Multiple consciousnesses in one body

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Multiple consciousnesses in one body

#541  Postby pl0bs » Jun 02, 2015 10:04 am

GrahamH wrote:
pl0bs wrote:Sure, english labels are done only by english speaking minds, but labeling in general is a more abstract principle, like representations and illusions, which are stacked on top of eachother over and over again. Similarly, the human mind is just one illusion stacked ontop of the other, on top of other ones, etc.

That is good! Human consciousness is an illusion. product of quantitative 'labelling'.
It's shame you based all your bollox on an stack of illusory labels.
Illusions require C. Simple C is at the bottom of the stack.
Believing that a lump of meat is capable of "creating experiences" is akin to believing
that leprechauns create gold coins. - UndercoverElephant
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#542  Postby pl0bs » Jun 02, 2015 10:05 am

tolman wrote:
pl0bs wrote:Actually, they are fully accounted for by quantities of particles, forces, spacetime. If you think they consist of something other than that, please explain to the scientific community what that other thing is.

Particular arrangements aren't accounted for by 'a quantity of spacetime', so every time you regurgitate your mantra about spacetime, you are simply displaying your ignorance.
They sure are fully accounted for by quantities of particles, forces, spacetime. What else do you think they consist of? Little bigfoots?
Believing that a lump of meat is capable of "creating experiences" is akin to believing
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#543  Postby pl0bs » Jun 02, 2015 10:07 am

GrahamH wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
GrahamH wrote:A label is a pattern that matches some other pattern. An identifier. A molecular bond - a quantitative a of energy/space-time - is a pattern that identifies another pattern. No 'C' required.
So lets take a random rock. What does it identify? Does it know it identifies something else?

Good question! You claim 'simple C' 'labels'. Does a rock have 'simple C'? If so, what does a rock label?
How should i know? Do you know what a bat experiences?
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#544  Postby GrahamH » Jun 02, 2015 10:10 am

pl0bs wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
GrahamH wrote:A label is a pattern that matches some other pattern. An identifier. A molecular bond - a quantitative a of energy/space-time - is a pattern that identifies another pattern. No 'C' required.
So lets take a random rock. What does it identify? Does it know it identifies something else?

Good question! You claim 'simple C' 'labels'. Does a rock have 'simple C'? If so, what does a rock label?

Yet you are quite sure that rocks label things? And you ask me, who makes no such claim, what a rock 'identifies'? :naughty:
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#545  Postby tolman » Jun 02, 2015 10:18 am

The attempt to play the Galileo Gambit and suggest people are frightened by the idea exposes the pointlessness at the heart of the issue.

Even if everyone were to humour plobs and pretend to take him seriously, it would make no difference.
If people adopted the idea that 'C' is universal and magically inherent in all matter (despite not being a fundamental property, and despite not showing the slightest sign of existence in other than fairly rare situations), that would make 'C' itself essentially dull and uninteresting.
What would be interesting in that scenario would be trying to understand why only some things seemed to have some nonzero level of 'apparent consciousness', which would be exactly the same as someone currently trying to understand why only some things seem to have some nonzero amount of 'consciousness'.

Just like the most moronic of amateur philosophy, what is actually being suggested is effectively a futile renaming exercise masquerading as insight.
Or, at least, possibly masquerading as insight to a sufficiently retarded audience.
An audience which, it seems clear, is, among other things, not here.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#546  Postby newolder » Jun 02, 2015 10:21 am

pl0bs wrote:
newolder wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
newolder wrote:
You only brought in the idea of labelling at complex C (check your own posts). Prior to that there was no labelling nor mention of labels.
I never said simple C doesnt label.

Nor have you demonstrated that it does.
Pwned.

As i said, labeling is a more general principle of representations: you see something, attach a label to it, and the label represents the thing you saw.

Where did you say simple C = you? Oh, that's right you didn't, you said complex C = you.
Indeed i didnt say that, just like you didnt say that dolphins exist on mars.

Why do you get so defensive? Perhaps you are simple C. :think:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#547  Postby GrahamH » Jun 02, 2015 10:31 am

pl0bs is just a stack of illusions (according to pl0bs)
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#548  Postby newolder » Jun 02, 2015 10:37 am

GrahamH wrote:pl0bs is just a stack of illusions (according to pl0bs)

I'm not sure pl0bs has said it is human, yet. :scratch:
pl0bs wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
pl0bs wrote:Sure, english labels are done only by english speaking minds, but labeling in general is a more abstract principle, like representations and illusions, which are stacked on top of eachother over and over again. Similarly, the human mind is just one illusion stacked ontop of the other, on top of other ones, etc.

That is good! Human consciousness is an illusion. product of quantitative 'labelling'.
It's shame you based all your bollox on an stack of illusory labels.
Illusions require C. Simple C is at the bottom of the stack.

Simple C is favourite, hitherto. :lol:
(It would go some way towards explaining the incoherence of its posts.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#549  Postby pl0bs » Jun 02, 2015 10:44 am

newolder wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
newolder wrote:
pl0bs wrote:I never said simple C doesnt label.

Nor have you demonstrated that it does.
Pwned.

As i said, labeling is a more general principle of representations: you see something, attach a label to it, and the label represents the thing you saw.

Where did you say simple C = you? Oh, that's right you didn't, you said complex C = you.
Indeed i didnt say that, just like you didnt say that dolphins exist on mars.

Pwned is defensive? Pwned.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#550  Postby pl0bs » Jun 02, 2015 10:45 am

GrahamH wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
pl0bs wrote:So lets take a random rock. What does it identify? Does it know it identifies something else?

Yet you are quite sure that rocks label things? And you ask me, who makes no such claim, what a rock 'identifies'? :naughty:
You think rocks identify things no?
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#551  Postby pl0bs » Jun 02, 2015 10:50 am

tolman wrote:What would be interesting in that scenario would be trying to understand why only some things seemed to have some nonzero level of 'apparent consciousness', which would be exactly the same as someone currently trying to understand why only some things seem to have some nonzero amount of 'consciousness'
What do you mean with "apparent"?

Btw, i think what you are saying actually entails that my idea fits with all of known science (including neuroscience).

My idea is of C is more natural than the ones which are based on emergence, since emergence doesnt happen anywhere in nature.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#552  Postby GrahamH » Jun 02, 2015 11:02 am

pl0bs wrote:Illusions require C.

Can you justify that?

'Conscious illusions' 'require C', but any false identification can be called 'illusion'. If something other than smoke sets of your smoke detector, an entirely quantitative event, that can be classed as 'illusory smoke'. It's just 'mislabelling' of some sort/
[/quote]
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#553  Postby newolder » Jun 02, 2015 11:18 am

pl0bs wrote:
newolder wrote:...

It's easy to imagine how simple C would get stuck in such a recursive loop. Are you simple C? :ask:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#554  Postby pl0bs » Jun 02, 2015 11:57 am

newolder wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
newolder wrote:...

It's easy to imagine how simple C would get stuck in such a recursive loop. Are you simple C? :ask:
I am simple C complexified.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#555  Postby pl0bs » Jun 02, 2015 12:01 pm

GrahamH wrote:
pl0bs wrote:Illusions require C.

Can you justify that?

'Conscious illusions' 'require C', but any false identification can be called 'illusion'. If something other than smoke sets of your smoke detector, an entirely quantitative event, that can be classed as 'illusory smoke'. It's just 'mislabelling' of some sort/
Classed by who?

The smoke detector just interacts with the particles. It doesnt say "you PARTICLE! you are a LIAR!".
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#556  Postby tolman » Jun 02, 2015 12:25 pm

pl0bs wrote:
tolman wrote:What would be interesting in that scenario would be trying to understand why only some things seemed to have some nonzero level of 'apparent consciousness', which would be exactly the same as someone currently trying to understand why only some things seem to have some nonzero amount of 'consciousness'
What do you mean with "apparent"?

'Apparent consciousness' in your mind-world would be what normal people currently call 'consciousness'.

pl0bs wrote:Btw, i think what you are saying actually entails that my idea fits with all of known science (including neuroscience).

In the sense that what you say is entirely irrelevant and just a moronic and futile relabelling exercise, it certainly doesn't affect anything.
It neither overturns anything nor provides any new insight, as one might expect from a dim renaming exercise.

pl0bs wrote:My idea is of C is more natural than the ones which are based on emergence, since emergence doesnt happen anywhere in nature.

If everyone tried to humour you and pretend there was no such thing as 'emergence', they'd simply have to come up with another name for the process by which things that people currently call properties of things* are apparently present in some things but not present in others.
And if everyone humoured you and pretended there were no such things as 'properties' beyond some fundamental ones**, they'd simply have to come up with another name for the 'property-like features' they currently call properties.

Again, another entirely futile exercise in renaming, as believed of clueless amateur metaphysicians who want to pretend insight while actually doing nothing of value.

(*It is, of course, irrelevant that such things are ultimately the result of highly complex interactions of fundamental particles including much nonlinear and possibly much chaotic behaviour)

(**It is also obvious that had you been wibbling a century ago, the particles and their properties you thought 'fundamental' and comprehensive would actually have turned out not to be fundamental or comprehensive, merely 'apparently' so. Just as potentially may be the case now if viewed with hindsight in another century. Yet you are prepared to declare current fundamental particles and their properties 'exist', just as you would have done a century ago.)
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#557  Postby newolder » Jun 02, 2015 12:30 pm

pl0bs wrote:...
I am simple C complexified.

Good for you. After you've grown up passed the incoherent, "pwnage" stage of complexification maybe you'll emerge as human. Who can tell? Come back in 5 years time and we'll see how you are getting on. :coffee:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#558  Postby psēlaphaō » Jun 02, 2015 1:01 pm

If a scientist were to try to measure simple C, how would they go about doing that? If it can't be measured, why is that? Is there an equation that can be used to calculate the quantity of simple C by plugging in measured values of other things?
psēlaphaō

United States (us)
Print view this post

#559  Postby pl0bs » Jun 02, 2015 1:48 pm

tolman wrote:'Apparent consciousness' in your mind-world would be what normal people currently call 'consciousness'.
So you decided to rebrand consciousness as "apparent consciousness". You are truly (d)evolving into a splendid philosopher.

If everyone tried to humour you and pretend there was no such thing as 'emergence', they'd simply have to come up with another name for the process by which things that people currently call properties of things* are apparently present in some things but not present in others.
And if everyone humoured you and pretended there were no such things as 'properties' beyond some fundamental ones**, they'd simply have to come up with another name for the 'property-like features' they currently call properties.
The scientific world has been humouring me by calling it "physics".

(**It is also obvious that had you been wibbling a century ago, the particles and their properties you thought 'fundamental' and comprehensive would actually have turned out not to be fundamental or comprehensive, merely 'apparently' so. Just as potentially may be the case now if viewed with hindsight in another century. Yet you are prepared to declare current fundamental particles and their properties 'exist', just as you would have done a century ago.)
Yubs, thats the beauty of science, it keeps improving its knowledge.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#560  Postby pl0bs » Jun 02, 2015 1:50 pm

psēlaphaō wrote:If a scientist were to try to measure simple C, how would they go about doing that? If it can't be measured, why is that? Is there an equation that can be used to calculate the quantity of simple C by plugging in measured values of other things?
They cant even measure complex (human) C.
Last edited by pl0bs on Jun 02, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy