How true are Newton's second law and law of gravitation?

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How true are Newton's second law and law of gravitation?

#81  Postby Sendraks » Dec 04, 2013 4:09 pm

John Platko wrote:And if I'm understanding all of this, we don't yet have a way to talk about large aggregates of stuff, like a golf ball, in ways that relate to how we talk about very small stuff, like electrons. There's a gap in our understanding - maybe that's what the hats were trying to tell me.

Doesn't this rather presume, on your part, that the very small stuff should behave in the same way as the large stuff?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#82  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2013 4:10 pm

tuco wrote:One thing I fail to understand John Platko. Newton will be used by anyone wanting to land on any planet in the known universe and your point is? I could understand if people at NASA would be concerned about Newton laws being "true" but they are not. What are you trying to achieve?

I'm not the only one concerned by the truth of Newton's law. This guy gave it some thought too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSXNE0pNtr8

I'm trying to understand what is really known around the margins of Newton's law.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#83  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2013 4:13 pm

newolder wrote:
tuco wrote:One thing I fail to understand John Platko. Newton will be used by anyone wanting to land on any planet in the known universe and your point is? I could understand if people at NASA would be concerned about Newton laws being "true" but they are not. What are you trying to achieve?

Yes, me too. :thumbup:
John has dropped a ball and wants to know something about what happens next. We don't yet know what John means by "Golf ball" - for example, I used to work inside and out of a "Golf Ball" structure built atop Great Dun Fell - it could equally be a membrane impervious (to some degree) to helium gas and simply float or rise away and still Newton would get it's motion correct (to chaotic bifurcation).
:scratch:

I'm talking about the other kind of golf ball.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby scott1328 » Dec 04, 2013 4:14 pm

John Platko wrote:
scott1328 wrote:John,

you try to use the lingo, but you have failed to grasp the underlying concepts. Do you even understand what integrals and derivatives are or how they are defined? Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_%28mathematics%29

I'm pretty sure I understand. I also understand that while limits are the modern way of teaching integrals, it is not the only way to understand them.

But, if you see some obvious error that I'm making, why not just spell it out clearly. My question is clear enough.

Newton's laws describe (certain aspects of) behavior, they do not prescribe it. Specifically, it describes a way for one to calculate forces, masses, or accelerations(velocity(position)) if you happen to have made some measurements.

For example, if you have measured the mass and acceleration of an object, you can calculate the force acting on that object. Furthermore the accuracy of your calculation is only as good as that of your measurements.

It is unwarranted to draw any conclusions about ultimate reality (i.e. your weird assertion about infinite velocity/energy changes) simply because the method of calculation is based on a continuous model of the universe.

Your golf ball question has been answered. Yes, Newton's Laws have been shown to be incomplete for high velocities and small scales. They are still applicable and accurate enough to fly a robot to Saturn and land a probe on Titan.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#85  Postby kennyc » Dec 04, 2013 4:14 pm

John Platko wrote:....

Fair enough. I first got interested in this aspect of Newton's law when I heard people talk about the Cosmological argument. The argument didn't sit well with me and it especially felt like bullshit when they called it a proof. Being Catholic, I was most interested in St. Thomas Aquinas's version but I listened to a lot of versions. I found some very convincing, I would call them definitive, reasons for why such proofs fail. But, I thought I'd have a go at coming up with my own proof of why St. Thomas Aquinas's first proof fails, as I understand what he was saying, and perhaps more to the point of what Aristotle was saying (the guy St. Thomas got the idea from) who was more clear about his reasoning. I while back I made a little video explaining my version of why St. Thomas's first proof is wrong. You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kbARYYkLVk

But my video fails if there's a speed limit on change and Newton's law is a good way to talk about such speed limits because it implies there are none. And I'm interested in checking my work. That's just how I roll. (So far, I still think my video is a valid critique.)

Catholics being Catholics, there are other interpretations of what St. Thomas actually meant in his proof. Edward Fesser writes a lot about it. I made a video showing why his idea of St. Thomas's proof fails also. You can watch it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klhu7AUQO30

But even though I got into this aspect of Newton's law via what I would call a mutation of a religious idea. I'm interested in the physics of it.

Wow! Just Wow! I now know exactly what to do in response to your posts. :grin:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#86  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2013 4:16 pm

kennyc wrote:Nor does your attempt to discredit existing science in pursuit of your mythological beliefs.

You are not here to learn, you have already made up your mind, you are attempting to find support for that belief.

People have told you exactly the situation in even the first few posts in this thread, yet you continue to argue against them.

I find no truth in what you say.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#87  Postby kennyc » Dec 04, 2013 4:16 pm

scott1328 wrote:
John Platko wrote:

you try to use the lingo, but you have failed to grasp the underlying concepts. Do you even understand what integrals and derivatives are or how they are defined? Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_%28mathematics%29

I'm pretty sure I understand. I also understand that while limits are the modern way of teaching integrals, it is not the only way to understand them.

But, if you see some obvious error that I'm making, why not just spell it out clearly. My question is clear enough.

Newton's laws describe (certain aspects of) behavior, they do not prescribe it. Specifically, it describes a way for one to calculate forces, masses, or accelerations(velocity(position)) if you happen to have made some measurements.

For example, if you have measured the mass and acceleration of an object, you can calculate the force acting on that object. Furthermore the accuracy of your calculation is only as good as that of your measurements.

It is unwarranted to draw any conclusions about ultimate reality (i.e. your weird assertion about infinite velocity/energy changes) simply because the method of calculation is based on a continuous model of the universe.

Your golf ball question has been answered. Yes, Newton's Laws have been shown to be incomplete for high velocities and small scales. They are still applicable and accurate enough to fly a robot to Saturn and land a probe on Titan.

And again (as in the first few posts) the question has been answered. :think:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#88  Postby kennyc » Dec 04, 2013 4:18 pm

John Platko wrote:
kennyc wrote:Nor does your attempt to discredit existing science in pursuit of your mythological beliefs.

You are not here to learn, you have already made up your mind, you are attempting to find support for that belief.

People have told you exactly the situation in even the first few posts in this thread, yet you continue to argue against them.

I find no truth in what you say.

That is your own personal issue. I can't help you there. As I've said you don't want to learn. You can lead a horse to water but nothing stinks worse than a wet horse.

Bye.
:cheers:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#89  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Sendraks wrote:
John Platko wrote:
But my video fails if there's a speed limit on change and Newton's law is a good way to talk about such speed limits because it implies there are none.

Well isn't the speed limit terminal velocity? The acceleration is only continuous until terminal velocity is reached, providing the object is given time to reach that velocity (the velocity depends on weight and drag).

I guess you didn't watch my video.

One could have very fast changes in velocity, at very low velocities- so no need to bring terminal velocity into the picture. But you're on the right track, you're at least talking physics now. Great!
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#90  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Sendraks wrote:
John Platko wrote:And if I'm understanding all of this, we don't yet have a way to talk about large aggregates of stuff, like a golf ball, in ways that relate to how we talk about very small stuff, like electrons. There's a gap in our understanding - maybe that's what the hats were trying to tell me.

Doesn't this rather presume, on your part, that the very small stuff should behave in the same way as the large stuff?

I'm not presuming anything other than what is directly implied by Newton's law. I don't know if large stuff behaves like small stuff but we just don't notice it. The point of this thread was to see if anyone here knew anything more about it.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#91  Postby newolder » Dec 04, 2013 4:25 pm

But my video fails if there's a speed limit on change and Newton's law is a good way to talk about such speed limits because it implies there are none.

The speed of light in a vacuum is an observed limit. Theoretically, Newton's ideas can still be used with this new knowledge but even then, the procession of the perihelion of the planet Mercury stands out like a standy-out thing. So, with however much reluctance we feel necessary, we move on to an improved but more technical view of the tensor object in General Relativity.

If your video/physics requires real tachyons (Gr. tachys, fast) then good luck.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#92  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2013 4:28 pm

scott1328 wrote:
John Platko wrote:

I don't see why that's the case at all. Science often draws new conclusions based on equations, which are based on measurement. And it's simply untrue that anyone must measure anything to apply Newton's laws, as any high school student doing their physics homework can tell you.

Last edited by John Platko on Dec 04, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Sendraks » Dec 04, 2013 4:29 pm

John Platko wrote:I guess you didn't watch my video.

Well observed.

John Platko wrote:One could have very fast changes in velocity, at very low velocities

What would cause these changes in velocity to occur?

John Platko wrote:- so no need to bring terminal velocity into the picture.

Well that will depend on the context of what we are discussing. If you want to discuss "real world" scenarios in an effort to explain how Newton's Laws do not accurately describe what happens in reality, then terminal velocity is a consideration.

If we're discussing entirely hypothetical or unrealistic scenarios, then all you can demonstrate is that Newton's Laws do not work in those contexts.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#94  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2013 4:37 pm

newolder wrote:

The speed of light in a vacuum is an observed limit. Theoretically, Newton's ideas can still be used with this new knowledge but even then, the procession of the perihelion of the planet Mercury stands out like a standy-out thing. So, with however much reluctance we feel necessary, we move on to an improved but more technical view of the tensor object in General Relativity.

If your video/physics requires real tachyons (Gr. tachys, fast) then good luck.

The speed of light is a limit on velocity. I'm asking questions about the speed limit of change of velocity. What does science tell us about that?

Another way to look at my question is: I let go of the golf ball. Gravity tugs. What exactly is happening during that very first tug where the velocity of the golf ball goes from 0 to something greater than 0. Is there some discreet jump in velocity that it would make or is it infinitely gradual.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Agrippina » Dec 04, 2013 4:39 pm

He has a video? :shock:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#96  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Sendraks wrote:
John Platko wrote:I guess you didn't watch my video.

Well observed.

John Platko wrote:One could have very fast changes in velocity, at very low velocities

What would cause these changes in velocity to occur?

Gravity

John Platko wrote:- so no need to bring terminal velocity into the picture.

Well that will depend on the context of what we are discussing. If you want to discuss "real world" scenarios in an effort to explain how Newton's Laws do not accurately describe what happens in reality, then terminal velocity is a consideration.

If we're discussing entirely hypothetical or unrealistic scenarios, then all you can demonstrate is that Newton's Laws do not work in those contexts.

I'm discussing a real world situation. I'm dropping a golf ball! Now what exactly happens when I let go of the ball. I'm interested in the moment the ball goes from a velocity of 0 to something greater than 0. Does it make a discreet jump in velocity or is the increase in velocity infinitely gradual. It's a simple question. Newton's equations imply infinitely gradual.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#97  Postby newolder » Dec 04, 2013 4:43 pm

How small can "some discrete" get? How would your measurement of any discrete interval tell you anything about the discreteness of the underlying "time" dimension? :dunno:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#98  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Agrippina wrote:He has a video? :shock:

You might enjoy my Feser video. The Thomas Aquinas one is a bit dry.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Sendraks » Dec 04, 2013 4:51 pm

John Platko wrote:I'm discussing a real world situation. I'm dropping a golf ball! Now what exactly happens when I let go of the ball. I'm interested in the moment the ball goes from a velocity of 0 to something greater than 0. Does it make a discreet jump in velocity or is the increase in velocity infinitely gradual. It's a simple question. Newton's equations imply infinitely gradual.

So the terminal velocity of the golf ball is 32m/s.
If the golf ball is dropped (i.e. no additional force applied beyond that of gravity) and allowed to reach terminal velocity, are you asking if the rate of acceleration linear or non-linear?

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#100  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2013 4:54 pm

newolder wrote:How small can "some discrete" get? How would your measurement of any discrete interval tell you anything about the discreteness of the underlying "time" dimension? :dunno:

My question is not about the underlying discreteness of time- although that's an interesting question too.

My question is about the golf ball. Does it gradually start to move in a completely continuous manner, as Newton's equations imply or does it make a "first move" where it goes from 0 velocity to a quantized velocity something greater than 0? Is the ball smoothly falling or is it going through a definite sequence of velocity states. These are two very different models of behavior. I'm interested in which one is closer to reality. Or, do neither really capture the reality of what's going on. Has anyone tried to model/simulate such behavior?
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics