JPL's FTL project.

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: JPL's FTL project.

#641  Postby campermon » May 30, 2014 4:02 pm

^Holy fuck! You actually did that... :whine:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#642  Postby DavidMcC » May 30, 2014 4:06 pm

This thread is now completely in cuckoo-land. :crazy:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#643  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 30, 2014 4:27 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
campermon wrote:

Well, although I am aware of no experiment that has measured the gravitation of photons (the effect would be very, very small), GR does state that the energy contribution of photons adds to the gravitational field. Seeing as GR has been verified by a number of tests, it's pretty likely that the photon does add to the gravity field. Unless of course GR can be formulated to ignore photon energy.

What makes you so sure GR is the correct theory of everything, so that all associated maths applies, even without evidence.

Do have have something than GR that you aren't telling us about or going on a gut feeling David?

No, nothing I haven't already mentioned, but that is enough, IMO, to invalidate claims that GR tensor maths proves that photons must be exerting gravity, regardless of electro-weak interactions.

So providing nothing is good enough.

Awesome. :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#644  Postby campermon » May 30, 2014 4:29 pm

:rofl:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#645  Postby DavidMcC » May 30, 2014 4:34 pm

I didn't say I provided nothing, Cdesign..., just nothing since all the baseless kafuffle started about how FTL is really based on good physics, and all that...
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#647  Postby Pulsar » May 31, 2014 3:59 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
campermon wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:... As I tried to explain elsewhere, mass-energy equivalence is not an absolute, for two reasons: photons do not necessarily exert a gravitational field, and space itself probably has energy, independent of the particles in it. Most quantum gravity hypotheses involve such "zero-point" energy. Thus, although all mass is energy, not all energy is necessarily mass. Capiche?

The bolded underlined bit.

When do photons not exert a graviational field?

:scratch: How about you giving an example of when photons DO exert a gravitational field. I have aready shown that there is no evidence that they do.

Radiation-dominated era

In physical cosmology, the radiation-dominated era was the first of the three phases of the known universe, the other two being the matter-dominated era and the dark-energy-dominated era. During this era, the dynamics of the universe were set by radiation, which refers generally to the constituents of the universe which moved relativistically, principally photons and neutrinos.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#648  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Pulsar wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
campermon wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:... As I tried to explain elsewhere, mass-energy equivalence is not an absolute, for two reasons: photons do not necessarily exert a gravitational field, and space itself probably has energy, independent of the particles in it. Most quantum gravity hypotheses involve such "zero-point" energy. Thus, although all mass is energy, not all energy is necessarily mass. Capiche?

The bolded underlined bit.

When do photons not exert a graviational field?

:scratch: How about you giving an example of when photons DO exert a gravitational field. I have aready shown that there is no evidence that they do.

Radiation-dominated era

In physical cosmology, the radiation-dominated era was the first of the three phases of the known universe, the other two being the matter-dominated era and the dark-energy-dominated era. During this era, the dynamics of the universe were set by radiation, which refers generally to the constituents of the universe which moved relativistically, principally photons and neutrinos.

Yet another use of theory as "evidence". But why am I not surprised?
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#649  Postby Pulsar » Jun 01, 2014 4:53 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Yet another use of theory as "evidence". But why am I not surprised?

Really? Are you calling the Standard Big Bang Theory 'just a theory' ? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, after you referred to the Einstein Field Equations as 'mathsy stuff'. I'd like to see you try and reproduce the CMB fluctuations without taking into account the photon density. But actual calculations are not exactly your forte, are they?

I don't know why you keep posting in these threads, because you are most definitely not a physicist.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#650  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Pulsar wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Yet another use of theory as "evidence". But why am I not surprised?

Really? Are you calling the Standard Big Bang Theory 'just a theory' ? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, after you referred to the Einstein Field Equations as 'mathsy stuff'. I'd like to see you try and reproduce the CMB fluctuations without taking into account the photon density. But actual calculations are not exactly your forte, are they?

I don't know why you keep posting in these threads, because you are most definitely not a physicist.

I am a physicist - a thin film process physicist. My interest in cosmology is amateur.
As to the plot of multipole moments, I would want a reference please. Also, there is no comparison with other models, so the significance of the good fit is unclear.
EDIT: Perhaps more importantly, you may have misinterpreted my position on the maths. I certainly am not denying the big bang, as I have always made clear. If the photon density is chosen for the best fit (as a kind of "fiddle factor", then it is not unreasonable that a very good fit would be achieved in any case. (Another good reason for wanting the science reference, and not just the image reference.)
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#651  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 01, 2014 6:34 pm

... It should also be remembered that the photon gravity would not be the only factor relating photon density to the moment distribution in the CMB. Photon inertial mass would also have a photon density effect. Again, it depends on how dependent the model is on adjustable parameters.
EDIT: To be precise, you need to show that the best fit to data is better with photon gravity than without. This has obviuously not been demonstrated by just the one curve.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#652  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 01, 2014 6:43 pm

... It is also obvious that the issue of photon gravity has no bearing on the OP subject, of FTL travel within the galaxy.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#653  Postby lucek » Jun 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Let me ask you this Dave. Do you know why there is a speed of light(a maximum velocity not a speed at which light travels at)?
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#654  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 02, 2014 12:25 pm

lucek wrote:Let me ask you this Dave. Do you know why there is a speed of light(a maximum velocity not a speed at which light travels at)?

At what level is the answer expected? What kijnd of "why" is it? I could say that it is an observed fact that light in vacuo, in the absence of strong gravitational fields, travels at a particular speed, regardless of the observer's rest frame. Special relativity has well explained "why" any massive particle necessarily travels at less than this speed.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#655  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 02, 2014 12:40 pm

I'm still trying to imagine what Pulsar's beef is. Does he think I am claiming that maths is useless to physics? Nothing could be further from the truth. The problem I see is that it is very powerful, BUT can be misused (accidentally or otherwise), for example, by leaving out relevant boundary conditions in determining which siolutions to equations are physically meaningful. I suspect that string theorists such as the late "Sonny" White may have committed that error when claiming to have "proved" that it should be possible to reach the Proxima Centauri system in about 2 weeks, earth time (which implies an average speed of nearly 2 orders of magnitude greater than c).
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#656  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 02, 2014 12:50 pm

Further to my response to lucek, I am well aware of Cerenkov radiation, generated by particles travelling faster than light can in the medium. I am guessing that he thinks this is an argument for the possibility of travelling faster than light in vacuo. This would be wrong, because, in vacuo, there are no atoms to slow light down, leaving the possibility of fast particles travelling faster than wave-packets of light.
_________
I am guessing at what is in both lucek's and Pulsar's minds, because they do not say.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#657  Postby lucek » Jun 02, 2014 9:16 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:Let me ask you this Dave. Do you know why there is a speed of light(a maximum velocity not a speed at which light travels at)?

At what level is the answer expected? What kijnd of "why" is it? I could say that it is an observed fact that light in vacuo, in the absence of strong gravitational fields, travels at a particular speed, regardless of the observer's rest frame. Special relativity has well explained "why" any massive particle necessarily travels at less than this speed.

I was referring to the point that the mass of the energy to accelerate any object to the seed of light is equal to the mass of the object being accelerated.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#658  Postby lucek » Jun 02, 2014 9:30 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Further to my response to lucek, I am well aware of Cerenkov radiation, generated by particles travelling faster than light can in the medium. I am guessing that he thinks this is an argument for the possibility of travelling faster than light in vacuo. This would be wrong, because, in vacuo, there are no atoms to slow light down, leaving the possibility of fast particles travelling faster than wave-packets of light.
_________
I am guessing at what is in both lucek's and Pulsar's minds, because they do not say.

That's a complete non sequitur if I've ever heard one.
DavidMcC wrote:I'm still trying to imagine what Pulsar's beef is. Does he think I am claiming that maths is useless to physics? Nothing could be further from the truth. The problem I see is that it is very powerful, BUT can be misused (accidentally or otherwise), for example, by leaving out relevant boundary conditions in determining which siolutions to equations are physically meaningful. I suspect that string theorists such as the late "Sonny" White may have committed that error when claiming to have "proved" that it should be possible to reach the Proxima Centauri system in about 2 weeks, earth time (which implies an average speed of nearly 2 orders of magnitude greater than c).

Attacking another strawman? No one has claimed it proven. Not me or Paul or Dr. White.

That Said what's with the "late" comment? From all I can see he's very much alive.
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#659  Postby Veida » Jun 03, 2014 10:04 am

DavidMcC wrote:Thommo, particles with a finite rest mass have a gravitational field of their own. That rest mass is a function of their internal energy. Photons, however, do not have such internal energy. The post that I made, that you think is wrong, is correct. It is only wrong in your mind. I have tried already to explain all this, but you just ignore it.

:wall:

Photons have zero rest mass, and zero is a finite amount. So aren't you saying here that photons have a gravitational field of their own?
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#660  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 03, 2014 1:55 pm

Veida wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Thommo, particles with a finite rest mass have a gravitational field of their own. That rest mass is a function of their internal energy. Photons, however, do not have such internal energy. The post that I made, that you think is wrong, is correct. It is only wrong in your mind. I have tried already to explain all this, but you just ignore it.

:wall:

Photons have zero rest mass, and zero is a finite amount. So aren't you saying here that photons have a gravitational field of their own?

Needless to say, I meant "finite" in the sense of "non-zero". There is that connotation of the word, so I suspect that you chose to ignore it.

EDIT: When a variable cannot be negative, zero becomes one of the extreme values.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics