds reasonable to me.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1092  Postby John Platko » Jun 17, 2014 1:28 pm

ADParker wrote:
John Platko wrote:
ADParker wrote:

:what:

What evidence did you present that the world is a flat disc supported by four great elephants atop a giant space turtle?

:scratch: why would I present evidence for something like that?

It's about as relevant. :nono:

BECAUSE I argued against your claim in that my argument was that your claim was irrelevant. :roll:

With some silly straw man pray to be blue? :naughty:

John Platko wrote:

John Platko wrote:

Yes I read the study. Ages ago. Your ranting about the methodology is entirely irrelevant to my point about the results being negative. BECAUSE I DIDN'T EVEN BEGIN TO MENTION THE ACTUAL VALUE AND WORTH OF THOSE RESULTS. :nono:

Being a practical scientific type, I like to cut to the chase and discuss the actual value and worth of the results of a study by discussing how the study was done. What else is worth discussing about it?

John Platko wrote:

Oh...in that case:

You are so laughably wrong; Marvel Comics characters are much better than DC ones.

John Platko wrote:I didn't find anything else you posted there worthy of my time either.

And I didn't find anything you posted there worthy of my time, period.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1093  Postby John Platko » Jun 17, 2014 1:31 pm

BlackBart wrote:So, the God of John's imagination is incompetent. Useful to know. :teef:

Well I did read that I was created in his image somewhere! So I just imagine ...
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1094  Postby Agrippina » Jun 17, 2014 1:36 pm

John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:Argh! I can't be bothered. People say stuff then when you ask them about that stuff, but using other words they say "but I didn't say that!" What's the point? :roll:

Perhaps they want a discusion to continue along the path of things they actually said and not things people imagined they said. Sounds reasonable to me.

Here you go, join this discussion, you might be able to give the answer to the question asked in the OP.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#1095  Postby ADParker » Jun 17, 2014 9:31 pm

John Platko wrote:

You should really take the time you learn what terms like "Straw man " means before making accusations like that, it might save you from sounding like an idiot.
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1096  Postby Meme » Jun 18, 2014 2:27 am

I almost can’t believe this is still going on.

After reading the last 15 or so pages of the thread, I’ve come up with an analogy, if you’ll indulge me.

John here is like a man on a nice calm lake, in a rowing boat with just a single oar.

He takes the oar and heaves it through the water. Motion is produced. The boat goes forward.

Encouraged by this success, he continues to use the oar, paddling furiously but only on one side of the boat. Indeed, he insists that he can only use the oar on that side.

He believes that he’s getting somewhere. As he furiously crashes the oar through the water, there is progress, of a sort. The scenery changes and the boat appears to go forward and little waves are made.

However, it’s apparent to the rest of us, watching from the shore, or possibly our own little boats, that John is desperately pushing himself through ever decreasing circles. The harder he paddles, the tighter the spirals get.

My fear is that eventually he paddles in a circle so fast that he ends up staring at himself in the back of the head.
Meme

Name: Simon

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1097  Postby John Platko » Jun 18, 2014 2:55 am

ADParker wrote:
John Platko wrote:

You should really take the time you learn what terms like "Straw man " means before making accusations like that, it might save you from sounding like an idiot.

You should really take the time to learn what a ? means before making an accusation like that.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1098  Postby John Platko » Jun 18, 2014 3:14 am

Meme wrote:I almost can’t believe this is still going on.

After reading the last 15 or so pages of the thread, I’ve come up with an analogy, if you’ll indulge me.

John here is like a man on a nice calm lake, in a rowing boat with just a single oar.

He takes the oar and heaves it through the water. Motion is produced. The boat goes forward.

Encouraged by this success, he continues to use the oar, paddling furiously but only on one side of the boat. Indeed, he insists that he can only use the oar on that side.

He believes that he’s getting somewhere. As he furiously crashes the oar through the water, there is progress, of a sort. The scenery changes and the boat appears to go forward and little waves are made.

However, it’s apparent to the rest of us, watching from the shore, or possibly our own little boats, that John is desperately pushing himself through ever decreasing circles. The harder he paddles, the tighter the spirals get.

My fear is that eventually he paddles in a circle so fast that he ends up staring at himself in the back of the head.

:scratch: Could that really happen? Apparently you think it can. :lol:

You're right about one thing though, I like to keep my oar where I can forcola.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1099  Postby ADParker » Jun 18, 2014 6:03 am

Have a nice life believing in your imaginary friend John.
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1100  Postby Agrippina » Jun 18, 2014 6:03 am

The trouble is you aren't bloody using the thing (forcola), you're just going around in circles.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism