‘The Pill’ means atheism is doomed

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: ‘The Pill’ means atheism is doomed

#21  Postby laklak » Mar 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Made of Stars wrote:
Paul G wrote:Hopefully they'll soon realise they can't just spit out babies constantly, there's only so much of this planet to go round.

Not likely. The world's going to end tomorrow, remember?

HERETIC. It's ending on December 21st, 2012, at 20:12. Or 21:12. Or 21:20. Or 12:21. Something like that. Anyway, you won't be here on the 22nd.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 16, 2010 1:48 pm

I think it already ended, but we missed the bus. :coffee:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Funny, I don't feel doomed.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby dalv8409 » Mar 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Doesn't Ed West hate us Atheists or what? :lol: He isn't afraid to show it in his bullshit articles anyway. I guess this shows that maybe Atheists and other types of non-religious people (and some religious people of all religions) actually have brains since they know if they have loads of children the planet will get even more overpopulated which will bring in loads of problems and knows that all animals defy nature since it's in our nature to defy it.
Last edited by dalv8409 on Mar 16, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#25  Postby crank » Mar 16, 2010 3:34 pm

The mention of the Amish for having such a high retention rate, probably due to the whole 'shunning' thing, you either are a good amish, or you are out of the family, out of the community, shunned, no communication at all.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Millefleur » Mar 16, 2010 3:43 pm

I predict by 2100 half the planets population will have the surname Duggar :coffee:
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Millefleur wrote:I predict by 2100 half the planets population will have the surname Duggar :coffee:

Only half?
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#28  Postby blackarmada » Mar 16, 2010 4:42 pm

Valden wrote:

It would be very funny if all the "Liberal" Christians were the only ones raptured, leaving behind the Fundies. They'd be both shocked and confused! :lol:

Actually i think it would be even more hilarious if the Jews were the ones raptured, they are the original God's Chosen no?

When that happens, Christianity and Islam suddenly would realize that this God they spend all their lives worshipping and killing for actually never gave a shit about them and they were just engaging in wishful thinking when they hijacked the original belief from the Jews.

I find the idea of 2 billion + people having their belief system rendered meaningless an extremely amusing thought.
Last edited by blackarmada on Mar 16, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
財也大, 產也大
後來子孫禍也大
若問此裡是如何,
子孫錢多膽也大,
天樣大事都不怕,
不喪家產不肯罢
blackarmada

Print view this post

#29  Postby blackarmada » Mar 16, 2010 4:43 pm

Millefleur wrote:I predict by 2100 half the planets population will have the surname Duggar :coffee:

I reckon half of them would either have Chinese surnames or Indian ones.
財也大, 產也大
後來子孫禍也大
若問此裡是如何,
子孫錢多膽也大,
天樣大事都不怕,
不喪家產不肯罢
blackarmada

Print view this post

#30  Postby juːtoʊpiə » Mar 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Lucy Wiggin wrote:
Weaver wrote:The simple fact that percentages of atheists has been increasing over time refutes his argument.

Increasing, sure. But are they increasing fast enough? An average Ultra-Orthodox family in Israel has 8 children. If 2 become Atheists, you still have the other 6 to deal with.

That's just the thing- the percentage of atheists is increasing, that is, the number of atheists is growing at a higher rate than the number of theists.
Religion has no place within schools just like facts have no place within religion- Superintendent Chalmers
Homophobia is gay :lay:
juːtoʊpiə

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Prince of Gonzo » Mar 16, 2010 5:38 pm

Weaver wrote:As someone above pointed out, atheists don't only come from atheist parents (informal sampling here indicates somewhat under 50%). Percentages of orthodox religious within the overall population has been decreasing over time, in spite of higher birth rates, while percentage of atheist/agnostic/no-religion has been increasing. So, in the end, the higher birth rates of orthodox religious types isn't leading to them "taking over".

Indeed. My parents are Mormon, but only managed to indoctrinate 2 of their 7 children.
Prince of Gonzo

Name: Parker Davis
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:

Only half?

The female half have to marry somebody, and even the Duggars must realize that somebody should preferably not be too closely related. :coffee:
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby ED209 » Mar 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Prince of Gonzo wrote:
Weaver wrote:As someone above pointed out, atheists don't only come from atheist parents (informal sampling here indicates somewhat under 50%). Percentages of orthodox religious within the overall population has been decreasing over time, in spite of higher birth rates, while percentage of atheist/agnostic/no-religion has been increasing. So, in the end, the higher birth rates of orthodox religious types isn't leading to them "taking over".

Indeed. My parents are Mormon, but only managed to indoctrinate 2 of their 7 children.

Exactly this. Surely atheism is spreading fastest as a result of people denouncing their parents', and by extension all religion, due to general progress in the collected knowledge of the human race. If we had to literally outbreed mormons, catholics, hindus and muslims in the developing world etc - well, we'd never get any work done for starters.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#34  Postby Aca » Mar 18, 2010 9:07 pm

juːtoʊpiə wrote:
Lucy Wiggin wrote:
Weaver wrote:The simple fact that percentages of atheists has been increasing over time refutes his argument.

Increasing, sure. But are they increasing fast enough? An average Ultra-Orthodox family in Israel has 8 children. If 2 become Atheists, you still have the other 6 to deal with.

That's just the thing- the percentage of atheists is increasing, that is, the number of atheists is growing at a higher rate than the number of theists.

New humanist, in the last issue, has lengthy interview with the author of the book. The argument he is making is that number of secular/atheist people is increasing, but they come mostly from the moderates, not from the fanatics, which are on the rise.

He also examines groups that have political agenda and plan that looks 200 years into the future. These people exist (to my surprise) and they actually intend to gain stronger political foothold by out-breeding every other religious/secular group. :o

To have full understanding of his arguments i guess i'll have to read the book, but New Humanist did not draw conclusions in the same way the telegraph's blogger did. At least not to that extent and definitively not using the same language
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#35  Postby delta2echo » Mar 18, 2010 11:20 pm

Am I the only one or is the moral of the story here that Atheists should breed more?
Any takers :naughty2: :comehereyou: :flowers: :heart:
"With the first link the chain is forged. The first speach censored the first thought forbiden chains us all irrecovacably." - Captain Picard, The Drumhead ST: TNG
delta2echo

Male

Print view this post

#36  Postby Weaver » Mar 18, 2010 11:21 pm

I think my wife might get upset ...

Not to mention the miniscule chances of successful conception.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby StickyWillie » Mar 18, 2010 11:36 pm

Prince of Gonzo wrote:

Yeh, Mormon parents - but how many mothers did you have? The Mormons: loads of mothers...
It's still a plant stupid.
StickyWillie

Name: Dave Rice
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Varangian » Mar 18, 2010 11:42 pm

Weaver wrote:I think my wife might get upset ...

Hey, my partner and I will have second child in July, and we are older than you! It only took two tries... :naughty2: (OK, then there was the risk of spontaneous abortion, faulty chromosones, etc, but we cleared those obstacles).

Instead of counting on an increase of religious people through breeding and indoctrination, someone should calculate the drop-out frequency. Also, there are untold numbers of apatheists who don't bother with neither church nor identifying themselves as open atheists.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#39  Postby delta2echo » Mar 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Weaver wrote:I think my wife might get upset ...

Minisucule chances x large itterations = eventual out comes

Times a'wasten people!
I, for one, wouldn't mind the opportunity to mate with a wholesome atheist lady *Swoon*
"With the first link the chain is forged. The first speach censored the first thought forbiden chains us all irrecovacably." - Captain Picard, The Drumhead ST: TNG
delta2echo

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby delta2echo » Mar 18, 2010 11:55 pm

P.s I should also mention I'm at work...and bored.

[edited because Im an idiot and didn't read what I wrote before pushing the button. Please dont let this reflect on me as a mate choice :smile: ]
delta2echo

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism