The relationship between Science and Philosophy

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The relationship between Science and Philosophy

#81  Postby SpeedOfSound » Sep 24, 2014 1:36 am

Scar wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Philosophy is about formulating and presenting ordered thoughts, logical arguments, coherent positions and the like. In that respect, I do not think you present anywhere near as much incoherent pap as james, but because you are more cautious of
your own limitations, you are also thereby displaying an awful lot more intelligence. We are programmed to defer to authoritative figures, ones who are totally certain of themselves - james is never angrier with you than he is with anyone else and it's certainly not your failing. Perhaps you might want to consider whether that anger is scholarly chiding, or intentionally demeaning so as to artificially elevate his own position

I think james gets angry with all who engage with him because of our refusal to accept idealism as a superior philosophical position to materialism. He has been doing this ever since the forum started and has an uphill struggle because I do not think he has convinced any one of it at all though he carries on regardless. His idealism aside one can see evidence of an ordered mind at work. He is clearly a deep thinker who is not swayed by appeals to popularity so for that if nothing else he should be commended. I have made a conscious effort to pay more attention to him from now on as I have already said. I cannot just keep posting anti idealist mantras. I need to up my game and actively engage with him from this point on

I have yet to see him display deep thinking.

You have to admit thought that we have seen a lot of deep sneering, boasting, and bravado.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

Re: AW: The relationship between Science and Philosophy

#82  Postby Scar » Sep 24, 2014 1:46 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
Scar wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Philosophy is about formulating and presenting ordered thoughts, logical arguments, coherent positions and the like. In that respect, I do not think you present anywhere near as much incoherent pap as james, but because you are more cautious of
your own limitations, you are also thereby displaying an awful lot more intelligence. We are programmed to defer to authoritative figures, ones who are totally certain of themselves - james is never angrier with you than he is with anyone else and it's certainly not your failing. Perhaps you might want to consider whether that anger is scholarly chiding, or intentionally demeaning so as to artificially elevate his own position

I think james gets angry with all who engage with him because of our refusal to accept idealism as a superior philosophical position to materialism. He has been doing this ever since the forum started and has an uphill struggle because I do not think he has convinced any one of it at all though he carries on regardless. His idealism aside one can see evidence of an ordered mind at work. He is clearly a deep thinker who is not swayed by appeals to popularity so for that if nothing else he should be commended. I have made a conscious effort to pay more attention to him from now on as I have already said. I cannot just keep posting anti idealist mantras. I need to up my game and actively engage with him from this point on

I have yet to see him display deep thinking.

You have to admit thought that we have seen a lot of deep sneering, boasting, and bravado.

Sure. Despite that, I find his posts often astonishingly dense and clueless.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy