Colour

Split from 'Non-human animals as moral subjects'

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Colour

#601  Postby zoon » May 08, 2017 8:44 am

GrahamH wrote:
zoon wrote:To say that a London bus is not really red is normally to imply that it’s some other colour, not that there’s something inherently subjective about colour terms.

To be clear, I have not stated that "a London bus is not really red". Rather, I have pointed to problems in claiming that "a London bus is actually red", which is still an unclear meaning unless we take the "most people will agree it is red" line.

In the very general way you are stating this, it’s not just a problem for colour terms but for all words, the meaning of any word is unclear unless we take the “most people will agree” line. A word does not have meaning as an intrinsic physical property, it only has meaning in so far as a human brain has processed it (in ways we don’t understand), and it’s only useful for communication if enough human brains process it in the same way.

Perhaps the more accurate point about colours is that e.g. the colour of a bus is a combined property of the chemicals in the bus’s paint, and of normal lighting conditions and normal human brains, it’s not, scientifically, a simple property of the bus. But the colour is then still objective, in the way that it’s an objective fact that a normal human brain has hippocampi and optic nerves. This way of looking at it avoids the philosophical problems of subjectivity versus objectivity. If we start trying to pin down the meanings of words without assuming a high level of intersubjective agreement, we get into trouble, we have to question the fundamentals of our thinking and communication. Perhaps they should be questioned (as jamest does, I agree with his questioning but not his answer), but this is going further than the question of why the colour of an object is treated differently from e.g. its mass.
zoon

Print view this post

#602  Postby GrahamH » May 08, 2017 9:33 am

zoon wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
zoon wrote:To say that a London bus is not really red is normally to imply that it’s some other colour, not that there’s something inherently subjective about colour terms.

To be clear, I have not stated that "a London bus is not really red". Rather, I have pointed to problems in claiming that "a London bus is actually red", which is still an unclear meaning unless we take the "most people will agree it is red" line.

In the very general way you are stating this, it’s not just a problem for colour terms but for all words, the meaning of any word is unclear unless we take the “most people will agree” line. A word does not have meaning as an intrinsic physical property, it only has meaning in so far as a human brain has processed it (in ways we don’t understand), and it’s only useful for communication if enough human brains process it in the same way.

Perhaps the more accurate point about colours is that e.g. the colour of a bus is a combined property of the chemicals in the bus’s paint, and of normal lighting conditions and normal human brains, it’s not, scientifically, a simple property of the bus. But the colour is then still objective, in the way that it’s an objective fact that a normal human brain has hippocampi and optic nerves. This way of looking at it avoids the philosophical problems of subjectivity versus objectivity. If we start trying to pin down the meanings of words without assuming a high level of intersubjective agreement, we get into trouble, we have to question the fundamentals of our thinking and communication. Perhaps they should be questioned (as jamest does, I agree with his questioning but not his answer), but this is going further than the question of why the colour of an object is treated differently from e.g. its mass.

I agree with that. Colour is complicated and not just about the bus, but it is about the bus. I disagree with talk of "noumenal colour of the bus".
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#603  Postby DavidMcC » May 08, 2017 2:42 pm

zoon wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

A) You appear to be referring to perceptual colour when you say "colour".
B) You then go off at a tangent, and talk about the meaning of words in general! This I see as almost a derail, and one that was not prompted by anything said before in the thread!
Please try to stay on topic.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#604  Postby romansh » May 08, 2017 2:59 pm

GrahamH wrote: I agree with that. Colour is complicated and not just about the bus, but it is about the bus. I disagree with talk of "noumenal colour of the bus".

I am not sure what you disagree about noumenal colour? Is it because it does not exist. You brought the phrase Noumenal reality into the conversation. I don't think you are suggesting colour is not a reality? I don't think you are suggesting noumena don't exist. I would agree whole heartedly our access to noumena is limited ... and that in part is what I am arguing for.

But our scientific description of colour is a more detailed and perhaps more accurate description of the noumena around colour than just saying the bus's/chair's surface is red.

I am certainly not reifying red (perception thereof?) ... quite the opposite. I don't understand why you keep suggesting this.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#605  Postby romansh » May 08, 2017 3:02 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

And yet this thread is about whether perceptual colour matches the colour of a surface.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#606  Postby GrahamH » May 08, 2017 4:01 pm

romansh wrote:
GrahamH wrote: I agree with that. Colour is complicated and not just about the bus, but it is about the bus. I disagree with talk of "noumenal colour of the bus".

I am not sure what you disagree about noumenal colour? Is it because it does not exist. You brought the phrase Noumenal reality into the conversation. I don't think you are suggesting colour is not a reality? I don't think you are suggesting noumena don't exist. I would agree whole heartedly our access to noumena is limited ... and that in part is what I am arguing for.

But our scientific description of colour is a more detailed and perhaps more accurate description of the noumena around colour than just saying the bus's/chair's surface is red.

I am certainly not reifying red (perception thereof?) ... quite the opposite. I don't understand why you keep suggesting this.

My objection is elementary. Colour is how we see the world. Colour vision is sensory phenomena, so it can't be noumena, can it?
We don't have observations of noumena, by definition. Observations are phenomenal. Also by definition noumena are real. If we accet the concept we must accept that noumena are real. We don't have to accept the concept.

I mentioned noumena because you refer to "actually red". I'm not sure about "colour is a reality". We perceive colour and that perception seems to refer to 'real world properties' in the world certainly beyond individual perception.

You seem to be asking if your phenomena of perceived colour (qualia) is the same as the unseen noumena of the bus.

romansh wrote:Does the noumenal colour of the bus match my red perception of the bus?

Did you mean match =" correlates with" or "identical to"? Because the latter is reifying colour qualia.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#607  Postby romansh » May 08, 2017 4:25 pm

GrahamH wrote:
romansh wrote:Does the noumenal colour of the bus match my red perception of the bus?

Did you mean match =" correlates with" or "identical to"? Because the latter is reifying colour qualia.

Closer to identical with.
I am not sure how saying my perception of colour probably does not match reality (noumena, actuality etc) is reifying colour qualia.

So in this sense colour is an illusion. I don't see what the big deal is in this. It certainly is not worth 30 pages of discussion.
I am not saying the physics and biochemistry of colour vision don't exist.

I agree the phenomenon of colour vision is at best a reflection or perhaps a correlate of the noumenon.
So we appear to be saying the same thing. (Over and over again)
romansh

Print view this post

#608  Postby DavidMcC » May 08, 2017 4:33 pm

romansh wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

And yet this thread is about whether perceptual colour matches the colour of a surface.

Don't be paranoid. I wasn't trying to claim that you were wrong there. It was in the (B) para that I was trying to make a point about not going off topic.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#609  Postby romansh » May 08, 2017 4:36 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
romansh wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Don't be paranoid. I wasn't trying to claim that you were wrong there. It was in the (B) para that I was trying to make a point about not going off topic.

I don't think they are totally unrelated.
But what caused you to even mention point A then?
romansh

Print view this post

#610  Postby DavidMcC » May 08, 2017 4:43 pm

romansh wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
romansh wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

I don't think they are totally unrelated.
Only in your mind, I think.
But what caused you to even mention point A then?

Just to clarify, since you did not qualify the word, "colour", and it had already been established that such qualification was necessary. Ask Graham.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#611  Postby romansh » May 08, 2017 4:53 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Just to clarify, since you did not qualify the word, "colour", and it had already been established that such qualification was necessary. Ask Graham.

And the point of the thread is ... does the other kind exist and if it does is it the same as the perceptual colour?
romansh

Print view this post

#612  Postby GrahamH » May 08, 2017 5:18 pm

romansh wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Closer to identical with.
I am not sure how saying my perception of colour probably does not match reality (noumena, actuality etc) is reifying colour qualia.

So in this sense colour is an illusion. I don't see what the big deal is in this. It certainly is not worth 30 pages of discussion.
I am not saying the physics and biochemistry of colour vision don't exist.

I agree the phenomenon of colour vision is at best a reflection or perhaps a correlate of the noumenon.
So we appear to be saying the same thing. (Over and over again)

Ah, so your point is that you don't think your perception of colour is identical with reality. I had the impression that you thought it was identical, or should be. Sorry for that misunderstanding. OK, in some sense we could say all perception is "illusion" but not in the sense we normally use the word, where other people don't see it, or if we look at it another way we can see it more clearly. It's just how perception works. The perception of a thing is a reference to it, keyed to it, not identical with it. It doesn't mean there is no thing at all.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#613  Postby romansh » May 08, 2017 5:39 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Ah, so your point is that you don't think your perception of colour is identical with reality. I had the impression that you thought it was identical, or should be. Sorry for that misunderstanding. .

Err yes ... but no problem. :)

GrahamH wrote:OK, in some sense we could say all perception is "illusion" but not in the sense we normally use the word, where other people don't see it, or if we look at it another way we can see it more clearly. It's just how perception works. The perception of a thing is a reference to it, keyed to it, not identical with it. It doesn't mean there is no thing at all.

Again I have tried to be clear ... illusion ie not as it seems.
I agree in some cases people use illusion as a synonym for delusion. But I definitely don't mean it in that sense.
So going back to the subject that spawned this thread we observe morality as a phenomenon. Does it even make sense to think of it as a noumenon in that morality is what it seems?

But existence, it could be argued, is not what it seems. I agree existence exists ... by definition.
romansh

Print view this post

#614  Postby DavidMcC » May 08, 2017 7:33 pm

romansh wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

And the point of the thread is ... does the other kind exist and if it does is it the same as the perceptual colour?

It sounds like you didn't read my post on physical and perceptual colour.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#615  Postby DavidMcC » May 09, 2017 8:42 am

romansh wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

That is like asking whether, say, light is rhe same as sight! One exists in the environment, the other is our way of sensing it. So it is with physical colour and perceptual colour, or even sound and hearing. This should be obvious, yet it isn't to you, for some reason. :scratch:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#616  Postby DavidMcC » May 09, 2017 9:16 am

DavidMcC wrote:
romansh wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

That is like asking whether, say, light is the same as sight! One exists in the environment, the other is our way of sensing it. So it is with physical colour and perceptual colour, or even sound and hearing. This should be obvious, yet it isn't to you, for some reason. :scratch:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#617  Postby archibald » May 09, 2017 9:55 am

DavidMcC wrote:
romansh wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

It sounds like you didn't read my post on physical and perceptual colour.

I tend to agree that your separation into physical and perceptual seems to be the most useful way of describing the issue, not least because it's pretty much the way I was thinking when writing my post #552 :

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/philo ... l#p2550028
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#618  Postby DavidMcC » May 09, 2017 10:49 am

archibald wrote:How about.....

There is, almost certainly it seems, something objectively 'out there' (and of the bus) and we call our experience of it (via light and electro-chemical brain signals) red?

I'm not even suggesting the objective-out-there-thing has to be static or fixed. I doubt there's much in the universe which is ultimately not in a state of flux. As such, I would expect that the boundaries between red and not red are fuzzy, as regards when we would recognise and label a distinction. This is probably already obvious and non-controversial.

As such, no, there would be no 'red' out there, anywhere, including as part of the bus. But there would still be 'something' out there (of the thing we perceive and label as a bus) and we would, to cite a recently lapsed member of the forum, be receivers of at least partial or approximate information about it via a transfer medium, with our brains as the back wall of Plato's Cave.

Might this allow us to differentiate between on the one hand 'illusions' which are so-called because nothing we experience subjectively is what it objectively is (see romansh's article on everything being a hallucination),

It is highly inappropriate to say that "everything is a hallucination", because hallucinations are, by definition, never rooted in the outside world, they are always derived from the brain of the hallucinator.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#619  Postby archibald » May 09, 2017 11:37 am

DavidMcC wrote:It is highly inappropriate to say that "everything is a hallucination", because hallucinations are, by definition, never rooted in the outside world, they are always derived from the brain of the hallucinator.

Fair enough, hallucination might not be the best word. I might have been better to stick with illusion, and split it into two types (those rooted in/correlated to a reality and those not).

Actually, I'm not even sure that dichotomy covers it.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#620  Postby DavidMcC » May 09, 2017 12:30 pm

archibald wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:It is highly inappropriate to say that "everything is a hallucination", because hallucinations are, by definition, never rooted in the outside world, they are always derived from the brain of the hallucinator.

Fair enough, hallucination might not be the best word. I might have been better to stick with illusion, and split it into two types (those rooted in/correlated to a reality and those not).

Actually, I'm not even sure that dichotomy covers it.

It depends how you define "illusion". To use the word correctly, we have to qualify it, by making it a noun-phrase - either call it a physiological, cognitive or literal illusion. See here:
http://study.com/academy/lesson/what-are-optical-illusions-definition-types.html
Scroll down past the "Create an account" bit!

EDIT: The front page does not include physiological illusions, but those have already been covered in this thread.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy