JPL's FTL project.

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: JPL's FTL project.

#81  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Oh, come on. All we need is some Jeffries tubes. And EPS taps.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#82  Postby Ironclad » Sep 05, 2013 3:19 pm

This proposed warp bubble isn't a black hole dangling in front of a spaceship like a carrot & donkey situation, at least I don't think it is or we'd be reading about travelling on the crest of a moving event horizon.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#83  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 05, 2013 3:21 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:What about the warping of space, the method being explored by the gentleman in the article? I don't believe there is any theoretical limitation to this type of FTL travel, only an energy requirement limitation.

And what do you think "warps space"?

Energy.

But I don't see how this is a theoretical barrier. Please explain.

Not quite right, CdP. It takes a black hole to warp space.

EDIT: Or do you think that light might be trapped in orbit round a powerful rocket motor?

The Earth warps space. The Earth is not a black hole. Even you and I warp space. Any energy, in the form of matter or not, warps space.

Again this is an energy problem not a theoretical limitation.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 05, 2013 3:26 pm

Thommo wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Thommo wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
They may not explicitly state it, but the implication is clear Even then...

No David, it isn't. You're making stuff up.

DavidMcC wrote:...worm-holes don't form, and they are an essential part of warp-drive "theory".

Again, this isn't the case, nor is it supported by any of the links you've provided. You're just making stuff up.

Who taught you physics? Dr Samantha Carter?

EDIT: It's the Trekkies that make stuff up, not me.

Really, can't you just stop with the knee-jerk immaturity and think about what you write for a few seconds? If you aren't making this stuff up where are you getting it from? There may well be good physical reasons for thinking that the Alcubierre metric cannot be physically realised, but that doesn't mean that it's a wormhole or that you can just pretend that the sources you link to say that it is, nor can you pretend that it involves black holes or that all wormholes involve black holes according to your links or that all black holes result in instant destruction of matter passing within their event horizons (as pointed out earlier in the case of black holes of sufficient size)...

Anyway, I repeat my question. If you aren't just making this stuff up, where does it come from? What's the justification for the claims*?

* Specifically "It takes a black hole to warp space.", "worm-holes don't form, and they are an essential part of warp-drive "theory".".

Thommo, all Alcubierre said is that iff there are galaxies so remote that they are receding at FTL, then we are, ipso facto, travelling at FTL wrt them, without even trying. However, as I have already said, such galaxies might not even exist, and even if they do, they do not help us travel at FTL wrt anything in the local universe.
Also, I never said BHs instantaneously destroy matter, although only the supermassive ones, like Sagittarius A* can swallow someone to inside their event horizon without tearing them apart in the process. Like I said before, I would take part in a test run, PROVIDED you go first!
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Thommo » Sep 05, 2013 3:32 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Thommo, all Alcubierre said is that iff there are galaxies so remote that they are receding at FTL, then we are, ipso facto, travelling at FTL wrt them, without even trying.

Again, you're misrepresenting the facts enormously:-

(i) The best physical theories predict such galaxies exist, so it isn't a controversial assumption.
(ii) The galaxies don't need to exist for there to be space (and thus IFs) beyond the observable universe, making your "iff" condition incorrect.
(iii) We are discussing an Alcubierre paper about a metric describing a space warp, which says a fuck of a lot more than this one trivial point and it was this metric that we were explicitly discussing. Additionally the existence of the aforementioned galaxies has no impact on this part of the discussion.

DavidMcC wrote:However, as I have already said, such galaxies might not even exist, and even if they do, they do not help us travel at FTL wrt anything in the local universe.
Also, I never said BHs instantaneously destroy matter, although only the supermassive ones, like Sagittarius A* can swallow someone to inside their event horizon without tearing them apart in the process. Like I said before, I would take part in a test run, PROVIDED you go first!

Ok, now how about you answer the question?

"If you aren't just making this stuff up, where does it come from? What's the justification for the claims*?

* Specifically "It takes a black hole to warp space.", "worm-holes don't form, and they are an essential part of warp-drive "theory"."."
Last edited by Thommo on Sep 05, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#86  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 05, 2013 3:33 pm

David,

A black hole is not a requirement for warping space.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#87  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 05, 2013 3:34 pm

The concept of "warping space" may have been misunderstood by many. The fact that, for example, the earth orbits the sun does not mean that space itslf is warped into a circle, for if it was, then light itself would also be orbiting the sun
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#88  Postby twistor59 » Sep 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Thommo wrote:

"If you aren't just making this stuff up, where does it come from? What's the justification for the claims*?

* Specifically "It takes a black hole to warp space.", "worm-holes don't form, and they are an essential part of warp-drive "theory"."."

Everybody knows that must be true. All the scifi literature says so. It's those evil mathematicians who are trying to depict it in a different light....with their talk of "metrics", "Riemann curvature tensors" and the like....
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#89  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Thommo wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Thommo, all Alcubierre said is that iff there are galaxies so remote that they are receding at FTL, then we are, ipso facto, travelling at FTL wrt them, without even trying.

Again, you're misrepresenting the facts enormously:-

(i) The best physical theories predict such galaxies exist, so it isn't a controversial assumption.
(ii) The galaxies don't need to exist for there to be space (and thus IFs) beyond the observable universe, making your "iff" condition incorrect.
(iii) We are discussing an Alcubierre paper about a metric describing a space warp, which says a fuck of a lot more than this one trivial point and it was this metric that we were explicitly discussing. Additionally the existence of the aforementioned galaxies has no impact on this part of the discussion.

DavidMcC wrote:However, as I have already said, such galaxies might not even exist, and even if they do, they do not help us travel at FTL wrt anything in the local universe.

I have already answered the point, and you are just BS-ing about it[/thread]
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Thommo » Sep 05, 2013 3:38 pm

DavidMcC wrote:The concept of "warping space" may have been misunderstood by many. The fact that, for example, the earth orbits the sun does not mean that space itslf is warped into a circle, for if it was, then light itself would also be orbiting the sun

Nobody has said this. The fact remains however that both the Earth and the Sun warp spacetime this is a basic result of general relativity. You're simply imagining beliefs for other people that they don't hold.
Thommo

Print view this post

#91  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 05, 2013 3:39 pm

twistor59 wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Everybody knows that must be true. All the scifi literature says so. It's those evil mathematicians who are trying to depict it in a different light....with their talk of "metrics", "Riemann curvature tensors" and the like....

Mathematicians certainly do contribute to the problem, for sure!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Thommo » Sep 05, 2013 3:40 pm

twistor59 wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Oh, I see thanks, that explains it.

PS: Thanks for the sceptical response paper, I couldn't follow all the details (university is but a distant and hazy recollection these days) but what I could follow was very interesting. I couldn't help wondering what the gravitational field distribution across the "warp bubble" would be either - perhaps I'm missing something but the asymmetry of the bubble seems to suggest there could be a "push" from the front and a "pull" from the back inside, although I lack the tools to work this out for myself.
Thommo

Print view this post

#93  Postby Thommo » Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Thommo wrote:Ok, now how about you answer the question?

I have already answered the point, and you are just BS-ing about it[/thread]

Where? Which post answers the specific question of where these claims* come from?

* "It takes a black hole to warp space.", "worm-holes don't form, and they are an essential part of warp-drive "theory"
Thommo

Print view this post

#94  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 05, 2013 3:44 pm

:roll:
[/thread]
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Thommo » Sep 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Again, if you've answered the question, where's the answer? Is it written in white text on a white background or something?
Thommo

Print view this post

#96  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 05, 2013 3:48 pm

I will not be harrassed by a bunch of Trekkies with attitusde.
This reminds me of the aggression I had from earth expansion...
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Thommo » Sep 05, 2013 3:52 pm

Here's some more "Trekkies" you'd better go and post childish emotes at, worst of all was that Einstein bugger! They all have this horrible idea that massive bodies curve space! :snooty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introducti ... relativity

General relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein between 1907 and 1915. According to general relativity, the observed gravitational effect between masses results from their warping of spacetime.

PS: You didn't ever answer where the claims* come from, so I'll assume that I was in fact correct and you did indeed simply make them up.

* "It takes a black hole to warp space.", "worm-holes don't form, and they are an essential part of warp-drive "theory"
Thommo

Print view this post

#98  Postby Nostalgia » Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm

I don't understand... how could this thread of ended twice? Unless of course IT'S TRAVELLING AT FTL SPEEDS!!!!
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#99  Postby lucek » Sep 05, 2013 4:26 pm

DavidMcC wrote::roll:
[/thread]

I'd actualy want to point something out. You've been derailing you're own thread from the OP. You claimed this was about the "JPL's FTL project" when in fact you've not yet even talked about it just you're personal misconceptions about FTL as a concept.

So Dave doesn't want talk about this anymore. I say let him. All in favor get back on topic and talk about the bloody article this is supposed to be about.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#100  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 05, 2013 4:39 pm

lucek wrote:
DavidMcC wrote::roll:
[/thread]

I'd actualy want to point something out. You've been derailing you're own thread from the OP. You claimed this was about the "JPL's FTL project" when in fact you've not yet even talked about it just you're personal misconceptions about FTL as a concept.

So Dave doesn't want talk about this anymore. I say let him. All in favor get back on topic and talk about the bloody article this is supposed to be about.

Bullshit. It was you lot that who brought in the other issues, I just responded. Also, I do not have misconceptions of FTL.
I have obviously stirred up a "hornets' nest" of emotional attachments to Star Trek style travel. I had no idea it was so deep in this site.
I have always argued that it may be necessary to be atheist to be a clear thinker, but it is not sufficient, and the Trekkie faction is proof of that.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics