JPL's FTL project.

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: JPL's FTL project.

#721  Postby lucek » Aug 02, 2014 12:13 pm

How boy was it ever.

Spell check turning an a for o substitution into a completely different word.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#722  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
hackenslash wrote:I should point out by now that the postulate that c cannot be breached has never been subjected to a potentially falsifying test. It's entirely mathematical in nature.

Does the RS charter specify our obligation to chase down woo everywhere it pops up, and kill it dead, like roach hotel?

Well, if it doesn't, they should be grateful for the freedom it gives them to spread the stuff. I do my best to kill it, but get no help from you. Why is that?
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#723  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 02, 2014 3:03 pm

lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:Yup because if there is science fiction about it, somebody on the internet knows it's a scam, and can prove it wrong by saying that it violates non-applicable theories then it's pseudoscience. Oh and observations and math that back it up have no place in the discussion what so ever.

Dave it's been a year. This is beyond tiresome.

You still haven't twigged yet, then. YOU are the one that is beyond tiresome, ffs! The rest may have realised that the whole thing is a pile of woo, violating all the laws of physics at once.

Because I want to have a discussion about theatrical physics and not just sticking my fingers in my ears and repeating the something over and over.

But Dave I'll give you one last chance. You said it violates all the laws of physics. Name 1. And when you do tell me how that squares with the expansion of space time.

Thermodynamics. I supplied a reference a little while back on why negative mass particles violate local conservation of energy, and the laws of thermodynamics, by causing unlimited heating of a gas consisting of a mixture of posistive and negative mass particles. As said, this could be used to construct a perpetual motion machine.
Do you believe in perpetual motion machines?

Ironically, I have the only cosmology that can reconcile (among many other things) accelerated universe expansion with conservation of total energy (of the multiverse).
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#724  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 02, 2014 3:04 pm

... BTW, this is certainly getting "theatrical", I'll give you that!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#725  Postby lucek » Aug 02, 2014 4:07 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:Yup because if there is science fiction about it, somebody on the internet knows it's a scam, and can prove it wrong by saying that it violates non-applicable theories then it's pseudoscience. Oh and observations and math that back it up have no place in the discussion what so ever.

Dave it's been a year. This is beyond tiresome.

You still haven't twigged yet, then. YOU are the one that is beyond tiresome, ffs! The rest may have realised that the whole thing is a pile of woo, violating all the laws of physics at once.

Because I want to have a discussion about theatrical physics and not just sticking my fingers in my ears and repeating the something over and over.

But Dave I'll give you one last chance. You said it violates all the laws of physics. Name 1. And when you do tell me how that squares with the expansion of space time.

Thermodynamics. I supplied a reference a little while back on why negative mass particles violate local conservation of energy, and the laws of thermodynamics, by causing unlimited heating of a gas consisting of a mixture of posistive and negative mass particles. As said, this could be used to construct a perpetual motion machine.

Ironically, I have the only cosmology that can reconcile (among many other things) accelerated universe expansion with conservation of total energy (of the multiverse).

Energy is conserved as it is in our universe of 0 energy. Net energy remains constant arguing that absolute energy content is different doesn't change that.

If you are talking about the idea that negative mass would repel and at the same time attract mass then you are only talking 1 idea of how a theoretical particle may act. One that this work isn't dependent on.

Want to try again?
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#726  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 02, 2014 4:32 pm

lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Energy is conserved as it is in our universe of 0 energy. Net energy remains constant arguing that absolute energy content is different doesn't change that.

You obviously haven't read my articles in the "Loop quantum gravity" thread, where I suggest that accelerated expansion of the universe could be due to a close encounter between this an another one, based on Lee Smolin's fecund, black hole-based universes.
If you are talking about the idea that negative mass would repel and at the same time attract mass then you are only talking 1 idea of how a theoretical particle may act. One that this work isn't dependent on.

D'uh! I was talking about the gravitational force being repulsive between two particles of opposite sign mass, but attractive between two of the same sign. This would be merely an extension of the law of gravity, as promulgated by Isaac Newton, based on observations of positive mass bodies (planets) only.
Of course, the above is hypothetical, as there are no negative mass particles. I was merely stating what we could expect if there really WERE such things.

EDIT: BTW, gravitational repulsion as hypothesised above, does not apply to the supposed gravitational repulsion between galaxies at cosmologically large distances, that some (not me) have inferred occurs without the need to invoke negative mass.
EDIT: The inference of gravitational repulsion would apply at all distances, when masses are of opposite sign. This is quite different fron repulsion at very large distances, when masses are of the same sign.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#727  Postby lucek » Aug 02, 2014 4:52 pm

You've still not shown how the equation .5Mv2+.5(-)Mv2=0 is wrong.

So moving on,
You said it violates all the laws of physics. Name 1. And when you do tell me how that squares with the expansion of space time.
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#728  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 02, 2014 5:02 pm

lucek wrote:You've still not shown how the equation .5Mv2+.5(-)Mv2=0 is wrong.

Well, that is not even wrong. It's also a truism, equivalent to 0 = 0. Furthermore, it suggests to me that you think that (non-relativistic) kinetic energy of motion is the ONLY form of energy, AND that there is an equal amount of negative mass matter and positive mass matter. These are both wild assertions, especially as they assume negative mass particles exist and are equally abundant to positive. But if that makes you feel happy, you are free to believe it, I supose.
So moving on,
You said it violates all the laws of physics. Name 1. And when you do tell me how that squares with the expansion of space time.

I have already answered that. :roll:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#729  Postby lucek » Aug 02, 2014 5:17 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

Well, that is not even wrong. It's also a truism, equivalent to 0 = 0. Furthermore, it suggests to me that you think that (non-relativistic) kinetic energy of motion is the ONLY form of energy, AND that there is an equal amount of negative mass matter and positive mass matter. These are both wild assertions, especially as they assume negative mass particles exist and are equally abundant to positive. But if that makes you feel happy, you are free to believe it, I supose.

No it's a simplified proof of how negative matter doesn't violate thermodynamics. It is a direct reply to your PPM strawman argument. Energy can be conserved even if we have 2 particles that repel each other.

Dave this looks very trolish. How could you not understand something you brought up just a few posts ago so poorly that you call it crap now?
So moving on,

And I showed you were talking tosh, so do you have an actual example or do you want to retract.
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#730  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 02, 2014 5:35 pm

lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

No it's a simplified proof of how negative matter doesn't violate thermodynamics. It is a direct reply to your PPM strawman argument. Energy can be conserved even if we have 2 particles that repel each other.

Dave this looks very trolish. How could you not understand something you brought up just a few posts ago so poorly that you call it crap now?
So moving on,

And I showed you were talking tosh, so do you have an actual example or do you want to retract.

I admire your bravado, I must say. I was not "talking tosh", just exposing yours.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#731  Postby lucek » Aug 02, 2014 5:48 pm

I'm not pulling this out of my ass Dave. The equation I gave you was originally penned by Hermann Bondi. He covered it quite some time ago and showed that in fact no negative mass doesn't by it's nature violate conservation of energy.

That said I'm out. Troll, stupid, or what ever you are I'm not dealing with this. Either way you've have not and probably you will not take a mature look at anything to do with this topic.
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#732  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 02, 2014 6:21 pm

lucek wrote:I'm not pulling this out of my ass Dave. The equation I gave you was originally penned by Hermann Bondi. He covered it quite some time ago and showed that in fact no negative mass doesn't by it's nature violate conservation of energy.

That said I'm out. Troll, stupid, or what ever you are I'm not dealing with this. Either way you've have not and probably you will not take a mature look at anything to do with this topic.

Denouncing mainstream physics as "stupid" or "trollery" does not impress me, lucek. Clearly, you are looking for an exit strategy.
Well, good riddance.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#733  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Objections (to my "no FTL" claim) posted in another thread include the fact that particles may travel at FTL speed near a black hole. However, IMO, that is only because the speed of light is reduced as it "struggles up" a severe gravitational gradient. Hence the red-shifting of light orbitting just outside the event horizon. Thus, it is comparable to the cause of Cerenkov radiation in a dielectric medium (which also effectively reduces the local speed of light).
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#734  Postby hackenslash » Dec 23, 2014 3:46 pm

My objection to your 'no FTL' claim is that you can't support it with anything other than an unproven and entirely mathematical postulate and lies about the positions of others.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#735  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 23, 2014 3:49 pm

... Furthermore, the "black hole" argument is not relevant to "Sonny" White's claim to be have designed a space-ship that can travel at FTL speed to Alpha Centauri, since there are no BH's between here and there. All he needed, apparently, was some negative mass matter and a couple of black holes engineered to form an asymmetric shell. :roll:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#736  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 23, 2014 3:54 pm

hackenslash wrote:My objection to your 'no FTL' claim is that you can't support it with anything other than an unproven and entirely mathematical postulate and lies about the positions of others.

And how about support for your FTL claims? That's b*ll*cks for a start. My claim that White's claim is nonsense is backed by the physical impossibiloity of negative mass particles, whatever nonsense Hermann Bondi may have dreamed up. The guy was good at solid state physics, but out of his element with this.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#737  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Deleted - double post.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#738  Postby twistor59 » Dec 23, 2014 4:47 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
hackenslash wrote:My objection to your 'no FTL' claim is that you can't support it with anything other than an unproven and entirely mathematical postulate and lies about the positions of others.

And how about support for your FTL claims? That's b*ll*cks for a start. My claim that White's claim is nonsense is backed by the physical impossibiloity of negative mass particles, whatever nonsense Hermann Bondi may have dreamed up. The guy was good at solid state physics, but out of his element with this.

Question on GR, who do you call? Hermann Bondi or Dave McCulloch? Nah, can't choose.......
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#739  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 23, 2014 4:52 pm

twistor59 wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Question on GR, who do you call? Hermann Bondi or Dave McCulloch? Nah, can't choose.......

A. Bondi is not supported by the science community as a whole on this issue.
B. He is out of his element when not discussing solid state physics.
You seem to think that anyone with a name for anything is right about anything else, and that's a non-sequitur.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#740  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 23, 2014 4:56 pm

... Let me put it another way: how many experimental particle physicists are looking for negative mass particles, and how many theoretical particle physicists have extended the standard model to incorporate them? I think the answer to both questions is: NONE!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics