Why I'm Not an Atheist

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why I'm Not an Atheist

#201  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 8:38 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
MarkHei wrote:I respect your rules, I will discontinue because I don't want to cause further problems

What Mark the ultimate cop out.

You are not causing any problems for us. :think: Nope no problems.

Maybe it is you that has the problems. IMHO you have massive problems and you cant face them so what do you do? Look for an easy way out. Yes Mark the way you have chosen is the easy way. No thinking required. Just turn the old automatic pilot and there you go. Sailing into the sunset of ignorance.

This is where you make assumptions about me based on limited information. You're assuming I am looking for the easy way out, when I am looking for the proper view. You say no thinking required but this requires immense concentration and patience. The autopilot is not engaged and I do all I can to control my destiny by being a good person. This is the best I can do. Perhaps if I cultivate myself in this life I can be a better person in the next. These are healthy outlooks on life regardless of whether you agree with Karma or not.
MarkHei

Name: Mark Heideman

United States (us)
Print view this post

#202  Postby Bribase » Apr 06, 2014 8:41 pm

MarkHei wrote:
If you are reincarnated as a sex slave in a brothel you might ask what you did in a past life that brought you here

What a fucking disgusting thing to write.

I don't care what your theology is, you ought to be ashamed of yourself for comments like this.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#203  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 8:52 pm

The person before stated he didn't fear being reincarnated. I am only showing what can happen in our belief system. You don't have to like it. You can take offense. But my intention is not to be cruel. It is to make the point that if we are born in miserable conditions we have to ask how did we get here? I'm making you think, but your tolerance for other peoples views are fragile at best.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#204  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 06, 2014 8:58 pm

You mentioned that you only recently 'came to' the concept of reincarnation, I remember long conversations about this sort of thing in high-school. Thats over fourty years ago. It's hardly a novel concept, just there is not a whit of solid evidence that it exists, or a coherent mechanism by which it even could exist.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#205  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 06, 2014 9:04 pm

MarkHei wrote:The person before stated he didn't fear being reincarnated. I am only showing what can happen in our belief system.

Completely missing the point that I don't fear reincarnation, because I do not believe it exists.

Satan is also claimed to perform all manner of torture on you, are afraid of Satan Mark?
How about Hades?

MarkHei wrote:You don't have to like it. You can take offense.

It's preaching and a poorly veiled threat.

MarkHei wrote:But my intention is not to be cruel. It is to make the point that if we are born in miserable conditions we have to ask how did we get here? I'm making you think, but your tolerance for other peoples views are fragile at best.

You're not making us think, you're making us roll our eyes at your silly wibbling and dodging.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#206  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 06, 2014 9:09 pm

MarkHei wrote:The person before stated he didn't fear being reincarnated. I am only showing what can happen in our belief system. You don't have to like it. You can take offense. But my intention is not to be cruel. It is to make the point that if we are born in miserable conditions we have to ask how did we get here?

It is not my belief system because I don't have one.

Where is your evidence? You cant show anything because there is nothing but if you can show otherwise produce the goods then we might even pay it a bit of attention but up to now all you have come with is assertions.

You are not being cruel for there is nothing to be cruel about so there's a nice chum and just shut up about it. Where we are born into is just pure chance. Some a born with a silver spoon, some a gold one but most of us just have a plastic one.
Please don't go on about reincarnation you are just making yourself look even more sillier. You have not proven one jot.
Just because you are fooling yourself don't expect us to join you on you insane travels. A lot of people here have made far worst journeys than you have ever made. Stop wallowing in mire of despond.

How do you square this with the universe. You know that place outside this little rock. Don't you see how stupid it is? Of course you have put on the blinkers of what you think life is about. Take them off and look around you if you are capable.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#207  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 9:10 pm

You have to understand how a Buddhist thinks before you can attack him. You're telling me I am threatening you and my arguments are silly. These are your illusions. No basis in fact. You're not going to gain any knowledge by being obstinate to every new thought. Not knowing your age or your level of suffering I cannot say anything about you. All I can say is with proper conditions you'll see there's more to life than skin and bones. For Skeptics, I wish you luck in finding physical proof of a phenomenon that is un-provable. It's just that you lack the tool of Karma because that requires a faith and you cannot accept faith. Karma is a concept that is bigger than you.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#208  Postby romansh » Apr 06, 2014 9:17 pm

romansh wrote:
MarkHei wrote:The reason is the lessons I am learning about reincarnation, karma and higher realms of thinking. Enlightenment is something Buddhist want to attain and Karma and Reincarnation are central to Buddhism. If you want to be enlightened you have to learn to accept truth and open your mind. If you depend only on worldly phenomoenon you will be constantly confused.

Mark
The above and your mentions of other people's ignorance does not seem to be terribly Buddhist to me.

Also you did not finish explaing how your "truth" is somehow more valid than mine.
and you did not touch the paradox here
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/nonth ... l#p1971332

Mark ... would you care to have a go at answering my questions?

Thanks
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#209  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 06, 2014 9:17 pm

MarkHei wrote:You have to understand how a Buddhist thinks before you can attack him. You're telling me I am threatening you and my arguments are silly. These are your illusions. No basis in fact.

Where are your facts? Your evidence. You cant threaten us because you have nothing to threaten with. All you have are illusions.

You're not going to gain any knowledge by being obstinate to every new thought. Not knowing your age or your level of suffering I cannot say anything about you.

Define knowledge? Define new thought? You cant say anything about anyone.

All I can say is with proper conditions you'll see there's more to life than skin and bones. For Skeptics, I wish you luck in finding physical proof of a phenomenon that is un-provable. It's just that you lack the tool of Karma because that requires a faith and you cannot accept faith. Karma is a concept that is bigger than you.

That my friend is preaching. You have no proof and no facts.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#210  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 9:24 pm

romansh wrote:
romansh wrote:
MarkHei wrote:The reason is the lessons I am learning about reincarnation, karma and higher realms of thinking. Enlightenment is something Buddhist want to attain and Karma and Reincarnation are central to Buddhism. If you want to be enlightened you have to learn to accept truth and open your mind. If you depend only on worldly phenomoenon you will be constantly confused.

Mark
The above and your mentions of other people's ignorance does not seem to be terribly Buddhist to me.

Also you did not finish explaing how your "truth" is somehow more valid than mine.
and you did not touch the paradox here
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/nonth ... l#p1971332

Mark ... would you care to have a go at answering my questions?

Thanks

ok let me look at it, will get back
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#211  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 9:27 pm

LucidFlight wrote:
MarkHei wrote:Truth is all there is.

Yes, but love is all you need.

That's correct
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#212  Postby Bribase » Apr 06, 2014 9:28 pm

MarkHei wrote:The person before stated he didn't fear being reincarnated. I am only showing what can happen in our belief system. You don't have to like it. You can take offense. But my intention is not to be cruel. It is to make the point that if we are born in miserable conditions we have to ask how did we get here? I'm making you think, but your tolerance for other peoples views are fragile at best.

And your sense of sympathy for people living out their lives in the worst possible conditions is bordering on the sociopathic.

Indeed, you are showing me what can happen in your belief system.

First it forges the requirement to believe that vague anecdotes, espoused by people with obvious motivated reasoning constitutes evidence. Then it provides one with a sense that one's own skills of perception are superhuman and that other people who don't take your word for it are willfully blind to the obvious truth that you have personally uncovered. It equips you with a sense that you will survive the fact of your own eventual death while convincing you that you have honestly confronted the issue. It assures you of the validity of your own thinking despite the obvious contradictions and lack of correlation to real life. And finally it allows you to demonise victims of terrible circumstances for want of a just world hypothesis.

Your notapology is noted.

Fuck your stupid theology. It turns you into an egotistical fool and an unsympathetic monster.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#213  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 06, 2014 9:29 pm

What is truth and love Mark? Go on define them according to your wonderful fulfilling beliefs and excuse while I go the toilet to do something more important.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#214  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 9:32 pm

I thought I replied to this already. If I answer differently then you'll get TWO responses.
My truth is the same as your truth, but you may not have discovered your truth yet. You were born ignorant and there is a lot to understand in this life. Schools and churches don't teach you about Karma, they teach about God. Buddhists believe you're nothing and everything at the same time, so there is no "you" and "me", there is "us" and "we" all suffer and thrive together. So your truth is whatever it is and my truth is different from yours but ultimately destiny will decide who has done more good deeds and acted appropriately in life and had the right intentions. If you follow a good path you will be rewarded with a peaceful life. That is the best you can do.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#215  Postby Regina » Apr 06, 2014 9:33 pm

MarkHei wrote:You have to understand how a Buddhist thinks before you can attack him. You're telling me I am threatening you and my arguments are silly. These are your illusions. No basis in fact. You're not going to gain any knowledge by being obstinate to every new thought. Not knowing your age or your level of suffering I cannot say anything about you. All I can say is with proper conditions you'll see there's more to life than skin and bones. For Skeptics, I wish you luck in finding physical proof of a phenomenon that is un-provable. It's just that you lack the tool of Karma because that requires a faith and you cannot accept faith. Karma is a concept that is bigger than you.

Aha, so karma only exists when you believe in it. I guess I can safely ignore it then.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#216  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 06, 2014 9:37 pm

MarkHei wrote:I thought I replied to this already. If I answer differently then you'll get TWO responses.
My truth is the same as your truth, but you may not have discovered your truth yet. You were born ignorant and there is a lot to understand in this life. Schools and churches don't teach you about Karma, they teach about God. Buddhists believe you're nothing and everything at the same time, so there is no "you" and "me", there is "us" and "we" all suffer and thrive together. So your truth is whatever it is and my truth is different from yours but ultimately destiny will decide who has done more good deeds and acted appropriately in life and had the right intentions. If you follow a good path you will be rewarded with a peaceful life. That is the best you can do.

Mixed up are they Mark? I think so.

I think my trip to the toilet was more helpful mind.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#217  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Regina wrote:
MarkHei wrote:You have to understand how a Buddhist thinks before you can attack him. You're telling me I am threatening you and my arguments are silly. These are your illusions. No basis in fact. You're not going to gain any knowledge by being obstinate to every new thought. Not knowing your age or your level of suffering I cannot say anything about you. All I can say is with proper conditions you'll see there's more to life than skin and bones. For Skeptics, I wish you luck in finding physical proof of a phenomenon that is un-provable. It's just that you lack the tool of Karma because that requires a faith and you cannot accept faith. Karma is a concept that is bigger than you.

Aha, so karma only exists when you believe in it. I guess I can safely ignore it then.

You have to mixed up though. Don't think straight is deadly. Karma will leave you immediately no second chance and you will come back as a whore in a whore house. Not very nice when her in number 3 is always groaning.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#218  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

That sarcasm will hold you back more than your toilet humor
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#219  Postby fluttermoth » Apr 06, 2014 9:48 pm

MarkHei wrote:
If you are reincarnated as a sex slave in a brothel you might ask what you did in a past life that brought you here

So...what you're basically say here is, if someone is enslaved, or sexually abused, or some other abhorrent thing happens to them, it's their fault and that they're being punished for something they did in a previous life, that they're unlikely to remember, is that right?

Just wanting to clarify before I start feeling utterly sickened (oh, too late :rage: :yuk: )
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#220  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 06, 2014 9:49 pm

MarkHei wrote:That sarcasm will hold you back more than your toilet humor

Well there is a thing what is it holding me back from? He boyo? Just show me. Give me some lovely evidence that I can gawk at but you cant can you that is why my ablutions are more effective, if you get my gist, than all the crap you are spreading around the place. At least I do mine in the gent's room. Why don't you use it and do us all a favour boyo.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism