Why not pray for self improvement? Placebos work regardless.

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why not pray for self improvement? Placebos work regardless.

#2321  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 11, 2016 3:01 pm

"What? You're going to give me 3 million dollars to make some shit up? No problem!"
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2322  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 11, 2016 3:05 pm

John Platko wrote:It seems to assume that there is a supernatural to experience.

Mine goes to 'eleven'.

John Platko wrote:Perhaps there are obvious assumptions about "the supernatural" being something that is imagined that is understood by those closely associated with the project. :dunno:

Perhaps there are obvious approaches to assuming the conclusion. Two mil to document what is already 'understood', whatever the fuck that denotes for supernaturalists? Sure, John. Experience and understanding. Same thing. You just can't explain that. Or maybe you can, and explain it as experience that is understood immediately. Too bad you didn't manage to say it first, but those are the breaks. Still doesn't denote anything, but it now includes 'immediacy'.

So then we have the 'supernatural' as some sort of 'immediate gratification'. Now we've closed the net around psychobabble.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2323  Postby John Platko » Aug 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
John Platko wrote:It seems to assume that there is a supernatural to experience.

Mine goes to 'eleven'.

John Platko wrote:Perhaps there are obvious assumptions about "the supernatural" being something that is imagined that is understood by those closely associated with the project. :dunno:

Perhaps there are obvious approaches to assuming the conclusion. Two mil to document what is already 'understood', whatever the fuck that denotes for supernaturalists? Sure, John. Experience and understanding. Same thing. You just can't explain that. Or maybe you can, and explain it as experience that is understood immediately. Too bad you didn't manage to say it first, but those are the breaks.

Indeed! But on the bright side, there's also:

We hypothesize that different cultural understandings of the mind—specifically, how separate the mind is from the world, how important inner experience is held to be, and how real the imagination is held to be—shape the way people pay attention to and interpret events they deem supernatural.

Which reminds me of what I've been saying here for a long time.

from
Eyewitness testimony is classified as "religious evidence" if a "religious individual", "religious group", or "religious organization" deems (deem is an operation that makes the appropriate class assignment) the evidence to be "religious evidence".

Or more technically phrased:

from
The Development of Religious Ideas

Let ALL_RE be the set of all R_E. a∈ALL_RE if a R_I, R_O, or R_G performs the operation DEEM on a, where the operation DEEM adds element a to set All_RE.

Deeming is a very important operation for flushing out the supernatural.

Still doesn't denote anything, but it now includes 'immediacy'.

So then we have the 'supernatural' as some sort of 'immediate gratification'. Now we've closed the net around psychobabble.

This is an interesting psychobabble sentence but I feel quite certain that prayer dose not require the person praying to examine their thoughts. The examining part is optional and most opt out - according to my mixed method studies.

Prayer, for example, requires the person praying to examine their thoughts and, often, to understand thoughts and other mental events in particular ways.

And this is a bit of outstanding wordsmithing.

we will take a mixed methods, multi-phase approach, combining participant observation, semi-structured interviews, quantitative surveys, and experimental research.

Oh it's never good for me to participate in these threads beyond the 100 page mark, after that I start getting too skeptical. :nono:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2324  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 11, 2016 6:39 pm

John Platko wrote:Deeming is a very important operation for flushing out the supernatural.

Indeed, but there's deeming and then there's some poor dim fuck just being too fucking stupid or uneducated to find the right name for whatever some poor dim fuck is deeming 'supernatural'. Beyond that, there's saying 'supernatural' while deeming otherwise. That's not exactly lying, or lying to oneself, or anything like that, but using fancy language to describe the speech productions that emerge from a state of pig-ignorance is something we could call 'political rehabilitation', the way the commies used to do it. We could say that the Templeton Foundation's principal function is political rehabilitation. There is just nothing like a couple of million dollars to turn the study of what comes out of the mouths of the pig ignorant into something deemed respectable.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Aug 11, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2325  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:

Mine goes to 'eleven'.

Now that's an amp.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2326  Postby John Platko » Aug 11, 2016 7:17 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
John Platko wrote:Deeming is a very important operation for flushing out the supernatural.

Indeed, but there's deeming and then there's some poor dim fuck just being too fucking stupid or uneducated to find the right name for whatever some poor dim fuck is deeming 'supernatural'. Beyond that, there's saying 'supernatural' while deeming otherwise. That's not exactly lying, or lying to oneself, or anything like that, but using fancy language to describe the speech productions that emerge from a state of pig-ignorance is something we could call 'political rehabilitation', the way the commies used to do it. We could say that the Templeton Foundation's principal function is political rehabilitation. There is just nothing like a couple of million dollars to turn the study of what comes out of the mouths of the pig ignorant into something deemed respectable.

It doesn't hurt to jazz up the respectability of the "couple of million dollars" with a bit of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqoIHkASer4
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2327  Postby VazScep » Aug 12, 2016 6:27 pm

John Platko wrote:Or more technically phrased:
I hear that if you put two coconuts to your ears and babble into a twig, cargo will miraculously arrive.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2328  Postby John Platko » Aug 12, 2016 6:34 pm

VazScep wrote:
I hear that if you put two coconuts to your ears and babble into a twig, cargo will miraculously arrive.

:scratch: A home remedy for removing ear wax? Not exactly a placebo. :nono:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2329  Postby VazScep » Aug 12, 2016 6:38 pm

John Platko wrote:
VazScep wrote:

Maybe I should have put it in technical terms.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2330  Postby John Platko » Aug 12, 2016 6:47 pm

VazScep wrote:
John Platko wrote:
VazScep wrote:

How much more technical can you get with what to do with two coconuts and a twig?
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2331  Postby VazScep » Aug 12, 2016 6:52 pm

John Platko wrote:
VazScep wrote:
John Platko wrote:
VazScep wrote:I hear that if you put two coconuts to your ears and babble into a twig, cargo will miraculously arrive.

How much more technical can you get with what to do with two coconuts and a twig?
I'm sure I could phrase it in terms of set theory and throw in some symbols. Then profit, right?
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2332  Postby John Platko » Aug 12, 2016 7:17 pm

VazScep wrote:
John Platko wrote:
VazScep wrote:
John Platko wrote:

I'm sure I could phrase it in terms of set theory and throw in some symbols. Then profit, right?

I have no idea how much profit you are capable of squeezing out of two coconuts and a twig.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2333  Postby VazScep » Aug 12, 2016 7:24 pm

EXACTLY :o
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2334  Postby John Platko » Aug 12, 2016 7:27 pm

VazScep wrote:EXACTLY :o

:thumbup:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2335  Postby lucek » Aug 14, 2016 1:13 am

Ah cargo cults. Is the claim now that indigenous peoples of the pacific are better off for mimicking air traffic controllers to have goods come out of the sky when none will come?
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2336  Postby John Platko » Aug 14, 2016 3:37 pm

lucek wrote:Ah cargo cults. Is the claim now that indigenous peoples of the pacific are better off for mimicking air traffic controllers to have goods come out of the sky when none will come?

Pragmatism!
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism