There's no such thing as an atheist baby

as silly as assuming a default language or nationality

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: There's no such thing as an atheist baby

#581  Postby purplerat » Sep 30, 2014 3:51 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:Your use is not the sole use, our use covers pretty much all uses so is more correct. Your preference is a limited and subjective definition that is really only a subset of our better one.

Why is a definition that is open to misunderstandings a "better" one? This is the real irrationality.

What are you having trouble understanding?

The fact that some people have a poor grasp on a language or have insular views on what words mean (i.e. somebody who thinks atheist only applies to the Christian God) shouldn't dictate language to the rest of us who can actually comprehend it.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#582  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Sep 30, 2014 3:51 pm

I find the funny thing to be that he was upset about words having their meanings changed, which is what use based meanings does.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#583  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 30, 2014 3:58 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:I find the funny thing to be that he was upset about words having their meanings changed, which is what use based meanings does.

Ha! Think Darwinian evolution. The change has to be GRADUAL, otherwise it doesn't work.
Last edited by DavidMcC on Sep 30, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#584  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 30, 2014 3:59 pm

purplerat wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:Your use is not the sole use, our use covers pretty much all uses so is more correct. Your preference is a limited and subjective definition that is really only a subset of our better one.

Why is a definition that is open to misunderstandings a "better" one? This is the real irrationality.

What are you having trouble understanding?

The fact that some people have a poor grasp on a language or have insular views on what words mean (i.e. somebody who thinks atheist only applies to the Christian God) shouldn't dictate language to the rest of us who can actually comprehend it.

No, it's you who has a poor grasp of how language gradually evolves.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#585  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Sep 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Asserted DavidMcC so it must be the truth.

No wait he is still wrong since both uses are in use. His preference for one over the other doesn't change that.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#586  Postby purplerat » Sep 30, 2014 4:03 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:I find the funny thing to be that he was upset about words having their meanings changed, which is what use based meanings does.

Ha! Think Darwinian evolution. The change has to be GRADUAL, otherwise it doesn't work.

If we use your analogy of evolution then your argument amounts to:

"if humans evolved from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys!" :snooty:
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#587  Postby tolman » Sep 30, 2014 4:06 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Also, stop trying to pretend that the definition of "atheist" I have given is somehow unique to me.

I'm not trying to say that at all.
Lots of people try to push narrow definitions for one reason or another, some narrower than yours.

If we're on the topic of 'pretence', you clearly are trying to pretend that someone following 'usage' of the word would have to agree with you, even when usage is in reality frequently broader than your definition suggests.
Indeed if no-one used the word in its widest sense, then no-one would be disagreeing with you.

DavidMcC wrote:Stop with the BS, ffs! Many thinking religious people aren't theists. They are known as deists, because their "god" doesn't answer prayers, I suspect. Eg, A. Einstein was a deist.

Again, that comes down to how narrow a definition of 'theist' one chooses to adopt.
Some definitions include all forms of belief in gods.
Some include only beliefs in interventionist creator gods.
Etc.
If someone claimed only one definition was correct, they would be wrong. Much depends on context.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#588  Postby redwhine » Sep 30, 2014 4:07 pm

DavidMcC wrote:People who haven't thought much about what they believe (or don't) are neither theists nor atheist (nor even deists).

Actually, deists are a subset of theists. They believe in a sitting around doing fuck all god, but a god nonetheless. If they didn't believe in a god, they would be atheists.
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#589  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 30, 2014 4:11 pm

redwhine wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:People who haven't thought much about what they believe (or don't) are neither theists nor atheist (nor even deists).

Actually, deists are a subset of theists. They believe in a sitting around doing fuck all god, but a god nonetheless. If they didn't believe in a god, they would be atheists.

OK, but I've never heard of Einstein being clled a "theist".
Perhaps I should have also mentioned "agnostics" (mainly used to refer to those who are agnostic about "god" - again, by use, not etymology).
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#590  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Sep 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Agnostics are a different set, you can be an agnostic atheist or theist and that is based on use and etymology. You are still wrong about atheists, oh so wrong.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#591  Postby redwhine » Sep 30, 2014 4:15 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
redwhine wrote:

OK, but I've never heard of Einstein being clled a "theist".
Perhaps I should have also mentioned "agnostics" (mainly used to refer to those who are agnostic about "god" - again, by use, not etymology).

Nothing to do with belief. It refers to knowledge.
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#592  Postby tolman » Sep 30, 2014 4:20 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

Bullshit - in practice changes have tended to be gradual, given how languages tended to change and how communication systems worked.
Since the development of methods of mass communication, it has become possible for new words and new usages of existing words to become commonplace in very short spaces of time, as well as for once-obscure old words to be rapidly learned by large numbers of people.
That process works fine, being really just a more synchronised/faster version of what used to happen more slowly.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#593  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 30, 2014 4:53 pm

tolman wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Bullshit - in practice changes have tended to be gradual, given how languages tended to change and how communication systems worked.

Umm.... isn't that EXACTLY what I just said? I said changes needed to be gradual!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#594  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Sep 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Read the rest of the post and find out why you are wrong. Again.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#595  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 30, 2014 5:26 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Read the rest of the post and find out why you are wrong. Again.

I was not wrong, because tolman is interpretting slow and fast to suit his own purposes. In reality, as in evolution, the sped required is relative. So, actually, YOU are wrong again.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#596  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Well, now that we've wrapped up that silly red herring, how's about you start presenting arguments, rather than dismissal and assertions for your definition?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#597  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 30, 2014 5:42 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Well, now that we've wrapped up that silly red herring, how's about you start presenting arguments, rather than dismissal and assertions for your definition?

It's merely what I've always understood the word to mean. I suggest you go and find an atheist, and ask them if they have thought about the subject of whether there are gods or not.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#598  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 30, 2014 6:45 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Well, now that we've wrapped up that silly red herring, how's about you start presenting arguments, rather than dismissal and assertions for your definition?

It's merely what I've always understood the word to mean.

And you've been repeatedly corrected in this thread. So why do you persist in asserting your definition if correct, if an appeal to personal ignorance is all you've got?

DavidMcC wrote: I suggest you go and find an atheist, and ask them if they have thought about the subject of whether there are gods or not.

1. I am myself an atheist, as I've repeatedly pointed out to you, as well as that my atheism has been 'present' since birth.
2. The vast majority of my friends are atheists. They all disagree with your definition.
3. Most atheists I've talked to online also don't fit your definition.

Que, No True Scotsman in 3, 2, 1, ....
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#599  Postby Fallible » Sep 30, 2014 7:17 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

It's merely what I've always understood the word to mean. I suggest you go and find an atheist, and ask them if they have thought about the subject of whether there are gods or not.

Lol, how do you think Thomas would know they were an atheist? Could it possibly be because they've said 'I'm an atheist'? You want Thomas to go and ask someone who self-refers as an atheist if they have thought about the subject of whether there are gods or not in order to show that atheists are those who have thought about the subject. Of course they fucking have, that's why they call themselves atheist. You're already flopping about with your assertions, because you previously declared an atheist is someone who has thought 'sufficiently' about the existence of gods. Now it's just that they have thought about it. The problem with your idiotic comment here is that it spectacularly fails to deal with the central issue you disagree with, which is that the term 'atheist' applies to people who don't believe in gods even if they've never thought about it and have never self-identified as atheists, a set which you straight up refuse to include in your self-serving definition. That's the entire fucking point.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#600  Postby Sendraks » Sep 30, 2014 7:48 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
It's merely what I've always understood the word to mean.

And now you're what, lacking in the necessary humility to admit your understanding was wrong?

DavidMcC wrote:I suggest you go and find an atheist, and ask them if they have thought about the subject of whether there are gods or not.

And whether they have thought about gods or not is irrelevant to their being an atheist.

Atheist = someone who has no belief in deities, because they've never thought about it.
Atheist = someone who has no belief in deities, because they've thought about it and concluded that the position they held prior to thinking about it is still valid.
Atheist = someone who had no belief in deities, then did believe in them (probably because of muddled parenting), then as an adult thought about it some more and decided that, on balance, didn't believe in deities.

The important thing David, which you need to grasp, is that atheist = someone who has no belief in deities.
How they got to that point is fucking irrelevant.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism