Defeating Solipsism

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Defeating Solipsism

#321  Postby Nicko » Nov 04, 2013 11:59 am

Little Idiot wrote:
Nicko wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:The significance of an individual X being shot in the head while being asleep or otherwise unaware is that the individual so treated is now dead, the world does not stop in a solipsistic 'poof' but continues as it would in a materialist model, sans-individual X.

How is this so?
Simply that the cosmos does not depend upon the observation or experience of any one individual, duh!

In my model, the World Idea which individuals interact with is not sole property of any individual.

You are, however, running into the same problem that all people who reject the existence of a reality that is non-contingent upon being observed encounter and fail to surmount. Namely, you reject that model of reality as being based on an undemonstrated - and undemonstrable - assumption. This is only a valid criticism if the model you are advancing is based upon fewer than one - that is zero - undemonstrated assumptions. Every "non-materialist" model I have ever encountered - including yours - fails this test.

Good point, and well made.
However, my response is two fold;
1. that my model does not require any assumptions at all to explain my own experience.
2. is it really 'an assumption' at all?

I think it does require assumptions; and a good few of them.

Try to look at it this way.

You have doubtless heard the old saw, "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its probably a duck."

We can expand this - as apparently it isn't clear enough for you already - to say that if one experiences the perception of a duck and that perception is indistinguishable from a duck, one's perception of a duck is probably caused by the presence of a duck. It's just the simplest explanation.

Does this mean that one's perception of a duck is definitely beyond all doubt caused by the existence of a duck?

Of course not.

One could be suffering from a form of mental illness that causes the sufferer to perceive ducks when there are no actual ducks present. The perceived duck could be a machine cunningly constructed to look, walk and quack like the genuine article. It could be a hologram. It could be an illusion created by a magical fucking wizard. Or a shapeshifting alien or pixie or some shit like that.

One could create an infinite number of theories that would render the assumption that one is currently confronted with an avian of the family Anatidae - or any other perceived experience for that matter - false if they were true. They would all share something in common, however: they are all more complex and convoluted than, "Hey! There's a duck over there." This is because all of them would have to explain the perception of the duck's presence plus some other stuff.

Similarly, one can create all sorts of weird non-falsifiable hypotheses in the vein of Idealism and solipsism. They all require more assumptions than the contention that our perceptions of a world that appears to exist independently of our perceptions are pretty much accurate, as they have to explain why our continued experience of those perceptions being accurate is "really" false.

We can each know that we ourselves exist (cogito ergo sum).

Moreover, we know that we experience perceptions. These perceptions are of a world that appears to conform to the - to use your term - "physicalist" paradigm. That is, we can study the behavior of the world using that paradigm and get reliable, useful results thereby. Any paradigm that said that this was not what was "really" going on would need to account for why it so consistently appears to be going on. You actually admit this when you say:

Only when I wish to explain other experiencers and intersubjective agreement between subjects do I need to make 'the assumption' you refer to.

The point is that it is not a matter of you "wishing" to do these things. If you are proposing a system that purports to account for reality, then any ad hoc assumptions that need to be tacked on in order for that system to account for reality become integral to the system. One might as well argue that petrol is not needed in a car unless you wish to drive it somewhere.

Of course I want to drive it somewhere; it's a fucking car.

Of course your system needs to account for reality; it's a system that purports to do just that.

This idea that your undetectable, self-deceiving, self-deluding, multiple-personality-disordered "World Idea" - or something similar to it - is not an integral assumption of Idealism just beggars belief. Idealism does not work without such an entity.

And assuming that a bizarrely-incomprehensible entity not revealed by our perceptions exists is a far bigger assumption than assuming that the world revealed by our perceptions exists is.
Last edited by Nicko on Nov 04, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#322  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 04, 2013 12:10 pm

juju7 wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote: Like I said you need it to support the other mental crap you invent.

Why should anything you say matter?

It all boils down to matter eventually.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#323  Postby Little Idiot » Nov 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Nicko wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
Nicko wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:The significance of an individual X being shot in the head while being asleep or otherwise unaware is that the individual so treated is now dead, the world does not stop in a solipsistic 'poof' but continues as it would in a materialist model, sans-individual X.

How is this so?
Simply that the cosmos does not depend upon the observation or experience of any one individual, duh!

In my model, the World Idea which individuals interact with is not sole property of any individual.

You are, however, running into the same problem that all people who reject the existence of a reality that is non-contingent upon being observed encounter and fail to surmount. Namely, you reject that model of reality as being based on an undemonstrated - and undemonstrable - assumption. This is only a valid criticism if the model you are advancing is based upon fewer than one - that is zero - undemonstrated assumptions. Every "non-materialist" model I have ever encountered - including yours - fails this test.

Good point, and well made.
However, my response is two fold;
1. that my model does not require any assumptions at all to explain my own experience.
2. is it really 'an assumption' at all?

I think it does require assumptions; and a good few of them.

Try to look at it this way.

You have doubtless heard the old saw, "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its probably a duck."

One could create an infinite number of theories that would render the assumption that one is currently confronted with an avian of the family Anatidae - or any other perceived experience for that matter - false if they were true. They would all share something in common, however: they are all more complex and convoluted than, "Hey! There's a duck over there." This is because all of them would have to explain the perception of the duck's presence plus some other stuff.

Similarly, one can create all sorts of weird non-falsifiable hypotheses in the vein of Idealism and solipsism. They all require more assumptions than the contention that our perceptions of a world that appears to exist independently of our perceptions are pretty much accurate, as they have to explain why our continued experience of those perceptions being accurate is "really" false.

Of course I agree that 'its probably a duck'
But thats not the issue, as I dont say its not a duck, you dont need to convince me its a duck. You should be presenting a convincing case that this duck is more resasonably accounted for by the physicalist metaphysic than the idealist. You seem to think this is so as there are less assumptions in the physicalist model - a point you have asserted but not demonstrated.
1. there is experience of a duck - therefore there is an experienced duck. The subject and the object are inseparable parts of the process of experience.
2. there is experience of a duck - therefore there is an experienced duck and an observer independent duck which the experienced duck represents through the intermediary of the sensory system.

How does 2. which has to introduce a whole new category of observer independent objects entail less assumptions?

Idealism agrees that 'hey there is a duck over there' - but does not add a new ontic type (the observer independent duck) to understand this.

We can each know that we ourselves exist (cogito ergo sum).

Moreover, we know that we experience perceptions. These perceptions are of a world that appears to conform to the - to use your term - "physicalist" paradigm. That is, we can study the behavior of the world using that paradigm and get reliable, useful results thereby. Any paradigm that said that this was not what was "really" going on would need to account for why it so consistently appears to be going on. You actually admit this when you say:

Only when I wish to explain other experiencers and intersubjective agreement between subjects do I need to make 'the assumption' you refer to.

The point is that it is not a matter of you "wishing" to do these things. If you are proposing a system that purports to account for reality, then any ad hoc assumptions that need to be tacked on in order for that system to account for reality become integral to the system. One might as well argue that petrol is not needed in a car unless you wish to drive it somewhere.

Of course I want to drive it somewhere; it's a fucking car.

Of course your system needs to account for reality; it's a system that purports to do just that.

This idea that your undetectable, self-deceiving, self-deluding, multiple-personality-disordered "World Idea" - or something similar to it - is not an integral assumption of Idealism just beggars belief. Idealism does not work without such an entity.

And assuming that a bizarrely-incomprehensible entity not revealed by our perceptions exists is a far bigger assumption than assuming that the world revealed by our perceptions exists is.

Its not an assumption if it is a logical conclusion, simple as that. If you can't follow that argument as I state it, I probably cant help you much.
Mentalism doesn't start by assuming World Mind.

Should I point out that in my model (mentalism) it is not undetectable, self-deceiving, self-deluding, nor multiple-personality-disordered - (or are we too busy bashing strawmen to address my actual model).
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#324  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Little Idiot wrote:...

Then why does the WM enter the picture at all?

I think you are confusing "logical conclusion of"
with
"explanation for"
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#325  Postby Little Idiot » Nov 04, 2013 2:36 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:

It certainly is not there at the start.
Only after the assumption of a 'non-mental world' responsible for the experience of the one observer (me) has been overcome, when 'all I experience is the content of my mind' has become the basis upon which one seeks to account for the interaction of multiple observers with the same world does it comes up. Thats why I say only as direct consequence of (or, if you prefer an explanation for) the mental nature of my experience and all similar (all be it possibly hypothetical) observers.

with
"explanation for"

Maybe your right.
After all, we know nothing (except that we dont know everything, paradoxically enough) and are just apes seeking models to explain what we are and how we experience.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#326  Postby GrahamH » Nov 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Little Idiot wrote:

Its not an assumption if it is a logical conclusion, simple as that. If you can't follow that argument as I state it, I probably cant help you much.

Should I point out that in my model (mentalism) it is not undetectable, self-deceiving, self-deluding, nor multiple-personality-disordered - (or are we too busy bashing strawmen to address my actual model).

I take it you mean WM is not a starting assumption. Granted.
WM is a fix-up. You need to assume this because there is nothing in experience of mind to account for any aspect of the world we observe. You have no option but to put the creation of the world onto another mind, and assume that mind can do things no known mind can do.

Now you have the awkward situation of a super-mind that invents everything you experience but seems incapable of elementary communication.

WM is undetectable.

I'll grant you that we have no idea what WM might think, if it thinks, and whether it deludes itself or not. It is un-knowable.

Multiple personality is tricky, since you identify individual subjectivity and WM with a 'wave n the ocean' metaphor.
This fails. The key point to subjectivity is integration of a subject. If there is nothing but an ocean of subjectivity inventing obects in experiences then what divides this awareness into individuals? How can a swell of awareness in a sea of awareness be unaware? It seems to me that individuation of subjects within all-encompassing subjectivity is a huge and incoherent assumption that you have to make.

Occam is not your friend.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#327  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:

Only after the assumption of a 'non-mental world' responsible for the experience of the one observer (me) has been overcome, when 'all I experience is the content of my mind' has become the basis upon which one seeks to account for the interaction of multiple observers with the same world does it comes up. Thats why I say only as direct consequence of (or, if you prefer an explanation for) the mental nature of my experience and all similar (all be it possibly hypothetical) observers.

with
"explanation for"

Maybe your right.
After all, we know nothing (except that we dont know everything, paradoxically enough) and are just apes seeking models to explain what we are and how we experience.

let's see.

Only after the assumption of a 'non-mental world' responsible for the experience of the one observer (me) has been overcome,
when 'all I experience is the content of my mind'
has become the basis upon which one seeks
to account for the interaction of multiple observers
with the same world does it comes up.

Thats why I say only as direct consequence of (or, if you prefer an explanation for) the mental nature of my experience and all similar (all be it possibly hypothetical) observers.

So you first accept, as an absolute truth, the mental world bit.
Then you have some things to 'account for'
Then you invent the world mind to fit that accounting?

So how do you accept that first part without the second part to account?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#328  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Seems like you got the logical argument ass backwards here.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#329  Postby GrahamH » Nov 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:

I think it's comes in a bit sooner than that.

Some ponderer woke form a vivid dream and asked the questions most children probably ask when that happens. 'If a dream can seem so real how do I know this waking world isn't also a dream?'

At this point one might be tempted to assume that dreams are some 'pure product of mind' and jump to an inkling about idealism.

As soon as some thought is given to this notion it starts to unravel and something else has to be added to impose some consistency and inter-subjective agreement. Idealism without something to underpin experience is incoherent. Some may posit that 'there is only experience' but that doesn't make sense. What would it mean?

So you get a World Mind or 'God's subconscious' or other wild and baseless assumptions to try to cover this gaping hole.
I don't think idealism gets off the ground without it.
Last edited by GrahamH on Nov 04, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#330  Postby Little Idiot » Nov 04, 2013 2:55 pm

GrahamH wrote:

Some ponder woke form a vivid dream and asked the questions most children probably ask when that happens. 'If a dream can seem so real how do I know this waking world isn't also a dream?'

At this point one might be tempted to assume that dreams are some 'pure product of mind' and jump to an inkling about idealism.

As soon as some thought is given to this notion it starts to unravel and something else has to be added to impose some consistency and inter-subjective agreement. Idealism without something to underpin experience is incoherent. Some may posit that 'there is only experience' but that doesn't make sense. What would it mean?

So you get a World Mind or 'God's subconscious' or other wild and baseless assumptions to try to cover this gaping hole.

But you contradict yourself.
Your point (I believe) is that WM comes up before I suggested it does. You justify this because ideamism uses it to expalin inter-subjective agreement.
That is, however the very thing I suggested it comes up to explain.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#331  Postby Little Idiot » Nov 04, 2013 2:57 pm

(BTW Grahamh, take care with quotes, its tough to respond when your quotes are messed up.)
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#332  Postby juju7 » Nov 04, 2013 2:57 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
juju7 wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote: Like I said you need it to support the other mental crap you invent.

Only insofar as you, being a figment of my imagination, continue to be of amusement to me.
:smug: After which, your continued existence is of no consequence.
juju7
Banned Sockpuppet

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#333  Postby GrahamH » Nov 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Some ponder woke form a vivid dream and asked the questions most children probably ask when that happens. 'If a dream can seem so real how do I know this waking world isn't also a dream?'

Your point (I believe) is that WM comes up before I suggested it does. You justify this because ideamism uses it to expalin inter-subjective agreement.

Your presentation suggests is viable without it, and WM is some sort of conclusion. I don;t think so. If you were to try and set out some premises to argue for idealism you would need WM in there.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#334  Postby Little Idiot » Nov 04, 2013 3:04 pm

juju7 wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
juju7 wrote:

Only insofar as you, being a figment of my imagination, continue to be of amusement to me.

Does your own existence have any consequence?

If your answer is no, then you are entitled to (some would say wrongly) suggest his does not.
If you answer yes, then why is yours of more consequence than his?

I suggest your existence is of consequence to you, and his is of consequence to him. I may be wrong on both of these, but I contend that mine is of significance to me, and further more, also to those close to me.
This is of course only a relative significance, not an absolute significance - there is no significance beyond the individual (or collection of individuals, which is just multiple instances of the same thing) but that does not dismiss the relative significance to the individual, it merely provides a context of meaningless for the relative significance.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#335  Postby Little Idiot » Nov 04, 2013 3:08 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Your presentation suggests is viable without it, and WM is some sort of conclusion. I don;t think so. If you were to try and set out some premises to argue for idealism you would need WM in there.

That depends, do you mean a full set of starting premises and derived points and conclusions, or a full set of starting premises?

I simply say it is not a starting premise, but a later derivation.

I also say the full set of starting premises for idealism is 'there is experience of something' ONLY.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#336  Postby GrahamH » Nov 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Little Idiot wrote:I also say the full set of starting premises for idealism is 'there is experience of something' ONLY.

That doesn't get you anywhere.
You need something about minds having a role in making experience, and if you try anything about how minds and experience relate you have to make lots of assumptions. Why don't you to define some premises that entail the conclusion that experiences of the world are made solely by mind(s). What does it look like?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#337  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 04, 2013 3:24 pm

juju7 wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
juju7 wrote:

Cheers then, my fellow figment.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#338  Postby Little Idiot » Nov 04, 2013 3:28 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Little Idiot wrote:I also say the full set of starting premises for idealism is 'there is experience of something' ONLY.

That doesn't get you anywhere.
You need something about minds having a role in making experience, and if you try anything about how minds and experience relate you have to make lots of assumptions. Why don't you to define some premises that entail the conclusion that experiences of the world are made solely by mind(s). What does it look like?

Talk of minds constructing experience is just a linguistic tool to investigate and describe what we can say about experience. Its not really about minds at all, but about the process of awareness which allows experience (when a subject becomes aware of an object). The word 'mind' is just a descriptor for an individual instance of awareness, for the subject part of the process and allows us to talk about and analyse one part of the dynamic system as-if it was a stand alone unit, independent of the system.
But having done that analysis of mind, it always comes back to the whole interactive system experience, not to mind.
Its all OK.
Little Idiot

Print view this post

#339  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 04, 2013 3:30 pm

Little Idiot wrote:
I also say the full set of starting premises for idealism is 'there is experience of something' ONLY.

Why is that the full set? There is persistent experience, too. You acknowledge the things you can't change as either managed by the Overmind, part of a world being constructed for you moment to moment, or else an external world not suitable to ignore.

Little Idiot wrote:
Talk of minds constructing experience is just a linguistic tool to investigate and describe what we can say about experience. Its not really about minds at all, but about the process of awareness which allows experience (when a subject becomes aware of an object). The word 'mind' is just a descriptor for an individual instance of awareness, for the subject part of the process and allows us to talk about and analyse one part of the dynamic system as-if it was a stand alone unit, independent of the system.
But having done that analysis of mind, it always comes back to the whole interactive system experience, not to mind.

Here, we can see you backing away from radical mentalism. Until next time. Pick up the tone arm and take it from the top.

You're welcome to your very personal instance of awareness, until you want to communicate with anyone else. Normally, what people in your shoes do is not talk to people conversant with empirical scientific results. In the other thread, you openly admit that even a summary of general relativity is going to leave the simpler approaches behind. In that context, mentalism is great for people who don't do mathematics, and consequently don't handle well mathematical accounts of observations.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#340  Postby romansh » Nov 04, 2013 3:53 pm

GrahamH wrote:
If you could kill all the other people you still wouldn't know if you were a physical being or a solipsistic mind or a character in a Jamest style idealism or an AI entity in a world simulation or any other metaphysical speculation.

Essentially I agree with you Graham.

I am still trying to figure out is there an experiment we can do that would eliminate a solipsistic source of our experience.

Much in the same way we can logically (at least to some extent) eliminate non-transcendent loving gods as a reality.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy