"The intellectual conscience", excerpt from The Gay Science,

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: "The intellectual conscience", excerpt from The Gay Science,

#21  Postby scherado » Dec 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Hermit wrote:The English translations were usually out on loan at Sydney Uni's Fisher Stack, but I had no problem laying my hands on their untranslated Nietzsche offerings. That was about 40 years ago, so I am a bit hazy on detail now. I do remember that the lecturer who took the history courses on the Weimar Republic and the rise of German fascism focused on him. He would, I suppose. He always wore a black leather jacket. He also hailed from the USA and had lost an arm during a motorbike accident.

At the time it occurred to me that quite an industry could spring from Nietzche's metaphoric style, the market for it being chiefly those who had pretensions to become philosophers, but not the ability. Many of them are found among enthusiasts and enemies of postmodernism - the ones who have no idea about what postmodernism is at any rate.

For those who want to save a lot of time, here is all you need to know of Nietzsche's works in under six minutes.

Well, thanks but NO THANKS. No one, nobody should do anything other than read the actual works; NOT second-hand analysis.

THAT is what I did and THAT is the reason I got something out of it.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby scherado » Dec 23, 2018 3:34 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Funny video, but I was always under the impression that Nietzche wasn't actually an anti-semite.

Well, I've read everything, some in multiple translations (only English) and I don't have that impression.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby felltoearth » Dec 23, 2018 4:26 pm

scherado wrote:
Hermit wrote:The English translations were usually out on loan at Sydney Uni's Fisher Stack, but I had no problem laying my hands on their untranslated Nietzsche offerings. That was about 40 years ago, so I am a bit hazy on detail now. I do remember that the lecturer who took the history courses on the Weimar Republic and the rise of German fascism focused on him. He would, I suppose. He always wore a black leather jacket. He also hailed from the USA and had lost an arm during a motorbike accident.

At the time it occurred to me that quite an industry could spring from Nietzche's metaphoric style, the market for it being chiefly those who had pretensions to become philosophers, but not the ability. Many of them are found among enthusiasts and enemies of postmodernism - the ones who have no idea about what postmodernism is at any rate.

For those who want to save a lot of time, here is all you need to know of Nietzsche's works in under six minutes.

Well, thanks but NO THANKS. No one, nobody should do anything other than read the actual works; NOT second-hand analysis.

THAT is what I did and THAT is the reason I got something out of it.

Considering you identify as an agnostic, I’m curious what you got out of it.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Hermit » Dec 23, 2018 10:03 pm

scherado wrote:No one, nobody should do anything other than read the actual works; NOT second-hand analysis.

What's wrong with second-hand analysis? I for one am not sufficiently arrogant to imagine nobody's comments could teach me something or at least give me something to think about. That's why I did not just read David Hume's A Treatise of Human Nature, but also the introductions by A.D.Lindsay (Everyman, 1911), D.G.C.Macnab, P.S.Árdal, (Fontana 1962), A.Flew (who also annotated the text) (Collier, 1962) and R.Wollheim (Collins, 1963). All of them are sufficiently knowledgeable to make comments on the primary material that are worth reading.

Sometimes it's even unavoidable. Everything we know of the arguably most famous and influential western philopher's works is second-hand.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby laklak » Dec 24, 2018 1:48 am

So who was jamest's scribe?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#26  Postby scherado » Dec 26, 2018 10:47 pm

Hermit wrote:
scherado wrote:No one, nobody should do anything other than read the actual works; NOT second-hand analysis.

What's wrong with second-hand analysis? ...

If you don't read the work itself and get second-hand analysis, then it can't speak to you.

I never violated this rule except for some content found in Allan Bloom's The Closing Of The American Mind, which is the book -- breaking the camel's back -- that made me go read the Big N in earnest. Also, Francis Fukuyama's book, The End of History and the Last Man, contributed to me committing to read Nietzsche.

I did get some tangible benefit and some not tangible. I do recommend his writing.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 27, 2018 12:13 am

I read the first half of Beyond Good and Evil years ago, but that's all. The rest I got from secondary sources. Nietzsche bores me.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Hermit » Dec 27, 2018 1:02 am

scherado wrote:
Hermit wrote:

What's wrong with second-hand analysis? ...

If you don't read the work itself and get second-hand analysis, then it can't speak to you.

That does not square with

Also, I note you chopped the sentence immediately following the one you did quote out, so I repeat it here: "I for one am not sufficiently arrogant to imagine nobody's comments could teach me something or at least give me something to think about."
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

"The intellectual conscience", excerpt from The Gay Science,

#29  Postby felltoearth » Dec 27, 2018 1:35 am

I believe he may be saying the same thing in both statements, it’s just poorly expressed.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby scherado » Dec 27, 2018 1:48 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:I read the first half of Beyond Good and Evil years ago, but that's all. The rest I got from secondary sources. Nietzsche bores me.

May I suggest the essay The Use and Abuse of History, translated by Adrian Collins? I have it in exquisite HTML w/latin translation mouse-overs YES! Is the "upload attachment" feature for this purpose?
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby scherado » Dec 27, 2018 1:53 am

I guess I'll try it....

I got this message:

The extension htm is not allowed.
The upload was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 27, 2018 2:00 am

Nah, I'm good.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#33  Postby scherado » Dec 27, 2018 2:03 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:Nah, I'm good.

Ok. Let me know if you change your mind.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Hermit » Dec 27, 2018 2:06 am

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby laklak » Dec 27, 2018 2:07 am

You can't attach anything that's executable, won't allow .exe, .cmd, .htm, etc. Not sure about .pdf, they're often a malware vector.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#36  Postby scherado » Dec 27, 2018 2:17 am

felltoearth wrote:...
Considering you identify as an agnostic, I’m curious what you got out of it.

I DO intend to answer that. FYI
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy