The Faith Trap by Richard Dawkins in The Washington Post

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Faith Trap by Richard Dawkins in The Washington Post

#21  Postby MattHunX » Mar 24, 2010 3:26 pm

amyonyango wrote:
My mother in law is a classic example of someone so entrenched within a life of christianity that to question anything to do with her religion or faith is seen as the work of the devil.

Before I realised the depths of her belief I asked her what she thought of evolution.
"Amy!" I am CHRISTIAN! I believe in the BIBLE! Do you think we are all here by CHANCE?"

The look in her eyes was quite frightening, actually. I didn't persue the conversation. She's too far gone.

Well, I suppose with old people that's generally the case. Old ways, old views, old beliefs. :dunno:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#22  Postby amyonyango » Mar 24, 2010 4:14 pm

MattHunX wrote:
amyonyango wrote:
My mother in law is a classic example of someone so entrenched within a life of christianity that to question anything to do with her religion or faith is seen as the work of the devil.

Before I realised the depths of her belief I asked her what she thought of evolution.
"Amy!" I am CHRISTIAN! I believe in the BIBLE! Do you think we are all here by CHANCE?"

The look in her eyes was quite frightening, actually. I didn't persue the conversation. She's too far gone.

Well, I suppose with old people that's generally the case. Old ways, old views, old beliefs. :dunno:

Yes, I can understand why she's like that - it's everything she's known for her whole life. But now she's on the phone every week telling me about the importance of taking the kids to church. I can't argue with her, it's complicated as Kenyan culture doesn't take too kindly to people who a) are "disrespectful" to a religious person or b) "disrespectful" to their parents/in-laws (same thing in Kenya. I'm as much her daughter as I'm my actual parents' daughter). It's so frustrating because I'm not normally the type of person to be told what to do or think, especially when it comes to what's best for the kids. I tell my mum to "piss off" when she starts nagging - literally. I can't be rude to mum in law as she will potentially disown all of us and I can't justify that.

So far I've said that I find it hard to lead the family in anything religious because it's not something I'm familiar with, but I said I'd go to church :shock:

I don't know what we'll actually do, but one thing's for certain: if we end up in church I'll be teaching my kids that it's just a bunch of stories and that it's not to be taken seriously. I can use the experience to teach them rational, logical and clear thinking! Got to think positive, I was getting really upset about the whole issue, but I think back to when I was a kid and realising for myself that it was a load of crap - it's not that hard to work out!
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Name: Amy
Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#23  Postby DanDare » Mar 25, 2010 8:59 am

amyonyango wrote:
MattHunX wrote:
amyonyango wrote:

Yes, I can understand why she's like that - it's everything she's known for her whole life. But now she's on the phone every week telling me about the importance of taking the kids to church. I can't argue with her, it's complicated as Kenyan culture doesn't take too kindly to people who a) are "disrespectful" to a religious person or b) "disrespectful" to their parents/in-laws (same thing in Kenya. I'm as much her daughter as I'm my actual parents' daughter). It's so frustrating because I'm not normally the type of person to be told what to do or think, especially when it comes to what's best for the kids. I tell my mum to "piss off" when she starts nagging - literally. I can't be rude to mum in law as she will potentially disown all of us and I can't justify that.

So far I've said that I find it hard to lead the family in anything religious because it's not something I'm familiar with, but I said I'd go to church :shock:

I don't know what we'll actually do, but one thing's for certain: if we end up in church I'll be teaching my kids that it's just a bunch of stories and that it's not to be taken seriously. I can use the experience to teach them rational, logical and clear thinking! Got to think positive, I was getting really upset about the whole issue, but I think back to when I was a kid and realising for myself that it was a load of crap - it's not that hard to work out!

Warning! Church can be a brain washing experience. Silent dissent becomes consent. It becomes harder and harder to speak out because of previous silence. Your children may get love bombed.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism