Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Faith Trap by Richard Dawkins in The Washington Post

#1  Postby MattHunX » Mar 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Something 'just in' from the articles section on RD.net

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/5285

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa ... _trap.html

The faith trap

Q:What should pastors do if they no longer hold the defining beliefs of their denomination? Do clergy have a moral obligation not to challenge the sincere faith of their parishioners? If this requires them to dissemble from the pulpit, doesn't this create systematic hypocrisy at the center of religion? What would you want your pastor to do with his or her personal doubts or loss of faith?

At a lunch party I was placed next to a well-known female rabbi, now ennobled. She asked me, somewhat belligerently, whether I said grace when it was my turn to do so at High Table dinner in my Oxford college. "Yes," I replied, "Out of simple good manners and respect for the medieval traditions of my college." She attacked me for hypocrisy, and was not amused when I quoted the great philosopher A J (Freddy) Ayer, who also was quite happy to recite the grace at the same college when he chanced to be Senior Fellow: "I will not utter falsehoods", said Freddy genially, "But I have no objection to making meaningless statements."

Humor was lost on this rabbi, so I tried to see if a serious explanation would go over any better. "To you, Rabbi, imprecations to God are meaningful, and therefore cannot sincerely come from an atheist. To me, 'Benedictus benedicat' is as empty and meaningless as 'Lord love a duck' or 'Stone the crows.' Just as I don't seriously expect anybody to respond to my words by hurling rocks at innocent corvids, so it is a matter of blissful indifference to me whether I invoke the mealtime blessings of a non-existent deity or not. Non-existent is the operative phrase. In the convivial atmosphere of a college dinner, I cheerfully take the road of good manners and refrain from calling ostentatious attention to my unbelief - an unbelief, by the way, which is shared by most of my colleagues, and they too are quite happy to fall in with tradition." Once again, the rabbi didn't get it.

On the face of it, the disillusioned clergymen who form the subject of Dan Dennett's and Linda La Scola's study are less immune to the charge of hypocrisy. They are professionals, who accept a salary for preaching Christianity to a trusting flock. And what is true of atheist clergymen is scarcely less true of those who shelter behind Karen Armstrong-type apophatuousness, or 'ground of all being' obscurantism. That won't wash, for the simple reason that it wouldn't wash with the parishioners. To the trusting congregation, Karen Armstrong would be nothing more than a dishonest atheist, and who could disagree? You can just imagine the shocked bewilderment that would greet a 'ground of all being' theologian, if he tried that on with churchgoers who actually believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, walked on water, and died for their sins.

These dissembling pastors might therefore be accused of betraying a trust when they continue, Sunday after Sunday, to get up in the pulpit and bemuse churchgoers who take seriously the words that the clergyman himself does not - and yet continues to speak. Are they not grievously culpable for deceiving their congregation and accepting a salary for doing so?

No, their personal predicament warrants more sympathy than that. They know no other way of making a living. They stand to lose friends, family, and their respected place in the community, as well as salary and pension. All the more praise to Dan Barker, who had the courage to throw over the whole nonsensical enterprise and jointly found the admirable Freedom from Religion Foundation. But even Dan preached on for a year before taking the plunge.

As Dennett and La Scola mention, one of the things I would consider doing, if my charitable foundation managed to raise enough money, would be to endow retraining scholarships for clergymen who have lost their faith. Perhaps they could retrain as counselors, teachers, policemen - or even join the hallowed profession of carpenter?

The singular predicament of these men (and women) opens yet another window on the uniquely ridiculous nature of religious belief. What other career, apart from that of clergyman, can be so catastrophically ruined by a change of opinion, brought about by reading, say, or conversation? Does a doctor lose faith in medicine and have to resign his practice? Does a farmer lose faith in agriculture and have to give up, not just his farm but his wife and the goodwill of his entire community? In all areas except religion, we believe what we believe as a result of evidence. If new evidence comes in, we may change our beliefs. When decisive evidence for the Big Bang theory of the universe came to hand, astronomers who had previously espoused the Steady State Theory changed their minds: reluctantly in some cases, graciously in others. But the change didn't tear their lives or their marriages apart, did not estrange them from their parents or their children. Only religion has the malign power to do that. Only religion is capable of making a mere change of mind a livelihood-threatening catastrophe, whose very contemplation demands grave courage. Yet another respect in which religion poisons everything.

Love the nod to Hitchens.

Yes, it is sad that many can't leave that life behind from fear of losing friends and family.

But, if they'd abandon the person for their religion, then they aren't true friends and, by blood or not, aren't true family.

The person deserves better, to start a new life without those zealous, pretentious (deep down insecure)and mindless drones.
MattHunX

Print view this post

Re: The Faith Trap by Richard Dawkins in The Washington Post

#2  Postby Shaker » Mar 21, 2010 1:00 am

Richard Dawkins wrote:You can just imagine the shocked bewilderment that would greet a 'ground of all being' theologian, if he tried that on with churchgoers who actually believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, walked on water, and died for their sins.

I love the snark aimed at these professional peddlers of deepity - the "God is the ground of all Being/Being itself/the condition of possibility of anything at all" - and similar garbage.
To be boosted by an illusion is not to live better than to live in harmony with the truth ... these refusals to part with a decayed illusion are really an infection to the mind. - George Santayana
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Will S » Mar 21, 2010 10:07 am

The paper 'Preachers who are not believers' http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa ... Clergy.pdf makes an interesting, but rather sad, read.

However, it looks to me as if the authors have actually selected some extreme examples of what I suspect is a very common phenomenon.

Presumably, even today, most ministers of religion are still theists! Nevertheless, I strongly suspect that the version of Christianity which they present to their congregations may, in many cases, be more orthodox and traditional than the version of Christianity in which they themselves believe. For example, they may announce confidently that Jesus said, or did this or that, whilst recognising that the historicity of the New Testament involves some difficult problems. Or they may publicly pray for sick members of their congregation whilst not really believing that God will intervene to destroy the viruses or bacteria in their bodies. Or, they may speak as if Adam and Eve were a real couple living in a real garden, whilst believing nothing of the kind.

I'd certainly like to see the results of proper research into the real theological beliefs of present day clergy.

I suspect also that the common complaint, 'Dawkins et al. don't know the first thing about theology' is actually a coded way of saying, 'Heavens! The buggers are taking what we say seriously! What are we going to do?'
'To a thinking person, a paradox is what the smell of burning rubber is to an electrical engineer' - Sir Peter Medawar (adapted)
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 21, 2010 10:25 am

These dissembling pastors might therefore be accused of betraying a trust when they continue, Sunday after Sunday, to get up in the pulpit and bemuse churchgoers who take seriously the words that the clergyman himself does not - and yet continues to speak. Are they not grievously culpable for deceiving their congregation and accepting a salary for doing so?

This is rather harsh. Leaving theology aside for the moment, Priests, vicars, and pastors generally do more than climb into a pulpit every Sunday. They also do, er, pastoral work on the other six days. I can understand that a given clergyman or woman might feel that they owe a duty of care for their congregation, which they could not discharge were they simply to resign their posts or admit that they no longer believe.

I'm not defending this. I'm simply saying that there maybe factors - dare I say it, less venial? - other than loss of salary or social status involved in this. Dawkins might at least have nodded in that direction.
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby MattHunX » Mar 21, 2010 10:35 am

Will S wrote:
I suspect also that the common complaint, 'Dawkins et al. don't know the first thing about theology' is actually a coded way of saying, 'Heavens! The buggers are taking what we say seriously! What are we going to do?'

Just the fact that there are literally thousands of different kinds of denominations of christianity alone should make every theist wonder about the credibility of their own. It is such a simple thought-process, even a child can quickly learn to question it. Like Dawkins' own experience,when he said he started questioning the whole thing after learning about the existence of other religions.

Why can't theists see this? And why can't they see the patterns, of how, for example their faith shifts? How the dogma subtly, or sometimes not so subtly, changes. Many evidence which their religion couldn't beat, have always been incorporated into it to be part of the dogma so (most) people wouldn't turn even just a bit skeptical. They're changing the rules and the lore as they see fit to accommodate and compensate for cases made, and evidence presented against it. Even a child, in an elementary school, can discern that it's man-made, self-serving, self-contradicting, immoral and irrational.

Too many theists are just too far gone, too afraid, too insecure to dare and think for themselves and search for anything that would go against their deeply-held childish beliefs. Too afraid to even make that first step. 5/6 of the world! Alarming and frightening. :nono:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Mar 21, 2010 10:50 am

Bart Ehrman discusses in at least a couple of his books how in seminary theology class, the nature of how the bible was put together, the well known serious problems with sources, the mistranslations, the forgeries, the mis-use of the names of the gospels, much more, is taught, is known by all clerics save the fundies and evangelicals. This isn't discussed with the congregation, they are afraid of how it will affect their faith. Well they should be, that should shatter a reasonable mind's faith.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Will S » Mar 21, 2010 11:00 am

MattHunX wrote:Just the fact that there are literally thousands of different kinds of denominations of christianity alone should make every theist wonder about the credibility of their own. It is such a simple thought-process, even a child can quickly learn to question it. Like Dawkins' own experience,when he said he started questioning the whole thing after learning about the existence of other religions.

Why can't theists see this?

I think the horrible truth is that we humans have the most amazing capacity for double-think. Perhaps one of the advantages of having been a Christian is that you may learn this humbling truth about yourself.

For example, when I was an earnest C of E lad, I read a book of Roman Catholic polemic. The earlier parts of the book, which were arguing for theism and Christianity, struck me as very cogent and well-expressed, but, when it started arguing specifically for Roman Catholicism, I immediately began to see all sorts of problems and gaps in the argument.

I should like to be able to say that this experience gave me such a severe jolt that I returned to the earlier parts of the book, and started to see the problems and gaps there too. Only it didn't.

However, to be fair to myself, it did give me a slight jolt, which, along with others, eventually led me to abandon theism. The point is that, for many people, especially those who have been thoroughly indoctrinated, it can be a long, slow process.
'To a thinking person, a paradox is what the smell of burning rubber is to an electrical engineer' - Sir Peter Medawar (adapted)
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby MattHunX » Mar 21, 2010 11:02 am

crank wrote:Bart Ehrman discusses in at least a couple of his books how in seminary theology class, the nature of how the bible was put together, the well known serious problems with sources, the mistranslations, the forgeries, the mis-use of the names of the gospels, much more, is taught, is known by all clerics save the fundies and evangelicals. This isn't discussed with the congregation, they are afraid of how it will affect their faith. Well they should be, that should shatter a reasonable mind's faith.

Well, that's what people like RD, Hitchens, Dennett, Harris, Barker...etc. et al. are for. But, the fundamentalists don't listen to them, because they think it's the devil whispering. And like I said, they could search for these "serious problems with sources, the mistranslations, the forgeries, the mis-use of the names of the gospels" on their own, but if they're not afraid, then they simply say it's atheist propaganda. They even say that about Hitler being a christian, "atheist lies", is what historical fact is to them.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#9  Postby MattHunX » Mar 21, 2010 11:11 am

Will S wrote:
MattHunX wrote:Just the fact that there are literally thousands of different kinds of denominations of christianity alone should make every theist wonder about the credibility of their own. It is such a simple thought-process, even a child can quickly learn to question it. Like Dawkins' own experience,when he said he started questioning the whole thing after learning about the existence of other religions.

Why can't theists see this?

I think the horrible truth is that we humans have the most amazing capacity for double-think. Perhaps one of the advantages of having been a Christian is that you may learn this humbling truth about yourself.

I'm listening to a debate between Hitchens, Craig, Wilson and some other guys...and Orwell's name came up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orwellian

The adjective Orwellian refers to these behaviours of State and The Party, especially when the Party is the State:

*The political manipulation of language, by obfuscation, e.g. WAR IS PEACE. Using language to obfuscate meaning or to reduce and eliminate ideas and their meanings that are deemed dangerous to its authority.

* Invasion of personal privacy, either directly physically or indirectly by surveillance.

* State control of its citizens' daily life, as in a "Big Brother" society.

* Official encouragement of policies contributing to the socio-economic disintegration of the family.

* The substitution of traditional religion[citation needed] with the adoration of state leaders and their Party.

* The encouragement of "doublethink," whereby the population must learn to embrace inconsistent concepts without dissent, e.g. giving up liberty for freedom. Similar terms used, are "doublespeak", and "newspeak"

* The revision of history in the favour of the State's interpretation of it.

* A (generally) dystopian future.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#10  Postby DanDare » Mar 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Paula Kirby wrote:Dan Dennett's and Linda LaScola's excellent study is fascinating - and rather moving - for a number of reasons. It is clear that the pressures and obstacles confronting a pastor who has lost his beliefs are even greater than those facing the rest of us when we need to make a major career change: if the very roof over your family's head belongs to the church for which you no longer feel able to work, the practical difficulties of changing direction are very great indeed. What's more, the church is all-consuming: not just a job, not just a home, but a whole life: it is always hard to make major changes, but how much harder when those changes will entail turning your whole life upside down, losing your closest friends, losing your sense of place in a community. Bad enough for an 'ordinary' churchgoer: how much worse for a pastor. It's terribly hard, and I empathize. I empathize, too, with their desire to persuade themselves that, by staying in their roles, they are somehow contributing to the greater good: it's an all-too human thing to do when leaving is such a daunting prospect.

What's more, I think it genuinely can be argued that these people are doing some good by staying in their posts, if only through the avoidance of harm. Even though, as Dan and Linda's report points out, they are mostly avoiding seriously challenging the most extreme of their parishioners' beliefs, at least they are not reinforcing them. There is no danger of these pastors exhorting their congregations to live their lives in joyful expectation of the Rapture, or to hate atheists or gays; no danger of them abusing young children with monstrous tales of hell, no danger of them opposing the proper teaching of science in their local schools, or exhorting the sick to seek their cure in prayer and repentance rather than the more reliable methods offered by medical science. If all churches simply reinforced people's natural impulses to be good and caring, and offered them a sense of being part of a kindly and supportive community, there would be far less to object to in them.

There remains the question of integrity, and.....

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/paula_kirby/2010/03/ending_the_pretence.html
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Byron » Mar 23, 2010 2:10 pm

crank wrote:Bart Ehrman discusses in at least a couple of his books how in seminary theology class, the nature of how the bible was put together, the well known serious problems with sources, the mistranslations, the forgeries, the mis-use of the names of the gospels, much more, is taught, is known by all clerics save the fundies and evangelicals. This isn't discussed with the congregation, they are afraid of how it will affect their faith.

On the flip side, remember how the shadow-watchers in Plato's cave responded to unbidden offers of enlightenment. Autodidacticism is there if you want it. An afternoon with Google should furnish them with the basics of Biblical criticism, and a few orders off Amazon with a reasonable grounding. Some may need a trigger from a good teacher, but in my experience, many believers don't learn because they don't want to. I should get commission, the number of times I've tried to get people to read critical books. You can't make someone be curious, or make them abandon self-imposed limits on their curiosity.

This is why I sympathise with vicars who bite their doubts, although I've met those who make their doubts known, and admire them for it.
Well they should be, that should shatter a reasonable mind's faith.

Faith is belief without evidence. It might shatter a weak faith (the great, great irony afflicting literalists who're afraid to question scripture) but a faith that doesn't rely on historical facts will remain immune.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Lazar » Mar 23, 2010 3:05 pm

Is it just me or has this study been blow well out of proportion. By the authors own admission it is qualitative work with a self-selected sample of just five people who they had to search through hell and high water to find. It is not even good qualitative research at that. No discussion of analytical methods that I could tell and if ever there was a project screaming out for grounded theory this was it.

I just don't know why every man and his dog is reporting on it. Seems strange is all. :dunno:

Spinozasgalt: "And how come no one ever sigs me?"
Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Byron » Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Lazar wrote:I just don't know why every man and his dog is reporting on it. Seems strange is all. :dunno:

Especially from an Anglican perspective! "Clergy in 'have doubts' shocker." :grin:
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby Lazar » Mar 24, 2010 7:18 am

Byron wrote:
Lazar wrote:I just don't know why every man and his dog is reporting on it. Seems strange is all. :dunno:

Especially from an Anglican perspective! "Clergy in 'have doubts' shocker." :grin:

:grin: yes.

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby byofrcs » Mar 24, 2010 8:03 am

Lazar wrote:Is it just me or has this study been blow well out of proportion. By the authors own admission it is qualitative work with a self-selected sample of just five people who they had to search through hell and high water to find. It is not even good qualitative research at that. No discussion of analytical methods that I could tell and if ever there was a project screaming out for grounded theory this was it.

I just don't know why every man and his dog is reporting on it. Seems strange is all. :dunno:

This is not a scientific paper and God is not a bicycle. These are more like case studies of addicts rather than a measure of the penetration of drugs in society.

The last paragraph of the article is key. Good societies address drug abuse through seeing the victim as a person and helping their addiction not seeing them as a criminal and institutionalising them.

Secular society should be able to rehabilitate the clergy. I'm perfectly happy to pay for this in the same way I support drug rehabilitation program and decriminalising drugs. Human rights legislation has pretty well removed the criminal aspects of belief (in Western society at least though certain beliefs are still illegal in other countries) but we still have to cure the abused.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Lazar » Mar 24, 2010 8:58 am

byofrcs wrote:This is not a scientific paper and God is not a bicycle. These are more like case studies of addicts rather than a measure of the penetration of drugs in society.

"God is not a bicycle" there is something I am missing here I think.

I am sure the study is what it is, what I don't understand is why it is getting the traction it is.

The last paragraph of the article is key. Good societies address drug abuse through seeing the victim as a person and helping their addiction not seeing them as a criminal and institutionalising them.

Secular society should be able to rehabilitate the clergy. I'm perfectly happy to pay for this in the same way I support drug rehabilitation program and decriminalising drugs. Human rights legislation has pretty well removed the criminal aspects of belief (in Western society at least though certain beliefs are still illegal in other countries) but we still have to cure the abused.

Religion is drug addiction now and those who believe are the abused? What happened to it being a mind virus or a mental illness? I find it hard to keep up with the metaphors or are they metaphors, it is never quite clear. I also find it hard to understand how people can justify such vitriol in the face of real abuse and real mental illness and so forth.

If we take this analogy and take it further what this article is essentially doing is suggesting that we feel sorry for drug dealers who continue to push drugs to others even though they don't believe in it, because they don't know what else to do. I say this not because I think religion is a drug addiction but because I think the analogy is silly. I think RDs idea of starting up a charity to help clergy who no longer believe retrain is an excellent idea.

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby byofrcs » Mar 24, 2010 9:11 am

Lazar wrote:
byofrcs wrote:This is not a scientific paper and God is not a bicycle. These are more like case studies of addicts rather than a measure of the penetration of drugs in society.

"God is not a bicycle" there is something I am missing here I think.

I am sure the study is what it is, what I don't understand is why it is getting the traction it is.

He'd used apophatuousness and that's quite a funny term for those that follow apophatic theology.

I can now stop using syncretic death cult when I mean Christianity.

Religion is drug addiction now and those who believe are the abused? What happened to it being a mind virus or a mental illness? I find it hard to keep up with the metaphors or are they metaphors, it is never quite clear. I also find it hard to understand how people can justify such vitriol in the face of real abuse and real mental illness and so forth.

If we take this analogy and take it further what this article is essentially doing is suggesting that we feel sorry for drug dealers who continue to push drugs to others even though they don't believe in it, because they don't know what else to do. I say this not because I think religion is a drug addiction but because I think the analogy is silly. I think RDs idea of starting up a charity to help clergy who no longer believe retrain is an excellent idea.

The clergy are more the mules in the business. They are as hooked as the end users. The clergy are forbidden to make up their own theology. The doctrine is supplied to them pre-cut and they deliver it to the masses.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Lazar » Mar 24, 2010 9:16 am

byofrcs wrote:
The clergy are more the mules in the business. They are as hooked as the end users. The clergy are forbidden to make up their own theology. The doctrine is supplied to them pre-cut and they deliver it to the masses.

So you are still saying we should feel sorry and sympathetic of drug dealers who supply an unsuspecting public with a drug they themselves are no longer addicted to because they have been trained as drug dealers and thus don't have anything else to do. There is problems with this metaphor I think.

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby amyonyango » Mar 24, 2010 9:21 am

MattHunX wrote:
Will S wrote:

Just the fact that there are literally thousands of different kinds of denominations of christianity alone should make every theist wonder about the credibility of their own. It is such a simple thought-process, even a child can quickly learn to question it. Like Dawkins' own experience,when he said he started questioning the whole thing after learning about the existence of other religions.

Why can't theists see this? And why can't they see the patterns, of how, for example their faith shifts? How the dogma subtly, or sometimes not so subtly, changes. Many evidence which their religion couldn't beat, have always been incorporated into it to be part of the dogma so (most) people wouldn't turn even just a bit skeptical. They're changing the rules and the lore as they see fit to accommodate and compensate for cases made, and evidence presented against it. Even a child, in an elementary school, can discern that it's man-made, self-serving, self-contradicting, immoral and irrational.

Too many theists are just too far gone, too afraid, too insecure to dare and think for themselves and search for anything that would go against their deeply-held childish beliefs. Too afraid to even make that first step. 5/6 of the world! Alarming and frightening. :nono:

My mother in law is a classic example of someone so entrenched within a life of christianity that to question anything to do with her religion or faith is seen as the work of the devil.

Before I realised the depths of her belief I asked her what she thought of evolution.
"Amy!" I am CHRISTIAN! I believe in the BIBLE! Do you think we are all here by CHANCE?"

The look in her eyes was quite frightening, actually. I didn't persue the conversation. She's too far gone.
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Name: Amy
Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#20  Postby byofrcs » Mar 24, 2010 9:30 am

Lazar wrote:
byofrcs wrote:

So you are still saying we should feel sorry and sympathetic of drug dealers who supply an unsuspecting public with a drug they themselves are no longer addicted to because they have been trained as drug dealers and thus don't have anything else to do. There is problems with this metaphor I think.

Feeling hate isn't going to work. The US is an example that systemically hates drug dealers and fat lot of use that has done except create a vicious circle of dependency from the law enforcers to the private prison services to the top end of the drug dealers themselves, who profits are incredible simply because of the law.

The losers are the taxpayer, the mugged, the burgled householder, the end users and the mules and small-time players.

Nope, you gut the lot through altering the ecological niche that they live in. With drugs the niche is artificially created through drug laws that criminalise the system, thus creating a profit motive and with religion the niche is created through legislation and tax-funding that promotes theocratic solutions to social problems. From church taxes, hypothecated taxation, and state funding of social services via religious charities, state churches (England) and affirmative laws.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Nontheism