The Secrets of Quantum Physics

New BBC Documentary inadvertently promotes Idealism

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Secrets of Quantum Physics

#361  Postby twistor59 » Dec 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Panderos wrote:
Bit beyond me really. Would the takeaway for the thread be that particles are really interacting even before any measurement is made upon them? Then what was with J-A-K's statement about the moon not being there when you don't look?

LOL I've forgotten exactly what he said now, and it would take some time to find it! It is quite difficult to isolate things from their environment so yes, to this extent they're always interacting, and decoherence is taking place. The moon isn't an isolated system, so it decoheres quite nicely and looks pretty classical. One of the big deals is what basis you end up diagonal (i.e. no quantum type correlations) in - I believe there are arguments for the position basis being one of these, so the moon has a well defined classical position. Which came in quite handy in 1969!

This is a paper I read a couple of years ago on these topics - IIRC it's quite a readable account:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0501119
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#362  Postby SpeedOfSound » Dec 14, 2014 7:01 pm

I keep running into these people that, each of them, have two or three stories, of some coincidence in their lives. Very cool coincidences and of course sometimes outright psychotic breaks with reality (which I have actually experienced). They insist that this is proof of some thing about the M-M-M-Mind and it's powers over reality. In spite of perfectly plausible reasons why it indeed was a god damned actual coincidence.

Now I had one just recent experience. A cousin who I had not thought about in 15 years featured in a dream at the same time as he was Up North dropping dead of heart disease. That kind of thing sticks with you and has an effect on your beliefs. This one stuck with me precisely because the dream was stuffed and dripping with a deeply nostalgic dish of emotion.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#363  Postby VazScep » Dec 14, 2014 7:12 pm

Assuming you're serious:

SpeedOfSound wrote:A cousin who I had not thought about in 15 years
Or had thought about but had subsequently forgotten that you'd thought about, because there were no spooky coincidences to consolidate the memory.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#364  Postby SpeedOfSound » Dec 14, 2014 7:17 pm

VazScep wrote:Assuming you're serious:

SpeedOfSound wrote:A cousin who I had not thought about in 15 years
Or had thought about but had subsequently forgotten that you'd thought about, because there were no spooky coincidences to consolidate the memory.

Sure all possible. But that make no difference to what I just said.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#365  Postby VazScep » Dec 14, 2014 7:35 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:Sure all possible. But that make no difference to what I just said.
It makes a difference is as much as we get people like UndercoverElephant starting threads about such coincidences and in as much as you can counter this sort of woo by pointing to cognitive biases that lead there.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#366  Postby SpeedOfSound » Dec 14, 2014 7:41 pm

VazScep wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:Sure all possible. But that make no difference to what I just said.
It makes a difference is as much as we get people like UndercoverElephant starting threads about such coincidences and in as much as you can counter this sort of woo by pointing to cognitive biases that lead there.

It could have easily have been a complete accident and I in fact had never thought about him in twenty years. Besides, the fact of his dying had nothing whatever to do with my thinking about him just then, or two hours ago and forgetting it, or if I had made it all up after news of his death.

Coincidences are like that. Cognitive Biases Not Required.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#367  Postby SpeedOfSound » Dec 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Coincidence happens and some of them are truly wonderful things. Awe inspiring.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#368  Postby SpeedOfSound » Dec 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Now to your point Vaz, if you train yourself to become hyper-aware to coincidence or synchronicity you will have a cognitive bias to finding them and because synchronicity is the low hanging fruit in the universe you will find plenty.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#369  Postby kennyc » Dec 14, 2014 7:59 pm

But is it a wave or a particle?
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#370  Postby Evolving » Dec 14, 2014 8:43 pm

twistor59 wrote:However, charge is not the best example for talking about fundamental quantum measurement issues, because it's fixed once and for all - an electron can't evolve into a state with different charge (superselection).

Yes, that was the point of bringing up charge (as well as mass) as being a quantity that the electron has, whatever the state of its wave function, thus demonstrating that it certainly exists before a measurement causes it to start looking like a particle.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#371  Postby Evolving » Dec 14, 2014 9:17 pm

twistor59 wrote:To measure charge, you'd need some apparatus more complex than another microscopic particle (think Milikan's oil drop expt).

That's true too, but for my purposes all I needed was to be able to show experimentally that the charge was there, while not creating any doubt in anyone's mind that the wave function of the electron carrying the charge has not collapsed.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#372  Postby Evolving » Dec 14, 2014 9:19 pm

ElDiablo wrote:Evolving.
Thanks for your posts. I'm learning a lot.

:thumbup:
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#373  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 15, 2014 2:11 pm

kennyc wrote:as was explained earlier there is no actual collapse, the particle potentially keeps moving, continuing to embody its wave function. The measurement is like a freeze-frame from an ongoing movie.

I see it differently. Take an atom in an unknown state. It emits a photon with the characteristic wavelength of a resonance line (which connects to the atom's ground state). You are now confident that that atom's internal quantum state has relaxed to the ground state, and the internal electronic wavefunction has correspondingly collapsed to "all internal electrons at the ground state". This does not stop all internal movement, it only settles the issue of which internal state it's in.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#374  Postby felltoearth » Dec 15, 2014 3:48 pm

campermon wrote:...hmmmmm....

The wave function of a particle tells us about the probability of finding a particle at a particular point in space. So, the y axis is a measure of how likely we can 'observe' the particle at some co-ordinate x.

Until we make that measurement, or the system is forced to be measured (by some non-conscious observer), the only certainty we have is, is that the particle is most probably to be found 'here'.

Hmmm, clearly there's much for me to learn still :lol:

I think the hardest part of this in some ways is linking the terminologies. I noticed David mentioned a "resonant wave" which suggests a harmonic frequency to me though I doubt that's what he really means. Same goes for the "relaxed state".
More reading required though it might help to "harmonize" some of the terms of the discussion as it seems people are tending to talk past each other here.
That said, Evolving seems to be doing a great job at explaining some of these concepts comprehensively.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#375  Postby kennyc » Dec 15, 2014 3:59 pm

Yes, read Evolving's posts. Skip David's.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#376  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 15, 2014 4:37 pm

kennyc wrote:Yes, read Evolving's posts. Skip David's.

That suggestion is not because I'm wrong, but because you don't like me, right?
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#377  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 15, 2014 4:42 pm

felltoearth wrote:

The wave function of a particle tells us about the probability of finding a particle at a particular point in space. So, the y axis is a measure of how likely we can 'observe' the particle at some co-ordinate x.

Until we make that measurement, or the system is forced to be measured (by some non-conscious observer), the only certainty we have is, is that the particle is most probably to be found 'here'.

I think the hardest part of this in some ways is linking the terminologies. I noticed David mentioned a "resonant wave" which suggests a harmonic frequency to me though I doubt that's what he really means. Same goes for the "relaxed state".

Then you notice wrong. I did not say "resonant wave" :roll: , I said "resonance line", which you apparently don't know the meaning of! A resonance line is an emission line that connects to the ground state. Look it up. Before making jokes, you need to learn some atomic physics.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#378  Postby campermon » Dec 15, 2014 7:13 pm

felltoearth wrote:

More reading required though it might help to "harmonize" some of the terms of the discussion as it seems people are tending to talk past each other here.
That said, Evolving seems to be doing a great job at explaining some of these concepts comprehensively.

I think a 'beer drinkers guide to quantum mechanics' thread might be needed!

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#379  Postby kennyc » Dec 15, 2014 8:11 pm

campermon wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

I think a 'beer drinkers guide to quantum mechanics' thread might be needed!

:cheers:

I'll drink to that! http://www.rationalskepticism.org/fun-g ... 47816.html
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#380  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 15, 2014 8:51 pm

felltoearth wrote:

I admit I was using some technical terms from atomic physics, but, as I've already mentioned, the phrase was "resonance line", not "resonant wave". "Relaxed state", in this case, referred to the lowest electronic state of the atom, which is what it ends up in after emission of a "resonance line" (which are usually the strongest emission lines).
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy