Origin of homophobia

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Origin of homophobia

#141  Postby scott1328 » Jun 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Animavore wrote:
mrjonno wrote:
Animavore wrote:Hell I cringe when I see heterosexual people kiss.

Don't think homophobia is any more complicated than that, i'm sure if heterosexuals were a minority they would be victims for the same reasons gay people

I just realised that comment might make it sound like I'm gay. I'm not. I just think people should get a room!

It makes me wonder why you felt the need to put the disclaimer in. I think anyone on the forum already knows your orientation, and it is unlikely that anyone who does not know you would care if you are. Your orientation only matters if you are seeking to shag someone, or someone is seeking to shag you.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#142  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2013 8:13 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Animavore wrote:
mrjonno wrote:
Animavore wrote:Hell I cringe when I see heterosexual people kiss.

Don't think homophobia is any more complicated than that, i'm sure if heterosexuals were a minority they would be victims for the same reasons gay people

I just realised that comment might make it sound like I'm gay. I'm not. I just think people should get a room!

It makes me wonder why you felt the need to put the disclaimer in. I think anyone on the forum already knows your orientation, and it is unlikely that anyone who does not know you would care if you are. Your orientation only matters if you are seeking to shag someone, or someone is seeking to shag you.

:this: x100!
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Animavore » Jun 10, 2013 8:15 pm

To clarify, I meant it might make it sound like I'm gay because the previous comment said that many men would cringe at two men kissing and I said I cringe at heterosexual couples kiss so it might be construed that I was a gay person replying that I feel like that too about straight people.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#144  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Animavore wrote:To clarify, I meant it might make it sound like I'm gay because the previous comment said that many men would cringe at two men kissing and I said I cringe at heterosexual couples kiss so it might be construed that I was a gay person replying that I feel like that too about straight people.

I interpeted it as that you're already creeped out by heterosexual people, the implication that homosexual couples kissing carries an extra hurdle as it's a different orientation than yours. If you catch my drift.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#145  Postby Animavore » Jun 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Animavore wrote:To clarify, I meant it might make it sound like I'm gay because the previous comment said that many men would cringe at two men kissing and I said I cringe at heterosexual couples kiss so it might be construed that I was a gay person replying that I feel like that too about straight people.

I interpeted it as that you're already creeped out by heterosexual people, the implication that homosexual couples kissing carries an extra hurdle as it's a different orientation than yours. If you catch my drift.

No. I just meant that I cringe at people kissing whether straight or gay, equally.

My mother never hugged me :)
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Animavore wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Not liking PDAs doesn't make you sound like you're gay, not unless the listener is rather unintelligent.
There are people on all parts of the spectrum who don't like PDAs, regardless of the genders involved.

Personal digital assistants? :?

Public Displays of Affection.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Animavore wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

No. I just meant that I cringe at people kissing whether straight or gay, equally.

I get it.

Animavore wrote:My mother never hugged me :)

Aww. :hug: (or does that make you cringe as well ;) )
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#148  Postby scott1328 » Jun 10, 2013 8:23 pm

@Animavore, I mean this in no way as a criticism of you and I don't believe you are homophobic.

The disclaimer of homosexuality is virtually de rigueur whenever a straight guy announces support for gay rights, or same sex marriage.

the disclosure of sexuality is *never* necessary when a gay man makes a statement about gay rights or same sex marriage.

This asymmetry is the key to the discussion of homophobia.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm

scott1328 wrote:

@Animavore, I mean this in no way as a criticism of you and I don't believe you are homophobic.

The disclaimer of homosexuality is virtually de rigueur whenever a straight guy announces support for gay rights, or same sex marriage.

the disclosure of sexuality is *never* necessary when a gay man makes a statement about gay rights or same sex marriage.

Probably my lacking grasp of the English language, but I'm not quite getting what you're trying to say.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#150  Postby Animavore » Jun 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Not liking PDAs doesn't make you sound like you're gay, not unless the listener is rather unintelligent.
There are people on all parts of the spectrum who don't like PDAs, regardless of the genders involved.

Ah.

Yeah, we didn't really go in for all that in my house, hugs and kisses and stuff.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Animavore » Jun 10, 2013 8:26 pm

scott1328 wrote:

You're taking it too seriously. My comment was said light-heartedly. I guess it didn't come through in the writing :(
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Animavore wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Ah.

Yeah, we didn't really go in for all that in my house, hugs and kisses and stuff.

Quite the opposite for me. I still ocasionally kiss my parents goodnight.
In the end it's all a matter of taste. I know someone who was raised in just as an affectionate family as mine, but despises PDAs.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#153  Postby Animavore » Jun 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Ah.

Quite the opposite for me. I still ocasionally kiss my parents goodnight.
In the end it's all a matter of taste. I know someone who was raised in just as an affectionate family as mine, but despises PDAs.

If my ma went to kiss me I don't know what I'd do :?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#154  Postby scott1328 » Jun 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

Probably my lacking grasp of the English language, but I'm not quite getting what you're trying to say.

@Thomas, think about how many times you've seen a straight actor playing a role as a gay man and how it is *ALWAYS* mentioned that the actor is straight

Now, think about how many times you've seen a straight actor playing a role as a straight man and how it is *never* mentioned that the actor is straight.

Now think about how many times you've seen a gay actor playing a role as a straight man and how it is "always* mentioned if the actor is out, and never mentioned if the actor is not out.

Now think about how many times you've seen a gay actor playing a role as a gay man and hot it is *never* mentioned that the actor is gay.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#155  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2013 8:32 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

@Thomas, think about how many times you've seen a straight actor playing a role as a gay man and how it is *ALWAYS* mentioned that the actor is straight

Now, think about how many times you've seen a straight actor playing a role as a straight man and how it is *never* mentioned that the actor is straight.

Now think about how many times you've seen a gay actor playing a role as a straight man and how it is "always* mentioned if the actor is out, and never mentioned if the actor is not out.

Now think about how many times you've seen a gay actor playing a role as a gay man and hot it is *never* mentioned that the actor is gay.

I see. Yes I agree with you this should really change, but as long as the whole LGBT thing is still as controversial as it is now, I don't see that happening soon sadly.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#156  Postby Byron » Jun 11, 2013 7:01 am

mrjonno wrote:Lets jump in here :)
Homophobia is the irrational fear of something that I suspect many if not most heterosexual people find unpleasant.

I don't think its unusual quite possibly for biological reasons to find homosexual acts unpleasant, most heterosexual men would cringe if another man tried to kiss them. However the rational and humanist response is as long as it doesn't affect you or non-consenting people its really none of my business.

So basically homophobia is just an example of people being thick stupid illiberal bigots, there is nothing particularly scientific to study. Religion disgusts me bit as much as homosexuality disgusts homophobes the difference is I don't go around punching christains

If homophobia was as simple as an instinctive dislike of certain sex acts, you'd expect it to be constant across societies and demographics. The fact that it varies wildly by society and generation suggests it's more complicated. So yes, there is something to study.

And if it was a biological imperative, it's hard to justify calling people who feel it "think stupid illiberal bigots," unless they chose to act on their feelings. Or did you mean homophobic actions?
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#157  Postby mrjonno » Jun 11, 2013 9:03 am

If homophobia was as simple as an instinctive dislike of certain sex acts, you'd expect it to be constant across societies and demographics. The fact that it varies wildly by society and generation suggests it's more complicated. So yes, there is something to study.

Homophobia doesn't exist in liberal parts of society, that's the definition of liberal tolerate (not necessary respectful) of the behaviour and ideas that are different to one themselves but do not affect you. However the dislike of homosexual sex acts I suspect its extremely common but that's a different matter

And if it was a biological imperative, it's hard to justify calling people who feel it "think stupid illiberal bigots," unless they chose to act on their feelings. Or did you mean homophobic actions?

I have no problems in calling people morons who can't use the higher functions of their brains to overcome acting on their instincts.

Hating people who are different to yourself is pretty natural but since when is natural right?, human beings can do better than that
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#158  Postby purplerat » Jun 11, 2013 9:02 pm

scott1328 wrote:

I don't quite get why this is a problem, particularly if sexuality is a key part of the role. Similarly if a British actor does a role as an American (w/accent) or an American as a Brit that would be noted. But if an American plays an American or a Brit a Brit then it's not noted.

Also I think the degree to which actors playing roles with sexual orientations other than their own is noted has lessened quite a bit in recent years. It's really only more than a minor footnote to the role if it's a previously little or unknown actor getting noticed for the first time. A well established actor playing such a role really isn't that notable anymore.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#159  Postby scott1328 » Jun 11, 2013 10:23 pm

purplerat wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

I don't quite get why this is a problem, particularly if sexuality is a key part of the role. Similarly if a British actor does a role as an American (w/accent) or an American as a Brit that would be noted. But if an American plays an American or a Brit a Brit then it's not noted.

Also I think the degree to which actors playing roles with sexual orientations other than their own is noted has lessened quite a bit in recent years. It's really only more than a minor footnote to the role if it's a previously little or unknown actor getting noticed for the first time. A well established actor playing such a role really isn't that notable anymore.

It is the asymmetry that is the problem. Your accent example doesn't reflect the asymmetry. If an American affects a British accent, it is commented upon. If a Briton affects an American accent,it is commented upon.

And this rush to disclaim homosexuality is very asymmetrical. You would wait a long time for a gay man to correct someone's misapprehension of his sexuality. But, even the most liberal, open minded straight man will quickly correct someone he suspects might think he is gay. Animavore's recent post demonstrates this. And his most recent warning in this thread demonstrates that he is no slouch in coming down hard on homophobes.

Is this a problem? I don't know.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#160  Postby purplerat » Jun 11, 2013 11:10 pm

scott1328 wrote:
purplerat wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

It is the asymmetry that is the problem. Your accent example doesn't reflect the asymmetry. If an American affects a British accent, it is commented upon. If a Briton affects an American accent,it is commented upon.

And this rush to disclaim homosexuality is very asymmetrical. You would wait a long time for a gay man to correct someone's misapprehension of his sexuality. But, even the most liberal, open minded straight man will quickly correct someone he suspects might think he is gay. Animavore's recent post demonstrates this. And his most recent warning in this thread demonstrates that he is no slouch in coming down hard on homophobes.

Is this a problem? I don't know.

I guess I'm missing the asymmetry in your example.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there not symmetry above and below the line I added to your example?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism