Multiple consciousnesses in one body

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Multiple consciousnesses in one body

#401  Postby pl0bs » May 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:Its quite amazing, but humans have brains, and they differ from brains of other animals.

Yes. I know humans have brains, and those brains are rather complex, more complex than others. But I'm not talking about brains. I'm talking about that non-physical stuff you call 'C'.

Can you answer the questions posed?
You know when you just wake up, you may have this sleepy feeling and barely sense the difference between light and dark, you have (almost) no sense of self, you have no memories in mind, no fullblown 3D color vision of 150 different objects around you, etc. That is a simpler conscious state (because less experiences and less variety in them), then if you were completely awake. The ultimate simple conscious state may be a fully undifferentiated experience. The brain is like a prism that diffracts the simple state into the complex human one.

How? I'm asking you how questions here and you are answering with just-so stories.
Your questions have been fully answered, you just cant admit it.
Believing that a lump of meat is capable of "creating experiences" is akin to believing
that leprechauns create gold coins. - UndercoverElephant
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#402  Postby Animavore » May 28, 2015 4:53 pm

pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Yes. I know humans have brains, and those brains are rather complex, more complex than others. But I'm not talking about brains. I'm talking about that non-physical stuff you call 'C'.

Can you answer the questions posed?
You know when you just wake up, you may have this sleepy feeling and barely sense the difference between light and dark, you have (almost) no sense of self, you have no memories in mind, no fullblown 3D color vision of 150 different objects around you, etc. That is a simpler conscious state (because less experiences and less variety in them), then if you were completely awake. The ultimate simple conscious state may be a fully undifferentiated experience. The brain is like a prism that diffracts the simple state into the complex human one.

How? I'm asking you how questions here and you are answering with just-so stories.

Not it hasn't. What you gave is nothing like a how answer. There's no explanation of what 'C' is. There's no mechanism proposed by which the brain diffracts C from a simple state to a complex one. There's no reason given why a human brain is better at this than that of other animals. You haven't proposed how brains and C even relate to one another.

You haven't even begun to answer my questions. My questions demand papers. Experiments. Evidence. Demonstration. Diagrams. Schematics. Falsification. Theory. Hypothesis. Where in your pitiful excuse for an answer have you even touched on any of this?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#403  Postby pl0bs » May 28, 2015 6:03 pm

Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:You know when you just wake up, you may have this sleepy feeling and barely sense the difference between light and dark, you have (almost) no sense of self, you have no memories in mind, no fullblown 3D color vision of 150 different objects around you, etc. That is a simpler conscious state (because less experiences and less variety in them), then if you were completely awake. The ultimate simple conscious state may be a fully undifferentiated experience. The brain is like a prism that diffracts the simple state into the complex human one.

Not it hasn't. What you gave is nothing like a how answer. There's no explanation of what 'C' is. There's no mechanism proposed by which the brain diffracts C from a simple state to a complex one. There's no reason given why a human brain is better at this than that of other animals. You haven't proposed how brains and C even relate to one another.

You haven't even begun to answer my questions. My questions demand papers. Experiments. Evidence. Demonstration. Diagrams. Schematics. Falsification. Theory. Hypothesis. Where in your pitiful excuse for an answer have you even touched on any of this?
Just read any neuroscience paper, it will support my statements.
Believing that a lump of meat is capable of "creating experiences" is akin to believing
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#404  Postby Animavore » May 28, 2015 6:05 pm

pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:

I have read plenty on neuroscience. None of them talk about diffracting C like a prism. That statement doesn't even make any sense with regards to what I know about neuroscience. If you think any neuroscientific paper backs this claim then it's up to you to provide it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#405  Postby newolder » May 28, 2015 6:11 pm

A search on: The brain is like a prism, neuroscience
returned neurobollocks: https://neurobollocks.wordpress.com/201 ... n-mapping/
:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#406  Postby Animavore » May 28, 2015 6:13 pm

There's a "contact neurobollocks" tab. I'm tempted to submit pl0bs' "work".
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#407  Postby pl0bs » May 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:Your questions have been fully answered, you just cant admit it.

I have read plenty on neuroscience. None of them talk about diffracting C like a prism. That statement doesn't even make any sense with regards to what I know about neuroscience. If you think any neuroscientific paper backs this claim then it's up to you to provide it.
Oh? Neuroscience doesnt agree that brain and mind interact? Strokes must be little miracles affecting our souls then.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#408  Postby pl0bs » May 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Feel free to debunk this analogy.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#409  Postby GrahamH » May 28, 2015 9:47 pm

A pl0bs topic hits a new record low.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#410  Postby GrahamH » May 29, 2015 5:09 am

The analogy is debunked-
Discard 'Brain'. Leave it as planet, or pile of shit, or galaxy. Bigger mass = bigger dent. The analogy implies galaxies are hyper conscious entities having their own private subjective experiences of what it's like to be a galaxy, and simultaneously every part with mass must be having its own private experience of what is like to be that individual bit, all the way down to atoms. It implies that Human are less conscious than big rocks.

Also, of course, gravity is not private subjective, so the analogy completely ignores the essential characteristic of consciousness.

As pl0bs like to say 'pwned'.

Back to ignoring pl0bs' utter drivel.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#411  Postby Animavore » May 29, 2015 6:31 am

pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Oh? Neuroscience doesnt agree that brain and mind interact? Strokes must be little miracles affecting our souls then.

Actually, no. It doens't agree that mind and body interact. It doens't say anything about whether mind is something seperate to body. In fact, it seems unlikely.

You still haven't produced the paper which shows that 'C' is a thing in itself and the brain defracts it like a prism; which is what I actually asked you.

You're wasting my time.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#412  Postby Animavore » May 29, 2015 6:33 am

pl0bs wrote:Feel free to debunk this analogy.

Fell free to demonstrate the two are analogous.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#413  Postby GrahamH » May 29, 2015 7:23 am

Animavore wrote:

:this:
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#414  Postby pl0bs » May 29, 2015 7:59 am

GrahamH wrote:The analogy is debunked-
Discard 'Brain'. Leave it as planet, or pile of shit, or galaxy. Bigger mass = bigger dent. The analogy implies galaxies are hyper conscious entities having their own private subjective experiences of what it's like to be a galaxy, and simultaneously every part with mass must be having its own private experience of what is like to be that individual bit, all the way down to atoms. It implies that Human are less conscious than big rocks.

Also, of course, gravity is not private subjective, so the analogy completely ignores the essential characteristic of consciousness.

As pl0bs like to say 'pwned'.

Back to ignoring pl0bs' utter drivel.
Its an analogy. You just half-debunked yourself (not fully!) by not understanding what an analogy is. It being an analogy means i didnt actually say that consciousness = spacetime.

Btw, you are assuming that there is some unchanging core self that is having experiences. Where is your evidence of this?
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#415  Postby pl0bs » May 29, 2015 8:11 am

Animavore wrote:Actually, no. It doens't agree that mind and body interact. It doens't say anything about whether mind is something seperate to body. In fact, it seems unlikely.
So you are saying that mind is physical, yet it doesnt interact with other physical things? How does that work? Is it like a particle that exists in a seperate dimension? Do you have any neuroscience papers to support this?

You still haven't produced the paper which shows that 'C' is a thing in itself and the brain defracts it like a prism; which is what I actually asked you.

You're wasting my time.
Huh, what do you mean C is a "thing in itself"?
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#416  Postby pl0bs » May 29, 2015 8:12 am

Animavore wrote:

Feel free to debunk it.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#417  Postby Animavore » May 29, 2015 8:22 am

pl0bs wrote:So you are saying that mind is physical, yet it doesnt interact with other physical things? How does that work? Is it like a particle that exists in a seperate dimension? Do you have any neuroscience papers to support this?

I can't answer your question because it doesn't reflect what I said at all.

Most papers on neurology say nothing about whether 'mind' is physical or immaterial. They just talk about cause and effect between brain activity and actions of the subject (you see red and this part lights up on the MRI).

pl0bs wrote:Huh, what do you mean C is a "thing in itself"?

What do you mean by it to say C is a thing? Don't try turn your grilling back on me. I'm asking the questions here. You still haven't answered them.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#418  Postby Animavore » May 29, 2015 8:23 am

pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Feel free to debunk it.

Debunk what? You haven't described how they are analogous.

I don't think you really understand this topic at all. I'm not sure what makes you think you have any authority to speak on it. Are you a neurologist?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#419  Postby pl0bs » May 29, 2015 8:30 am

In the analogy above, individual minds are not actually individual. The brain interacts with simple C in such a way that it results in the human perspective. It is constantly bombarded with a neverending stream of different experiences and information, C becomes focused on it, creating the illusion of being a seperate unified entity.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#420  Postby pl0bs » May 29, 2015 8:33 am

Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:So you are saying that mind is physical, yet it doesnt interact with other physical things? How does that work? Is it like a particle that exists in a seperate dimension? Do you have any neuroscience papers to support this?

I can't answer your question because it doesn't reflect what I said at all.

Most papers on neurology say nothing about whether 'mind' is physical or immaterial. They just talk about cause and effect between brain activity and actions of the subject (you see red and this part lights up on the MRI).
You just said that mind doesnt interact with brain. Yet if mind = brain, your position implies that brain doesnt even interact with itself. Pwned.

What do you mean by it to say C is a thing? Don't try turn your grilling back on me. I'm asking the questions here. You still haven't answered them.
I didnt say C is a thing?
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy