Free Will

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Free Will

#6761  Postby archibald » Feb 25, 2017 11:58 am

No offense zoon, but I can hardly imagine a worse fudge. :)

First, I don't think the two definitions are as separate as you think. Both use 'external' influence as the deciding criteria, and external is not the only source of cause.

Second, did you notice that you blended them when you said that that the second was 'compatible with determinism', which is the basis of the first one. It might have been better if you had just said that the second exists (or better still is taken to exist) for practical purposes and left it at that.

I can see why you would want to do that, but I don't think it clarifies all that much. In how many legal cases does the issue boil down to coercion by another person? I can't think of too many off the top of my head, and in cases of outright coercion I'm guessing there is already some room to manoeuvre.
Last edited by archibald on Feb 25, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#6762  Postby jamest » Feb 25, 2017 11:59 am

archibald wrote:The case against free will is one of the simpler arguments. In a nutshell, it's impossible, because it would defy the laws of physics.

Short and sweet.

Counter arguments welcome.

Yeah, well guess who wrote the laws of physics.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6763  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 25, 2017 12:02 pm

archibald wrote:
I can see why you would want to do that, but I don't think it clarifies all that much. In how many legal cases does the issue boil down to coercion by another person? I can't think of too many off the top of my head, and in cases of outright coercion I'm guessing there is already some room to manoeuvre.

I think that's a good question, Arch. We don't really care when it's not a legal matter. When it's not, it's nothing more than a family argument or a dispute between married people or equivalent.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Feb 25, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#6764  Postby archibald » Feb 25, 2017 12:03 pm

jamest wrote:
archibald wrote:The case against free will is one of the simpler arguments. In a nutshell, it's impossible, because it would defy the laws of physics.

Short and sweet.

Yes, of course I meant the laws as in what is written down, didn't I, James?

How perceptive you aren't, especially when you aren't presenting a counterargument.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#6765  Postby jamest » Feb 25, 2017 12:09 pm

archibald wrote:
jamest wrote:

Short and sweet.

How perceptive you aren't, especially when you aren't presenting a counterargument.

Dude, try caffeinated coffee and see if it does anything.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6766  Postby archibald » Feb 25, 2017 12:45 pm

jamest wrote:Dude, try caffeinated coffee and see if it does anything.

Still no counterargument. Hm.

Surely, you can manage something at least. I know the bald assertions about idealism are tired and worn out and never got beyond wafting through the outer hairs of the arse from which they emanated, but you could still squeeze a puff out once more, just for old times sake, surely? C'mon James, we know you have it in you. We can smell it coming since you joined the discussion.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#6767  Postby scott1328 » Feb 25, 2017 1:40 pm

romansh wrote:
romansh wrote:
scott1328 wrote:lies and misrepresentation. Another of your modes of argument

Do you or do you not believe in perpetual motion?

Bump

scott1328 wrote:Depending upon definitions, "perpetual motion" can be defined in a coherent, consistent manner. Depending upon the formulation, "perpetual motion" exists or doesn't

But for the sake of clarity, and because I know you and Archibald will purposefully misrepresent me, perpetual motion of the kind you are thinking is impossible.

You still owe me an apology for lying.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6768  Postby zoon » Feb 25, 2017 2:59 pm

archibald wrote:No offense zoon, but I can hardly imagine a worse fudge. :)

First, I don't think the two definitions are as separate as you think. Both use 'external' influence as the deciding criteria, and external is not the only source of cause.

Second, did you notice that you blended them when you said that that the second was 'compatible with determinism', which is the basis of the first one. It might have been better if you had just said that the second exists (or better still is taken to exist) for practical purposes and left it at that.

I’m agreeing clearly enough with your main point, that free will in the sense of freedom from any physical causation is highly unlikely to exist.

In post #6150, you said that morality, holding people responsible for their actions, need not be very different in practice if free will is taken not to exist, though it would be based on different foundations:
archibald wrote:……. if we have a morality based on a belief in free will, we are basing it on something (an inner authority) which probably doesn't actually exist.

The way either or any alternative morality plays out or is legislated for may or may not be radically different (though they will be somewhat different) but the underlying principles and justifications (philosophical, empirical, rational, scientific, etc) would arguably differ a lot.

Again, I’m agreeing with you, the practice of holding people responsible and punishing them for infractions of the local rules would probably not change much, while the justification would change, perhaps it would be that it’s necessary for social cohesion, rather than that the person is ultimately guilty and deserving of punishment.

The practice of punishment does involve the question of whether the person being held responsible intended to carry out the action, and whether the intention was coerced. I gather from your post that you would agree with that? – coercion may not be all that common a defence, but it does exist, according to Wikipedia:
Duress in English law is a complete common law defence, operating in favour of those who commit crimes because they are forced or compelled to do so by the circumstances, or the threats of another……………………………
This is an exception to the general principle of criminal law that those who choose to break the law are held responsible for the crimes that they commit. The rationale of the exception is that the choice is not wholly voluntary..

Would you change that part of the law as it is practiced, given that you don’t accept free will? My view is that it should stand, and that “not wholly voluntary” can be a reasonable defence, there is a practical distinction to be made between voluntary and coerced actions, even though there’s no ultimate free will. Am I here going beyond what you suggested above:
“It might have been better if you had just said that the second exists (or better still is taken to exist) for practical purposes and left it at that”?
zoon

Print view this post

#6769  Postby romansh » Feb 25, 2017 3:44 pm

scott1328 wrote:
romansh wrote:
romansh wrote:
scott1328 wrote:lies and misrepresentation. Another of your modes of argument

Do you or do you not believe in perpetual motion?

Bump

scott1328 wrote:Depending upon definitions, "perpetual motion" can be defined in a coherent, consistent manner. Depending upon the formulation, "perpetual motion" exists or doesn't

But for the sake of clarity, and because I know you and Archibald will purposefully misrepresent me, perpetual motion of the kind you are thinking is impossible.

You still owe me an apology for lying.

But I agree we can define things into and out of existence.
edit

So do we need to redefine perpetual motion into something that is possible?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#6770  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 25, 2017 4:05 pm

So, the "free will" debate is over, so we've moved on to perpetual motion, have we? Isn't that ever so slightly off-topic?
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6771  Postby romansh » Feb 25, 2017 4:10 pm

DavidMcC wrote:So, the "free will" debate is over, so we've moved on to perpetual motion, have we? Isn't that ever so slightly off-topic?

Not all ... both flout the laws of thermodynamics and it is relevant to whether Scott has a consistent position of defining free will.

Please do a bit or reading ... Thanks David
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#6772  Postby scott1328 » Feb 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Romansh can you actually state my position without straw manning it?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6773  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 25, 2017 4:23 pm

romansh wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:So, the "free will" debate is over, so we've moved on to perpetual motion, have we? Isn't that ever so slightly off-topic?

Not all ... both flout the laws of thermodynamics and it is relevant to whether Scott has a consistent position of defining free will.

Please do a bit or reading ... Thanks David

No, you are the one who needs to read more. :roll:
You stil bandy about the term, "free will" like candy, without stating what kind of free will you mean.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6774  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 25, 2017 4:27 pm

... Also, I hardly think that floutoing the laws of thermodynamic that the kind of free will that you speak to is sufficient to justify subverting the thread.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6775  Postby romansh » Feb 25, 2017 5:14 pm

scott1328 wrote:Romansh can you actually state my position without straw manning it?

How is asking the question
So do we need to redefine perpetual motion into something that is possible?
Straw manning?

I am presuming that you don't particularly want to redefine perpetual motion or at least as the term is normally used. I understand there might be near perpetual motion systems like tidal energy from the moon but this energy is being dissipated.

So perpetual motion as it commonly used does not apparently need redefining even though it is impossible.
Free will (independent of cause) does need redefining because it is impossible.

This is simply the point I am trying to make.

You don't appear to have a consistent point of view. I find your answers and mode of discussion evasive.
romansh

Print view this post

#6776  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 25, 2017 5:28 pm

romansh wrote:...

That's why I redefined (it in this thread). It is also why I used the phrase "biological free will", to avoid confusion (although that didn't work very well, because other posters simply ignored the difference).
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6777  Postby romansh » Feb 25, 2017 5:38 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

That's why I redefined (it in this thread). It is also why I used the phrase "biological free will", to avoid confusion (although that didn't work very well, because other posters simply ignored the difference).

Then by extension you should redefine perpetual motion ... for that too appears to be impossible.
romansh

Print view this post

#6778  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 25, 2017 5:45 pm

romansh wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Then by extension you should redefine perpetual motion ... for that too appears to be impossible.

No, because it is inherent in its current definition that it is impossible, and most people accept that. OTOH, obviously, no-one would or should apply that standard to free will!.

EDIT: Except those who just want any kind of free will to be impossible (which would include legalistic free will).
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6779  Postby newolder » Feb 25, 2017 6:07 pm

archibald wrote:
jamest wrote:

Short and sweet.

You mean those laws written down that demonstrate how A causes B causes A is not impossible?
linky from 2012.
One of the most deeply rooted concepts in science and in our everyday life is causality; the idea that events in the present are caused by events in the past and, in turn, act as causes for what happens in the future. If an event A is a cause of an effect B, then B cannot be a cause of A. Now theoretical physicists from the University of Vienna and the Université Libre de Bruxelles have shown that in quantum mechanics it is possible to conceive situations in which a single event can be both, a cause and an effect of another one. The findings will be published this week in "Nature Communications".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#6780  Postby romansh » Feb 25, 2017 6:09 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
No, because it is inherent in its current definition that it is impossible, and most people accept that. OTOH, obviously, no-one would or should apply that standard to free will!.

EDIT: Except those who just want any kind of free will to be impossible (which would include legalistic free will).

So just because most people believe in free will we should have a definition that allows them to have free will?

Most people don't believe in perpetual motion so it is OK to have an impossible definition?

So more back on track ... do you believe you can do otherwise, given that all deliberations, experiences, thought mechanisms, environments, etc are determined by a whole bunch quantum phenomena, collapsed wave equations and the like?

And I think we can have a functional legal system without using the phrase "free will".
romansh

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy