The Problems With the Atheistic Approach to the World

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Problems With the Atheistic Approach to the World

#21  Postby ymitchell » Mar 20, 2010 3:46 pm

RichardPrins wrote:The Problems With the Atheistic Approach to the World
Michael De Dora Jr.  wrote:Last week, in my first blog post , I wrote that there are major problems with how Americans view the relationship between politics, morality, religion and belief. In that piece, I focused mostly on the shortcomings of the typical liberal response to the relationship between religion and politics, barely touching on other secularist responses. This week, I'd like to outline the problems I have with one well-known response to the typical liberal camp: the radical atheists

Is it true that liberals and atheists go together. Are there any theistic liberals or atheist Republicans and what about all those athiest-gays inflitrating the US military?
It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it.
ymitchell
Banned User

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 20, 2010 3:56 pm

Alan B wrote:
amyonyango wrote: Any violent reigeme pushing ideologies with force is neither logical nor rational.

And, I might add, begin to take on all the appearances and attributes of a totalitarian religion.
If you examine the methods used to exert control and manipulation used by the communist and fascist regimes and the major theist religions, there is not much to choose between them. It's only a matter of degree.
There has never been a regime that has declared that it will control and manipulate its peoples according to the 'doctrine' and 'philosophy' of atheism. Totalitarian regimes may adopt any system of rule and may even outlaw religion and any associated belief in a god, but that is only to consolidate their own power-base. Nothing to do with atheism per se.
To argue that a totalitarian regime that rejects religion and god and is therefore 'atheist', and that this 'atheism' is the defining system of rule to apply subjugation to the peoples is specious and manipulative.

I don't think the theists' posts on this thread have indicated any understanding of non-belief and the associated complete absence of 'doctrine' and 'philosophy'. My non-belief in the existence of a god or gods knows no doctrine or dogma and does not require me to attend any 'quasi-religious' meetings.

The tweaks in understanding that you offer are irrelevant to the points I was making and the points made by the article that is the subject of this thread: the comparisons of an atheistic ideology that can be made to some collection of theistic religions do not somehow make that ideology less atheistic. The reasons behind said atheism do not make it less atheistic, and in a broader sense, the reasons behind any atheist's disbelief are irrelevant to his status as an atheist, so long as he meets the minimum requirement of not believing in gods. People can be atheists for dumb reasons. Shocking, I know. The particulars behind your own atheism are irrelevant. The fact that you and other atheists may "lack dogma" are irrelevant to those atheists who do not lack dogma. This is, again, in line with the second argument made in the article that is the subject of the thread:

This brings us to the second argument: atheists tend to view religion as either the problem, or the cause of the problem, even when other problems are apparent. But while theism is a problem, it is not the problem, and while atheism might be correct, atheism is not the answer. As the philosopher Massimo Pigliucci has noted, the larger predicament we face is uncritical adherence to ideology -- a problem that spans more than just religion (5). From birthers to Tea Partiers, from climate change deniers to conspiracy theorists, there is a lot of unhinged thinking out there. The approach must be more comprehensive.

Now, I know the whole "communism" thing is a dog whistle to you folks, but let's be clear: I never said that atheism makes people communist, or anything like that. I noted that atheists, in effect, can be bad and stupid people and do awful things to each other, by way of example (the Khmer Rouge). Like it or not, they were god-less. They did not believe in gods. They were atheists. This is in line with the first argument made in the article:

First: what is atheism? By definition, atheism means the absence of belief in theism or God. Atheism doesn’t imply whether a person believes “God definitely doesn’t exist” or whether he or she is a bit more lenient on the matter. Atheism does not tell us how much one cares about religion; it does not tell us if one is friendly to religion, or hates it. It does not tell us if one is absolutely unreasonable in his or her other beliefs generally. There are terrible atheists. Atheism is not encompassing in any other sense than, because it is so broad, many people might be atheists that do not realize it. As Robert Ingersoll once said, even if God does not exist, humans still have their work cut out for them. Atheism isn’t enough. This is the first argument against atheism. It is not a philosophy or a worldview, it is a lack of a specific religious belief, and that isn’t enough to carry us forward in any meaningful way.

@ aspire1670: you're, what, sixty years old? Surely you've figured out a more constructive and relevant way of expressing yourself by now. I'm not going to waste any future posts on your attempts to troll me unless you can think of some way to work something really juicy and interesting in them. Note: attacks on my character and/or the quality of my posts are dry and uninteresting.
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 20, 2010 4:00 pm

hackenslash wrote:I actually substantially agree with most of the specific points in the article, but underlying it all is a fallacious idea, namely that atheism is an 'approach' or a 'strategy' for anything. For me, I am not motivated by my atheism, but my love for what is actually true, and the defence of what is actually true from the ridiculous attacks against it by the credulous. My atheism is a symptom of this, not the cause of it, nor a strategy in and of itself. Reason is the strategy, and the defeating of magical thinking is the aim.

I believe he is speaking about the "radical atheists" or "new atheists", who lack a really coherent label but can generally be identified as being the sort of atheists who either are Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, etc or would hang out on sites like these and think that Dawkins et al are really nifty in large part because of their promotion of atheism, and who (excepting Harris) self-identify as atheist.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Ingenuity Gap » Mar 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Behaviour is influenced by what one believes not by what one doesn't believe.

I don't believe gods exist, hence I'm an atheist. My behaviour is not influenced by that, but by other things one can only guess, unless they have the decency to ask me (most theists don't and fabricate beliefs for me).

After spending the first 30 years of my life in one of the worst communist countries in the world, and the last 10 in one of the best democracies, I can definitely have an informed opinion about the whole "communist atheism" bullshit.

And make no mistake, it is complete and utter tosh. Communists were not moved by atheism, but by totalitarian economic, political, and social ideologies, that had nothing to do with atheism, but everything to do with dogma and doctrines. Exactly the same like religion. And they were capable to inflict their attrocities because they had no rival. In a world with only one party and way of life, anything (usually bad) goes.

Tyrants and sociopaths are the same regardless of their pet delusion. The only thing that separates them is access to technology.

So cut the crap and educate yourselves. Dogmatic ideologies are bad in any form they come: religious and non-religious. What their adherents show is ignorance of basic facts about human nature and society.
Ingenuity Gap

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 20, 2010 4:03 pm

ymitchell wrote:
RichardPrins wrote:The Problems With the Atheistic Approach to the World
Michael De Dora Jr.  wrote:Last week, in my first blog post , I wrote that there are major problems with how Americans view the relationship between politics, morality, religion and belief. In that piece, I focused mostly on the shortcomings of the typical liberal response to the relationship between religion and politics, barely touching on other secularist responses. This week, I'd like to outline the problems I have with one well-known response to the typical liberal camp: the radical atheists

Is it true that liberals and atheists go together. Are there any theistic liberals or atheist Republicans and what about all those athiest-gays inflitrating the US military?

The author was not referring to all liberals or all atheists, or even all liberal atheists. But rather, the liberal atheists of the Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris line of thinking.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Ingenuity Gap wrote:Behaviour is influenced by what one believes not by what one doesn't believe.

False, if I don't believe I have any money, I will act as though I am penniless. If I don't believe the escalator is working, I will act as though they are stairs. If I don't believe that alcohol can kill me, I will have fewer compunctions about binge drinking drinking.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#27  Postby hackenslash » Mar 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Ingenuity Gap wrote:Behaviour is influenced by what one believes not by what one doesn't believe.

I don't believe gods exist, hence I'm an atheist. My behaviour is not influenced by that, but by other things one can only guess, unless they have the decency to ask me (most theists don't and fabricate beliefs for me).

After spending the first 30 years of my life in one of the worst communist countries in the world, and the last 10 in one of the best democracies, I can definitely have an informed opinion about the whole "communist atheism" bullshit.

And make no mistake, it is complete and utter tosh. Communists were not moved by atheism, but by totalitarian economic, political, and social ideologies, that had nothing to do with atheism, but everything to do with dogma and doctrines. Exactly the same like religion. And they were capable to inflict their attrocities because they had no rival. In a world with only one party and way of life, anything (usually bad) goes.

Tyrants and sociopaths are the same regardless of their pet delusion. The only thing that separates them is access to technology.

So cut the crap and educate yourselves. Dogmatic ideologies are bad in any form they come: religious and non-religious. What their adherents show is ignorance of basic facts about human nature and society.

hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#28  Postby amyonyango » Mar 20, 2010 4:14 pm

hackenslash wrote:I actually substantially agree with most of the specific points in the article, but underlying it all is a fallacious idea, namely that atheism is an 'approach' or a 'strategy' for anything. For me, I am not motivated by my atheism, but my love for what is actually true, and the defence of what is actually true from the ridiculous attacks against it by the credulous. My atheism is a symptom of this, not the cause of it, nor a strategy in and of itself. Reason is the strategy, and the defeating of magical thinking is the aim.

Hack! You manage to sum up what I've been attempting to say in one concise paragraph. I need more practise I think.
I too, am motivated by truth and feel my atheism is a symptom of this, not the motivation behind my thoughts and ideas.

If I knew how to do one of your big clappy pictures I'd do one right now. :cheers:
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Name: Amy
Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#29  Postby amyonyango » Mar 20, 2010 4:27 pm

Loren Michael wrote:

False, if I don't believe I have any money, I will act as though I am penniless. If I don't believe the escalator is working, I will act as though they are stairs. If I don't believe that alcohol can kill me, I will have fewer compunctions about binge drinking drinking.

How can you "believe" you have no money. You "know" you're penniless and act accordingly.
How can you "believe" the escalator isn't working? You can see it's out of order and act accordingly.
To not belive in alcohol poisoning means you are ignorant of the facts and therefore your actions are based on the belief that binge drinking does you no harm.

I don't belive in many things: faries, giants, the lock ness monster, etc. I can't think of any behaviour that is directly caused by not believing in these things.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Ingenuity Gap » Mar 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Loren Michael wrote:

Please tell me what is my disbelief in gods persuading me to do?
Ingenuity Gap

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 20, 2010 6:52 pm

amyonyango wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:

How can you "believe" you have no money. You "know" you're penniless and act accordingly.
How can you "believe" the escalator isn't working? You can see it's out of order and act accordingly.
To not belive in alcohol poisoning means you are ignorant of the facts and therefore your actions are based on the belief that binge drinking does you no harm.

You aren't addressing my comments. I was specifically referring to things people "don't believe". You brought up not believing, let's not get off track, shall we?

I don't believe I have money the same way I do believe I have money. I look in my wallet, I look at the numbers of my bank account, and I form my beliefs, and/or lack thereof, on the evidence at hand. If that's a zero in my bank account and an apparently empty wallet, I don't believe I have any money. Correspondingly, I also believe I have no money, but if you'd like to get into that you should probably talk about it in another thread.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 20, 2010 6:55 pm

Ingenuity Gap wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:

I dunno, I'm not you. Something, or nothing, for all I know.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Paul G » Mar 20, 2010 6:58 pm

Loren Michael wrote:
Ingenuity Gap wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:

Ok, what could it persuade someone to do?
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Paul G wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:
Ingenuity Gap wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:

Ok, what could it persuade someone to do?

You want me to concoct a scenario where a person is led to do something because he doesn't believe in gods? A person would mark "no" on survey questions inquiring as to whether he believes in one or more gods.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Paul G » Mar 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Loren Michael wrote:

You want me to concoct a scenario where a person is led to do something because he doesn't believe in gods? A person would mark "no" on survey questions inquiring as to whether he believes in one or more gods.

:lol:

Bah!
Paul G

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Agrippina » Mar 20, 2010 7:14 pm

The point that theists don't get about the perpetrators of genocide is that these people are not driven by their lack of belief.

If people like Pol Pot, Stalin and co were driven by a desire to eradicate all the 'believers' from their societies then I would agree that they were 'bad' atheists. But they weren't their disbelief in religion was merely a by-product of the people they were, and their lack of belief in 'gods' wasn't feeding the genocide. They were driven by a lust for power, not a desire to rid the earth of believers.

And how do I know this? On our border, just north of us is a man who when he first started fighting the government in the then Rhodesia, professed to be a communist. He claimed that he was an atheist just like all other communists. Over the years his atheism has changed and he now uses the dogma of Christianity to validate his new idea that homosexuals are a scourge. I've lived around power-freaks in politics for most of my life, Christian protestants who ran a police state and the communists who fought them, and the one thing that all these people have in common is a lust for power. People who commit political crime are not driven by their religion or their lack of belief in religion, they are driven by a lust for power. So I think that one is a bit of a specious argument against atheism.

The atheism that I, and people like me use as a word to describe our lack of belief is just that, a lack of belief and there is no desire in me to control anything, except maybe the remote device that operates my TV.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Paul G wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:

:lol:

Bah!

QE-fucking-D

In related news, retarded questions make Loren say things that make him feel retarded.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Agrippina wrote:The point that theists don't get about the perpetrators of genocide is that these people are not driven by their lack of belief.

Who is this directed to? Are you saying that I believe otherwise?
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Paul G » Mar 20, 2010 7:24 pm

Loren Michael wrote:

In related news, retarded questions make Loren say things that make him feel retarded.

:dance:
Paul G

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#40  Postby amyonyango » Mar 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Loren Michael wrote:
amyonyango wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:

You aren't addressing my comments. I was specifically referring to things people "don't believe". You brought up not believing, let's not get off track, shall we?

I don't believe I have money the same way I do believe I have money. I look in my wallet, I look at the numbers of my bank account, and I form my beliefs, and/or lack thereof, on the evidence at hand. If that's a zero in my bank account and an apparently empty wallet, I don't believe I have any money. Correspondingly, I also believe I have no money, but if you'd like to get into that you should probably talk about it in another thread.

If I look in my wallet and see a £20 note, I don't "believe" I have it, I know I have it.

That's the difference. Belief requires a degree of faith to bridge the gap between the known and the assumed. Atheism is a non-belief as atheists use knowledge and proof to form judgements. It is knowledge and proof that we act upon, not pre-supposed belief or faith.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism