JPL's FTL project.

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: JPL's FTL project.

#561  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 13, 2014 10:46 am

psēlaphaō wrote:Is this helpful?:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Q ... icles.html

We are really using the quantum-mechanical approximation method known as perturbation theory. In perturbation theory, systems can go through intermediate "virtual states" that normally have energies different from that of the initial and final states. This is because of another uncertainty principle, which relates time and energy.

In the pictured example, we consider an intermediate state with a virtual photon in it. It isn't classically possible for a charged particle to just emit a photon and remain unchanged (except for recoil) itself. The state with the photon in it has too much energy, assuming conservation of momentum. However, since the intermediate state lasts only a short time, the state's energy becomes uncertain, and it can actually have the same energy as the initial and final states. This allows the system to pass through this state with some probability without violating energy conservation.

Some descriptions of this phenomenon instead say that the energy of the system becomes uncertain for a short period of time, that energy is somehow "borrowed" for a brief interval. This is just another way of talking about the same mathematics. However, it obscures the fact that all this talk of virtual states is just an approximation to quantum mechanics, in which energy is conserved at all times. The way I've described it also corresponds to the usual way of talking about Feynman diagrams, in which energy is conserved, but virtual particles can carry amounts of energy not normally allowed by the laws of motion.

(General relativity creates a different set of problems for energy conservation; that's described elsewhere in the sci.physics FAQ.)

Thanks, psēlaphaō. Perhaps lucek does not recognise that way of looking at it (see bolded bit). :dunno:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#562  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 13, 2014 12:17 pm

lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Wrong. Ever heard of the uncertainty principle (delta E * delta t = h bar)?
Without that temporary violation of E-conservation, there would be no point in postulating virtual particles in the first place!

Dave your track record on this thread is pretty impressive. Virtual partials always conserve energy and momentum.

Don't be silly.
What bit of "virtual particles temporarily fail to conserve total energy" do you not understand?

Not on any scale beyond the one point of space. Keep in mind Dave we were talking about the scale of galaxies. Over time or over distance virtual partials average out. They in fact do conserve energy of space time.

Dave can you really do some reading, either what you are replying to or to the science.

It is you who needs to do some reading, lucek. You are obviously unaware of an important strand of thinking in QM. See psēlaphaō's link, for starters.
EDIT: Or perhaps you don't know the meaning of the word, "temporarily"!? :roll:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#563  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 13, 2014 12:23 pm

lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Wrong. Ever heard of the uncertainty principle (delta E * delta t = h bar)?
Without that temporary violation of E-conservation, there would be no point in postulating virtual particles in the first place!

Dave your track record on this thread is pretty impressive. Virtual partials always conserve energy and momentum.

Don't be silly.
What bit of "virtual particles temporarily fail to conserve total energy" do you not understand?

Not on any scale beyond the one point of space. Keep in mind Dave we were talking about the scale of galaxies. Over time or over distance virtual partials average out. .

Sure, they avaerge out OVER TIME OR DISTANCE, but that is not what we are talking about, when the word, "temporararily" comes into use, is it?
Also, I was not aware that we were talking about galaxies. That word does not sit well with "quantum uncertainty", for obvious reasons!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#564  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 13, 2014 12:27 pm

hackenslash wrote:
lucek wrote:Negative energy and negative mass are still quite hypothetical.

Ah, not really. They're pretty standard fayre in physics. Virtual pair production is pretty nailed to the wall by now, and there you have negative energy and negative mass (if the energy is negative, so's the mass, via E=mc2).

For experimental evidence of this, see Casimir Effect.

You don't seem to understand the difference between a theoretical construct and observational evidence. Negative mass is not an obervational fact, hack, it is not even the only version of virtual particle theory.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#565  Postby hackenslash » Apr 13, 2014 12:31 pm

See later post, where I retracted.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#566  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 13, 2014 12:39 pm

hackenslash wrote:It should be noted also that there are repulsive solutions to Einstein's equations, and repulsive gravity is a strong Dark Energy contender.

It should also be noted that GR with a positive value of the cosmological constant is only a mathematical game, not an observation. Remember, he initially posited a negative cosmological constant, to get his steady state universe! What this debacle shows is the posibility that GR is a fudge, designed to get whatever result suits, a bit like MOND with Newton'r second law, applied to spiral galaxies, etc.
Adding ad hoc terms to laws is always suspect, as it suggests that the system is not as isolated as it is assumed to be. It is rather like not knowing that the earth is rotating, and "explaining" the Coriolis force by adding an ad hoc term to Newton's laws themselves, instead of realising that the earth is not the whole universe, and is rotating within a greater entity - the universe.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#567  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 13, 2014 12:41 pm

hackenslash wrote:See later post, where I retracted.

Oh, OK, I didn't notice, because there were so many misunderstandings to clear up with lucek in this thread.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#568  Postby kennyc » Apr 13, 2014 1:23 pm

lucek wrote:...

Dave can you really do some reading, either what you are replying to or to the science.

"Dave's not home." - Cheech or maybe Chong

It's David, okay?

:roll:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#569  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Perhaps lucek thinks this thread is still about galactic travel? It certainly started off like that, but the posts this month have steered it in a competely different direction - from the very large to the very small!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#570  Postby psēlaphaō » Apr 13, 2014 4:06 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

We are really using the quantum-mechanical approximation method known as perturbation theory. In perturbation theory, systems can go through intermediate "virtual states" that normally have energies different from that of the initial and final states. This is because of another uncertainty principle, which relates time and energy.

In the pictured example, we consider an intermediate state with a virtual photon in it. It isn't classically possible for a charged particle to just emit a photon and remain unchanged (except for recoil) itself. The state with the photon in it has too much energy, assuming conservation of momentum. However, since the intermediate state lasts only a short time, the state's energy becomes uncertain, and it can actually have the same energy as the initial and final states. This allows the system to pass through this state with some probability without violating energy conservation.

Some descriptions of this phenomenon instead say that the energy of the system becomes uncertain for a short period of time, that energy is somehow "borrowed" for a brief interval. This is just another way of talking about the same mathematics. However, it obscures the fact that all this talk of virtual states is just an approximation to quantum mechanics, in which energy is conserved at all times. The way I've described it also corresponds to the usual way of talking about Feynman diagrams, in which energy is conserved, but virtual particles can carry amounts of energy not normally allowed by the laws of motion.

(General relativity creates a different set of problems for energy conservation; that's described elsewhere in the sci.physics FAQ.)

Thanks, psēlaphaō. Perhaps lucek does not recognise that way of looking at it (see bolded bit). :dunno:

Hmm. What do you think is meant by the underlined and italicized part?
psēlaphaō

United States (us)
Print view this post

#571  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 13, 2014 4:27 pm

psēlaphaō wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Hmm. What do you think is meant by the underlined and italicized part?

Not sure, but "obscure" does not mean "contradict"! If there is NO allowance for very short term violation of energy conservation, then Heisenberg's uncertainty principle would have to be wrong, surely?
EDIT: The "approximation" could be in the form of the temporary violation of energy conservation referred to. However, it is a bit vague.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#572  Postby DavidMcC » May 23, 2014 4:11 pm

_____
A thought on mass-energy equivalence:
In the absence of creation or destruction of space (which is in pretty well all experiments that can be done in labs), the principle should hold good, because the energy of space itself is not converted one way or the other. However, if space itself has energy (the so-called zero-point energy), and particle are excitations of space, then the theory should not be so simple. This could explain why "dark energy" has such different effects from "dark matter".
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#573  Postby lucek » May 24, 2014 12:19 am

DavidMcC wrote:_____
In the absence of creation or destruction of space (which is in pretty well all experiments that can be done in labs), the principle should hold good, because the energy of space itself is not converted one way or the other. However, if space itself has energy (the so-called zero-point energy), and particle are excitations of space, then the theory should not be so simple. This could explain why "dark energy" has such different effects from "dark matter".

No words Dave. You leave me with no words at all.

I'm hoping that this was fallacious.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#574  Postby DavidMcC » May 24, 2014 12:31 pm

lucek wrote:

Well, if you have no words, nor do I, and that is the end of it.
I know, what if you find the words to argue against the concept of the energy of space, because that is the only defence of mass-energy equivalence in cosmology (as opposed to in stars, nuclear bombs and high energy physics experiments, where it does hold, because no space is being created or destroyed).
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#575  Postby lucek » May 24, 2014 1:03 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:

I know, what if you find the words to argue against the concept of the energy of space, because that is the only defence of mass-energy equivalence in cosmology (as opposed to in stars, nuclear bombs and high energy physics experiments, where it does hold, because no space is being created or destroyed).

I was more referring to you saying that space containing energy might be a reason why a universe wide outward force is different then matter that doesn't or only weakly interacts with anything except via gravity.

If I take it to mean that the energy of particles affects their behavior then I'd say duh, if I take it to mean you think dark energy and dark matter are the same or two sides of the same coin I can only face palm, other then that I don't know what to take from your statement.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#576  Postby DavidMcC » May 24, 2014 1:07 pm

lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:

I was more referring to you saying that space containing energy might be a reason why a universe wide outward force is different then matter that doesn't or only weakly interacts with anything except via gravity.

That is not what I said, lucek. Read my posts in the LQG thread (page 6, et seq.) and you will see that you misinterpretted me in this.
If I take it to mean that the energy of particles affects their behavior then I'd say duh, if I take it to mean you think dark energy and dark matter are the same or two sides of the same coin I can only face palm, other then that I don't know what to take from your statement.

This also has nothing to do with what I said in the LQG thread.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#577  Postby lucek » May 24, 2014 1:15 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:

That is not what I said, lucek. Read my posts in the LQG thread (page 6, et seq.) and you will see that you misinterpretted me in this.

I freely admit then I have no clue what the fuck you are on about then. I also have yet to see why you thought it important to bump this thread with it. If you won't even clarify what appears to just be ramblings then I must wonder the value of this discourse.

That said, Good by Dave.
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#578  Postby DavidMcC » May 24, 2014 4:48 pm

lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

I freely admit then I have no clue what the fuck you are on about then. I also have yet to see why you thought it important to bump this thread with it. If you won't even clarify what appears to just be ramblings then I must wonder the value of this discourse.

That said, Good by Dave.

Nice tactical retreat! Others think otherwise, so you may be in need of more thought.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#579  Postby DavidMcC » May 24, 2014 4:54 pm

If there was anything you wanted clarifying, you only had to ask.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#580  Postby DavidMcC » May 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Oh, wait! You and hack are both prominent FTL-ers! I forgot. That gives you a motive for making mischief and excuses for angry words, etc.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics